Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Freshmen Quarterbacks

Started by Hoot72, April 07, 2006, 09:30:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoot72

It has been discussed on this board on a variety of threads, about whether or not Mitch Mustain should/could/will start for the Hogs this fall?  Also, whether or not a talented freshman quarterback would be able to adapt to the speed of an SEC game.  On this thread I would rather not get into all of that again, but would like some help on the question of freshmen that have started for major D-I programs.  I brought this up on another thread, but there was a pretty intense discussion on another subject, so I thought I would start another thread.
     I know that Miami and Florida State started freshmen quarterbacks last year, but are there others that you can think of?  Was David Greene from Georgia a true freshman when he came to Fayetteville and lit the Hogs up?  Wasn't Brodie Croyle (Alabama) a freshman when he replaced Tyler Watts, and came to Fayetteville and beat the Hogs?  What other freshmen quarterback can you think of who started for a major D-I program, and made a difference.

razorbackfan502000

chris rix, eli manning, eric ainge did allright at tenn, im sure there are lots of others but those came right to mind.

Hoot72

I thought Eli Manning sat behing Romaro Jackson (?) for a year?

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: Hoot72 on April 07, 2006, 09:41:51 pm
I thought Eli Manning sat behing Romaro Jackson (?) for a year?

You're right he did, he redshirted that season didnt he?

afhogfan1980

chris leak, tim couch, bret basanez from northwestern
"Even Lance Armstrong Won Without a Nutt"

arkbengal

Bomar from OU last year. Texas will find out what it's like this year. I can't think of any Frosh QB's in national programs who were hits right out of the gate. It takes time to learn the plays, game speed, and defenses in major level ball. Most of the highly rated QB's don't really make a difference until their 3rd year unless they have a top notch supporting cast.

tacomahog

Peyton Manning and Quincy Carter

reddogfan

Chad Henne...Michigan.. two-year starter at quarterback ... has started 20 consecutive games ... compiled 14-6 record as a starter ... has thrown at least one touchdown pass in 19 of his 20 career games ... completed 383-of-648 passes (59.1 pct.) for 4,428 yards with 40 touchdowns and 14 interceptions ... lists fifth in Michigan history in career touchdown passes, fifth in pass attempts, sixth in pass completions and seventh in passing yards ... has thrown for at least 200 yards in 13 of his 20 starts ... reached 3,000 and 4,000 career passing yards faster than any quarterback in school history ... 2004 Freshman All-American ... one of eight true freshmen to see game action in 2004.

Finished as the top true freshman quarterback statistically in Michigan and Big Ten history

He was rated the #2-#4 QB in the nation coming out of high school by various services.  Probably the most notable right now.

Miami's QB was not a true freshman....he was a redshirt.

cookie52

I think David Greene was a RS Freshman when we played them as well.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: reddogfan on April 07, 2006, 10:28:25 pm
Chad Henne...Michigan.. two-year starter at quarterback ... has started 20 consecutive games ... compiled 14-6 record as a starter ... has thrown at least one touchdown pass in 19 of his 20 career games ... completed 383-of-648 passes (59.1 pct.) for 4,428 yards with 40 touchdowns and 14 interceptions ... lists fifth in Michigan history in career touchdown passes, fifth in pass attempts, sixth in pass completions and seventh in passing yards ... has thrown for at least 200 yards in 13 of his 20 starts ... reached 3,000 and 4,000 career passing yards faster than any quarterback in school history ... 2004 Freshman All-American ... one of eight true freshmen to see game action in 2004.

Finished as the top true freshman quarterback statistically in Michigan and Big Ten history

He was rated the #2-#4 QB in the nation coming out of high school by various services.  Probably the most notable right now.

Do you think this Mustain kid has a shot at being as good or better than Henne?

I do.

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on April 07, 2006, 11:14:31 pm

I do.

He certainly does, he has all the tools, it's just a matter of maturity , and can our line protect him.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 07, 2006, 11:19:33 pm

I do.

He certainly does, he has all the tools, it's just a matter of maturity , and can our line protect him.

That might be a big issue. Gotta protect the kid.

Markuson's line hasnt been able to protect a passer in years!

mikeirwin

Yes but I heard Henne went to a hypnotist who repeated over and over, YOU ARE VERY SLEEPY. THE SPEED OF THE GAME IS NO DIFFERENT. YOU ARE STILL IN HIGH SCHOOL. PAY NO ATTENTION TO THOSE BIG FAST LINEMEN. THEY ARE NOT THERE. WHEN I SNAP MY FINGERS YOU WILL WAKE UP AND START THROWING TD PASSES.
Forget the personal trainer. Get Mitch HYP-NO-TIZED in a hurry.

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on April 07, 2006, 11:36:47 pm
Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 07, 2006, 11:19:33 pm

I do.

That might be a big issue. Gotta protect the kid.

Markuson's line hasnt been able to protect a passer in years!

I look at that this way, true for the most part they haven't done a good job of protecting the qb, on the other hand, how long are they supposed to provide protection? I remember SEVERAL instances last season for example where they would block for 4 or 5 seconds while RJ ran around in the pocket tryin to decide what to do, then finally someone would break thru and either sack him or force the bad pass. I swear the kid just couldn't relax take a 3 step drop, find the open man and get him the ball. You can't epet your line to protect for more than 5 seconds. you must get rid of the ball.

felixfan

brad smith at Missouri i think was a true fresh insted of a frosh