Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Marshawn Powell

Started by pitbull1, June 25, 2009, 01:30:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pitbull1

Marshawn Powell elgible to play this fall!! 

Iwastherein1969

Pelphrey now has a fighting chance to save his job...without Powell, he didn't
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

rzrbackrob

Good is the enemy of great

pitbull1

Now lets see if Batman has anything to say.

HawgnCorona

That good news. . .Good work Marshawn.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

rzrbackrob

Thanks ruarealhogfan

http://recruiting.arkansasonline.com/index.php/2009/06/25/powell-gets-good-news/

The hogs are going to be much better if they can find a leader.

sirhog

We have a pretty solid team in just one off season. With him and Washington being here we have a pretty good team next year. Go Hogs!

Biggus Piggus

Absolutely spectacular, wonderful news.  Richard made my day again.
[CENSORED]!

stronguard

I will be anxiously awaiting the negative audio commentary regarding this news.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Kevin

i thought the sky was falling.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

deucea729

As bad as this last season ended up, hats off to Pel and staff on a whale of a job so far this offseason.  Our two biggest keys IMO (MWash and Powell) are in the fold.

Now on to keeping a fire lit under Henry...

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: stronguard on June 25, 2009, 04:42:46 pm
I will be anxiously awaiting the negative audio commentary regarding this news.

You know they are losing sleep tonight with this news. There agenda just took a major hit. Welcome Marshawn to the Razorback Nation.
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

HawgAdvocate

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HoopS

You would think Hog fans would be posting like crazy about this good news, wouldn't you?   But many are absent today when we received this good news.   

Coincidence I'm sure.

stronguard

Quote from: HoopS on June 25, 2009, 10:34:14 pm
You would think Hog fans would be posting like crazy about this good news, wouldn't you?   But many are absent today when we received this good news.   

Coincidence I'm sure.

I don't know, I've seen several true fans posting.  It's the fairweather friends that are conspicuously absent.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: Kevin on June 25, 2009, 05:28:20 pm
i thought the sky was falling.

It was according to a select full. Most new guys would not qualify, and some key pieces were leaving from last year's team. Hope they get some new sources before predicting anything else.

Foshodo

Quote from: HoopS on June 25, 2009, 10:34:14 pm
You would think Hog fans would be posting like crazy about this good news, wouldn't you?   But many are absent today when we received this good news.  

Coincidence I'm sure.

truth is, there arent a lot of Razorback fans that really know what theyre talking about when it comes to basketball...

Dirty

batmanfan

Good for Powell and the Hogs.

This gives Arkansas 5 legit SEC caliber players in the starting five in Fortson, Clarke, Henry (IF he makes it), Powell and Washington.  Powell is a huge plus because he has more talent in his pinkie finger than Sanchez has in his whole body.

To unsure thing is though, is the bench is full of mid-major caliber players, when looking at the people coming back (Welsh, Britt, Sanchez) and the rest of the 09 class which, besides Powell, wasn't very good thanks to the Sunbelt crews lack of recruiting and the fact they struck on everyone they were after.

It's a win-win situation; this team pulls it together and uses there talent (but with Failphrey as coach, and bad team chemistry) that doesn't seem realistic to me.  Or if that doesn't happen, Failphrey and his Sunbelt crew will be packing there bags the same time Mike Anderson will be taking office.  A win-win really.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

Beaverfever

Wow this is big big big.  Pel is gaining my confidence.  Washington and Powell could be one of the best frontcourts in the SEC.  Now if we can get Henry qualified, this team could get worlds better in one season.  A starting lineup of Fortson, Clarke, Henry, Powell, and Washington could do some damage.  Fortson and Henry only seemed to scratch the surface of their potential last season. 

TNhawgfan

It's already been said on here several times, but yes, we really need Henry to get his act together and be motivated to play next year. If that happens, just in terms of pure talent and athleticism, our starting five next year will be one of the most talented in the West. Whether they can come together and win as a team is something entirely different, but the pieces are coming together.
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

sirhog

I actually believe we are going to have SEC quality depth next year. Nobles can play the 1 or the 2 and is a supposedly a great on ball defender with a great work ethic. Farmer can play the 2 or 3 and may very well start. Bryant is an athletic 3 or 4 who can block shots. I don't know much about Johnson except that he will be another post player that has 2 years experience in JUCO. Maybe I am getting my hopes up a little too much but I really like the makeup of this team. We have a full bench with quality players that will help push the starters to perform better. I hope Pel will play up tempo this year and we can start to see what he is trying to build.

Also, I think the fact that we are not relying almost completely on newcomers will help tremendously. Several of the guys have been here a year or more and know what the SEC is all about. If Fortson, Clarke, and Henry (if he is here) make the traditional Freshman to Sophomore improvements then we will have a starting 5 and depth that can challenge for an SEC west title.

Kevin

i think farmer and nobles are sec players not mid major

but you keep your sky is falling attitude
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Newhopehog

batman go back to the batcave and stay there.....

OKhogfan1959

Farmer for sure is SEC caliber. No doubt.

Kris P. Bacon

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
– Winston Churchill

Hogimus Prime

Awesome.   Now we have a low post man to go with Washington, with Sanchez and Johnson off the bench.   Those four with Fortson, Clarke, Henry(if elgible), Welsh, Farmer and Nobles we will have the depth to finish games with a chance to win.   This team just needs to learn to win close games

jackflash

three points shooting is still going to the key. And defending it.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: batmanfan on June 26, 2009, 06:54:46 am
(but with Failphrey as coach, and bad team chemistry) that doesn't seem realistic to me.  Or if that doesn't happen, Failphrey and his Sunbelt crew will be packing there bags the same time Mike Anderson will be taking office.  A win-win really.

