Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So you're ready to start a freshman at quarterback.

Started by JIHawg, May 04, 2006, 07:43:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

There's a little irony in having great expectations of our offense this year, on the one hand, and the prediction by some that freshmen may start at quarterback, receivers, and tight end.  I look forward to Mitch, Damian, London and Ben as much as the next guy, but those two scenarios don't exactly make sense.

Remember the first big televised game of last season-Miami and Fla State, both starting freshmen quarterbacks?  It was pretty ugly.  Fulmer's great experiment with starting two freshmen quarterbacks two years ago seemed to start Tennessee's downfall. 

Anyone remember a team that had great success, say contending for the national championship, starting a freshman quarterback? 

bigred7987

No...the Knoxville city PD started the vols downfall...they were good that year. 

rzrbaxfan

Bama went 10-3 with a freshman QB in 2002...but on probation.

Auburn won 9 last year with a freshman QB...with a decent kicker they would have won the west.

Those are the first 2 that come to mind...Not in the NC hunt but still success that Arkansas hasnt seen in a while.

ballhog™

I don't think a true freshman will be ready to start the 1st game.  Maybe later in the season
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

CiriusPorker

If playing a freshman quarterback means we have someone who already knows our incoming offensive system, then heck yes, i'm ready to start a freshmen quarterback.

BigoBoys

Casey Dick was a Freshman last year.  If your good it doesn't matter what year your in.  Play the best one we got!

HoopS

I agree with Cirius.  We are in a unique situation with Gus and the Springdale guys.  If ever it did make sense, this may be the time.

texasssucks

Go with MM he knows the offense and we will have to start him at sometime.  I hate the phrase sink or swim but that is what we are down to.  If we start CD then we may not see MM until midway through the season, when HDN finally starts him and it is too late.  I hope we take the chance and maybe mess up early in the season and not when we can be playing for a SEC title that is what I am hopeing for but I could be wrong. :razorback:

The_Bionic_Pig

Was Barry Lunney Jr. a freshman when he started the game in Knoxville, TN ?

QuoteArkansas' first significant accomplishments as an SEC member came in 1995. Madre Hill scored six touchdowns in a victory over South Carolina and the following week Barry Lunney hit J. J. Meadors with a fourth down pass with six seconds left to lift the Hogs past Alabama at Tuscaloosa. An exhilarating 30-28 triumph over Auburn at Little Rock, followed by a victory over Mississippi State, handed the Razorbacks their first ever championship in the SEC, a Western Division title.
The Hogs weren't able to upset Florida in the SEC championship game but an eight-victory season capped by a spot in the Carquest Bowl allowed Arkansas to look forward to a promising future...(ends in 1996
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

mikeirwin

Quote from: JIHawg on May 04, 2006, 07:43:08 pm
Anyone remember a team that had great success, say contending for the national championship, starting a freshman quarterback? 
Forget great success, do you honestly expect his team to have much success at all with the QBs and receivers they put on the field last year ?
And by the way, who said anything about contending for a national championship with Mitch this fall ? Somebody may have posted that here but I didn't read anything like that. I think most people here would consider it an improvement not to have a losing record and yes I think they can do that playing Mitch and some rookie receivers.

pigture perfect

Ron Pawles (Sp?) started for Notre Dame a few years ago, and they started touting him for Heisman the next year.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Landonhog

Dumb question...  Mitch, as a freshman...is walking into a more than a unique situation...  Coach, offense, etc...  If there has ever been a situation where a freshman would have a good chance of succeeding, it would be this fall.  I would have rather started Casey last september than rojo... Who knows what Casey could have done with more games under his belt....

SupaCrawf

Quote from: mikeirwin on May 04, 2006, 08:16:42 pm
Quote from: JIHawg on May 04, 2006, 07:43:08 pm
Forget great success, do you honestly expect his team to have much success at all with the QBs and receivers they put on the field last year ?
And by the way, who said anything about contending for a national championship with Mitch this fall ? Somebody may have posted that here but I didn't read anything like that. I think most people here would consider it an improvement not to have a losing record and yes I think they can do that playing Mitch and some rookie receivers.
Mike, didn't West Virginia have freshmen at QB and RB last year?  Seems like they did pretty well...  I'd take that season.
I'm kind of a big deal.

