Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why has there not been more backlash for Bielema's comments

Started by Tim, September 05, 2014, 06:36:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

to attack an injured player?  Isn't this guy the champion of player safety?

RazorWild

Do you have a problem with what he said?  If so, I think your taking the comment out of context like so many do.  I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to take someone's knee out if they're limping. 

NaturalStateReb

It wasn't flattering. I don't think anyone's going to care much what he says in the pressers until he wins a few.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Tim

Quote from: RazorWild on September 05, 2014, 06:41:53 am
Do you have a problem with what he said?  If so, I think your taking the comment out of context like so many do.  I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to take someone's knee out if they're limping.

"If he's holding his knee or he's holding his wrist, or he's bent over, he's holding his leg or he's working his ankle out, go after that baby," Bielema said Monday at his weekly news conference. "When I was a wrestler and you've got a brace on, I'm going after your ass, you know?
"That's the mentality I think that we have to establish."

How should I take it?

lefty08

Quote from: Tim on September 05, 2014, 06:42:40 am

"If he's holding his knee or he's holding his wrist, or he's bent over, he's holding his leg or he's working his ankle out, go after that baby," Bielema said Monday at his weekly news conference. "When I was a wrestler and you've got a brace on, I'm going after your ass, you know?

How should I take it?

In the most negative way possible?  Seems to fit
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

secrules25

Did he really say that ? It doesnt really mesh with his concerns of player safety.. I don't believe he said that.

twistitup

He's all over the place with his comments ...reeks of desperation
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

NaturalStateReb

He did say it. It was in the paper and radio.

I think (hope) he was talking about attacking a team's weaknesses, but it didn't read good.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Ex-Trumpet

Not really sure what the big deal is...a hunting lion chooses the most vulnerable prey.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Tim on September 05, 2014, 06:36:47 am

If you think he's the only coach that thinks that way, you are sorely mistaken.

No different than an offense trying to take advantage of a DB slowed by an injury.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Tim

Quote from: secrules25 on September 05, 2014, 06:45:45 am
Did he really say that ? It doesnt really mesh with his concerns of player safety.. I don't believe he said that.
Believe it. 

Tim

Quote from: Al Boarland on September 05, 2014, 06:49:25 am
Link?
Tuesday's paper.  From Bielema's presser. 

I heard the quote on Bo's show yesterday.  He has the audio. 

Tim

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on September 05, 2014, 06:48:41 am
If you think he's the only coach that thinks that way, you are sorely mistaken.

No different than an offense trying to take advantage of a DB slowed by an injury.

A) I do not think he is the only coach who feels that way.  I think 100% of coaches feel that way.

B) He has chosen to be the one bringing out death certificates and player safety to try to stop the HUNH.  Not 100% of coaches.  Bret Bielema. 

chitwnhog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 05, 2014, 06:48:21 am
He did say it. It was in the paper and radio.

I think (hope) he was talking about attacking a team's weaknesses, but it didn't read good.

Attacking weakness is how I took it but our "fans" take it in an unflattering direction.

colbs

My gosh anything he says people try to make it a big deal.  Most of what he says is taken out of context. 

Tim

Quote from: colbs on September 05, 2014, 06:59:33 am
My gosh anything he says people try to make it a big deal.  Most of what he says is taken out of context.

"FAYETTEVILLE -- Arkansas Coach Bret Bielema stressed he wants his players reacting to any physical weaknesses they see from opponents during games.
Bielema said that when he was a defensive coordinator, he talked to his players about being like a boxer who goes after a cut bleeding over the other guy's eye.
If an opposing player looks to be favoring something physically, Bielema said the Razorbacks need to exploit that to their advantage.

Again, I am not saying that Bielema is wrong to attack physical weaknesses.

I am saying that Bielema doesn't care about player safety, but rather wants to stop the HUNH because he cannot handle it. 

HawginTexas

I have no problem with that comment. That's what you do in war, sports and business. You attack the weakness of your opponent.  Every player who walks on that field knows the possibility of injury. They also know that if they are injured and the other team knows it, they will be attacked. Every coach I've played for talk like that. It's part of wanting to win....I'm sure he doesn't want to see players get hurt on either team, what he is saying his you have to find weaknesses and attack them in your opponent.

Ex-Trumpet

It's about time some of our "fans" started watching soccer again.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Hogarusa

Well...every coach may say it but it does come across as a little hypocritical from a coach who believes the hurry up offense needs to be slowed down for player safety concerns.  After all, hurry up offenses basically work on that same frame of mind.  They want to exhaust you, wear you down, hands on hips, etc.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Tim

Quote from: Hogarusa on September 05, 2014, 07:05:02 am
Well...every coach may say it but it does come across as a little hypocritical from a coach who believes the hurry up offense needs to be slowed down for player safety concerns.  After all, hurry up offenses basically work on that same frame of mind.  They want to exhaust you, wear you down, hands on hips, etc.

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Tim on September 05, 2014, 06:42:40 am

How should I take it?

