Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 Basketball line up?

Started by PorkSoda, April 14, 2008, 12:47:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

April 14, 2008, 12:47:11 pm Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 02:19:12 pm by PorkSoda
With all the transfers and new signees, and possible signees, what does our depth chart look like next year?  I know it has been discussed in a few different threads, but I think its time to figure out exactly what we are looking at next year, sizes and weights included.

Here is what I have so far, maybe some of you can fill in the missing info.

1st Team

C - Micheal Washington Jr 6'10" - 224
PF - Michael Sanchez RFr 6-8 - 231
SF - Daniel Payne Jr 6-7 - 200 - Jason Henry Fr - 6-7 190
SG - Patrick Beverly Jr - 6-1 - 180
PG - Cortney Fortson Fr 5-10 - 175

2nd Team

C - Andre Clarke Fr- 6-9 205
PF - Brandon Moore Fr - 6-9 180
SF - Montrell McDonald JUCO 6-6 - 185
SG - Rotnie Clarke Fr 6-0 175
PG - Stephen Welsh Jr- 6-2 185

Other

Stephen Cox Jr 6-3 199
Marcus Britt So 6-2 191

Possible in 08

Devon Dumas ?
Nick Williams SG - 6-4 - 200
JeJuan Brown ?

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

mbgrulz

I think it looks like this:

Fortson
Bev
Henry
Payne
Fill in post player.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 14, 2008, 12:50:37 pm
I think it looks like this:

Fortson
Bev
Henry
Payne
Fill in post player.

I agree Jason Henry is going to start and steal someone minutes from the jump he is that good.  On the other side of the coin I don't see anyone other than Courtney Fortson logging major minutes ala WHOLESALE SUBSTITUTIONS (full court press baby)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

PorkSoda

Another lineup I could see would be

Michael Washington
Clarke or Moore
Daniel Payne
Jason Henry
Cortney Forton
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

returntoglory

that is some good height out on the floor.

Hoggy1

Quote from: returntoglory on April 14, 2008, 01:29:03 pm
that is some good height out on the floor.

just thinking that myself.....the future is very bright.

I don't see any reason the NCAA tourney is too far of a stretch next season...atleast as a 10 or 11 seed, which I would take with a team of youngsters.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on April 14, 2008, 01:19:53 pm
WHOLESALE SUBSTITUTIONS (full court press baby)

Me gusta el sonido de eso, EStewie!!!!
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

jwhite_13

I would have to say

5. Washington
4. Sanchez
3. Jason Henry
2. Beverly
1. Forston

hawgsav1

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on April 14, 2008, 01:19:53 pm
I agree Jason Henry is going to start and steal someone minutes from the jump he is that good.  On the other side of the coin I don't see anyone other than Courtney Fortson logging major minutes ala WHOLESALE SUBSTITUTIONS (full court press baby)

I know Pelphrey runs the up-tempo style, but he's not all about the substitutions like Nolan was.  Nolan's team's were like a swarm.  Pelphrey's teams will be swarming at times, but I don't think they will be that much of a pressing and running and gunning.

I'd guess:

1. Fortson
2. Beverley
3. Henryh
4. Payne/Sanchez
5. Washington

Payne is listed as a 3/4 combo forward.  We give up a lot of size with Payne at the 4, but he's supposedly an efficient scorer...
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

PorkSoda

I like Jason Henry at the SG position, as he will likely have a size advantage, and should be athletic enough to keep up with smaller SG's and smother them on Defense.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: hawgsav1 on April 14, 2008, 11:35:03 pm
I know Pelphrey runs the up-tempo style, but he's not all about the substitutions like Nolan was.  Nolan's team's were like a swarm.  Pelphrey's teams will be swarming at times, but I don't think they will be that much of a pressing and running and gunning.

he did not have the ball handlers or the length and athleticism it takes to run an effective pressing game.

you couple those shortcomings with poor outside shooting, which enables the defense to clog the lane preventing slashers from doing their thing, and you have stan heath recruited southern big ten team.

these players remind my of those freaky athletic alabama teams from the horry, robison, and spreewell era.

this team will run you until you puke.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

VirginiaHog

Fortson
Beverly
Henry
Payne
Washington

The_Iceman

we have no video on Jason Henry or Daniel Payne, so how can anyone say which on is better?

tbhogfan

I'm going to be conservative until I see how well the incoming players adjust.   I hope that they all are incredible on day one, but experience tells me that some of them will develop more slowly, which will effect the depth and substitution pattern. 
Go Hogs!

returntoglory

i think you are right, but i also think that the juco players and fortson will be ready from day one. both clark's and moore will probably need some time to develop.