The Pulse

Chris Leak came on as a true Freshman an fared pretty well agianst SEC defenses. But lon the otherhand look at Oklahoma last year..they had problems eary on in the season with all of the talent they have all because of thier QB situation. You do or die with your QB because if you can't pass the ball you can't run it either because teams put 8 or 9 in the box. (We saw alot of that last year) But the reason that Arkansas will be better off next season with the QB situation is because of what Casey Dick did last year. I still think he's good enough to be our QB even though he struggled a bit in the spring. To me it was because he hadn't adjusted to the changes and wasn't comfortable with everything and it was hard for him to get any rythem. I think Casey is a rythem type of guy. once he gets it he's hard to stop. (Look at the second half of the ole miss game last year) I think Casey will be better in the fall because he'll be used to the new system, coaches and routes more. It still would be great for Mitch to take over but he may just be a guy like those FSU and Miami qb's that need a little more experiance to be able to come in and drive the Offense down the field. But at the beggining of the season if Mitch isn't ready we still have Casey.

Richard_white

Quote from: pulsation of being on May 04, 2006, 09:03:20 pm
Chris Leak came on as a true Freshman an fared pretty well agianst SEC defenses. But lon the otherhand look at Oklahoma last year..they had problems eary on in the season with all of the talent they have all because of thier QB situation. You do or die with your QB because if you can't pass the ball you can't run it either because teams put 8 or 9 in the box. (We saw alot of that last year) But the reason that Arkansas will be better off next season with the QB situation is because of what Casey Dick did last year. I still think he's good enough to be our QB even though he struggled a bit in the spring. To me it was because he hadn't adjusted to the changes and wasn't comfortable with everything and it was hard for him to get any rythem. I think Casey is a rythem type of guy. once he gets it he's hard to stop. (Look at the second half of the ole miss game last year) I think Casey will be better in the fall because he'll be used to the new system, coaches and routes more. It still would be great for Mitch to take over but he may just be a guy like those FSU and Miami qb's that need a little more experiance to be able to come in and drive the Offense down the field. But at the beggining of the season if Mitch isn't ready we still have Casey.

Leak was good enough to beat us that year

zwhogfan

I don't care if Mitch is a freshman or not, if he gives us the best chance to win games, then he should play. If not, then redshirt him.

PIGINAPOKE

Play who CAN play and forget the B.S.  This is not a 10 yr learning curve.Unless your a hugger.And the last 8 yrs should tell you something..PLAY THE G.D game with who you have on campus and win it all? Is that so damn hard?

Well tell me why coaches ..Wait .. For players till they  are ready to play? Oh we have 12 yrs ? If you have this awesome guy out of H.S. But  he has to get up to speed? That always got me..I ran faster at 14 yrs old than at 26?
Play who is ready and wing it..

Arkansas has run out of time to wait ..

The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: CiriusPorker on May 04, 2006, 07:59:33 pm
If playing a freshman quarterback means we have someone who already knows our incoming offensive system, then heck yes, i'm ready to start a freshmen quarterback.

Our incoming freshman already know HDN's offense? LOL

Pig Pumper

We started a freshman last year.

This year we can start a freshman that was great in high school.

Nothing against Dick, but he is no Mustain with or without Wood.

Calling All Hogs

I wish people would stop hoping for Mitch to redshirt. He is not going to stay around the college ranks for
5 years. Why redshirt him and then lose him in 3 years of playing? Matt Jones probably wouldn't have hung
around 5 years. Neither will Mitch. When Mitch talked about possibly redshirting he was probably interested
in developing as a quaterback to better impress NFL scouts. No because he plans on hanging out in college
for 5 years.

Nutts and Bolts

A new era has begun in Fayetteville

HawgWyld

We're not even through spring yet, and we're already hinting at next season's rationale from the "let's give Houston another year!" crowd. I can hear it now:

"Yeah, the Hogs were awful this year, but you just wait -- Mustain and those other Springdale recruits will be sophomores! We're just about to turn the corner! Just wait 'til next year!"

4th and 1

keep in mind that a rookie qb in college isn't half as drastic as a rookie in the pro's...mitch will be fine after a month of practice...watch for dick to fade into the background...hate to say it...but DMAC not have as big of a year even though he will better! i say that because of all the options...and for hillis to blow up again...just a feeling.

Le Hogtre

Quote from: Bogarto on May 04, 2006, 07:53:35 pm
Michael Vick was a RS freshman and they went to the title game.
Quote from: rzrbaxfan on May 04, 2006, 07:55:06 pm
Bama went 10-3 with a freshman QB in 2002...but on probation.

Auburn won 9 last year with a freshman QB...with a decent kicker they would have won the west.

Those are the first 2 that come to mind...Not in the NC hunt but still success that Arkansas hasnt seen in a while.

Brandon Cox was a redshirt sophmore last year at Auburn.

