Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MITCH MUSTAIN THREAD - no MM bashing allowed!

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, May 31, 2005, 06:59:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JDHogg

Quote from: Igor Stravinsky on December 07, 2005, 11:45:08 am
Anyone know if he will graduate at the end of this fall or next spring? Thanks.

i believe Mike Irwin said yesterday that he will graduate at end of Dec term.
"That's why you want something a little different", says Nutt entering his 9th season on the hill.
"You look at Florida last year," Nutt says.  "They struggled with their offense because of change...overhaul change.  Change is hard."

Quoted from August 2006 Hootens's Arkansas Football.

wawa111

Ok, but Tee Martin won a national championship, and Shuler was close I believe...How many Arkansas QB's can say that...Come on  be forreal...I am a hog fan just like the rest but geezz guys...have some common sense. we are not on the same level as Mustains other options. We can be but we aren't right now...Some of you guys make me wonder what in the crap goes through your minds...some of you are just stupid!

Franchise_Hog

Does anybody know what religion he is or where he goes to church? 

Because if it's Mass on Sunday, the Golden Dome and Touchdown Jesus have powers from above.

Not all kids, but most who grow up Catholic have a special love for ND.  It's the only school that could draw a kid away from his backyard.

Just a theory....someone needs to find out.

HaWg 10

Something tells me religion plays ZERO part in MM deciding where to go play ball.. he just don't want to play for a school that settles for mediocrity... easy enough
"This product that was on TV was available for four easy payments of $19.95. I would like a product that was available for three easy payments and one complicated payment. We can't tell you which payment it is, but one of these payments is going to be hard." 

"I'd like to see a forklift lift a crate of forks. It'd be so damn literal. "Hey, you're using that machine to its exact purpose!"

"Me and my friends did acid in the woods, 'cause there was much less chance of running into an authority figure. But we ran into a bear. And that is way more of a buzz kill. One of my friends was raising his right hand and swearing to prevent forest fires. Later, he came up to me and said, "Mitchell. Smokey is way more intense in person."

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

Franchise_Hog

If you polled the Catholic students down at Little Rock Catholic with this question," If you could be the starting QB at any college or university, which one would it be?"

The majority of the responses would Notre Dame, probably followed by Arkansas 

Trust me.  I know from experience.

HaWg 10

Are you telling me that the majority of football players from ND are going to be Catholic? I find that to be very hard to believe. They go to ND because it is a good school to play football at.  When the coaches at ND go out and recruit, i doubt there list of qualities they are looking for is going to have " of the Catholic religion " on it.
1. Football skills
2: Football knowledge
3: Catholic
4. Football Awareness
5. Understands role on team
6. Goes to mass on sundays
7. Is dedicated to making himself and the team better..
"This product that was on TV was available for four easy payments of $19.95. I would like a product that was available for three easy payments and one complicated payment. We can't tell you which payment it is, but one of these payments is going to be hard." 

"I'd like to see a forklift lift a crate of forks. It'd be so damn literal. "Hey, you're using that machine to its exact purpose!"

"Me and my friends did acid in the woods, 'cause there was much less chance of running into an authority figure. But we ran into a bear. And that is way more of a buzz kill. One of my friends was raising his right hand and swearing to prevent forest fires. Later, he came up to me and said, "Mitchell. Smokey is way more intense in person."

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

Franchise_Hog

Of course the coaches at ND recruit the best players and NO, they don't care what religion a kid is.

Pay attention, when did I ever say being Catholic was a criteria for the ND football staff recruiting a kid?

It matters for the student athlete, not the program....read the above again.

HaWg 10

it still shouldn't make a hill of beans of difference what religion they are, when is the last time that someone out of cathloic went to a major catholic school to play sports?  if its that important they should be in priesthood school, not playing football.

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

Franchise_Hog

Dude, what part about "most" catholic kids would want to play for ND do you not understand?

If and only if a catholic kid is good enough to go anywhere in the country to play football, ND becomes a factor.  That's all I'm saying. 

Mustain could go anywhere with his talent....if and only if he's catholic, ND becomes a bigger factor.

Bustahog

I wish MM would come but don't blame him for looking at his options.  He may have felt the Hill for the best place for him at the beginning of the year but things change.  He has to do what's best for him and his future and it looks like AR is not the place (who could blame the kid).  Would you want your kid to play for Nutt with the possibility to blow his pro career just because you love the Helment?

HaWg 10

Quote from: Franchise_Hog on December 07, 2005, 01:40:11 pm
Dude, what part about "most" catholic kids would want to play for ND do you not understand?

If and only if a catholic kid is good enough to go anywhere in the country to play football, ND becomes a factor. That's all I'm saying.

Mustain could go anywhere with his talent....if and only if he's catholic, ND becomes a bigger factor.

Quote from: Rudy on December 07, 2005, 01:39:56 pm
He is not Catholic.

GO IRISH!!!