Beaverfever

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 15, 2008, 08:45:52 am
we have no video on Jason Henry or Daniel Payne, so how can anyone say which on is better?
For one, Jason Henry is from Arkansas.

returntoglory

i know that makes me a better athlete than anybody from the other 49 states.

PorkSoda

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 15, 2008, 08:45:52 am
Who cares, they are both good players and both coming to arkansas.  DP is a SF/PF and JH is a SF/SG.  They are both versatile and good athletes, and both will see a lot of minutes next year.

FSHog67

1st Team

C -  Andre Clarke Fr- 6-9 205   
SF - Daniel Payne Jr 6-7 - 200

2nd Team
SG-Patrick Beverly Jr - 6-1 - 180

SF - Jason Henry Fr - 6-7 190

Other

Stephen Cox Jr 6-3 199
Marcus Britt So 6-2 191

Not impressed with MW's play this season at all, can't bang without fouling, rebounding nonexistent.
PB's play impresses me more of an undersized 3 than a SG.  The SG has to be able to shoot the 3 consistently to relieve the pressure inside.  PB did not show that to me this year, if anything regressed in scoring potential , even seemed to be hesitent or unsure to shoot the behind the line.

Beaverfever

Quote from: returntoglory on April 15, 2008, 12:46:09 pm
i know that makes me a better athlete than anybody from the other 49 states.
My point is a few people in this state have seen him...Just because some poster hasn't seen a video online doesn't mean that nobody has any clue about a player's talent.  There are many people that are familiar with jason henry in arkansas.

The_Iceman

Quote from: FSHog67 on April 15, 2008, 03:57:38 pm
1st Team

C -  Andre Clarke Fr- 6-9 205  
SF - Daniel Payne Jr 6-7 - 200

2nd Team
SG-Patrick Beverly Jr - 6-1 - 180

SF - Jason Henry Fr - 6-7 190

Other

Stephen Cox Jr 6-3 199
Marcus Britt So 6-2 191

Not impressed with MW's play this season at all, can't bang without fouling, rebounding nonexistent.
PB's play impresses me more of an undersized 3 than a SG.  The SG has to be able to shoot the 3 consistently to relieve the pressure inside.  PB did not show that to me this year, if anything regressed in scoring potential , even seemed to be hesitent or unsure to shoot the behind the line.

so your starting lineup will have 5 players who none of them saw the floor last season?

hawgsav1

Quote from: semohawg on April 15, 2008, 01:27:02 am

he did not have the ball handlers or the length and athleticism it takes to run an effective pressing game.

you couple those shortcomings with poor outside shooting, which enables the defense to clog the lane preventing slashers from doing their thing, and you have stan heath recruited southern big ten team.

these players remind my of those freaky athletic alabama teams from the horry, robison, and spreewell era.

this team will run you until you puke.

I understand that about this season, but I should have mentioned the guide I was looking at was Rick Pitino's squads and Donovan's squads.  I assumed just as Stan Heath was a carbon copy of Tom Izzo, I assumed Pelphrey would run something similar to what Pitino and Donovan did.

PorkSoda

Quote from: FSHog67 on April 15, 2008, 03:57:38 pm

Maybe so, but hopefully MW will step it up as he will be our only returning post player with experience.  Hopefully he will find his groove, because we will need him.

As far as Beverly is concerned, I really think he might have a breakout year next year.  He kind of got in a slump as far as shooting was concerned, but he was the consumate hustle player.  We will need him as well.

FSHog67

yes--None of them will have seen SEC action and some not even out of high school.  I sure I could be incorrect--I certainly hope so, however next season will be like Florida's season this year , we will just bite the bullit and give the best future players experience for the following year.  The only one where I question my own judgement is PB,

PorkSoda

There will be nothing dominant about our team next year.  They will have to scrap to win games.  A run in the NIT is the best we can hope for.  To me the wild card is really Rotnie Clarke.  Can he really come in and drain 3's against SEC competition?  I don't know.  He really has a nose for the bucket, so I can see him draining an open 3, but I have a hard time seeing him get open very often. 

