Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good news for UA BB

Started by The Recruiting Guy, June 25, 2009, 12:05:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorback541

Oliver

Powell was a must for this year.  Step 1 completed.

smun83

This was really needed, thanks for the update RD, also do you think it is a good chance we get a verbal from Mitchell on Tuesday?

ruarealhogfan

PigWig

With this news and Washington coming back, we may just have a decent season next year.

Fortson
Clarke
Henry/Farmer
Powell
Washington

That's a starting five that could compete for the SEC West IMO. The real question is will we have enough depth and benchplay to back up the starting five.

regi

The way things have been going with the B-Ball program, I didn't expect him to make it. This is a surprise.

newera

Yeah, now that that ? is solved, now we just need to see how the rest pans out.
I'm a diverse all sports fan... Razorbacks, Lipscomb Bisons (NCAA), Portland Timbers (MLS), Tennessee Titans, Nashville Predators, Barcelona (La Liga), Arsenal (EPL), and Sacramento Kings.

The Hogfather

I'm a little worried about Henry being on the team next season.  I sure hope he is.

kingofdequeen

I humbly await Batmanfan to bring his rain to this parade.

The Boar War

Razorod

this is very good news. now powell can play the four and henry the three--that is if can keep his eligibility. a frontcourt or Washington, Powell and Henry could actually be pretty good.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Pork Twain

Wait a second...  I heard from a very reliable source that he would never qualify.  Then again that is the same guy that said Washington was going pro and Henry would transfer.  So much for insider info...

Great news for the Hogs!!!
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ruarealhogfan

Powell says that he is a legit 6'8 & 250 lbs right now, he was 6'7 & 230 when he first signed with us.

tbhogfan

I am now cautiously optimistic about next year's basketball team. 
Go Hogs!

WMHawgfan

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on June 25, 2009, 02:12:08 pm
Powell says that he is a legit 6'8 & 250 lbs right now, he was 6'7 & 230 when he first signed with us.
hope that extra 20 pounds is muscle an not biscuits

HoopS

this is excellent news!

Why am I not surprised this thread only has 16 posts?

I bet if RD posted that he were ineligible, we would already have 116 posts.

Oliver

Quote from: tbhogfan on June 25, 2009, 02:15:20 pm
I am now cautiously optimistic about next year's basketball team. 

I don't see how anyone could be more than cautiously optimistic about next year.

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: Oliver Miller on June 25, 2009, 03:24:01 pm
I don't see how anyone could be more than cautiously optimistic about next year.

I am more than cautiously optimistic, I see good things next year...

Oliver

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on June 25, 2009, 03:32:01 pm
I am more than cautiously optimistic, I see good things next year...

I see us being better, but how much better?  We could win 4 conference games and be better.  I see the potential for good things but I'm not going to get wrapped up in huge expectations only to be let down.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Oliver Miller on June 25, 2009, 03:33:51 pm
I see us being better, but how much better?  We could win 4 conference games and be better.  I see the potential for good things but I'm not going to get wrapped up in huge expectations only to be let down.

We cut some fat and added some muscle (a lot of it).  We will win 20+ games, especially if Henry does well this summer.

Oliver

Quote from: The Hogfather on June 25, 2009, 03:39:08 pm
We cut some fat and added some muscle (a lot of it).  We will win 20+ games, especially if Henry does well this summer.

I can see a 6 or 7 game improvement.  We had the talent last year to where we should have won about 3 or 4 more games than we did, so like you said by adding muscle and cutting fat I can see this happening.  Henry was at times the most talented player we had on the court last year so yes him getting his head on straight this summer would help immensely.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on June 25, 2009, 02:12:08 pm

that is awsome if he is a legitmate 6'8 and 250.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Oliver

Quote from: HawgnCorona on June 25, 2009, 03:43:03 pm
that is awsome if he is a legitmate 6'8 and 250.

That's Blake Griffin size.  Griffin is 6'9 but close.

donewithdale

I like it when signs continue to point that I will end up being right. 

Patience is what is needed as almost everything Pel needed to go his way this offseason has. 

BigErn

This makes me feel much better and I hope Coach Pel can right the ship.

I expect to make the NCAA every year. I am sorry, I will not lower my expectations any lower than that. Last year was extremely painful to watch.

PorkSoda

Good to hear Powell is eligible.  Now for the rest of them.  Give them a couple years and the freshmen we had last year will mature into solid players.  I think it will be like night and day if Pel can get the off the court issues straightened out, and they start playing like a team.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Tomhog™

Quote from: BeoPig™ on June 25, 2009, 02:08:32 pm
Wait a second...  I heard from a very reliable source that he would never qualify.  Then again that is the same guy that said Washington was going pro and Henry would transfer.  So much for insider info...

Great news for the Hogs!!!

I knew someone would have to say this.  Congrats.

sirhog

Wow that is wonderful news. Having Powell and Washington will make us a good team. Washington will be much better when he doesn't have to face a double team every time down the court. Now we have 2 legit scorers underneath.

Table Rocker

I bet FCJ is mad, maybe we won't lose as much next year.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Table Rocker on June 25, 2009, 04:16:14 pm

Actually he is quite the opposite and stated he will support the basketball program always just not very fond of the coach.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HawgnCorona

June 25, 2009, 04:44:30 pm #32 Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 04:46:39 pm by HawgnCorona
Quote from: Oliver Miller on June 25, 2009, 03:49:05 pm
That's Blake Griffin size.  Griffin is 6'9 but close.