Tyler Watts was a senior for Alabama, and Brodie Croyle was a REDSHIRT freshman in 2002.

allboatsrise

I'm a fan of Hog football, not an officianado. I have two questions related to this subject:

1. What would be a bigger factor on the success of a Freshman QB?
A. Protection from a good OL?
B. The coaching he received in High School (game smarts and precision)?
C. Athleticism?

I don't know why any of those Freshman listed in this thread were successful, but it's likely because of one or more of these.

2nd Question:

2. What is this "Speed of the game" issue and how do you overcome it?

High schools run more plays in a game than some colleges, with less time to play. Springdale certainly did.

allboatsrise

The reason I asked is, Why not put the players on the field now that you want handling the Championship trophy on the 50 yard line in three years?

Use the best players now and let them develop rhthym and trust (chemistry). Am I being Naive?

hogfan064

Steve Tanneyhill started as a true freshman and went 5-1 as a starter his freshman year.  The loss was a 4 point loss to Florida in Gainsville.

HogKong

Superstar Matt Jones did pretty well as a FROSH!!!!!!!

hogfan064

Wasn't David Green a true freshman also?  I know he was a freshman at least

ComeonHogs!!!

I think it will come down to mental success or mental mistakes. Casey has the physical tools to play in Gus system. If he makes his reads, and makes the right plays he's the man. If he does not then Mitch "if he has the physical tools" will probably step in because he knows Mitch can run his system.

Same for receiver's, although you can certainly work them in a lot easier.
State Pride!!!

ballhog™

Barry Lunney was a true freshman when he started his 1st game...the 4th game of the year at Tennessee when they were ranked 4th.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

ballhog™

I agee with playing the best QB and Mustain may be it.  And he may be it the 1st game.  But there is a big difference in reading West Memphis' defense and then having 9 months off before your next game and reading USC's defense.

ComeonHogs!!!

State Pride!!!

ballhog™

hogtheball

Looks like Florida is having a bit of the same problem - and they already have a seasoned senior QB.     http://www.gatorsports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060423/GATORS01/204230360
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

jabohog

Quote from: allboatsrise on May 05, 2006, 02:55:05 am

2nd Question:

2. What is this "Speed of the game" issue and how do you overcome it?

High schools run more plays in a game than some colleges, with less time to play. Springdale certainly did.
The speed and ability of the athletes in SEC ball will be overwhelming at first for our freshmen. Couple that with the probability that Mustain and maybe our Springdale freshman receivers will be marked men by Herring, let's just say they will have some things to get used to that they haven't experienced before. The way they get used to it is repetition.
As for the thread subject, put the best on the field. Wondering about a NC is optimistic, but not realistic. Besides our HC has stated we want to get back to a bowl, so whoever can get us to a bowl.

hogtheball

This whole "getting back to a bowl" thing is really annoying the crap out of me.  Let's face it, most of the bowl games are jokes.  The teams are mediocre at best. They're just big marketing scams for the local Chambers to drum up some commerce for a few days. 

Being excited about a non-BCS bowl would be like being excited about the NIT in basketball.  HDN needs to set our sites on a BCS bowl or quit. How bold do you have to be to at least say our goal is to win the West in the SEC. 

We're not going to beat USC this year (barring some sort of gridiron miracle).  But we need to be a competitive SEC team and have a chance at winning the West Midway through the season.  Anything less will be a failure.  That's what losses are in sports - FAILURE.  HDN needs to start talking like the high-paid D-1 coach he is and quit trying to set low expectations.  It's time to put up or shut up. 

What is a realistic expectation for a D-1 SEC coach in his ninth season?  Come on - Joe Paterno is one of the two or three greatest coaches in history and Penn State fans don't tolerate bad seasons even for him.  After a losing season, Joe said he'd get the team back to a BCS bowl or retire.  Then, he did it.  Congrats to the guy for setting the bar high and then jumping over it.  I only wish we had a man who would do the same.

Oh, and Mitch is going to be the quarterback.  I wish he was a sophomore and had played in a few SEC games, but he isn't.  It doesn't matter, he will be the best QB on the team by the end of his first practice.  Those of you who don't see that haven't seen him play very much.  I feel bad for CD, but that's college sports for you.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Tusks

Green was a RS FR. when he started.

The last 2 QB's in the SEC I can think of that did pretty good their FR SEASONS were Payton Manning and Chris Leak. A lot of FR QBs might have a decent game here or there but it's unusual for a FR to have a great season or lead a team to 8 wins in an 11 game season.

