Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Identity Theft of Mitch Mustain

Started by jmoneyhog, October 20, 2013, 07:55:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jmoneyhog

Just got back from the Hot Springs Documentary Film Festival. The story leaves one saying "What a shame" that:

1. An obviously bright, talented kid never got the chance to fulfill his potential due to the overbearing egos of the likes of Broyles, Nutt, Malzhan. Lindsey, George.

2. The media let Nutt get away with the sabatoge of the program.

3. The talk shows and message boards made matters even worse with their unbridled commentary with no regard for the truth.

4. After being essentially pushed away from Arkansas, he set off on a journey that he is still struggling to fulfill.

In a brief conversation after the screening, Mitch essentially confirmed that the excuse Nutt used of "still getting the ball to Darren, Felix and Peyton" was bogus, saying Malzhan would have found a way to use all the talent on the field. You walk away with the feeling that every thing was in place for a run at the national championship if Nutt had simply done what he said he would do and "turn Gus loose". A sad reminder of what could have been...
Smell what the Hog is cookin'!

CallThemHawgs!

Great post. Definitely agree. That season started off with so much promise.

And then crashed and burned.

But then again, what else would you expect from Arkansas Football? Cant wait to see it for myself.

BartIV

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on October 20, 2013, 07:59:21 pm
Great post. Definitely agree. That season started off with so much promise.

And then crashed and burned.

But then again, what else would you expect from Arkansas Football? Cant wait to see it for myself.
great post, my thoughts exactly. Run From Greatness is our motto.

Hawg Life

Quote from: jmoneyhog on October 20, 2013, 07:55:12 pm
Just got back from the Hot Springs Documentary Film Festival. The story leaves one saying "What a shame" that:

1. An obviously bright, talented kid never got the chance to fulfill his potential due to the overbearing egos of the likes of Broyles, Nutt, Malzhan. Lindsey, George.

3. The talk shows and message boards made matters even worse with their unbridled commentary with no regard for the truth.

4. After being essentially pushed away from Arkansas, he set off on a journey that he is still struggling to fulfill.

In a brief conversation after the screening, Mitch essentially confirmed that the excuse Nutt used of "still getting the ball to Darren, Felix and Peyton" was bogus, saying Malzhan would have found a way to use all the talent on the field. You walk away with the feeling that every thing was in place for a run at the national championship if Nutt had simply done what he said he would do and "turn Gus loose". A sad reminder of what could have been...

I wish MM would go into The Witness Protection Plan. His 15 minute are up. Did he speak about his arrest?

jmoneyhog

One other thought: the image most people have of Mitch is completely different from the guy I saw in the video and the man I met. That's a lesson that we all need to keep in mind in these times of high emotion and unbridled opinions.

BartIV

Quote from: Hawg Life on October 20, 2013, 08:02:45 pm
I wish MM would go into The Witness Protection Plan. His 15 minute are up. Did he speak about his arrest?
Interception King???

jmoneyhog

Yes, he was very open about it being a dumb stunt that he thought would be funny. For the record, he was arrested, but never charged with trying to sell his ADD medicine on Craigslist because he had decided to quit using it and he had a supply on hand. The stunt seemed to be part of his offbeat personality rather than a situation of him spiraling down into criminal activity.

HogFanatic

He is still undefeated as a starter, is he not?
He is perhaps the single most successful QB to ever play the game who never got a chance to prove it.

That said, that was a tough issue. Nutt was under fire. He most likely felt he was losing control when he was strong-armed into hiring Gus. Combine that with an idiot of a d coordinator who was openly bashing a fellow assistant coach, and you have a perfect recipe for a downward spiral. Glad that's all behind us.

ROBLYNNM

Quote from: Hawg Life on October 20, 2013, 08:02:45 pm
Mitch has spoken about his arrest previously.  Unlike most older adults on this message board he didn't blame everyone and their dog.  He basically said it was a stupid thing he did....and took responsibility for his actions...which very few older adults on this message board would do.....

