Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 Basketball line up

Started by PorkSoda, April 14, 2008, 06:25:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

April 14, 2008, 06:25:15 pm Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:11:00 pm by PorkSoda
I originally posted this in the recruiting forum ( http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=213964.0 ) but figured this might be the more appropriate place

With all the transfers and new signees, and possible signees, what does our depth chart look like next year?  I know it has been discussed in a few different threads, but I think its time to figure out exactly what we are looking at next year.

Here is what I have so far, maybe some of you have some thoughts on the different line ups with this versatile team.

1st Team

C - Micheal Washington - Jr 6'10" - 224
PF - Michael Sanchez - RFr 6-8 - 231
SF - Daniel Payne - Jr 6-7 - 200SF - Jason Henry Fr - 6-7 190
SG - Patrick Beverly - Jr - 6-1 - 180 - Rotnie Clarke - Fr 6-0 175
PG - Cortney Fortson - Fr 5-10 - 175

2nd Team

C - Andre Clarke - Fr - 6-9 205
PF - Brandon Moore - Fr - 6-9 180
SF - Montrell McDonald, 6-6, 185 JUCO
SG - Marcus Britt So 6-2 191
PG - Stefan Welsh - Jr- 6-2 185

Other

Stephen Cox Jr 6-3 199

Possible for 08

? I forget if there is anyone still on our list ?

Commits for 09

Marshawn Powell - 6-8 225 - PF
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

roundball

A lot of overachieving is going to have to occur if we're going to be successful next year!

PorkSoda

We will have a lot of young guys for sure.  I expect a lot of hard play, but also a lot of mistakes.  We will win some on pure athletic ability, but will lose many on inexperience.  Given time, this group of kids will be really good, but it will take time.  I think an NIT bid would be just what the doctor ordered.  If they can go deep in that field (ie South Carolina a couple years ago), It would be a quality post season experience.  Its not that these kids don't have talent, it is just that there way too many youngsters in the bunch.  Once this team developes some chemistry and earns their stripes in the SEC, they have the potential to be really good.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

dotnet

We should wait a week and let some of the late signers sign and then we can really have a conversation about this.

PorkSoda

April 14, 2008, 11:35:03 pm #4 Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 11:37:29 pm by PorkSoda
Quote from: dotnet on April 14, 2008, 10:43:48 pm
We should wait a week and let some of the late signers sign and then we can really have a conversation about this.
There is definitely a lot up in the air right now.  I get the feeling that pel is the type to sign whoever he thinks might give the team a chance to win now, and deal with next year when he gets there.  He is not shy about pulling a schollie if he thinks he can get somebody better.  Hopefully he doesn't make a habit of that, as he will end up burning a few bridges in the process.  He doesn't seem scared to go after big time recruits, and if we end up with even 1 or 2, we could turn into a contender pretty quickly.  Its really hard to judge young talent.  Playing in HS is nothing like playing in the SEC or other power conferences, but some guys just seem to have the IT factor.  I'm not holding my breath for a NC run, but I definitely think we will win some games next year.

rude1

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 14, 2008, 08:40:08 pm
We will have a lot of young guys for sure.  I expect a lot of hard play, but also a lot of mistakes.  We will win some on pure athletic ability, but will lose many on inexperience.  Given time, this group of kids will be really good, but it will take time.  I think an NIT bid would be just what the doctor ordered.  If they can go deep in that field (ie South Carolina a couple years ago), It would be a quality post season experience.  Its not that these kids don't have talent, it is just that there way too many youngsters in the bunch.  Once this team developes some chemistry and earns their stripes in the SEC, they have the potential to be really good.
Beware, you are saying exactly the same thing that was being said with the talent that was on our last team. College basketball is no longer a sport where you bring in kids and wait a few years to try and develop them. If your kids are not good enough on day one, chances are they aren't going to be much better on senior day. What I see in this class coming in is, a foundation of role players that will struggle to win next season. IMO it is imperative that Pel steps it up on his next recruiting class, and land one or two of the top blue chippers. With that kind of addition to the current group of role players it is possible that this program can once again become a serious contender in the SEC. Without it, I think we are looking at more hoping and praying to get on the bubble for the next three or four years.

PorkSoda

Quote from: rude1 on April 15, 2008, 12:22:09 am
Beware, you are saying exactly the same thing that was being said with the talent that was on our last team. College basketball is no longer a sport where you bring in kids and wait a few years to try and develop them. If your kids are not good enough on day one, chances are they aren't going to be much better on senior day. What I see in this class coming in is, a foundation of role players that will struggle to win next season. IMO it is imperative that Pel steps it up on his next recruiting class, and land one or two of the top blue chippers. With that kind of addition to the current group of role players it is possible that this program can once again become a serious contender in the SEC. Without it, I think we are looking at more hoping and praying to get on the bubble for the next three or four years.
Getting one of those Lance Stephenson or favors type players would definitely kick start the program.  Unfortunately we won't get one of those this late in the game.  In 09, we need to bring in at least one of that caliber of player.  Someone who can come in and be a goto guy.  In 08 however we will have to struggle with what we have.  It won't be a bad team by anymeans, but they will have to overachieve to see any post season action.

