Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike's a good coach

Started by elksnort, February 18, 2012, 09:58:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elksnort

and the record is there to prove it.

But to be great, he has to get the big time player(s) to win it all.

I know this seems over simplistic, but it is the case.

I was wrong to think that the majority of these current players could get it done at a big level.
I'm eager to learn about the new prospects.

3kgthog

Top rated players won't be coming here. It'll be done via a group of mid-level players playing as a group. BJ Young types being Hogs will be a rarity.

elksnort

You're right, B.J. Young needs some help.

Spider-Pig

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 18, 2012, 10:02:39 pm
Top rated players won't be coming here. It'll be done via a group of mid-level players playing as a group. BJ Young types being Hogs will be a rarity.

Bobby portis has a chance to be a 5*, and dederick lee will be a 4* in next class. Jacorey Williams is a top 150 player. Help is on the way

Mizzoufan1

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 18, 2012, 10:02:39 pm

And he didn't recruit BJ Young to Missouri, because he didn't fit his system.   I liked Mike, but he is not a good recruiter.  Every good player he got at Mizzou was a Missouri kid that we would have gotten anyway or had some family/friend relationship. 

870hogfan

Quote from: Mizzoufan1 on February 18, 2012, 10:49:00 pm
And he didn't recruit BJ Young to Missouri, because he didn't fit his system.   I liked Mike, but he is not a good recruiter.  Every good player he got at Mizzou was a Missouri kid that we would have gotten anyway or had some family/friend relationship.

Why are you on here again??

Spider-Pig

What factor did BJ's grades play in it? BJ was a grade risk and MA did have his last 2 best players from previous classes not qualify. Did Alden let him recruit him?

Mizzoufan1

Quote from: Spider-Pig on February 18, 2012, 10:52:10 pm
What factor did BJ's grades play in it? BJ was a grade risk and MA did have his last 2 best players from previous classes not qualify. Did Alden let him recruit him?

I actually heard that the players asked Mike not to offer him because he was such a jerk when he came in for a visit, I don't know about the grades.  BTW that is at best 3rd hand info, so I wouldn't dare claim it as fact.  I would think if Anderson really wanted him, he would have offered regardless.  Either way, it had to be kind of awkward when they met up at Arkansas.

Mizzoufan1

Quote from: 870hogfan on February 18, 2012, 10:51:13 pm

Why are you on here again??

Sorry, I forgot to get your permission to put an outside opinion on your message board.  I personally like a little outside perspective on our message board, especially if it was from the school of our new coach.  I don't always agree with it, but it is still interesting, as long as it isn't some moron talking crap.

3kgthog

I don't find it coincidental that you showed up tonight after a loss like this. You are here to gloat. Things would go a lot smoother for you if you'd just admit it.

Mizzoufan1

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 18, 2012, 11:20:55 pm
I don't find it coincidental that you showed up tonight after a loss like this. You are here to gloat. Things would go a lot smoother for you if you'd just admit it.

If I wanted to gloat I would just do it.  Honestly I was bored and was looking at your guys take on Anderson so far, and had an opinion and expressed it.  Thought it might be interesting for you guys to get an impression from someone that has watched him closely for the last four years.

HF#1

Quote from: Mizzoufan1 on February 18, 2012, 11:29:27 pm
If I wanted to gloat I would just do it.  Honestly I was bored and was looking at your guys take on Anderson so far, and had an opinion and expressed it.  Thought it might be interesting for you guys to get an impression from someone that has watched him closely for the last four years.

He's fine.  He has a young team combined with leftovers from the previous staff.  We got some good ones coming in next season.  Like any rebuild job, it takes time.  We are 17-10.  A couple more wins and most would call this season a success with what we had.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

lrcentral

The excuses will never end. I believe that we were hoodwinked into this hire because of the glory days of Nolan. Can we get a refund?

Uncommon

Quote from: hogfan#1 on February 18, 2012, 11:34:51 pm
He's fine.  He has a young team combined with leftovers from the previous staff.  We got some good ones coming in next season.  Like any rebuild job, it takes time.  We are 17-10.  A couple more wins and most would call this season a success with what we had.
+1.  Agree 100%.  I think the 17 wins alone with this team is a tremendous accomplishment.  I was only expecting about 13 wins this season.  I think we will continue to get better under Mike Anderson.  With a full roster, hopefully, we will have better depth and win more games.  My expectation for next year's team is 19 wins at least. 

HF#1

Quote from: BeastBack 50 on February 18, 2012, 11:43:16 pm
+1.  Agree 100%.  I think the 17 wins alone with this team is a tremendous accomplishment.  I was only expecting about 13 wins this season.  I think we will continue to get better under Mike Anderson.  With a full roster, hopefully, we will have better depth and win more games.  My expectation for next year's team is 19 wins at least. 

The most pessimistic posters were predicting 16 wins.  I thought we would flirt with 20 but I think 19 is a good aiming point.  That will probably get us in the NIT.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

kaiserhog

He left you in pretty good shape. You fail.

