Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Penn Wagers retiring - SIAP

Started by monty hawg, October 13, 2014, 01:44:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

monty hawg

Don't have a link, but just heard on a Birmingham radio sports talk show that this is Penn Wagers last year.  He is retiring after the season.  Interesting phone calls about Bama-Arkansas and Auburn-Ms State games.  Which I could listen to the calls, but back in the office and having to work.

texas tush hog

Quote from: monty hawg on October 13, 2014, 01:44:48 pm
Don't have a link, but just heard on a Birmingham radio sports talk show that this is Penn Wagers last year.  He is retiring after the season.  Interesting phone calls about Bama-Arkansas and Auburn-Ms State games.  Which I could listen to the calls, but back in the office and having to work.

Great news, now if we could just coax Marc Curles into retirement.

HamIAm

I'll believe it after it happens.

Hog Milanese

ricepig

Quote from: HamIAm on October 13, 2014, 01:52:01 pm
I'll believe it after it happens.

Lots of Benjamin's been flowing in, he can afford it now......

HamIAm

in case someone missed the file13 thread, the SEC office admitted Wagers erred in running the clock out.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/sec-alabama-arkansas-referee-mistakenly-ran-clock

Justifiable Hogicide

Hollywood_HOGan45

Not nearly as bad as the 2010 game at Auburn.

Ill always remember Wagers for that traiin wreck.

HogsBalls

DeltaBoy

Day too late for me. Peen and Mark Curles should have been gone 5 years ago if not sooner.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

WardamnHOGGLE

hoggusamoungus

rickm1976

Forrest City Joe and I couldn't be happier.

Jackrabbit Hog

I've always thought his show in Vegas with Teller was pretty good.  He's better at that than officiating.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Good news.  Guess he reached his goal, & decided he had screwed up enough games & calls to make the ....."Ref's Hall of Shame".  He should easily make it on the first vote.....

Ironic that this comes out right after "doing" our game....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

showme

Quote from: HogsBalls on October 13, 2014, 02:25:02 pm
Remember he screwed us in Florida too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWlUzFkE2-w
That is the wrong idiot. The idiot that screwed us at Florida was Curles. Both men would have a hard time spelling cat if you gave them 3 tries but I'm surprised Wagers can even dress himself in the mornings. He truly isn't a very smart man. Not sure what he does for a living but rest assured it does not require a triple digit IQ.

LRHawg

Of course he's retiring. He's probably pocketed enough booster money this year to pick up an upgrade on the interior of his RV.  :puke:

RedRock

It's an Alabama conference....preference

HF#1

He did work the Auburn 2010 game.  The supposed Dyer TD....
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

PORKULATOR

If only it'd have been a year sooner.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

TheGreatHogsby

Quote from: rickm1976 on October 13, 2014, 02:31:10 pm
Forrest City Joe and I couldn't be happier.
Count Me in too. All Arkansas Fans should be happy if true.

BCHogFan

Best news that I've heard all day
How bout them Hogs!!!

hogcard1964

He needs his a&$ severely beaten.

John (mrchambo) Chamberlain

One game (at least) too late...Good Riddance, Penn.

MrC

TheGreatHogsby

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 13, 2014, 04:17:19 pm
He needs his a&$ severely beaten.
Their needs to be a Dunking Booth set up for Him and Marc. We'd have fun. ;D

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on October 13, 2014, 01:59:38 pm
Good riddance. He's a cheater.

I really simply believe his crew is just made up of idiots... He is the chief... I hope he has a good retirement, and may God help us with his replacement...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Jackrabbit Hog

Best SEC ref I've seen is. . .

[attachment deleted by admin]
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

HogFaninMemphis

So not to derail this and every other referee thread, but you guys do realize that referees rarely are the ones throwing the questionable flags, right? The clock thing was the ref's fault, but everything downfield is irrelevant of the referee, as are many calls on the line. This is like blaming the baseball crew chief for a bad game when he didn't have the call.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

forrest city joe

Some of you guys think that i am just blowing smoke when i tell you about cheaters like Wagers, Curles and others. what's is is going to take for you  guys to believe me? this is not the first screw job on Arkansas by this guy. he should be fired now, and not allowed to retire. Alabama and their freaking refs both make me sick. that call on Dan Skipper was flat out cheating. that refs stood there and watched Skipper hit twice in the face and neck. and called  it on Skipper when he did nothing. watch that made me want to puke.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: forrest city joe on October 13, 2014, 05:11:33 pm
Some of you guys think that i am just blowing smoke when i tell you about cheaters like Wagers, Curles and others. what's is is going to take for you  guys to believe me? this is not the first screw job on Arkansas by this guy. he should be fired now, and not allowed to retire. Alabama and their freaking refs both make me sick. that call on Dan Skipper was flat out cheating. that refs stood there and watched Skipper hit twice in the face and neck. and called  it on Skipper when he did nothing. watch that made me want to puke.

FCJ at his best! +1 if I could for you bleeding Razorback red.