Adam Stokes

Well, we finally know what we have to work with.  We aren't getting Nick to help us out.  So with that I have to agree with the opening post,

PG - Courtney Fortson
SG - Patrick Beverly
SF - Daniel Payne
PF - Michael Sanchez
C - Michael Washington

Look for us to often go with a three guard two forward lineup or throw in a ton of lanky forwards at once.  Sanchez will often be the bulkiest guy on the floor because I still don't see Washington getting over 25 minutes a game. 

kibster

PG - Fortson
SG- Bev
SF - Henry
SF/PF - Payne
PF - Sanchez

Since we really do not have a Center, no use calling one in the starting line-up.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

hs6

The line up will prettty much be different from game to game.

heathtits

Quote from: kibster on April 21, 2008, 06:07:33 pm
PG - Fortson
SG- Bev
SF - Henry
SF/PF - Payne
PF - Sanchez

Since we really do not have a Center, no use calling one in the starting line-up.

Washington will start next season.

Hoggy1

Quote from: hs6 on April 21, 2008, 07:13:54 pm
The line up will prettty much be different from game to game.

doubt that, Beverley, Fortson, Washington and IMO Henry will lock up 4/5 spots most of the season.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

dotnet

I agree with the original poster too.  I think we go:

pg - fortson
sg - pbev
sf - payne/henry
pf - washington
pf - sanchez

I wouldn't call either of those players a center.  I think you would say we're playing with two forwards down low instead of an actual center.

I really feel like we can be some what sure what we're going to get out of Bev, Sanchez, Payne, Henry, Fortson, Welsh, Clarke, and Britt (with the understanding that they're all college kids so things happen good and bad).  I think the real variables are Washington, Clark, and Moore.  They have a lot of upside (especially Washington), and if they play well, then our team gets really deep and really talented in a hurry and we start talking about where we're seeded.  If they don't play well then I think we start hoping for a nice run in the NIT.

chiefsfan

11 scholarship players so far for next year

Washington
Sanchez
Payne
Beverley
Fortson

1st off the Bench

Rotnei Clarke   Jason Henry  Stefan Welsh
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

kibster

I HOPE Washington keeps the starting job all season.  I just do not think it will happen.  I think that one of the freshmen will knock him off.   After watching him all last season I just do not think he has what it takes mentally to be a big time player on the team.  He is one of the most gifted players on the term physically.  he is really going to have to work on his game drastically to keep one of the Freshman from taking his spot early.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

Razorvet

Next season will be when we miss Cyrus McGowan.

hs6

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on April 21, 2008, 09:35:18 pm
doubt that, Beverley, Fortson, Washington and IMO Henry will lock up 4/5 spots most of the season.
That still means somebody else in that fifth spot would change from to game to game. Technically I'm still right ;)

PorkSoda

Montrell McDonald, 6-6, 185 out of JUCO could be an option to replace Payne.  I heard he is a great defender, but not as good a shot as Payne.

http://blogs.arkansasonline.com/recruiting/

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=215664.0

kibster

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 30, 2008, 02:05:57 pm
Montrell McDonald, 6-6, 185 out of JUCO could be an option to replace Payne.  I heard he is a great defender, but not as good a shot as Payne.

http://blogs.arkansasonline.com/recruiting/

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=215664.0

He guarded Payne twice this year and held him to 0 and 1 point for the entire game.  I think that more than makes up for what he loses offensively compared to Payne.

hogblade

I'm looking forward to this Stephen Welsh Jr. kid. He sounds promising.

PorkSoda

Quote from: hogblade on April 30, 2008, 06:15:09 pm
I'm looking forward to this Stephen Welsh Jr. kid. He sounds promising.
fixed.

PorkSoda

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=222264.0
looks like McDonald is a Hog.

Who do you think will start at SF?  McDonald or Henry?

kibster

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 16, 2008, 02:22:22 pm
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=222264.0
looks like McDonald is a Hog.

Who do you think will start at SF?  McDonald or Henry?

I think it will be Henry.   He is a bigger skill, but McDonald will be very valuable in the pressing game.

PorkSoda

Quote from: kibster on May 16, 2008, 02:41:10 pm
I think it will be Henry.   He is a bigger skill, but McDonald will be very valuable in the pressing game.
I wonder if McDonald could be a Brewer type player, with long arms that hijack passing lanes, decent shooter etc.

PorkSoda

With Beverly out, what does our Shooting Guard situation look like?

PeytonManningSUCKS

I think Rotnei is the number 2 pg with welsh spelling him at sg.  That puts Rotnei on the court alot I know.  Maybe just buying the hype, but from what I hear we want him on the court alot.

cobra kai

Quote from: RanSolo on August 13, 2008, 02:40:09 pm
I think Rotnei is the number 2 pg with welsh spelling him at sg.  That puts Rotnei on the court alot I know.  Maybe just buying the hype, but from what I hear we want him on the court alot.

yeah, people forget Rotnei is a good pg as well.  Without Beverly, though, we definitely need someone else to step up and hit from outside.  We don't want to have to rely solely on clarke for perimeter shooting.

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: cobra kai on August 13, 2008, 02:51:06 pm
yeah, people forget Rotnei is a good pg as well.  Without Beverly, though, we definitely need someone else to step up and hit from outside.  We don't want to have to rely solely on clarke for perimeter shooting.
Welsh got hot towards the end of the year.  Hopefully he's been working hard.  We'll need him to play well now for sure...

PorkSoda

Hopefully Marcus Britt has improved.  He looked absolutely lost last year.