Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Presenting the 2015 Benchies to Recognize Outstanding Accomplishments in Sports

Started by Robert Shields, May 04, 2015, 11:09:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

Presenting the 2015 Benchies to Recognize Outstanding Accomplishments in Sports

Robert Shields

In the spirit of the "Hogspy Awards" that the University of Arkansas athletic department hands out every year to recognize the most memorable moments in athletics, academics, leadership, and community service, if you buy that, From the Bench awards its own version, the "Benchies," to recognize those who have made their mark in the past year in the athletic kingdom. 

We all know the most important award to Razorback athletics is fundraising, but here are the rest. So let's award some Benchies for the more "memorable" moments of the last 12 months.

"Trending Award" – The Boot
Photos of the aftermath of the Razorback victory over LSU with the team and fans celebrating the return of the Golden Boot left a lasting imprint from the season. After shutting out LSU in Fayetteville, the team streaked across the field to seize the Boot from the LSU sideline and then lofted it high and took it out onto the field. It was a jubilant moment and it played out on Facebook and whatever your favorite social media outlet is.

"Improved Award" – Bret Bielema
Mike Anderson could have won this award again by making the NCAA tournament and winning a first-round game. It very well may have been the best team in basketball since 1999 with Derek Hood and Kareem Reid. But in the end, it goes to Bret Bielema, who more than doubled his number of wins and won a bowl game against the Texas Longhorns curb stomping them. That's always a great way to end your season. 

"Karma Award" – Steve Spurrier
We all know who won this award last year and is responsible for the name, but this year it goes to Steve Spurrier. A year after putting a beatdown on Arkansas and saying the Razorbacks will have to recruit their way out of this mess when they were going 3-9, the Gamecocks were terrible while the Hogs just kept getting better and better. For Bielema, the success he enjoyed last year was more than just good recruiting -- it was good coaching and preparation, unlike Spurrier's season.

"The Newbie Award" – Jimmy Dykes
With no head-coaching experience, Dykes was inexplicably given the women's basketball job at Arkansas. He won this award last year also, but he is still the newbie. Some told me he turned the women's basketball season around. I have no reason to doubt them.

"Disappointment Award' – Razorback Football Team
I know this seems odd since I have done nothing but praise the football team, which finished strong winning three out of its last four games and shutting out two ranked opponents in back-to-back games. The disappointment comes from losing so many tight games. The team lost a heartbreaker to Texas A&M in overtime. It was a game where the Razorback outplayed the Aggies most of the game and was the superior team. The Hogs then went on to drop other very close games including one to Alabama where a fumble out of the back of the end zone cost the Razorbacks seven points and to compound it they also missed an extra point and lost the game 13-14. The losses to Mississippi State and Missouri were almost as equally as painful. The more I am typing the more I am beginning to wonder why we are all so optimistic about next season.

"Tweeter Award" – Jeff Long
Love him or hate him, this guy knows how to work Twitter. Maybe he should teach a class for student athletes and famous people how to do it appropriately. He has many loyal followers and has composed thousands of tweets yet never once alleged that he's been hacked as an excuse for a bad tweet. That's awesome. I have noticed some recruits and athletes in the past even retweet his tweets. Long won this last year and looks to be a one-man dynasty with a lock on this award for years to come unless he takes another job somewhere that leads to a Twitter meltdown.

"New Jack City Award" – Jason Henry
"Are you my brother's keeper?" It's OK if you don't get the early 1990s reference. And if that is the case, you probably also don't get the rivalry with Texas, which is not OK. Two years, this award went to Dakota Mosely and last year to Josh Melton. When you get charged with human trafficking... well, never mind.

"Hero Award" – Dominique Reed
Two years ago this award went to Alex Collins, and last year it was Bijhon Jackson. The award has typically gone to an incoming freshman with the most pressure on him to perform at an All-American level. Rafe Peavey was a close runner up last year. This year it goes to a junior college transfer who is not even on campus yet.  The award goes to Dominique Reed as the team needs his big-play potential. Collins and Jackson did not disappoint, so the bar is high for Reed to perform.

What are your awards? Send them to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

Boardon Hamsay

"Did Not Read Award"- Doug, Iceman, Ricepig, Inhogswetrust, zane, Harry Rex Vonner, Calling All Hogs, onebadrubi, duckman, Dwight K Shrute, HoginTennessee, and LSUFan for being among the best at "Did Not Read" pic and gif mockery.  My hat's off to you, fellas.

P.S. Did Not Read

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Inhogswetrust

Did not read...................................sorry no gif. Cue em up if you've got em.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie on May 04, 2015, 11:21:22 am
"Did Not Read Award"- Doug, Iceman, Ricepig, Inhogswetrust, zane, Harry Rex Vonner, Calling All Hogs, onebadrubi, duckman, Dwight K Shrute, HoginTennessee, and LSUFan for being among the best at "Did Not Read" pic and gif mockery.  My hats off to you, fellas.

