Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

There is one glaring difference between our def and Ala and LSU...

Started by island hog, November 25, 2011, 10:09:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

island hog

It's friigin swagger and attitude.  When Tyler is falling to the ground before getting hit and when Jarius short arms an easy catch because he is expecting to get smashed, that tells me that they are being intimidated.  We need somebody to step up on def and n the off line and say that they aren't going to put up with any crap...we appear soft to me, surprisingly.  Fully expected our def line to bring the wood this year and didn't expect our off line to be so weak.  Watched my replay of the game and was just stunned at how poor and soft our oline play was...disappointing.

jman

No, its the fact that our defensive players are not fundamentally sound players.  They over run every play, they arm tackle and cant get anyone on the ground.  They cant get off blocks and they are always out of position.  Oh, did I mention they cant tackle?

CallThemHawgs!

No, its the fact we are half their size.... and have half of the fundamentals.

If we had more swagger we would just be a bunch of Batman Carrols, give up a 30 yard pass then get in the dudes face and talk smack.

budcampbellfan

Also, Bama and LSU defenses are playing against our OL.  Our defense is playing against theirs. 
We don't have as many animals as they do in the trenches.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

pigzwillrise

It's a combination of things.. but they have more size, speed, and aggression...

We missed a few assignments and missed some tackles.. a lot of times when their runningback meets our defense, the RB falls forward.. when their defense hits, they knock the offense backwards

Bubba's Bruisers

Uh, no.  LSU and Bama defensive players are bigger, stronger, faster, more talented, and much better coached.  The swagger is simply a consequence of those facts.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

CallThemHawgs!

The swagger naturally comes after you have smacked around Oregon, West Virginia, beat Bama, and nearly killed multiple different people over the course of a season.

Our defense does not have swagger for a reason.

bpoecell

Quote from: jman on November 25, 2011, 10:13:02 pm
No, its the fact that our defensive players are not fundamentally sound players.  They over run every play, they arm tackle and cant get anyone on the ground.  They cant get off blocks and they are always out of position.  Oh, did I mention they cant tackle?

+1

online-with-swine

I thought someone posted the heights and weights of the LSU LB and DL compared to ours and we were actually bigger.  I say we are softer, slower and poor tacklers.

Danny J

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 25, 2011, 10:19:13 pm
Uh, no.  LSU and Bama defensive players are bigger, stronger, faster, more talented, and much better coached.  The swagger is simply a consequence of those facts.
Very well said.

They can also go deeper with their front 7 and force more 3 and outs. Tackling, out of position, over running plays as the previous poster mentioned. We are not fundamentally sound on defense and those teams are.

We need to get somebody here as a coordinator that will attract the same talent. Their 2nd string would be starters on most other teams in the country. Then add the coaching and scheme. As good as our offense is....their defenses are that much better. A better run game and better run/pass blocking wins that game because our defense is not on the field the entire game. I think both will be MUCH better next season and we will finally win against bama with davis being able to run behind a more experienced line. That opens up the offense a lot more and keeps defense on the bench resting and making adjustments.

Hog_Fink

size, skill, physicality

we are a finesse team. we are soft.

Spider-Pig

PLHawg

Corners that can cover, safeties that can instill fear in receivers running crossing patterns.  We have neither and it really showed today, our corners give a 10 yrd. cushion on almost every play.  The only way we're ever able to get consistent pressure on the opposing qb are blitz packages.  We've got a ways to go to get the defensive players needed to make a real run at a national championship.  Offensively I think we're already there, but our defense is SOFT.

IronHog

Quote from: island hog on November 25, 2011, 10:09:02 pm
  Watched my replay of the game and was just stunned at how poor and soft our oline play was...disappointing.

Why are people so surprised by the OL play?

OL recruiting did NOT go well BP's first two years and attrition has decimated what was left.  It is a patchwork unit if there every was one.......
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

CR7

Quote from: Spider-Pig on November 25, 2011, 10:39:42 pm
Size wise we're comparable with, if not bigger, than lsu.

And how'd that work out for us?

There's a difference between a fatty like Alfred Davis and a monster like Broderick Bunkley. Sure, they might both weigh the same. But Bunkley has a 6 pack, whereas Big Al has a frohawk.

Ps: yes I realize Broderick Bunkley didn't play at LSU or in the SEC, I'm just using him for comparative purposes.

Killens

Quote from: CR7 on November 26, 2011, 12:30:55 am

There's a difference between a fatty like Alfred Davis and a monster like Broderick Bunkley. Sure, they might both weigh the same. But Bunkley has a 6 pack, whereas Big Al has a frohawk.