Talk to Rudy about it, he seems interested

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

PennHOG

Man, what that guy said in presenting that certificate!  MM must feel like the entire state is looking at him.  I think we all are going to run him off with comments like that.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

TechHawg

He needs to realize that.  He will let his entire state down if he goes elsewhere, and will not be welcomed back.  That's just the nature of the beast and that's the way I feel.  If he goes to Notre Dame, even after Weiss already said that he didn't really want him with the other 2 QBs they've got, then I hope he never sees the field.

Michaelt

Quote from: TechHawg on December 07, 2005, 02:36:15 pm
He needs to realize that. He will let his entire state down if he goes elsewhere, and will not be welcomed back. That's just the nature of the beast and that's the way I feel. If he goes to Notre Dame, even after Weiss already said that he didn't really want him with the other 2 QBs they've got, then I hope he never sees the field.

Kind of reminds me of the recruiting flack with Keith Jackson. That was a mess as well and caused a lot of dissention among fans.
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: ballhog24 on December 07, 2005, 02:52:11 pm
He needs to realize that. He will let his entire state down if he goes elsewhere, and will not be welcomed back. That's just the nature of the beast and that's the way I feel. If he goes to Notre Dame, even after Weiss already said that he didn't really want him with the other 2 QBs they've got, then I hope he never sees the field.

Kind of reminds me of the recruiting flack with Keith Jackson. That was a mess as well and caused a lot of dissention among fans.

If not for Dearrius Howard & Shawn Andrews coming in the same class the Cedric Houston situation would have been just as bad.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

THROWITDEEP

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on December 07, 2005, 02:56:59 pm
Quote from: ballhog24 on December 07, 2005, 02:52:11 pm

That is a good point.

If not for Dearrius Howard & Shawn Andrews coming in the same class the Cedric Houston situation would have been just as bad.

That is a good point.

hogsanity

It is because of the low # of High Profile recruits the state produces.  We freak when a slightly above avg RB leaves, like C Houston.  He had a good career at TN, but nothing spectacular.  Do you think people in TX or LA freak out when a big time RB leaves? 

And i ma not syaing that Ar does not produce good athletes, just not that many of them, so it is very noticable when one leaves, much less a guy like MM.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

wawa111

WOW...If people would actually not like a kid because he is trying to make the best for himself, you really have some issues...that is rediculous...he is a kid trying to make a decision that could effect the rest of his life...give me a break...if he wants to go to Notre Dame then let it be, I want him to be a HOG, but is it really that serious, to say he would have to leave and never come back...I bet if he makes millions in the league then you same people will be on here wondering why he doesn't give back to where he is from...it will probably be because of idiots like you...let the kid make his choice...notice i said his choice, not mine yours or anyone else's...we should be proud that a kid from arkansas is a top notch recruit...just settle down and let him do his thing...

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on June 02, 2005, 01:58:53 pm
Quote from: CarolinaHog1176 on June 02, 2005, 09:29:43 am
I don't see Mustain going to Iowa as mentioned in that link... mostly because they just signed J. Christensen last year. I'm holding out hope that he commits to the HOGS, but he's got a very tough decision to make in the next month.

I suspect he holds off a little bit more and figures out who is really desperate to have him.  Deciding soon would take pressure off his senior year, but what if the program you committ to then lines up 3 other QB's, or the head coach gets sacked, or your program of choice goes 3-8. 

Correction, 4-7   ;D

Broken Trigger

December 07, 2005, 06:40:06 pm #121 Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 07:17:58 pm by RazorbackRick
Quote from: Franchise_Hog on December 07, 2005, 01:29:52 pm
Of course the coaches at ND recruit the best players and NO, they don't care what religion a kid is.

Pay attention, when did I ever say being Catholic was a criteria for the ND football staff recruiting a kid?

You guys are right with what you are saying about this subject, but let me approach it this way.   Notre Dame does not give a hill of beans what religion a kid is if he is a great football player.  They will recruit him for his skill.  However, if you look across the country at top recruits that happen to be Catholic, it always seems to be a huge factor that Notre Dame has come calling.  The recruit probably feels religious responsibility to be there, and believe me i am sure the coaches are gonna try to find out what religion a blue chip recruit is and use it to recruit them.  I can't imagine myself if i were being recruited hard, being anything but a Hog, because i bleed Razorback red.  The only thing that might change that for me is if i were being recruited by  Baptist schools, because i am a Baptist.  Other than that  i would a Razorback, and maybe even over the Baptist schools, but i would strongly consider all options.  I said all that to merely state that i can't understand where a Catholic kid would really consider ND.  Of course, i don't have a clue what denomination Mitch is, or if that would even be a factor to him.