Uncommon

Quote from: hogfan#1 on February 18, 2012, 11:46:28 pm
The most pessimistic posters were predicting 16 wins.  I thought we would flirt with 20 but I think 19 is a good aiming point.  That will probably get us in the NIT.
Yeah I probably was the most pessimistic when it came to feeling good about the basketball team.  The lack of depth and whole new style of basketball didn't have me thinking highly of the Hogs this season.  I've been very surprised and pleased with our basketball team this year.  Next year, I think we will get at least 19 wins with a team that has better depth.  Although, I'm concerned about our lack of a front court.  We'll only have 4 true forwards/centers next season.

Mizzoufan1

Quote from: kaiserhog on February 18, 2012, 11:51:58 pm

You might look at the roster past the seniors, you fail. 

Spider-Pig

Quote from: Mizzoufan1 on February 19, 2012, 12:07:35 am
You might look at the roster past the seniors, you fail. 

Just allows you to get more Haith players to run his system

Mizzoufan1

Quote from: Spider-Pig on February 19, 2012, 12:10:46 am
Just allows you to get more Haith players to run his system

Haha, I'm sure every coach wants to fill a whole roster with his own players after one year.

Mizzoufan1

Quote from: kaiserhog on February 18, 2012, 11:51:58 pm

We literally have no freshman or sophomores on our roster that Anderson recruited.  Look it up.

Smithian

Quote from: Mizzoufan1 on February 19, 2012, 12:16:35 am
We literally have no freshman or sophomores on our roster that Anderson recruited.  Look it up.
You've already pointed out Mike Anderson is a bad recruiter. You must consider this a blessing.

HF#1

Yes, your new coach will have to both recruit and coach next season.  Mike will have to do the same thing here. 

Spider-Pig

Quote from: Mizzoufan1 on February 19, 2012, 12:12:00 am
Haha, I'm sure every coach wants to fill a whole roster with his own players after one year.

Still have pressey, Dixon, and bowers.  Not bad

Mizzoufan1

Sorry, flip is a soph, he is the only one.

Mizzoufan1

Quote from: Spider-Pig on February 19, 2012, 12:18:25 am
Still have pressey, Dixon, and bowers.  Not bad

Bowers would be gone too without the injury.  You can't excuse the poor shape Anderson left us in after this class.  I think that was a big part in the reason he left, he knew he was screwed after this season.

Mizzoufan1

Quote from: hogfan#1 on February 19, 2012, 12:17:56 am
Yes, your new coach will have to both recruit and coach next season.  Mike will have to do the same thing here.

Didn't he walk into a top 5 recruiting class at Arkansas?

Smithian

Quote from: Mizzoufan1 on February 19, 2012, 12:21:21 am
Bowers would be gone too without the injury.  You can't excuse the poor shape Anderson left us in after this class.  I think that was a big part in the reason he left, he knew he was screwed after this season.
Again, you have pointed out Mike Anderson can't recruit. You should be super pumped up he's gone.

I am sorry Anderson tore your program down. Imagine where you all could be right now if he never coached at Mizzou. Sorry about your struggles :(

Spider-Pig

Quote from: Mizzoufan1 on February 19, 2012, 12:21:21 am

That was in response to Haith's team next season.  CMA most likely would've signed a player last year (Porter) if he stayed anyways

Smithian

Quote from: Mizzoufan1 on February 19, 2012, 12:22:13 am
Didn't Frank Haith walk into a top 5 team at Missouri?

Mizzoufan1

Quote from: Smithian on February 19, 2012, 12:24:10 am
Didn't Frank Haith walk into a top 5 team at Missouri?

Nope, he walked into an underachieving team that lost in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament and then lost their best skilled big man to an acl tear.  He made them a top 5 team.

HF#1

Quote from: Mizzoufan1 on February 19, 2012, 12:22:13 am

Doesn't make what Mike is doing any less than what Frank will have to do next season. 

kaiserhog

Quote from: Mizzoufan1 on February 19, 2012, 12:27:35 am
Nope, he walked into an underachieving team that lost in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament and then lost their best skilled big man to an acl tear.  He made them a top 5 team.
Mizzou needs to stock up on KY Jelly in anticipation of their SEC opener against Georgia.

Smithian

Quote from: Mizzoufan1 on February 19, 2012, 12:27:35 am
Dang, you're stuck with just Ratliffe down low? Life must suck.

You can keep gloating all over this board. Eventually Frank Haith will get his own players in there and you'll see how "bad" Mike Anderson really is. Frank Haith didn't piss a drop at Miami, but maybe at the glorious Missouri program he can do something worth bragging about once he gets his own players.

Your comeuppance in football and basketball will be in full swing by your second or third year in the SEC. You guys are doing your damndest to troll the Razorback program and what goes around will come around.

Mizzoufan1

Quote from: hogfan#1 on February 19, 2012, 12:30:29 am
Doesn't make what Mike is doing any less than what Frank will have to do next season.

No, but you would hope that a coach that was hired away would leave a team in a better situation than one that was fired.