BartIV

Quote from: HogFanatic on October 20, 2013, 08:11:05 pm
He is perhaps the single most successful QB to ever play the game who never got a chance to prove it.

That said, that was a tough issue. Nutt was under fire. He most likely felt he was losing control when he was strong-armed into hiring Gus. Combine that with an idiot of a d coordinator who was openly bashing a fellow assistant coach, and you have a perfect recipe for a downward spiral. Glad that's all behind us.
I say, "What could have been" and you say, "Glad that's all behind us."

jmoneyhog

He's still hoping for a Kurt Warner style entry into the NFL. Something tells me that he just might pull it off if a team is willing to stick their neck out and give him a shot. For now, arena football keeps him in the game.

HogFanatic

Quote from: BartIV on October 20, 2013, 08:13:14 pm
I say, "What could have been" and you say, "Glad that's all behind us."

That was a terrible situation. Too many chefs in the kitchen, too many chiefs in the tribe, whatever you wanna call it. There was blame to go all around, from Mustain, Mustain's mother, Nutt, Herring, Malzahn, etc.
It was a calamity. Sorta like the motorcycle incident.

Our football program has been one disaster after another for several years now. I am ready for some damn stability. Don't know about you guys.

BartIV

Quote from: HogFanatic on October 20, 2013, 08:17:42 pm
That was a terrible situation. Too many chefs in the kitchen, too many chiefs in the tribe, whatever you wanna call it. There was blame to go all around, from Mustain, Mustain's mother, Nutt, Herring, Malzahn, etc.
It was a calamity. Sorta like the motorcycle incident.

Our football program has been one disaster after another for several years now. I am ready for some damn stability. Don't know about you guys.
I am with you, but Arkansas Football and Stability are very distant cousins.

jmoneyhog

While the cast members have changed, a couple of important elements that were at work during that season are still at work...least of which is a rabid vocal fan base with a lot of people who have no clue what they are talking about having the "megaphone" of message boards and call-in shows. It gives their foolishness as much public profile as those who know and matter. I'm not sure that "stability" can survive very long in such a toxic environment.

Hawg Life

Quote from: HogFanatic on October 20, 2013, 08:11:05 pm

He sure proved it @ USC.

Hawg Life

Quote from: jmoneyhog on October 20, 2013, 08:06:46 pm
Yes, he was very open about it being a dumb stunt that he thought would be funny. For the record, he was arrested, but never charged with trying to sell his ADD medicine on Craigslist because he had decided to quit using it and he had a supply on hand. The stunt seemed to be part of his offbeat personality rather than a situation of him spiraling down into criminal activity.

Alarming that he finds humor I committing a felony!

HogFanatic

Quote from: Hawg Life on October 20, 2013, 08:25:50 pm
He sure proved it @ USC.

Pull up his stats as a starting quarterback all time.
He was something like 62-0 when he got here. Then he went 8-0 here.

I don't think he ever started a game at USC. That surprised me a little, but at that time USC was the Bama of College Football, only more explosive. Instead of hanging 50 on us like Bama tends to, they would post 70+.
Tough to get the job at a program like that.

westside_player

we got drilled by 50 friggin points at home against Southern Cal that year.

When you do that, you're probably not playing for the National Championship

Hawg Life

Quote from: HogFanatic on October 20, 2013, 08:29:57 pm

I don't think he ever started a game at USC. That surprised me a little, but at that time USC was the Bama of College Football, only more explosive. Instead of hanging 50 on us like Bama tends to, they would post 70+.

He was 3rd string for a reason. He did well @ a high school that recruits players.

UA1985

Did HDN influence the USC coaches, where he sat on the bench for multiple years? Did the film talk about the role of Mitch's over-bearing mother in his demise?

Go back and look at Mitch's performance in his first 8 games (the much-referenced 8-0 start). His play was poor to mediocre. He showed no improvement over that span. The 8-0 record was a result of a strong running game. He didn't have what it takes to be a top notch major college QB.