P.S. Did Not Read

Thank you, thank you very much....

The_Iceman

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: Robert Shields on May 04, 2015, 11:09:05 am
In the spirit of the "Hogspy Awards" that the University of Arkansas athletic department hands out every year to recognize the most memorable moments in athletics, academics, leadership, and community service, if you buy that, From the Bench awards its own version, the "Benchies," to recognize those who have made their mark in the past year in the athletic kingdom. 

Bigdavis

You gotta hand it to ole Robert Shields. He sure is persistent. He's been writing these crappy columns and getting made fun of for like a decade now. Still keeps coming back for more every week.

Calling All Hogs

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on May 04, 2015, 02:30:24 pm
I would give the disappointment award to the softball team. I mean, 1-23 in the SEC?

Robert, Not bad, for a change, other than the proofing
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Bigdavis on May 04, 2015, 01:49:56 pm
You gotta hand it to ole Robert Shields. He sure is persistent. He's been writing these crappy columns and getting made fun of for like a decade now. Still keeps coming back for more every week.

I'd buy the bastage a beer...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Seebs

The Narcissism award goes to, and is presented by, and being accepted by - Robert Shields.
Because Robert Shields is in his dressing room adoring himself, Robert Shields will accept on Robert Shield's behalf.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Mr. Porkleone

Robert Shields

Quote from: Bigdavis on May 04, 2015, 01:49:56 pm

Hard to believe but I started back in 1997 and its been in syndication since 2000.

Robert Shields

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on May 04, 2015, 02:30:24 pm
I would give the disappointment award to the softball team. I mean, 1-23 in the SEC?

Wow, I will take that as a friendly amendment.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogfaniam on May 04, 2015, 02:38:41 pm
Robert, Not bad, for a change, other than the proofing

Maybe he needs a "Didn't Proofread GIF"..................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The_Iceman

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie on May 04, 2015, 11:21:22 am
"Did Not Read Award"- Doug, Iceman, Ricepig, Inhogswetrust, zane, Harry Rex Vonner, Calling All Hogs, onebadrubi, duckman, Dwight K Shrute, HoginTennessee, and LSUFan for being among the best at "Did Not Read" pic and gif mockery.  My hat's off to you, fellas.

P.S. Did Not Read

It's an honor just to be nominated.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Oklahawg

I must admit - at night when I am struggling to fall asleep and nothing seems to help I remember HV and Robert Shields. I log on and go find the latest pearl of wisdom to read.

Then, before I start, I bludgeon myself over the head for even considering wasting one breath of my life reading From the Bench. The bludgeoning usually produces unconsciousness.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

zane

RIP LSUfan

Doug

A camera's view of what happens to us as we attempt to read a RS post (AKA, why we DID NOT READ. We're holding the camera here...)

That being said... obligatory DNR GIfs...

I was going to include more, but after finding this one... I can't... I just can't.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Calling All Hogs

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed

Doug

SJL&ASFP, not too many people are gonna get that last one... but EPICALLY DONE, Sir!

If you don't understand the last image, look up "Jimmy McMillan" and "Rent is too damn high".
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Robert Shields on May 04, 2015, 04:32:32 pm
Hard to believe but I started back in 1997 and its been in syndication since 2000.

It seems almost unfathomable that it took a full three years of you writing this to yourself every day before you were picked up by the Guy-Perkins Tribune and the Possum Hollow Herald.  Please remind us again, who puts this in their newspaper?  I could use a good chuckle in addition to the one where you profess to be "syndicated."

BTW...if your ploy is to write this and come back a day or two later to laugh at the "Did Not Read, LOL" GIF's, then I completely understand.  That would be a clever ploy on your part.  In that regard, I really do enjoy you being around Hogville.  Some of them are priceless.           
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Bigdavis

Quote from: Doug on May 04, 2015, 08:48:02 pm
SJL&ASFP, not too many people are gonna get that last one... but EPICALLY DONE, Sir!

If you don't understand the last image, look up "Jimmy McMillan" and "Rent is too damn high".

Uh? What? That's a super famous skit and has become an even more famous meme.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Oklahawg on May 04, 2015, 05:43:07 pm
I must admit - at night when I am struggling to fall asleep and nothing seems to help I remember HV and Robert Shields. I log on and go find the latest pearl of wisdom to read.

Then, before I start, I bludgeon myself over the head for even considering wasting one breath of my life reading From the Bench. The bludgeoning usually produces unconsciousness.
or you could just walk outside and see how ugly Oklahoma and all its people are, hide your meth and pass out from disappointment.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Nipsey Mussle

Hey, I finally made it through an entire paragraph of this drivel! Sadly, it was a disaster and one agonizing, never-ending sentence.
Otherwise, it's very awesome work, Robert!

josh_sec33

"Disappointment Award' – Razorback Football Team

I disagree. I thought RS earned this one for this year's season of FTB.