You should take it as the lightweight you apparently are. Others who have been there and done that take it the way it was intended.  Toughen up! 

In sports there is a big difference between being injured and hurt but I'm sure you know nothing about that.   

onebadrubi

Quote from: Tim on September 05, 2014, 07:06:29 am

The only reason you have an issue with it is because you pounding away at an agenda! 

If a player is showing something hurt and not getting off the field, you dang sure go after that!  The only reason you bring this up is because malzahn isn't the one saying it, if he was you'd be in full support

JoeyCapital

He can be concerned with HIS players safety and still want them to attack opponents weaknesses. They're not mutually exclusive.

If an opposing coach keeps a partially injured player on the field then he's fair game.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Choctaw Hog

HF#1

Yes, because it's Bielema's fault when the other coach puts an injured player on the field.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

chitwnhog

rzrbackrob

BB needs a filter. Some thoughts are not for public consumption.
Good is the enemy of great

Steef

I am becoming a Bret fan and generally give him 'glass half full' leeway. But it was not an artful thing to say.

He does stick his foot in his mouth from time to time.

And considering that there is a contingent of Hog fans (hopefully small...but certainly vocal on this board...and consistent) who would fire him today if they could, it would be helpful if he WOULD just stop saying controversial stuff for a while.

As to those who say 'let him win a game before he says this stuff'....road apples. Anyone who says that, has already made up their minds about Bret and one win won't change them.

otoh....those people complaining about what he IS saying, would almost certainly also complain if he didn't ever give another presser. Because they're going to complain, no matter what.

Ex-Trumpet

secrules25

I don't think CBB thinks a lot about the things he says. He needs to work on that.

smb

Quote from: Tim on September 05, 2014, 06:36:47 am
Do you honestly think that other coaches would not say the same thing?
GeorgiaHOG

M L (bassplayer)

Quote from: Tim on September 05, 2014, 07:06:29 am

No, this is another attempt to pick at our coach because, you don't like him.
The quote was about personal battles in combat. Like a gladiator fighting his opponent, not the attempt to circumvent the rules of player substitution by no huddle offenses.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Mike Irwin

Perhaps a few people posting in this thread are so clueless that they interpret what he said as a green light for targeting the injury itself. Neither Bret Bielema or any other coach or fan is responsible for their ignorance of the sport of football.

Most do get it. Most clearly understand that he's saying if a cornerback is slowed by a foot or leg injury throw the football in his direction.

If a defensive tackle is running out of gas, the guy blocking him tells the quarterback and they start running the football right at him.

If a player has a major injury his own coaches are going to get him off the field. If the problem is minor they may choose to leave him out there and if they do the other team is going to try to take advantage of that situation.

Heaven forbid that Bret Bielema says publicly what every coach and player on the planet knows.

For those of you who are so clueless that you don't understand this concept do the rest of us a favor and find a new hobby.

However, the majority of those who chose to attack Bielema for this know exactly what he meant. They want him gone and they will use every opportunity to go after him.

The people who manage this board have already removed many of the people with an anti Bielema bias from this board. Others will soon go.

This season is about trying to enjoy Razorback football and the process of trying to rebuild the program from the disaster of 2012. Lanny is not going to let fans who want Gus, or Bobby or Nutt to be coaching this team to ruin the season for everybody else.

The hammer will continue to fall on those people. Hogville is not the place for their anti Bielema agenda and they are fooling no one.

alohawg

yep
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Biggus Piggus

You don't go after the injury. You attack the weak spot on the field. Bielema said this because this is exactly what Auburn did. When Auburn sensed a player was gassed or slowed, they went right at him.
[CENSORED]!

HogShat

Geez Louise!! Its not like he told them to sweep the leg ya bunch of Nancy's!!! Exploit the weakness! If a dlineman is gimped and getting blown off the line every play, run it at his hole! If a dback is gimpy put your best WR on him and see if he can keep up! If their go to WR has come up lame, put our #2 corner on him not our best guy. Now, back in the day on of those 2 years that USCe beat the brakes off of us, someone hit their qb waaaaaay late. Paul was going on about how he hated that we did that and so on, and granted, it was a dumb move. Then Keith says, "I think it was a smart play, thats their best guy and if I get a chance to try and knock him out of the game I am gonna do it!!!" That is sounding off like you have a pair!

Steef

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 05, 2014, 07:25:58 am
You don't go after the injury. You attack the weak spot on the field. Bielema said this because this is exactly what Auburn did. When Auburn sensed a player was gassed or slowed, they went right at him.

That is what he meant. But he didn't say it well and it could (and was) misconstrued by his enemies.

ldfergu

Quote from: Tim on September 05, 2014, 07:01:47 am
"

I am saying that Bielema doesn't care about player safety, but rather wants to stop the HUNH because he cannot handle it.

The officials can't even handle it. That's the only argument that matters

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 05, 2014, 07:22:01 am
Perhaps a few people posting in this thread are so clueless that they interpret what he said as a green light for targeting the injury itself. Neither Bret Bielema or any other coach or fan is responsible for their ignorance of the sport of football.