1,287 total posts
1,345 total smites

Those numbers ought to be telling you something.

Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

k.c.hawg

One of the exciting things about Powell is after his sophomore season he was buried academically....he knew it, his mom knew it, the both admitted as much. At that point they sat down and said this is not the road we want to go down. He transferred and went to work. All along his coach was speaking of the guys determination, hard work and great academic progress. He figured it out and worked his ass off to get here.....I'll take a guy like that anyday.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on June 28, 2009, 07:41:27 am
One of the exciting things about Powell is after his sophomore season he was buried academically....he knew it, his mom knew it, the both admitted as much. At that point they sat down and said this is not the road we want to go down. He transferred and went to work. All along his coach was speaking of the guys determination, hard work and great academic progress. He figured it out and worked his ass off to get here.....I'll take a guy like that anyday.

That's the truth, and then some.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Razorbadarse

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on June 27, 2009, 10:34:39 pm
1,287 total posts
1,345 total smites

Those numbers ought to be telling you something.

All it says is he really doesn't care what anybody says on this board.

Great news on Powell. Anybody who has seen his highlight reel or seen him in person knows he can start from day 1.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: jackflash on June 27, 2009, 05:16:42 pm
three points shooting is still going to the key. And defending it.

Defending the three won't be as big of a problem since we won't have to live and die by the 2-3 zone since we have much more depth this year.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

To unsure thing is though, is the bench is full of mid-major caliber players, when looking at the people coming back (Welsh, Britt, Sanchez) and the rest of the 09 class which, besides Powell, wasn't very good thanks to the Sunbelt crews lack of recruiting and the fact they struck on everyone they were after.

It's a win-win situation; this team pulls it together and uses there talent (but with Failphrey as coach, and bad team chemistry) that doesn't seem realistic to me.  Or if that doesn't happen, Failphrey and his Sunbelt crew will be packing there bags the same time Mike Anderson will be taking office.  A win-win really.

Laughable.

Go Hogs.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: Razorbadarse on June 28, 2009, 12:39:22 pm
  All it says is he really doesn't care what anybody says on this board.

Great news on Powell. Anybody who has seen his highlight reel or seen him in person knows he can start from day 1.

It is not that he doesn't care what anybody says, he roots against the Hogs.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=293293.0

chiefsfan

Good for Powell and the Hogs.

This gives Arkansas 5 legit SEC caliber players in the starting five in Fortson, Clarke, Henry (IF he makes it), Powell and Washington.  Powell is a huge plus because he has more talent in his pinkie finger than Sanchez has in his whole body.

I would quit degrading the sunbelt if I were you.  It makes chiefsfan angry.  and you dont want to make chiefsfan angry
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

ge-erdone

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 28, 2009, 05:34:19 pm
Defending the three won't be as big of a problem since we won't have to live and die by the 2-3 zone since we have much more depth this year.
If Powell can own the boards, especially on defense, finish close in shots, and make free throws, he will be a "game changer" improvement for the basketball team.

As I was reading about his size, 250#, and his height, 6'-8", it crossed my mind, that sounds like Corliss Williams stats., and then I read a post where someone stated the same thing.

Corliss's advantage was his size and tremendous strength, and any one who has tried to play with and defend against some one like that, even in pick-games, knows that is extremely hard to do.

I think Corliss had been working on weights and bulking up since early jr. high school days.

razorgary

Corliss was not as big as Powell  but played bigger than his actual size and had a mean streak.

PHAHog357

Big Nasty is 6'4 being real
Ninohog never forgotten

Pork Twain

June 29, 2009, 12:29:56 pm #40 Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:35:53 pm by BeoPig™
Buttman's head lives in a dark, brown cave...

Quote from: BeoPig™ on June 25, 2009, 02:08:32 pm
Wait a second...  I heard from a very reliable source that he would never qualify.  Then again that is the same guy that said Washington was going pro and Henry would transfer.  So much for insider info...

Great news for the Hogs!!!
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Porkatarian

This is GREAT news! 
I'm very happy to have been wrong about Powell!

Beo, be careful about counting chickens before they hatch...

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Pork Twain

Quote from: Porkatarian on June 29, 2009, 12:43:13 pm
This is GREAT news! 
I'm very happy to have been wrong about Powell!

Beo, be careful about counting chickens before they hatch...

Porkatarian out...
Which chickens are you referring too?  Washington going pro, Powell not making it, Henry transferring or Buttman's head living in a dark brown cave?  I am not saying all is well but everyone is on campus and some with a little work to do.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HoopS

Random Question:   when does the first summer session end and when does the second one begin?

Porkatarian

HoopS, give me a call when you get the chance.  I'm really starting to like the looks of next year's roster.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

HoopS

Will do.   Taking kids to the movies.   Will call later.

ruarealhogfan

Pel talked as if him getting cleared was just a formality, and obviously it was.  Powell had stated that he had a good test score & just needed a couple of the classes he had taken to be cleared.  Anyway, all the heat Pel took for recruiting Powell was rather unjustified, this happens with a lot of these kids.  We are still waiting on some to clear for our football team (including our top recruit).  Also saw today where Texas is still waiting for 2 of their stud bball recruits (5* Jordan Hamilton & 4* Je'covan Brown) to clear.  Powell had a lot of work to do to get to this point, but he did it & congratulations to him for getting it done...