If Mitch is as good as advertised I could see him winning maybe 7 games as a starter next year.  Payton won 8.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ballhog™

Manning didn't come in and start until after Todd Helton got hurt in the UCLA game.  The 4th of the season I believe.

hogtheball

Southern California    Fayetteville, Ark.      
Utah State    Fayetteville, Ark.    
Vanderbilt*    at Nashville, Tenn.        
Alabama*    Fayetteville, Ark.            
Auburn*    at Auburn, Ala.         
Southeast Missouri State    Fayetteville, Ark.         
Ole Miss*    Fayetteville, Ark.      
Louisiana-Monroe    Little Rock, Ark.        
South Carolina*    at Columbia, S.C.         
Tennessee*    Fayetteville, Ark.    
Mississippi State*    at Starkville, Miss.           
LSU*    Little Rock, Ark.      

If we only win 7 games with this schedule - it will be the most disappointing season I can remember.  4 games should be automatic.  That means we only need to win half of our 8 real games to get to 8 wins.  With the talent we have and playing 8 home games, if we don't win at least 8 games this year, HDN should apologize and resign.  I don't care how young the QB is.

hogfan064

jabohog

hogtheball, your preaching to the choir here. The goals for the Hogs in my opinion should be not to lose at home, win the west, win the SECCG, and BCS/NC. Nutt should state this at some point and he may. All I have heard is get back to a bowl. The translation of that to me is, save my job. HDN sets low expectations because he is allowed to do that. In the end, this may wind up being a panicked HDN trying to save his job, damn the torpedoes. I couldn't agree with you more about expectations, but we are in the minority in the fact that we believe those expectations to be realistic.

Le Hogtre

Quote from: hogtheball on May 05, 2006, 09:12:37 am

If we only win 7 games with this schedule - it will be the most disappointing season I can remember.  4 games should be automatic.  That means we only need to win half of our 8 real games to get to 8 wins.  With the talent we have and playing 8 home games, if we don't win at least 8 games this year, HDN should apologize and resign.  I don't care how young the QB is.

If we went on TALENT ALONE, this is how I see the games:

Southern California                               Loss
Utah State    Fayetteville, Ark.               Win
Vanderbilt*    at Nashville, Tenn.            Win
Alabama*    Fayetteville, Ark.               Loss       
Auburn*    at Auburn, Ala.                 Loss     
Southeast Missouri State                           Win         
Ole Miss*    Fayetteville, Ark.               Win      
Louisiana-Monroe    Little Rock, Ark.      Win        
South Carolina*    at Columbia, S.C.    Tie      
Tennessee*    Fayetteville, Ark                Loss
Mississippi State*    at Starkville, Miss.  Win           
LSU*    Little Rock, Ark.                            Loss

The talent record, according to me, is 6-5-1.

What is kind of funny, if as many believe, you take the two losses per year due to our coaching, then you have 4-7-1. 

jabohog

Quote from: Le Hogtre on May 05, 2006, 09:43:12 am

Utah State    Fayetteville, Ark.               Win
Alabama*    Fayetteville, Ark.               Loss       
Auburn*    at Auburn, Ala.                 Loss     
Southeast Missouri State                           Win         
Ole Miss*    Fayetteville, Ark.               Win     

What is kind of funny, if as many believe, you take the two losses per year due to our coaching, then you have 4-7-1. 
Using your senario, if we lose to Bama and tie SC, that's your two per year in my opinion.

HoopS

"we will be perfect in every phase of the game".

hogsNbeer

Quote from: CiriusPorker on May 04, 2006, 07:59:33 pm

Not much good for QB to know an offense, playing with people that don't know it...

hogtheball

If we go 3-4-1 in SEC play (as you have us) - then we should turn down whatever crackerjack bowl (no disresepect to the popcorn-caramel snack) offers us and fire our head coach.  That would be 100% unacceptable and everbody should say so up front.

The Pulse

Your Win/loss results Lehog is exactly what i think our tem would acomplish with a qb that sucks. (aka R. Johnson last year) However i think our Qb situation is much better this year and we'll have someone there that can play if it's Casey or Mitch. What i think will happen is that the games we lost bigtime last year..they will be close this year, and the games we barely lost....we'll win them.

HawgWyld

Quote from: hogtheball on May 05, 2006, 09:53:28 am
If we go 3-4-1 in SEC play (as you have us) - then we should turn down whatever crackerjack bowl (no disresepect to the popcorn-caramel snack) offers us and fire our head coach.  That would be 100% unacceptable and everbody should say so up front.

Been following the Hogs for long? Nutt's had plenty of rotten seasons and he's given a pack of excuses after every one ranging form his players being young to NCAA investigations and he's still here. Why on earth should the upcoming season be any different?