Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

True Freshman QB's

Started by ballinhog, July 06, 2006, 06:24:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinhog

I was thinking abt MM starting on game 1 of the season and was wondering if there was any other true freshmans QB's that started from the begining and had success

Extra Point

I'm not sure if Chris Leak started the first game of his frosh season, but he certainly had success as a true frosh.

He has not done as well under Urban Meyer since he is mostly a drop back passer and their new system doesn't utilize that type of player.

Hollywood_HOGan

I cant remember if Chad Henne of Michigan was a true frosh or not.

He was really good as a frosh and led Michigan to the Rose Bowl.

Dont know what happened last year with them sinking to the Alamo Bowl.

Peyton Manning had a good frosh year. The two that were in front of him at Tenn got hurt i think.

Major Applewhite had an awsome freshman year also.

ballinhog

what abt Eli Manning...was he a true frosh?

3kgthog

Brodie Croyle didn't seem to have much of a problem making a start as a freshman. Surely you guys remember 80 yards and toast for the Hogs. I realize he didn't set the world on fire the rest of the year, but I'd be tickled pink if Mitch could start against USC and have just one great game like Croyle did.

noprayerfornutt

I thought Eli redshirted.  Wasn't Mike Vick a true Freshman when he started?

Zen_Hog

Search button...theres been a thread about this.

ballinhog

I think Eli did redshirt but I know for a fact Mike Vick redshirted

sickboy1138

Chad Henne was a true fresh.  His freshmen year he had 2743 yards through the air with 25 td's.  Last year he had 2526 yards and 23 td's.  Obviously he's doing ok.  I think their problem was Mike Heart.  His freshmen campaign he had 1455 yards rushing and 9 td's.  Last year he only pulled in 4 td's and 622 yards on the ground.  He definately had a sophomore slump.

ballinhog

Quote from: Dmac4Heisman on July 06, 2006, 06:36:39 pm
Search button...theres been a thread about this.

Theres probably have been numerous threads abt every single subj there is to talk abt..especially this time of year...so peace the frick out

hogmary

Who was the kid who went to Georgia at mid-term of his sr year (graduated from HS early) and started the next season?

ballinhog

Quote from: sickboy1138 on July 06, 2006, 06:38:31 pm
Chad Henne was a true fresh.  His freshmen year he had 2743 yards through the air with 25 td's.  Last year he had 2526 yards and 23 td's.  Obviously he's doing ok.  I think their problem was Mike Heart.  His freshmen campaign he had 1455 yards rushing and 9 td's.  Last year he only pulled in 4 td's and 622 yards on the ground.  He definately had a sophomore slump.

we always have ROJO to step up and make the good passes...LOL

Zen_Hog

Quote from: hogmary on July 06, 2006, 06:40:38 pm
Who was the kid who went to Georgia at mid-term of his sr year (graduated from HS early) and started the next season?

Stafford?

Atreyu

Quote from: Dmac4Heisman on July 06, 2006, 06:44:11 pm

Stafford?

Stafford hasn't played yet.

1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

Zen_Hog

Quote from: Atreyu on July 06, 2006, 06:45:10 pm
Quote from: Dmac4Heisman on July 06, 2006, 06:44:11 pm

Stafford?

Stafford hasn't played yet.

My bad

bolo1010

its cool ballnhog...im not in the search button fan club myself...its more fun starting your on topic but thanx to the fricktards that let us know how ignorant we are

BPPig

Eli redshirted and Peyton was pretty mediocre most of his frosh year. He was the third one they tried that year. The second guy transferred to Texas A&M; I can't remember his name but he never amounted to much.

Historically QB is the most difficult position to start as a frosh. Out of the last class of QB's in the NFL draft for instance Jay Cutler was the only 4 year starter and Vandy is always desperate. The Qb's that exhibit a modicum of success as a frosh are usually the more mobile types. Reggie Ball from GT is a recent example. I really hope we don't have to start Mitch too early. The historical data really sucks on such a move.

arkjay19

All of these guys that you are talking about were on teams that would've been able to compete for a national championship with lesser qb's.  For a true freshman qb to succeed, they have to have a phenomenal supporting cast.  Monk good, Hillis great, McFadden great, line good.  Arkansas has some pieces to work with, but Mustain's supporting class would not be up to the level that it would need to be for Mustain to succeed.

Atreyu

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on July 06, 2006, 06:31:41 pm
I cant remember if Chad Henne of Michigan was a true frosh or not.