DCHogger

I tell you, I've watched more than one game when Penn Wagers was ref'ing our games, and one has to wonder if he really has it in for the Hogs.  Because...
- During the kickoff, if we had slammed "Bama's running back like they did our's , we would have surely been called for a personal foul.  Bank on it.  I think Penn was about to pull the flag but stopped mid stream. 
- Skipper should not have been called for personal foul, he just stood there and he was called for a PF when it clearly showed that the Bama defender kept hauling off and hitting him (3 more times).  Skipper got the best of him and the Bama guy could not handle it.
- We got some horrible spots during that game.  I was appalled at some of the spots that Bama got.     
- We got screwed at the end of the game with the clock running out, we should have at least got one play, maybe two.
- That touchback play at the end zone makes me scratch my head.  I thought it was an incomplete pass.  But, I could not see the angle well.  Also, I do recall the Bama player slamming the ball down on the goal one and lost control of the ball too.  What gives....maybe it does not apply, but it sure does make one wonder why we can't get that break. 

forrest city joe

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 13, 2014, 05:23:10 pm
FCJ at his best! +1 if I could for you bleeding Razorback red.
It is a disgrace the way Arkansas is treated by these BS SEC refs. and i am sick of our guys getting screwed. the idea that not one ref on that field did not know that clock should have been stopped is a joke, and a disgrace.

secfan30

I never understood why the refs are off limits to being complained about by players and coaches. Some accountability may come in handy

Pigsknuckles

Guess he plans on a scorched earth policy till then.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

forrest city joe

Quote from: secfan30 on October 13, 2014, 05:39:07 pm
I never understood why the refs are off limits to being complained about by players and coaches. Some accountability may come in handy
The only accountability these crooks have is to make sure teams like Bama keeps beating teams like Arkansas. it SICKENING!

Bubba's Bruisers

If the SEC is cheating via their refs, then why do we care that Penn is retiring?  His retirement has no relevance.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

kodiakisland

Quote from: secfan30 on October 13, 2014, 05:39:07 pm

Because the money involved is much bigger than one individual program.  Complain and get cut off in revenue sharing.  College football is not what it was 20 or 30 years ago.  Way too much money involved now.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

HogFanatic

The Dan Skipper call was out of line.

I still can't believe that Bielema couldn't get his timeout called.
He should have just ran out there and tackled Sims to the ground while screaming "TIME OUT". I mean, he did everything but that.

HogFanatic

The SEC has a vested interest in protecting the higher ranked program.
Anyone who doesn't see and understand how this works is kidding themselves. It's not that the refs are against the Hogs PERSONALLY. It is that the SEC really, really cares about keeping a team or two at the top of the rankings.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on October 13, 2014, 06:06:49 pm

The SEC has a far greater vested interest in being absolutely sure there is no hint of bias that would damage the money machine.

Bias is unacceptable.  However, incompetence is tolerated to a degree since that is expected by the public.

That's why Curles crew was suspended in 2009 and Wagers is being allowed to quietly retire.

ShadowTheHedgehog

I dont know if this is a good thing.

I get that he cheats, but why retiring now? IMO his type of services are no longer required by the SEC with all the added scrutiny and 24/4 coverage of the conference. His cheating is to obvious, and several teams have complained, so he needs to go.

Now, lets say he is gone and someone else cheats us, how can we complain? People will just think we always blame the refs.

PS: Is it true that Curles will be the refs for the Georgia game?

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on October 13, 2014, 06:06:49 pm
Anyone who doesn't see and understand how this works is kidding themselves. It's not that the refs are against the Hogs PERSONALLY. It is that the SEC really, really cares about keeping a team or two at the top of the rankings.

That is why we should have an 8 teams playoffs system. Five spots going automatically to the champions of each of the so called power-5 conferences and then 3 ad-hock spots.

Sivad

Tommy Bell
Preston Watts
Marc Curles
Penn Wagers

The Four Whoresmen of the SEC Officials Appocolypse.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Sivad on October 13, 2014, 06:23:24 pm
Tommy Bell
Preston Watts
Marc Curles
Penn Wagers

The Four Whoresmen of the SEC Officials Appocolypse.
you left out a few. Larry Leatherwood and Ritter the A&M game ref.

hognc2010

? Is Tommy Bell related to some ref Buddy Bell from the 60"s who made a call that let Ole Miss win?
I remember hearing my relatives talk about the guy when I was young and how he was not welcomed in the state of Arkansas.  Just curious.

jfred59

Quote from: hognc2010 on October 13, 2014, 06:39:36 pm
? Is Tommy Bell related to some ref Buddy Bell from the 60"s who made a call that let Ole Miss win?
I remember hearing my relatives talk about the guy when I was young and how he was not welcomed in the state of Arkansas.  Just curious.

Thats the same Tommy Bell

clutch

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on October 13, 2014, 06:05:20 pm
The Dan Skipper call was out of line.

I still can't believe that Bielema couldn't get his timeout called.
He should have just ran out there and tackled Sims to the ground while screaming "TIME OUT". I mean, he did everything but that.

He should have taken Rhett's approach. Sliding into the official gets their attention haha.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/auburn-oc-rhett-lashlee-wiped-out-while-calling-a-timeout--gif-224140717.html

rickm1976

Quote from: forrest city joe on October 13, 2014, 05:11:33 pm

Yep.  I was shocked that they even felt like they could get away with such an obvious cheating call, but danged if they did get away with it.  They might as well announce it before each game that they are going to cheat us X number of times in the game.  At least then we would know what it was going to take to win.

Dr. Starcs

Never trust an official named "wagers".

onebadrubi

Publicaly interviewing or talking to refs could lead to accountability.  The SEC can't have that happen now can they.