Ps: yes I realize Broderick Bunkley didn't play at LSU or in the SEC, I'm just using him for comparative purposes.

+ 1
Wooooooooooooo Pig Sooooie!!!!!

urkillnmesmalls

I'm not sure what the answer is, but the truth is that for us to reach the Bama and LSU level that they have this year, we needed a better defense.  I think depth has a lot to do with that, and that may not happen overnight.  What can happen overnight is for us to be more sound fundamentally.  The tackling and assignment issues are getting old. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

CR7

Look at our defensive ends, then look at LSU's. It's mind blowing. We have 1 player the size of Jake Bequette...their entire defensive end corps are the size of Jake.

We have a dd jones, their DE's all are bigger than our biggest DT.

It's sad, pitiful.

nwarazfan

The difference is LSU and Bama's defenses are loaded with high round NFL picks and future NFL starters. 

We have a couple of upperclassmen who may get picked in the late rounds or will get free agent chances to make rosters. 

The talent difference in our defense vs theirs is huge.

With our recruiting base, it will be hard to close this gap.  Too many morons expect us to be able to when Saban handpicks the DB's he wants for his system.  He is a great secondary coach but he picks who he wants.  Not so much recruits.

Bamafan35652

"The quarterback carry is certainly the best carry and one that we have an opportunity that if you play coverage on the remaining players, the numbers are best to run the football." Les Miles

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: CR7 on November 26, 2011, 12:30:55 am

100% true

CR7

Quote from: Bamafan35652 on November 26, 2011, 12:46:41 am
Recruiting. That's the primary difference.

I agree, but high school football is the most glaring difference. Look how many starters on your team are from Alabama.

We have: Jake Bequette, Jerry Franklin. The only 2 full time starters on our defense from the state of Arkansas. Why? Because Arkansas cares more about spread offense and running hurry up no huddle than it does about developing and growing our players into something functional for the next level.

Perfect example? Our offense. Our QB, 3 receivers, TE, and RB are alllllll from Arkansas. A state that would, as I said before, rather work on spread offense and Gus Malzahn hurry up.

Bamafan35652

Quote from: CR7 on November 26, 2011, 12:53:23 am
I agree, but high school football is the most glaring difference. Look how many starters on your team are from Alabama.

We have: Jake Bequette, Jerry Franklin. The only 2 full time starters on our defense from the state of Arkansas. Why? Because Arkansas cares more about spread offense and running hurry up no huddle than it does about developing and growing our players into something functional for the next level.

Perfect example? Our offense. Our QB, 3 receivers, TE, and RB are alllllll from Arkansas. A state that would, as I said before, rather work on spread offense and Gus Malzahn hurry up.
That's pretty interesting.  I always thought HS football was HS football.  I'll admit that a spread offense is pretty rare in the Bama highschool system.  Usually, pretty traditional, fundamental football around here.  Sometimes I'll see it if a team is undersized and fast.  Is Texas and OK spread, as well?
"The quarterback carry is certainly the best carry and one that we have an opportunity that if you play coverage on the remaining players, the numbers are best to run the football." Les Miles

CR7

Quote from: Bamafan35652 on November 26, 2011, 01:01:08 am
That's pretty interesting.  I always thought HS football was HS football.  I'll admit that a spread offense is pretty rare in the Bama highschool system.  Usually, pretty traditional, fundamental football around here.  Sometimes I'll see it if a team is undersized and fast.  Is Texas and OK spread, as well?

Texas is everything. Arkansas is Shotgun, even on the goal line. The poor schools run dead T and wing T. But it isn't ace, I, strong I, etc etc. it's all spinner back type crap.

I know Dont'a, seen him a bunch in person, he is a monster. Bigger than ANYBODY on our entire 3 deep defense at any position. Look at how big he was in high school. 6 ft: played RB. 6'2: played LB. 6'4: played defensive end.

At no point did his coach say "his big so he needs to play offense only." That's what Arkansas High School coaches do to our players.

IronHog

Quote from: CR7 on November 26, 2011, 12:53:23 am

It is partially a population problem.......there simply are not enough linebacker sized kids in the state.  The few that are there end up on offense.....

I bet Chris Gragg would be a monster outside linebacker......too bad there is only one of him....

El Puerco

Quote from: island hog on November 25, 2011, 10:09:02 pm
It's friigin swagger and attitude.  When Tyler is falling to the ground before getting hit and when Jarius short arms an easy catch because he is expecting to get smashed, that tells me that they are being intimidated.  We need somebody to step up on def and n the off line and say that they aren't going to put up with any crap...we appear soft to me, surprisingly.  Fully expected our def line to bring the wood this year and didn't expect our off line to be so weak.  Watched my replay of the game and was just stunned at how poor and soft our oline play was...disappointing.

