Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Proud of the culture we've built" comments drawing ire

Started by Pig in the Pokey, June 01, 2016, 02:18:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig in the Pokey

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/butch-jones-tennessee-vols-coach-culture-baylor-sexual-assault-title-nine-9-ix-lawsuit-ut-053116  "These are serious allegations —€” serious enough that should they be affirmed, Jones should lose his job."

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2016/jun/01/butch-jones-defends-tennessee-amid-baylor-com/368663/   

I cannot fathom how clueless you have to be to utter those words in this current environment, this week of all times!!! What is Butch Jones thinking?!

And, see, I wasn't trippin. EVERYBODY is seeing the similarities and seriousness of this scandal.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

June 01, 2016, 02:18:43 pm #1 Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 02:42:38 pm by Pig in the Pokey
http://fansided.com/2016/06/01/10-power-5-head-coaches-hot-seat-2016/4/

When he goes down because of the on the field struggles, maybe then we'll hear the slimevols say how he's dealt with the rape scandal was wrong.

This is hilarious, too. "http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/vols/football/butch-jones-not-in-favor-of-sec-realignment--3415da33-345f-6dc0-e053-0100007fb64f-381454461.html"
Yeah, I bet he's not!! #chickenjones
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

"For Jones to defend the school's culture Tuesday, despite the claims of this pending lawsuit, lacked tact and foresight. That simple statement could haunt him his entire career.The circumstances alleged against Tennessee are frighteningly similar to those at Baylor, where coach Art Briles was dismissed and athletic director Ian McCaw resigned following an independent review of the school's culture and institutional response toward sexual assault."

#truthdontlie
@Slackaveli

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Setting aside University staff and whatever they may or may not have done, heads should be rolling at Knoxville PD. Has there been any coverage concerning that?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on June 01, 2016, 03:09:07 pm
Setting aside University staff and whatever they may or may not have done, heads should be rolling at Knoxville PD. Has there been any coverage concerning that?
actually, i totally concur. I have been hard on Butch but at least he did suspend the guys eventually. The Knoxville PD was waaaaaay outta line and they definitely should be getting bashed.
@Slackaveli

AugustaHog

Briles was tweeting similar crap too as recent as a week ago.  If the truth comes out and finds against them, heads will roll.  The media will love that kind of scandal at a more traditional place.  Sharks will be circling and they will can Butch really fast.  He doesn't even have half the resume that Briles did and ol Art was sent packing (should've been earlier than that) as soon as the media applied the slightest pressure.

26.2Hog

It appears that Jones, as Mickey Rivers once said about Rickey Henderson, "ain't exactly all broke out with brilliance".

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 01, 2016, 03:14:33 pm
actually, i totally concur. I have been hard on Butch but at least he did suspend the guys eventually. The Knoxville PD was waaaaaay outta line and they definitely should be getting bashed.

The records showing the calls made between Butch, KPD, and player/suspects are at the very least open to the suggestion of impropriety but KPD should have never put him in that position in the first place.  The actions of certain LEO's in this case are wholly improper and fail to comply with ethical best practices.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: 26.2Hog on June 01, 2016, 03:37:52 pm
It appears that Jones, as Mickey Rivers once said about Rickey Henderson, "ain't exactly all broke out with brilliance".

I think Henderson could have just as easily said that about Rivers.    ;)
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

TUSKtimes

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on June 01, 2016, 03:09:07 pm

In the spirit of transparency and to alleviate any appearance of conflict of interest the Knoxville police department will no longer send out courtesy calls to the university administration, including butch, regarding any incident with a university student. 

Police chief came under a lot of fire when it was found out that he called butch 4 times on the same day that a rape allegation was made.

Good to know that PitP is still breathing. He hadn't started a Tenn thread in 20 minutes and I was getting worried about him.  Someday when he is rich from VolVille he will have the last laugh.

Maddhog

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 01, 2016, 04:43:43 pm
But what would Yogi say.....

Yogi would say "I didn't say those things that I said." 
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

MissippHog

Can it really get any better than the 2 schools that I despise most, Ole Miss and Tennessee, are on their way to a full blown dumpster fire?

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ALLVOL

Quote from: MissippHog on June 01, 2016, 07:07:02 pm
Can it really get any better than the 2 schools that I despise most, Ole Miss and Tennessee, are on their way to a full blown dumpster fire?
You're going to be so disappointed.