Wow. If he can play like Blake, perhaps we have ourselves a darn good team in the making? Well, at least on paper anyway. I dont want to get to far ahead here.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

3kgthog

Will he take plays off like Griffin did when we played them while Mike Washington owned him in the first half?

This is good news, though. Any word on Washington's eligibility since the rumors of his supposed failures to attend class?

tiber

Quote from: Table Rocker on June 25, 2009, 04:16:14 pm

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on June 25, 2009, 04:21:06 pm
Actually he is quite the opposite and stated he will support the basketball program always just not very fond of the coach.

I'm not sure how belittling the players we brought in and racking up 30+ coach-bashing posts a day in the middle of recruiting is 'just not very fond of the coach'.
Regardless... I'll go out on a limb and say he probably won't be making many appearances in threads like this one.

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: tiber on June 25, 2009, 10:20:30 pm
I'm not sure how belittling the players we brought in and racking up 30+ coach-bashing posts a day in the middle of recruiting is 'just not very fond of the coach'.
Regardless... I'll go out on a limb and say he probably won't be making many appearances in threads like this one.

I think he and batmanfan and some others will wallow in their hatred irregardless until we get a new coach, whether 1, 2, 3 or more years down the road. Batmanfan has went on record stating he will rout for the other team playing the hogs and FCJ has said ...... well, more than I can repeat here in this post.
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

HogBreath

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on June 25, 2009, 11:12:53 pm
Batmanfan has went on record stating he will rout for the other team playing the hogs
Don't you mean root for the other team, there Einstein? lol
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: HogBreath on June 25, 2009, 11:52:44 pm
Don't you mean root for the other team, there Einstein? lol

You totally missed it. There is a difference when we fans root for our team, and want to rout the opposing team. lol
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on June 25, 2009, 11:12:53 pm
I think he and batmanfan and some others will wallow in their hatred irregardless until we get a new coach, whether 1, 2, 3 or more years down the road. Batmanfan has went on record stating he will rout for the other team playing the hogs and FCJ has said ...... well, more than I can repeat here in this post.

c'mon man.

Beaverfever

It's crazy that when Powell was initially ranked a year or so ago as a 4 star, people said he was actually a freak low post player but was only a 4 star because he was only 6-5 or 6-6 legitimately.  If he is a true 6-8 then size is no longer an issue whatsoever.  I'm guessing he is still probably more like 6-7 or 6-7 1/2 but still...The two most dominant low post players in the NCAA this year were Griffin (6-9) and Dejuan Blair (6-6 1/2).  Also a lot of people said Powell might have been ranked higher if it weren't for his poor academic situation.  Now that is not an issue.  Could Powell be a legit 5 star?

Pork Twain

Quote from: Tomhog™ on June 25, 2009, 04:09:08 pm

Sorry but there were way too many on here using our recruits and players as a tool to attack Pel.  I am not referring to you or any of our recruiting guys.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hawgndaaz

He obviously turned up his work ethic in order to qualify. Let's hope he keeps up the hard work in the classroom so grades are never, ever an issue again. Great news.

UltimateHog

Quote from: cityhog on January 14, 2012, 04:48:21 pm
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

HogBreath

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on June 26, 2009, 12:04:12 am
You totally missed it. There is a difference when we fans root for our team, and want to rout the opposing team. lol
So you're saying Batman will rout for the other team?  That makes no sense at all, which is hardly surprising given the source.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Ray Piggers

Wouldn't that be route anyway?

if farmer has a good fall.. I say

Fortson
Farmer
Henry
Powell
Washington

That's a long athletic line up. Would match up well. Bring in clarke, sanchez, bryant, nobles in once they get the flow of the game.. We probably will be good next year. lol
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

jry04

Quote from: Tomhog™ on June 25, 2009, 04:09:08 pm
As many times people were blasted for saying he would qualify, or wait and see, I don't think it is a big deal that he said that.

I know when I reported the information I was receiving I was told by a few mods that there was no way he would qualify and that I just had blinders on. I needed to wake up and see the disaster that was waiting ahead. I also said Washington was going to class and would not stay in the draft. A few other people said it, too. The same posters shot down that idea.

My opinion is if posters can dismiss other people's information and claim theirs as the gospel, then when their is proven wrong they shouldn't get upset when they are called out.

HoopS

Totally agree. 

If people don't like it when others point out the truth, then maybe they should think before they post.   Especially if it is said in such a "matter of fact" way and if those who are now being reminded of it were smart arses about it when they inistially said it. 
Suck it up and take your medicine is what I think.

Tomhog™

And this is exactly why from now on my information whether good or bad will remain with me.  If it is right, no props are given, but if wrong some posters just can't wait to pounce on them. 

HoopS

Tom, I appreciate you and the way you state things.  My post was not towards you.  If you say it, I believe it accurate. 

The ones that get on my nerves are the ones who made some of these other posters look like idiots a few months ago and lo and behold, look who as right. 

I apologize to you if you thought I was targetting you.  No way, me friend.  No way.