He was really good as a frosh and led Michigan to the Rose Bowl.

Dont know what happened last year with them sinking to the Alamo Bowl.

Peyton Manning had a good frosh year. The two that were in front of him at Tenn got hurt i think.

Major Applewhite had an awsome freshman year also.

I think one of them ahead of Peyon was Todd Helton.
1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

hogfan064

Chris Leak's first start was about the 4th week of the year against Kentucky.  Down 21-3 he led Florida to 3 4th quarter TDs in his first start. He's started ever since

Steve Tanneyhill was a true frosh.  He came in after USC started 0-5.  THe week he was named starter he guaranteed USC would go undefeated the rest of the year.  USC then beat 2 straight top 15 teams.  They didn't go undefeated, but they went 5-1 and almost beat a top 10 Florida team losing by less than a TD

Matt Jones of course started as a true frosh midway through the year and did very good.  Don't forget that Ole Miss game

Eli's first real action came in a Music City Bowl loss.  He wasn't a true frosh

David Green was a freshman starter, but not sure if he was a true freshman

Jared Lorenzen started as a true frosh at Kentucky.  Hal Mumme gave him the nod over the guy who replaced Couch(the guy transferred to Valdosta State)

hoggin das

Quote from: arkhog9 on July 06, 2006, 06:50:32 pm
All of these guys that you are talking about were on teams that would've been able to compete for a national championship with lesser qb's.  For a true freshman qb to succeed, they have to have a phenomenal supporting cast.  Monk good, Hillis great, McFadden great, line good.  Arkansas has some pieces to work with, but Mustain's supporting class would not be up to the level that it would need to be for Mustain to succeed.
With the OL and RB's we have, the passing game does not have to set the world on fire. 100 yards a game through the air the first game, tappering up to 200 or so later in the season, would probably get it done. Particularly if the D holds up their end.

HoopS

Brandon Stewart is the Tenn qb who transfered to A&M.

Georgia qb who played as a true frosh...not sure about Greene.  Possibly Zeire or Bobo.

ballhog™

Matt Jones didn't start any games as a freshman.  Came in as relief for Zac Clark.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

hogfan064

Quote from: ballhog on July 06, 2006, 07:44:15 pm
Matt Jones didn't start any games as a freshman.  Came in as relief for Zac Clark.

I thought he started the last couple games in 01.  I guess he had so many highlights it seemed that way.

ballhog™

He did have a ton of highlights and saved the year  (a lot of people forget the big run at the end of the misstate game), he probably should have started, but we got rolling at the end of the year and had a big winning streak until a botched field goal against LSU  ended it.  He came in and was the X factor other teams couldn't figure out.  Other teams couldn't figure out how to stop him and we couldn't figure out a way to make the most of his abilities.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

HatfieldHog

I know that this thread is trying to set some precidence for Mitch starting the first game vs. USC, but he will have a hard time making up enough head way to start that game.  I think that there is just too much at stake.  Dissappointment being one thing.  We don't want to discourage Mitch, and we don't want to throw him in over his head too quickly.  This is just my opinion, everybodies got one.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

rzrbaxfan

What about David Green of Georgia?  I think he was freshman of the year.

Cutler may have started as a freshman too, not sure.

ballhog™

Mitch will start the 3rd or 4th game.

three

Tennessee had a fair amount of success with Erik Ainge and that Schaeffer (not even sure if that was his name, they ran him off before last year) splitting time at QB as true frosh, but then Ainge took a huge step backward as a Soph, and they played Rick Clausen.

Bernie Kosar won a NC with Miami in 1983 as a true fresh.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

noprayerfornutt

Barry Lunney Jr started as a true Freshman.

dishhog10

Carson Palmer started at usc as a freshman and went on to win the heisman and national titles, matt jones didn't start, but he was for sure the savior of the season his freshman year.
Lets band together and back BP

BigoBoys

A mediocre year from Mitch this year will get us in a bowl and put us in a position for some big seasons in the future.

Razorjacks

How about Kozar, and Holloway. Both won it all their Fresh seasons, if I aint mistaken.

BPPig

There are a few success stories but a whole lot more failures. I hope we can avoid the situation if possible.

hawkeyefan17

Phillip Rivers Started as a true freshman at North Carolina State.

Chad Henne started as a true freshman at Michigan.

Brett Meyer at Iowa State started as a true freshman, obviously not in the caliber of Henne and Rivers though but Iowa State has been pretty good under him.