KlubhouseKonnected

https://www.seccountry.com/mississippi-state/mississippi-state-drawing-fire-as-it-nears-decision-on-jeffery-simmons-status

QuoteMississippi State's circumstances with Simmons will be even more scrutinized, considering the ongoing situations surrounding domestic violence at Baylor and Tennessee

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Karma on June 01, 2016, 04:20:24 pm
Good to know that PitP is still breathing. He hadn't started a Tenn thread in 20 minutes and I was getting worried about him.  Someday when he is rich from VolVille he will have the last laugh.
i'd +1 if I could. That may be your finest 'hate-on-pokey post' yet!

I would have just posted this in the other thread but is was locked for no apparent reason. It was on topic, nobody was bashing posters personally, and all forum rules were being followed. Mod didn't even leave the obligatory explanation. I didn't just start another thread because of it, i had found the FOX article and it is very recent, since yesterday, Butch saying something so ignorant that I had to post it.
@Slackaveli

SamBuckhart

BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

MissippHog

Quote from: ALLVOL on June 01, 2016, 09:11:55 pm
You're going to be so disappointed.
Doubt it.  Two sleazeball coaches who are finding it difficult to cover their tracks.  It will catch up with them sooner or later.  Always does.

ALLVOL

Quote from: MissippHog on June 01, 2016, 10:09:45 pm
Doubt it.  Two sleazeball coaches who are finding it difficult to cover their tracks.  It will catch up with them sooner or later.  Always does.
LOL Jones has no tracks to cover. Just because you don't know doesn't make you right. I get it you hate UT. But this will not even come close to turning out how you want it to. You're going to hate this football season.
Also, if Jones is such a horrible person, what does it say that Jones and CBB are very good friends? CBB have poor taste in friends?

MissippHog

Quote from: ALLVOL on June 01, 2016, 10:13:19 pm
LOL Jones has no tracks to cover. Just because you don't know doesn't make you right. I get it you hate UT. But this will not even come close to turning out how you want it to. You're going to hate this football season.
Also, if Jones is such a horrible person, what does it say that Jones and CBB are very good friends? CBB have poor taste in friends?
I don't hate UT, I just don't like their fans.  You seem to embody their "spirit."

ALLVOL

Quote from: MissippHog on June 01, 2016, 10:17:25 pm
I don't hate UT, I just don't like their fans.  You seem to embody their "spirit."
If you mean someone who believes in truth over emotion? I wear that badge with honor.

Birminghog

Or as one kid in our neighborhood said about another kid, many years ago now, "He ain't got no whole lot of sense".

bondhue

Well, Baylor finally did the right thing and got an outside review.  I remember thinking how the news reports about the rapes and coverups stunk to the high heavens.  That review lead to the firing of Briles, With NCAA action sure to follow.

After finishing with Baylor the NCAA will have to attend to UT, because the situations are very similar.  I say Butch doesn't make it to the end of the upcoming season.  We'll see.

That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

HognitiveDissonance

Mickey Rivers, when told teammate Reggie Jackson had an IQ of 160
"Out of what, a thousand?"

ALLVOL

Quote from: bondhue on June 01, 2016, 11:07:50 pm
Well, Baylor finally did the right thing and got an outside review.  I remember thinking how the news reports about the rapes and coverups stunk to the high heavens.  That review lead to the firing of Briles, With NCAA action sure to follow.

After finishing with Baylor the NCAA will have to attend to UT, because the situations are very similar.  I say Butch doesn't make it to the end of the upcoming season.  We'll see.

You're wrong on multiple levels.

LZH

ALLVOL

ricepig

Quote from: ALLVOL on June 02, 2016, 06:59:10 am
How would you possibly know different?

No one knows all the facts, just their "take" on what is in the media.

ALLVOL

Quote from: ricepig on June 02, 2016, 07:01:32 am
No one knows all the facts, just their "take" on what is in the media.
You're right to a degree.

ricepig

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ALLVOL on June 01, 2016, 10:13:19 pm
You're going to hate this football season.

May end being you're the one who's going to hate this football season.

Time will tell.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

LZH

Quote from: ALLVOL on June 02, 2016, 06:59:10 am
How would you possibly know different?