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 15, 2008, 06:52:35 pm

As far as Beverly is concerned, I really think he might have a breakout year next year.  He kind of got in a slump as far as shooting was concerned, but he was the consumate hustle player.  We will need him as well.
Perhaps if the players around him live up to their potential, the increased game pace and additional scoring threats (especially from the outside) will help Beverly's game.

I thought he seemed to let the pressure of being one of the teams few outside threats get to him, especially early in the year before Weems and Welsh began hitting better from outside. When the pace was faster, he seemed to shoot better. As an aside: if our other players hustle as Beverly does, we'll be in good shape.

PorkSoda

If rumors are true, I guess our starting line-up may look more like this

Fortson
Henry or R. Clarke
Payne or Henry
Sanchez
Washington

opineonswine

May have to ix-nay, the Bev-pay.

bsking

Forston
Henry
Payne
Clarke
Sanchez

Hoggy1

Quote from: opineonswine on April 16, 2008, 03:30:35 pm
May have to ix-nay, the Bev-pay.

I'm with ya, i DOUBT Beverley is back next year.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

hawgsav1

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on April 16, 2008, 04:22:02 pm
I'm with ya, i DOUBT Beverley is back next year.

Why?  What's going to happen?  He'll give up college basketball for a career in underwater basket weaving?

GRIMMHOG

I bet we see Payne at PF more than SF.
Fortson PG
BEV or Clarke SG
Henry SF
Payne PF
Washington or Sachez C
Embrace the Pain

mbgrulz

Quote from: GRIMMHOG on April 16, 2008, 05:37:04 pm
I bet we see Payne at PF more than SF.
Fortson PG
BEV or Clarke SG
Henry SF
Payne PF
Washington or Sachez C
Yeah esp. if we add henry AND N. Williams

PorkSoda

Quote from: hawgsav1 on April 16, 2008, 05:23:25 pm
Why?  What's going to happen?  He'll give up college basketball for a career in underwater basket weaving?
It probably pays more than college basketball.  I hope he is here next year, but he is the only one that knows for sure.

imhogwild2

this will not be the starting 5 but i would like to see a big press with a 3 guard lineup
Fortson- PG
Britt - SG
Beverly - SG/SF
Henry - PF
Washington C
Bring back slobbering hog. Member Since 12/1/2006

mbgrulz

Quote from: imhogwild2 on April 16, 2008, 10:40:33 pm
this will not be the starting 5 but i would like to see a big press with a 3 guard lineup
Fortson- PG
Britt - SG
Beverly - SG/SF
Henry - PF
Washington C
That's actually a pretty small lineup.

you'd line up 5-10, 6-2, 6-1, 6-7, 6-10.

A bigger lineup would be:
Fortson 5-10
Bev 6-1      or   Nick Williams  6-5
Henry 6-7
Payne 6-7
Washington 6-10

PorkSoda

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 17, 2008, 10:00:15 am

Fortson 5-10
Bev 6-1      or   Nick Williams  6-5
Henry 6-7
Payne 6-7
Washington 6-10
Well you can strike Nick Williams and Payne

hawgsav1

So looks like it will beL

Fortson
Beverley
Henry
Sanchez
Washington

it's funny, cuz everyone thought Henry was the academic risk...

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: hawgsav1 on May 12, 2008, 11:04:13 pm
So looks like it will beL

Fortson
Beverley
Henry
Sanchez
Washington

it's funny, cuz everyone thought Henry was the academic risk...
Did Henry ever qualify?

PorkSoda

So who do you think will start as SF?  McDonald or Henry?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 16, 2008, 02:20:07 pm
So who do you think will start as SF?  McDonald or Henry?

Henry should over McDonald...and that's only if we don't start Welsh alongside Beverley to start the season. Henry should get better by SEC play, but we shouldn't expect him to mesh with the others right of the bat.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 17, 2008, 10:00:15 am

Fortson 5-10
Bev 6-1      or   Nick Williams  6-5
Henry 6-7
Payne 6-7
Washington 6-10

Big press...not big in size
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

preach33

Mental toughness is what i want to see - the get it done attitude.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: tbhogfan on April 15, 2008, 09:17:26 am
I'm going to be conservative until I see how well the incoming players adjust.   I hope that they all are incredible on day one, but experience tells me that some of them will develop more slowly, which will effect the depth and substitution pattern. 
This is a prudent approach. I agree entirely. The future looks very bright, but there will be some bumps along the road.