Murr

That was one of the craziest and stupidest season ever in college football and it completely involved off the field drama. MM does not get a free pass either.  I think his mom was complaining about her freshman QB not getting enough pass attempts per game when he had two, 2, first round running backs to hand the ball off to.  MM also made another piss poor decision to stay at USCw and rot on the bench during his remaining years of NCAA eligibility.  Glad to see all of those clowns gone from the UofA

(notOM)Rebel123

Who cares? No reason to rehash that crap again. The whole gang...Nutt, Gus, MM...they all played a role in that fiasco. Time to move on.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Hawg Life on October 20, 2013, 08:27:39 pm
Alarming that he finds humor I committing a felony!

He didn't commit a felony. Being arrested doesn't mean convicted.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Fatty McGee on October 20, 2013, 08:51:47 pm
He didn't commit a felony. Being arrested doesn't mean convicted.

You can "commit" a felony and not be convicted of it.
Still doesn't erase the fact that you did it.

jmoneyhog

As far as Beck Campbell is concerned, Mike Irwin stated in the film that there was absolutely no evidence that she was the wild-eyed, overbearing little-league mom she was portrayed to be. In fact, Irwin said she had never been known to interfere at Springdale or at Arkansas before the parent meeting with Broyles. Mitch did say she got involved in securing his release and had a few choice words with Nutt when he resisted Mitch's request. It was portrayed as nothing more than any of us would do if our kid was caught in that meat grinder of a situation.

Pigdiana Jones

"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

Fatty McGee

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 20, 2013, 08:52:52 pm
You can "commit" a felony and not be convicted of it.
Still doesn't erase the fact that you did it.

Except he didn't according to the person who would have had to prove it.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

(notOM)Rebel123

kaiserhog

He was a talented quarterback, these people that say he did not have the talent.  They are not to be taken seriously.

Not to the same extent but the same is going on with Brandon Allen, with the way people are bashing him.  On this board, especially.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Hawg Life on October 20, 2013, 08:42:07 pm
He was 3rd string for a reason. He did well @ a high school that recruits players.

idiotic statement

Those kids played together since Kiwanis in grade school.

BigSexyHog

Sad that we still have idiot fans that bash MM but love BA.   just goes to show you that our  fanbase is very dumb
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Hollywood_HOGan45

At least Gus and Mitch's exit helped us get rid of nutt hole.

1960'sHogFan

Maybe we should remember some of the crazy things we did when we were younger. Lucky for us we didn't have the entire state watching.

There is room for blame for everyone in this situation.

While Mitch was undefeated at Arkansas,  his stats were not that impressive.  But we should remember he was running a Nutts offense not what he had be promised.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: jmoneyhog on October 20, 2013, 08:54:09 pm
As far as Beck Campbell is concerned, Mike Irwin stated in the film that there was absolutely no evidence that she was the wild-eyed, overbearing little-league mom she was portrayed to be. In fact, Irwin said she had never been known to interfere at Springdale or at Arkansas before the parent meeting with Broyles. Mitch did say she got involved in securing his release and had a few choice words with Nutt when he resisted Mitch's request. It was portrayed as nothing more than any of us would do if our kid was caught in that meat grinder of a situation.

I can only imagine how most posters on here would have acted if their child went through what happened to MM. People listen to a bunch of BS that was spread by Nutt and company then act like they know what they are talking about.  I have met Beck several times. She is very intelligent, well spoken, and nothing like what has been spread about her.

pigture perfect

There is enough blame to pass around in that whole sorry situation. He made some terrible life decisions, and when we do that, even at a young age, we have to be accountable to our own self. You shouldn't look for sympathy or respect.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Murr

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on October 20, 2013, 09:15:23 pm
I can only imagine how most posters on here would have acted if their child went through what happened to MM. People listen to a bunch of BS that was spread by Nutt and company then act like they know what they are talking about.  I have met Beck several times. She is very intelligent, well spoken, and nothing like what has been spread about her.