That is ridiculous - I don't know, nor have I ever claimed to know, a single thing about this entire mess. You posted about "diverting" a dozen times, but yet that's the best answer you can come up with? That has absolutely nothing to do with what I asked you. You are so sure that all is well in Knoxville, or at least you want everyone to believe you are, so let's hear it.

TUSKtimes

The "proud culture" shot is poor judgement on butch's part. Briles shot off some tweets that were met with some of the same criticisms. It took 3 seconds for the media to bend jones words to look unsympathetic to the many victims. 

Why would any coach at this juncture suggest that he's proud of a culture that has just seen multiple acts of rape perpetrated against university students by members of his football team?

Briles and Jones have a lot in common. Both seem to be tone deaf.

ALLVOL

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 02, 2016, 07:28:37 am
May end being you're the one who's going to hate this football season.

Time will tell.
I feel very good about the upcoming season and the future of our program.

Hawgar The Horrible

Who is advising these coaches? Sometimes it's best to shut the hell up.

These are the types of idiots that party all night and sleep with everything in a skirt during a nasty divorce case. Dumb.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Corkscrew Johnson

Tennessee should learn a lesson from Baylor.  You can do the right thing, fire Jones, take a little pressure off the situation systematically and in a way you can control.  Or, you can let all that pressure build up and have a Mount St Helens explosion where everyone is engulfed in flames.  But alas, if Vols were smart enough to comprehend that series of events, I guess they wouldn't be Vol fans...they would be Commodores.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: TUSKtimes on June 01, 2016, 04:05:59 pm

In the spirit of transparency and to alleviate any appearance of conflict of interest the Knoxville police department will no longer send out courtesy calls to the university administration, including butch, regarding any incident with a university student. 

Police chief came under a lot of fire when it was found out that he called butch 4 times on the same day that a rape allegation was made.
What a brave stand by the Knoxville Police!  What the hell were they doing calling a football coach before they investigated an allegation?

LZH

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on June 02, 2016, 09:24:46 am
Tennessee should learn a lesson from Baylor.  You can do the right thing, fire Jones, take a little pressure off the situation systematically and in a way you can control.  Or, you can let all that pressure build up and have a Mount St Helens explosion where everyone is engulfed in flames.  But alas, if Vols were smart enough to comprehend that series of events, I guess they wouldn't be Vol fans...they would be Commodores.

If it is in fact as bad as what it seems, that is the only reasonable thing to do. Jones is a good coach, but he is not the only good one out there. Tennessee would have no problem spending the money to attract a top-shelf coach, plus it is a very good job and there are dozens big name coaches who would take it (provided that the mess ends with the departure of the current administration). Cut bait and be done with it before it gets any worse.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: LZH on June 02, 2016, 07:33:22 am
That is ridiculous - I don't know, nor have I ever claimed to know, a single thing about this entire mess. You posted about "diverting" a dozen times, but yet that's the best answer you can come up with? That has absolutely nothing to do with what I asked you. You are so sure that all is well in Knoxville, or at least you want everyone to believe you are, so let's hear it.

Ask him what his "truth" is. He'll just dissemble.

Quote from: ALLVOL on June 01, 2016, 10:21:00 pm
If you mean someone who believes in truth over emotion? I wear that badge with honor.

PonderinHog

Quote from: LZH on June 02, 2016, 09:38:04 am
If it is in fact as bad as what it seems, that is the only reasonable thing to do. Jones is a good coach, but he is not the only good one out there. Tennessee would have no problem spending the money to attract a top-shelf coach, plus it is a very good job and there are dozens big name coaches who would take it (provided that the mess ends with the departure of the current administration). Cut bait and be done with it before it gets any worse.
It's my understanding that Hootie has already turned the job down...

LZH

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on June 02, 2016, 09:38:07 am
Ask him what his "truth" is. He'll just dissemble.

It seems that he has gone quite silent on the subject for now....maybe it's a way to hang onto his honorable badge.

TUSKtimes

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on June 02, 2016, 09:35:33 am
What a brave stand by the Knoxville Police!  What the hell were they doing calling a football coach before they investigated an allegation?

4 times in a day was especially hard to explain to the press. So they excommunicated themselves from the head coach. Hard to defend a culture that the Knoxville police department  want no part of.

LZH

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 02, 2016, 09:40:11 am
It's my understanding that Hootie has already turned the job down...