Which of course, I didnt read. I skimmed the headings.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Ex-Trumpet

I actually read this...up until the "Disappointment Award."  Then I stopped and realized that the drivel you typed trumped anything relevant that may have come before or after.  Moron.  Maybe get away from the computer and start using your pencil again.

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

NaturalStateReb

Presenting the 2015 Benchies to Recognize Outstanding Accomplishments in Sports

Robert Shields

In the spirit of the “Hogspy Awards” that the University of Arkansas athletic department hands out every year to recognize the most memorable moments in athletics, academics, leadership, and community service, if you buy that, From the Bench awards its own version, the “Benchies,” to recognize those who have made their mark in the past year in the athletic kingdom. 

We all know the most important award to Razorback athletics is fundraising, but here are the rest. So let’s award some Benchies for the more “memorable” moments of the last 12 months.

“Trending Award” – The Boot
Photos of the aftermath of the Razorback victory over LSU with the team and fans celebrating the return of the Golden Boot left a lasting imprint from the season. After shutting out LSU in Fayetteville, the team streaked across the field to seize the Boot from the LSU sideline and then lofted it high and took it out onto the field. It was a jubilant moment and it played out on Facebook and whatever your favorite social media outlet is.

“Improved Award” – Bret Bielema
Mike Anderson could have won this award again by making the NCAA tournament and winning a first-round game. It very well may have been the best team in basketball since 1999 with Derek Hood and Kareem Reid. But in the end, it goes to Bret Bielema, who more than doubled his number of wins and won a bowl game against the Texas Longhorns curb stomping them. That’s always a great way to end your season. 

“Karma Award” – Steve Spurrier
We all know who won this award last year and is responsible for the name, but this year it goes to Steve Spurrier. A year after putting a beatdown on Arkansas and saying the Razorbacks will have to recruit their way out of this mess when they were going 3-9, the Gamecocks were terrible while the Hogs just kept getting better and better. For Bielema, the success he enjoyed last year was more than just good recruiting -- it was good coaching and preparation, unlike Spurrier’s season.

“The Newbie Award” – Jimmy Dykes
With no head-coaching experience, Dykes was inexplicably given the women’s basketball job at Arkansas. He won this award last year also, but he is still the newbie. Some told me he turned the women’s basketball season around. I have no reason to doubt them.

“Disappointment Award’ – Razorback Football Team
I know this seems odd since I have done nothing but praise the football team, which finished strong winning three out of its last four games and shutting out two ranked opponents in back-to-back games. The disappointment comes from losing so many tight games. The team lost a heartbreaker to Texas A&M in overtime. It was a game where the Razorback outplayed the Aggies most of the game and was the superior team. The Hogs then went on to drop other very close games including one to Alabama where a fumble out of the back of the end zone cost the Razorbacks seven points and to compound it they also missed an extra point and lost the game 13-14. The losses to Mississippi State and Missouri were almost as equally as painful. The more I am typing the more I am beginning to wonder why we are all so optimistic about next season.

“Tweeter Award” – Jeff Long
Love him or hate him, this guy knows how to work Twitter. Maybe he should teach a class for student athletes and famous people how to do it appropriately. He has many loyal followers and has composed thousands of tweets yet never once alleged that he’s been hacked as an excuse for a bad tweet. That’s awesome. I have noticed some recruits and athletes in the past even retweet his tweets. Long won this last year and looks to be a one-man dynasty with a lock on this award for years to come unless he takes another job somewhere that leads to a Twitter meltdown.

“New Jack City Award” – Jason Henry
“Are you my brother’s keeper?” It’s OK if you don’t get the early 1990s reference. And if that is the case, you probably also don’t get the rivalry with Texas, which is not OK. Two years, this award went to Dakota Mosely and last year to Josh Melton. When you get charged with human trafficking… well, never mind.

“Hero Award” – Dominique Reed
Two years ago this award went to Alex Collins, and last year it was Bijhon Jackson. The award has typically gone to an incoming freshman with the most pressure on him to perform at an All-American level. Rafe Peavey was a close runner up last year. This year it goes to a junior college transfer who is not even on campus yet.  The award goes to Dominique Reed as the team needs his big-play potential. Collins and Jackson did not disappoint, so the bar is high for Reed to perform.

What are your awards? Send them to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

I just knew I was getting a Benchie for Best Hogville Poster.

The disappointment is palpable.  I will now soothe my wounds in the healing balm of Busch Light.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Grag T

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

thirrdegreetusker

Oklahawg

Quote from: PORKULATOR on May 04, 2015, 09:03:39 pm
or you could just walk outside and see how ugly Oklahoma and all its people are, hide your meth and pass out from disappointment.

Glad to see Robert has a dance partner at the end of the evening.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003