Momma does not go crying to the AD when her lil' freshman doesn't get to throw the football on every play.

urkillnmesmalls

Mitch is probably a good guy.  I don't know him personally.  I did see him play in HS, and he had great mechanics, and great poise.  He was without a doubt one of the best AR HS QB's in the state's history. 

But...he was also throwing to without a doubt, the best collective receiving corps in the state's history.  If you went to ANY game that Springdale played, you could immediately pick out Damien Williams.  He was the most athletic looking kid on the field...by far. 

I've said it many times on here...separation can make an average QB look good, and a good QB look great.  Mitch looked unbeatable at Springdale, but remember the drop off in the All Star games when he faced better defenses and wasn't throwing to the WR's he grew up with?  Not stellar. 

If Mitch had stayed, I have no doubt that he would have done great things at the UA, if Nutt's ego hadn't squashed it.  But...the fact that he couldn't catch on in the NFL or even the CFL has to tell you something.  He never adjusted well to timing, and getting the ball into tight spaces. 

I would love to see him catch on somewhere...anywhere.  I just think his ship has sailed.   :(
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

(notOM)Rebel123

Can't wait for the next documentary:

"The Identity theft of the Arkansas fan"

jmoneyhog

Watch the documentary, then comment. Anything else is speculation, repeating rumor or just irresponsible blathering.

PonderinHog

Quote from: HogFanatic on October 20, 2013, 08:29:57 pm

I think he started one game at USC, played fairly well, and lost in a close game to Notre Dame.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: pigture perfect on October 20, 2013, 09:17:59 pm
There is enough blame to pass around in that whole sorry situation. He made some terrible life decisions, and when we do that, even at a young age, we have to be accountable to our own self. You shouldn't look for sympathy or respect.

Just what terrible life decisions did he make? He wanted to come to Arkansas then got screwed by Nutt. He then got a degree from USC and gets paid to play professional sports. Terrible? That was just plain silly.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: jmoneyhog on October 20, 2013, 09:23:06 pm
Watch the documentary, then comment. Anything else is speculation, repeating rumor or just irresponsible blathering.

Yeah, a documentary could never have a biased slant.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Murr on October 20, 2013, 09:19:59 pm
Momma does not go crying to the AD when her lil' freshman doesn't get to throw the football on every play.

That did not happen. If you don't believe me just read through Mike Irwin's posts on this board. You reek of NUTT.

menehune

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on October 20, 2013, 09:07:48 pm
idiotic statement

Those kids played together since Kiwanis in grade school.

Hand-picked since elementary school - that's rich!!!

Dark Helmet Hog

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on October 20, 2013, 09:27:38 pm
I'll try not to confuse your attempt at humor with obvious little man syndrome.

Right. We all know that pee-wee teams are never stacked by parents/coaches. ;)

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 20, 2013, 09:28:42 pm
Right. We all know that pee-wee teams are never stacked by parents/coaches. ;)

lol
:D

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Can't wait to see it.

Houston Nutt's being an ass AND lack of coaching ability cost us a legit shot at an NC.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

pigture perfect

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on October 20, 2013, 09:24:21 pm
Just what terrible life decisions did he make? He wanted to come to Arkansas then got screwed by Nutt. He then got a degree from USC and gets paid to play professional sports. Terrible? That was just plain silly.
He Chose to come to Arkansas, when the offense didn't fit his skill set. So he de-commits and chooses Florida, which very much fits his skill set, then recommits to the UA.

He makes a critical comment of his soon to be HC. He had an opportunity to  stop it from being published and didn't.

Look, I could go on, but why? I don't hate the kid. I just think he's trying to keep his name out there, so he can profit of of it.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: pigture perfect on October 20, 2013, 09:43:45 pm
He Chose to come to Arkansas, when the offense didn't fit his skill set. So he de-commits and chooses Florida, which very much fits his skill set, then recommits to the UA.

He makes a critical comment of his soon to be HC. He had an opportunity to  stop it from being published and didn't.

Look, I could go on, but why? I don't hate the kid. I just think he's trying to keep his name out there, so he can profit of of it.

When did he choose Florida?