Mizzoufan1

Quote from: kaiserhog on February 19, 2012, 12:32:02 am
Mizzou needs to stock up on KY Jelly in anticipation of their SEC opener against Georgia.

Good grief, you just gave up that argument and went into football.

Smithian

Quote from: Mizzoufan1 on February 19, 2012, 12:32:59 am
No, but you would hope that a coach that was hired away would leave a team in a better situation than one that was fired.
Mike Anderson left your program with three consecutive NCAA tournament appearances.

John Pelphrey left with three consecutive non-tournament seasons.

To quote Bobby Petrino, now you're just making **** up.

870hogfan

Quote from: Smithian on February 19, 2012, 12:35:15 am
Mike Anderson left your program with three consecutive NCAA tournament appearances.

John Pelphrey left with three consecutive non-tournament seasons.

To quote Bobby Petrino, now you're just making **** up.

Also took Mizzou to an final 8.

Mizzoufan1

Quote from: Smithian on February 19, 2012, 12:32:19 am
Dang, you're stuck with just Ratliffe down low? Life must suck.

You can keep gloating all over this board. Eventually Frank Haith will get his own players in there and you'll see how "bad" Mike Anderson really is. Frank Haith didn't piss a drop at Miami, but maybe at the glorious Missouri program he can do something worth bragging about once he gets his own players.

Your comeuppance in football and basketball will be in full swing by your second or third year in the SEC. You guys are doing your damndest to troll the Razorback program and what goes around will come around.

oh my god.  I never said Anderson was bad.  He brought us back from the crap that was Quin Snyder.  I just showed the facts that Anderson left the cupboard bare.  Nothing but facts.

Smithian

Quote from: Mizzoufan1 on February 19, 2012, 12:37:40 am
oh my god.  I never said Anderson was bad.  He brought us back from the crap that was Quin Snyder.  I just showed the facts that Anderson left the cupboard bare.  Nothing but facts.
In this thread alone you've laid out you feel he is not a good recruiter and he underachieved with this current group of players.

So, you think he is a bad recruiter and apparently not good at getting teams to play to their potential.

What else is there to being a coach?

Mizzoufan1

Quote from: 870hogfan on February 19, 2012, 12:36:55 am
Also took Mizzou to an final 8.

And then quit recruiting.  I will always be grateful for MA bringing us back, but he left us high and dry. 

870hogfan

Quote from: Mizzoufan1 on February 19, 2012, 12:41:13 am
And then quit recruiting.  I will always be grateful for MA bringing us back, but he left us high and dry.

Didn't he recruit those players that is playing right now for Mizzou??

Mizzoufan1

Quote from: Smithian on February 19, 2012, 12:40:25 am
In this thread alone you've laid out you feel he is not a good recruiter and he underachieved with this current group of players.

So, you think he is a bad recruiter and apparently not good at getting teams to play to their potential.

What else is there to being a coach?

I think he runs a system that works well in a tournament setting and works in conference until the other smart coaches figure it out. 

Smithian

Quote from: Mizzoufan1 on February 19, 2012, 12:41:13 am
If he was planning on leaving you high and dry, why'd he turn down financially lucrative deals from Georgia, Memphis, and Oregon? And why did it take Arkansas a small fortune to pry him away from Mizzou?

Took us quite a bit to drag him away from a job he apparently quit at.

HF#1

Quote from: Mizzoufan1 on February 19, 2012, 12:32:59 am

That is your hope.  My hope is that he continues to build Arkansas to where we need to be.  I have a feeling that it wouldn't matter in what shape he left Mizzou, you would still have something to whine about.   Enjoy what you "little" you got. 

Mizzoufan1

Quote from: Smithian on February 19, 2012, 12:43:10 am
If he was planning on leaving you high and dry, why'd he turn down financially lucrative deals from Georgia, Memphis, and Oregon? And why did it take Arkansas a small fortune to pry him away from Mizzou?

Took us quite a bit to drag him away from a job he apparently quit at.

Did you watch out last 10 games last year?  I don't know what he planned, but I know the roster he left.

870hogfan

Quote from: Mizzoufan1 on February 19, 2012, 12:45:15 am
Did you watch out last 10 games last year?  I don't know what he planned, but I know the roster he left.

Yeah a top 5 team and your still over here crying about what Mike left you..

Mizzoufan1

Quote from: hogfan#1 on February 19, 2012, 12:43:21 am
That is your hope.  My hope is that he continues to build Arkansas to where we need to be.  I have a feeling that it wouldn't matter in what shape he left Mizzou, you would still have something to whine about.   Enjoy what you "little" you got.

Have fun with Nolan when inevitable criticisms of Anderson come.  I really can't believe the hogs touched that one with a ten foot pole.

Mizzoufan1

Quote from: 870hogfan on February 19, 2012, 12:46:24 am
Yeah a top 5 team and your still over here crying about what Mike left you..

It wouldn't be at top 5 team if he hadn't left.

870hogfan

Quote from: Mizzoufan1 on February 19, 2012, 12:49:33 am
It wouldn't be at top 5 team if he hadn't left.

Enjoy all your final 4's oh wait...