Most do get it. Most clearly understand that he's saying if a cornerback is slowed by a foot or leg injury throw the football in his direction.

If a defensive tackle is running out of gas, the guy blocking him tells the quarterback and they start running the football right at him.

If a player has a major injury his own coaches are going to get him off the field. If the problem is minor they may choose to leave him out there and if they do the other team is going to try to take advantage of that situation.

Heaven forbid that Bret Bielema says publicly what every coach and player on the planet knows.

For those of you who are so clueless that you don't understand this concept do the rest of us a favor and find a new hobby.

However, the majority of those who chose to attack Bielema for this know exactly what he meant. They want him gone and they will use every opportunity to go after him.

The people who manage this board have already removed many of the people with an anti Bielema bias from this board. Others will soon go.

This season is about trying to enjoy Razorback football and the process of trying to rebuild the program from the disaster of 2012. Lanny is not going to let fans who want Gus, or Bobby or Nutt to be coaching this team to ruin the season for everybody else.

The hammer will continue to fall on those people. Hogville is not the place for their anti Bielema agenda and they are fooling no one.

DING DING DING WE HAVE THE REAL WINNER!!!!

rcopela

tampahog

I respect the mentality of attacking a teams weakness as Mike points  out above (defense is tired, down to a 3rd teamer at a certain position of vulnerability).  What I don't want to happen is that our players interpret this in a way that takes them away from their fundamentals.  For example, if I see a RB walking back to the huddle with a mild limp, on the next play I'd still rather see our CB still make a good form tackle (square up, wrap up, drive the legs) vs. diving for the legs only to find air.  I will trust our coaches to ensure our players don't get the wrong message from this. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HogShat on September 05, 2014, 07:27:21 am
Geez Louise!! Its not like he told them to sweep the leg ya bunch of Nancy's!!! Exploit the weakness! If a dlineman is gimped and getting blown off the line every play, run it at his hole! If a dback is gimpy put your best WR on him and see if he can keep up! If their go to WR has come up lame, put our #2 corner on him not our best guy. Now, back in the day on of those 2 years that USCe beat the brakes off of us, someone hit their qb waaaaaay late. Paul was going on about how he hated that we did that and so on, and granted, it was a dumb move. Then Keith says, "I think it was a smart play, thats their best guy and if I get a chance to try and knock him out of the game I am gonna do it!!!" That is sounding off like you have a pair!

Suddenly all the anti-Bielema people turn into tennis fans and forget anything they ever knew about football. Convenient huh.
[CENSORED]!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: steefhog on September 05, 2014, 07:27:50 am
That is what he meant. But he didn't say it well and it could (and was) misconstrued by his enemies.
It wasn't misconstrued. His enemies know what he meant and they're going to try to change it and use it to their advantage.

Guess what? It doesn't matter. Brett Bielema isn't employed by Hogville. His boss is not some guy on a message board with an agenda.

Bret Bielema is in the second year of a six year contract. If you don't like that go bark at the moon. It will do you about as much good as attacking him on a message board.

Bacons Rebellion

I distinctly remember telling my 14U softball team, "The other third baseman is fat and has something wrapped around her knee, so we're going to bunt at her whenever we need a hit. If you get the bunt sign BUNT TO THIRD BASE.  But we're not going to just start out doing that because then they'll just change third basemen." They thought it was a grand idea. I guess I'm really evil.

HF#1

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on September 05, 2014, 07:43:53 am
I distinctly remember telling my 14U softball team, "The other third baseman is fat and has something wrapped around her knee, so we're going to bunt at her whenever we need a hit. If you get the bunt sign BUNT TO THIRD BASE.  But we're not going to just start out doing that because then they'll just change third basemen." They thought it was a grand idea. I guess I'm really evil.

You sir, are an a-hole.  lol

onebadrubi

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on September 05, 2014, 07:43:53 am

They should have made her catch, it's the name of the game and not everyone should get a trophy world

Pig In The City

Steef

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 05, 2014, 07:42:57 am
It wasn't misconstrued. His enemies know what he meant and they're going to try to use it to their advantage.

Guess what? It doesn't matter. Brett Bielema isn't employed by Hogville. His boss is not some guy on a message board with an agenda.

Bret Bielema is in the second year of a six year contract. If you don't like that go bark at the moon. It will do you about as much good as attacking him on a message board.

You need to save your angry snarling for someone who's deserving. I am and will continue to support Bret as our coach and said so already in this thread.

Doesn't mean I think he's perfect.

He's got a gift for sticking his foot in his mouth. Has no bearing on how well he's doing his job, but it's true. Given that truth, and also given the truth that people exist who gleefully hate him for anything, it would be helpful if he WOULDN'T stick his foot in his mouth.

It's moot, what he meant. His enemies will take the 'letter' of his comments and twist them. As they have in this thread.

Now go be mad at some of them.