Yeah....talent is the glaring difference but you make a good point with the swagger.

A lot of our guys (even guys who have been around) have not done well on the big stage away from home (heck, most even played like crap on the crummy little stages away from home)
A lot of that is attitude. How do you respond when a talented secondary punches the crap out of you, mauls you, and repeatedly yanks your jersey halfway off?  Are you going to fight back, unintimidated, and deliver both a physical message and a spoken message?  "GET YOUR MOTHER _________ HANDS OFF ME!"....or are you going to fold, run to the refs looking for a flag, and catch a ball or two all day?

Hawg Balling

Quote from: jman on November 25, 2011, 10:13:02 pm

This.  I couldn't get over how tough it was for our defensive players to get their ball carriers on the ground. Whether it was Jefferson, the backs, or the receivers, our tacklers had a *very* difficult time bringing them down, which was constantly leading to second chance yards.  You can sometimes compensate for lack of strength with sound fundamentals, or vice versa, but we were knee-capped on both. 

kclvr

To quote one of LSU oline guys he said " we could see it in their eyes that they wanted us to quit running the ball early in the 4th quarter.

Cure

You're correct, this team is pretty soft. No headhunters on that defense.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

jamie72921

It amazes me what some people see.

We don't have the depth of athletes LSU has. It's that simple.

It isn't fundamentals. Did you not watch these same "fundamentally sound" tacklers getting blown away just last season?

Their starting defensive end is as fast as Dennis Johnson. That is not an exaggeration. They have a DE that runs a 4.4/ 40 yard dash. What do Wright and Bequette run?

Give it time people. We get better every year despite all the whining to the contrary. The coaching staff is building a program, not a team, and bit the bullet to redshirt some guys that could have added some depth this season in hopes that it will add up to improved play in a couple of seasons.
Bless your heart

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Cure on November 26, 2011, 05:10:08 pm
You're correct, this team is pretty soft. No headhunters on that defense.

And an OL that is satisfied with letting the QB get hammered all year, and that isn't able or willing to open holes for our RB's, and isn't humiliated about finishing most every play sitting or lying on their backs.  9 straight 3 and Outs against TAMU!!!.  Hello, anyone see a problem here that has ZILCH to do with the Defense (which I agree has it's own set of problems).

IronHog

Quote from: kclvr on November 26, 2011, 05:05:46 pm
To quote one of LSU oline guys he said " we could see it in their eyes that they wanted us to quit running the ball early in the 4th quarter.

People need to remember that Arkansas did basically the exact same thing to these same LSU players last year.

Score wasn't as bad, but LSU was done and both lines had been defeated by the end of the 4th quarter........

TOM "tbw1"

It is amazing that people who have never coached football have all the answers.  Why are you folks not a BCS school making money.

If you have two athletes playing hard the more talented player will do better almost all the time.

There is no easy solution to that problem.  If it was everyone would solve it.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

IronHog

Quote from: tbw1 on November 26, 2011, 07:10:30 pm
It is amazing that people who have never coached football have all the answers.  Why are you folks not a BCS school making money.

If you have two athletes playing hard the more talented player will do better almost all the time.

There is no easy solution to that problem.  If it was everyone would solve it.

Building OL and DL is no secret.....but it is hard work.

And ya'll stop acting like LSU has this type line play every year.......they have struggled with having good, but not elite line play for the past several years.....

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: IronHog on November 26, 2011, 07:13:32 pm

Building OL and DL is no secret.....but it is hard work.

And ya'll stop acting like LSU has this type line play every year.......they have struggled with having good, but not elite line play for the past several years.....

I think it all comes back to the quote of Coach Knight:  Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

IronHog

Quote from: tbw1 on November 26, 2011, 07:18:17 pm
I think it all comes back to the quote of Coach Knight:  Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.

From where I sit the Hog coaching staff prepares like **** to win every game........  JFB/GOB mismangement had turned Hog football into an event for the sake of an event.

Arkansas lost at Bama and LSU......so would every other team in the nation this year.

IronHog

Quote from: CR7 on November 26, 2011, 12:56:28 am
For further proof...

Big Al

And Brodrick Bunkley

In Al's defense he has worked hard to get in better shape since that picture was taken.......he is pretty hard to move off the line at this point in his career.

As far as the other guy it isn't normal for a humans neck to stick out past his ears........