Probably because they told him they weren't interested in moving to the Big12....

Jackrabbit Hog

This is by no means intended to be a defense of Baylor, UT, Briles, Jones, or anyone else, though some of you may take it that way.  But I'd be scared to death to be a head coach of a major college football program today.  The fact is, there's probably very little different that goes on today than what went on 40 years ago off the field, but the social climate has changed.  Back then, I don't care if you were Bear Bryant, Frank Broyles, Bill Battle, or whoever - you had relationships in the media and also in the community that protected the players (especially the "star" players).  A few phone calls could be made and nobody thought there was anything wrong with it, particularly since the transgressions of the players were either hidden from the media successfully or buried by the media if discovered.  We as fans were kept in the dark about all this, and I guess we were fine with it because we wanted our best guys on the field every Saturday. 

It's different now.  For one thing, keeping the bad stuff hidden is virtually impossible.  For another, society demands more accountability and punishment for those that are caught doing wrong, especially sexual assaults and similar stuff.  Which brings me to my original point.  No way a coach can have control over what the 100 or so scholarship guys in his program are doing off the field.  There are bad apples on each team, and sometimes in a sterile environment it's hard to know which ones they are.  Baylor has them.  Tennessee has them.  We have them.  We have been very fortunate thus far in the CBB era and I think a big part of that is a sincere effort on CBB's part to bring in the right kind of kids - but you can never bat a thousand in doing that.  Obviously Baylor and Briles didn't give a crap what kind of kid they brought in, and now it's come back to haunt them.  I think they are getting what they deserve because there is clear evidence that Briles and his staff knew what was going on and intentionally turned a deaf ear and a blind eye to it. 

I do think Tennessee's situation is a little different though.  How much different remains to be seen.  But where Briles intentionally did nothing when he knew something was going on, Jones at least can say he did something - immediately suspending the offending players - once he found out something was going on.  If he learned about it from the Knoxville PD before anyone else knew about it, that's shady and a product of that bygone era I started with, but I think it speaks more poorly of the PD than of Jones.  Jones didn't sit on it; he got rid of the guys.  As for the culture he speaks of, he would be far better off keeping his mouth shut as many of the posters have said.  He may be trying to clean up the culture, but he needs to let the future disciplinary record (or lack thereof) speak for itself.  The culture he's trying to clean up has existed at UT (and at Tuscaloosa, and at Fayetteville, and at Waco) for a long, long time, and it doesn't get changed overnight.  But I do think ALLVOL has a point.  There's no evidence at this point that Jones knew bad stuff was going on and did nothing about it.  That alone may distinguish the Vols situation from the Baylor one.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Theolesnort

Quote from: ALLVOL on June 02, 2016, 08:45:14 am
I feel very good about the upcoming season and the future of our program.
ALLVOL,.no matter even if the truth is favorable to Butch, in this political correct environment Butch and Tennessee have a real problem. Just being upfront with you.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

TUSKtimes

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 02, 2016, 10:03:58 am

I do think Tennessee's situation is a little different though.  How much different remains to be seen.  But where Briles intentionally did nothing when he knew something was going on, Jones at least can say he did something - immediately suspending the offending players - once he found out something was going on.  If he learned about it from the Knoxville PD before anyone else knew about it, that's shady and a product of that bygone era I started with, but I think it speaks more poorly of the PD than of Jones.  Jones didn't sit on it; he got rid of the guys.  As for the culture he speaks of, he would be far better off keeping his mouth shut as many of the posters have said.  He may be trying to clean up the culture, but he needs to let the future disciplinary record (or lack thereof) speak for itself.  The culture he's trying to clean up has existed at UT (and at Tuscaloosa, and at Fayetteville, and at Waco) for a long, long time, and it doesn't get changed overnight.  But I do think ALLVOL has a point.  There's no evidence at this point that Jones knew bad stuff was going on and did nothing about it.  That alone may distinguish the Vols situation from the Baylor one.

I'm sure you were going for more of an overview than a single point. I do think it's a losing battle when kids bring past cultures into the football complex and I personally wouldn't want any part of it as head coach.

But, Tennessee went proactive on this story long ago. All the head coaches decided to put their feeling about the Tennessee culture out there in the public domain for everyone's inspection on national TV. The next thing you hear is Drae Bowles coming to the aid of a rape victim, multiple football players assaulting him and a head coach screaming "traitor".

I'm all about patience and waiting on due process. But butch and his fellow head coaches have already started without us.

a0ashle

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 02, 2016, 10:03:58 am
This is by no means intended to be a defense of Baylor, UT, Briles, Jones, or anyone else, though some of you may take it that way.  But I'd be scared to death to be a head coach of a major college football program today.  The fact is, there's probably very little different that goes on today than what went on 40 years ago off the field, but the social climate has changed.  Back then, I don't care if you were Bear Bryant, Frank Broyles, Bill Battle, or whoever - you had relationships in the media and also in the community that protected the players (especially the "star" players).  A few phone calls could be made and nobody thought there was anything wrong with it, particularly since the transgressions of the players were either hidden from the media successfully or buried by the media if discovered.  We as fans were kept in the dark about all this, and I guess we were fine with it because we wanted our best guys on the field every Saturday. 

It's different now.  For one thing, keeping the bad stuff hidden is virtually impossible.  For another, society demands more accountability and punishment for those that are caught doing wrong, especially sexual assaults and similar stuff.  Which brings me to my original point.  No way a coach can have control over what the 100 or so scholarship guys in his program are doing off the field.  There are bad apples on each team, and sometimes in a sterile environment it's hard to know which ones they are.  Baylor has them.  Tennessee has them.  We have them.  We have been very fortunate thus far in the CBB era and I think a big part of that is a sincere effort on CBB's part to bring in the right kind of kids - but you can never bat a thousand in doing that.  Obviously Baylor and Briles didn't give a crap what kind of kid they brought in, and now it's come back to haunt them.  I think they are getting what they deserve because there is clear evidence that Briles and his staff knew what was going on and intentionally turned a deaf ear and a blind eye to it. 

I do think Tennessee's situation is a little different though.  How much different remains to be seen.  But where Briles intentionally did nothing when he knew something was going on, Jones at least can say he did something - immediately suspending the offending players - once he found out something was going on.  If he learned about it from the Knoxville PD before anyone else knew about it, that's shady and a product of that bygone era I started with, but I think it speaks more poorly of the PD than of Jones.  Jones didn't sit on it; he got rid of the guys. As for the culture he speaks of, he would be far better off keeping his mouth shut as many of the posters have said.  He may be trying to clean up the culture, but he needs to let the future disciplinary record (or lack thereof) speak for itself.  The culture he's trying to clean up has existed at UT (and at Tuscaloosa, and at Fayetteville, and at Waco) for a long, long time, and it doesn't get changed overnight.  But I do think ALLVOL has a point.  There's no evidence at this point that Jones knew bad stuff was going on and did nothing about it.  That alone may distinguish the Vols situation from the Baylor one.

He didn't sit on it? I will admit I am not familiar with the timelines, but did he let them go when it went public, or when he was told about it by the KPD? There is a difference there.

Also the part where he calls a player a traitor for helping the rape victim is by far the most telling... that's not just losing control of a few players, that is actively promoting this culture of protecting the team at all costs.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: TUSKtimes on June 02, 2016, 10:30:50 am

I'm sure you were going for more of an overview than a single point. I do think it's a losing battle when kids bring past cultures into the football complex and I personally wouldn't want any part of it as head coach.

But, Tennessee went proactive on this story long ago. All the head coaches decided to put their feeling about the Tennessee culture out there in the public domain for everyone's inspection on national TV. The next thing you hear is Drae Bowles coming to the aid of a rape victim, multiple football players assaulting him and a head coach screaming "traitor".

I'm all about patience and waiting on due process. But butch and his fellow head coaches have already started without us.

Two points.  First, I'm fairly certain the Bowles comments about being assaulted, being called a traitor by Jones, etc., all hit the media before the UT coaches held their infamous group press conference.  In fact, I think the disclosures about Bowles' allegations were the catalyst for deciding to have such a presser.

Second, I think Jones' transgressions at this point are overreaction and righteous indignation.  He's broadcasting, "How dare you accuse us because we're spotless!", when everybody knows they're not.  He'd be much better off acknowledging that there have been problems with the culture and then stressing the efforts his staff has taken to make it better.  But his pride won't let him do that.  He's being overly defensive and that is just making things worse.