Golfer

Quote from: RazorbackRick on December 07, 2005, 06:40:06 pm

You guys are right with what you are saying about this subject, but let me approach it this way. Notre Dame does not give a hill of beans what religion a kid is if he is a great football player. They will recruit him for his skill. However, if you look across the country at top recruits that happen to be Catholic, it always seems to be a huge factor that Notre Dame has come calling. The recruit probably feels religious responsibility to be there, and believe me i am sure the coaches are gonna try to find out what religion a blue chip recruit is and use it to recruit them. I can't imagine myself if i were being recruited hard, being anything but a Hog, because i bleed Razorback red. The only thing that might change that for me is if i were being recruited by Baptist schools, because i am a Baptist. Other than that i would a Razorback, and maybe even over the Baptist schools, but i would strongly consider all options. I said all that to merely state that i can't understand where a Catholic kid would really consider ND. Of course, i don't have a clue what denomination Mitch is, or if that would even be a factor to him.

He is Baptist. I read where he was a youth leader at First Baptist Church in Springdale.

Broken Trigger

Quote from: Golfer on December 07, 2005, 07:09:20 pm
Quote from: RazorbackRick on December 07, 2005, 06:40:06 pm

You guys are right with what you are saying about this subject, but let me approach it this way. Notre Dame does not give a hill of beans what religion a kid is if he is a great football player. They will recruit him for his skill. However, if you look across the country at top recruits that happen to be Catholic, it always seems to be a huge factor that Notre Dame has come calling. The recruit probably feels religious responsibility to be there, and believe me i am sure the coaches are gonna try to find out what religion a blue chip recruit is and use it to recruit them. I can't imagine myself if i were being recruited hard, being anything but a Hog, because i bleed Razorback red. The only thing that might change that for me is if i were being recruited by Baptist schools, because i am a Baptist. Other than that i would a Razorback, and maybe even over the Baptist schools, but i would strongly consider all options. I said all that to merely state that i can't understand where a Catholic kid would really consider ND. Of course, i don't have a clue what denomination Mitch is, or if that would even be a factor to him.

He is Baptist. I read where he was a youth leader at First Baptist Church in Springdale.

So much for any Catholic ties to Notre Dame then.

CorningHog

I agree Mike on the McFadden and Casey Dick mention about needing these type players!

I will not judge Mitch until signing day.  We have to have hope that he will make the right choice and rescue the program from those who are allowing the poor decisions up top.  Maybe, just maybe, the QB that has the golden arm will correct this mess.
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

CorningHog

BizzaroWorldHog,

Just wanted you to read this, since you are a new poster.  I think you will notice that Mitch picked Arkansas in August, knowing full well everything about the past records at Arkansas and who was going to coach him.  When Wittke was let go, and Gus Malzahn hired as OC he was left wondering for sure who his position coach would be.  I think he wants to know that, since he will be working closely with this person for at least 3 or 4 years.  That is why he is looking at his options and of course how 2005 played out in the end.  I am sure there may be more stuff that caused Mitch to rethink his options, but in the end he will stick with his original pick and we can expect that down the road Arkansas fans will be very happy he did!

GO HOGS!

Quote from: CorningHog on June 03, 2005, 02:58:27 pm
Hey BO & MIKE IRWIN,

You mentioned on both your show and Chucks last night why should Mustain play at Arkansas versus other programs!

That's easy.  Matt Jones drafted at #21!  Attendance figures at all SEC schools and also the SEC being the TOP by a long ways, over a Million fans more than the BIG TEN!  Playing against USC next year in Fayetteville, all the great games against SEC teams every year and of course plenty of TV games!

IF Mitch isn't worried about competition and wants to make HIS mark on a program, then Arkansas is IT!!!!!!!!!!

We have not had a QB that has full understanding of the offense PLUSSSSS.........  the tools to execute it!

You put Marcus Monk and Co.... catching his throws and add in a nice running game by the Negative speed man, McFadden and Jones plus Hillis!  Why would he seriously consider any one else!

Michigan.........cold, cold, and more cold.... yeah, great tradition and all but he can get to the NFL just as easy at Arkansas.
TEXAS..... are you kidding, that is like drinking your own puke....  Nothing against the old burnt orange but if he likes to see whining at its finest and unrealistic expectations plus just your usual 10 and 1 season against the cupcakes but always losing to OU and the other tough competition, go ahead.... Big 12 outside of Texas, OU and Nebraska (in the past) you really don't have much excitement there.  Very poor compared to SEC and look at the attendance figures.  Most of the Big 12 programs don't stack up even close to the SEC!
Miami, FL..... this is the only one that even compares to the Razorbacks and only because of all the NFL QB's that have gone on to glory from the Hurricanes.  I know the women are beautiful in South Beach and the beaches as well as the limelight and all at a city like Miami but so is the crime!  I have been to Miami and the fast paced, greedy and stuck up people who love their own bodies and all are very apparent there.  Take Mitch around town a lot and just the feel of Miami and his parents will object to that.  Plus the trouble they can easily get involved in there.

To me, Mitch can write his own ticket and since the facilities, the ease of his lifelong friends to see him play and rescue the home team Razorbacks and the lure of competing against the SEC each week should easily be able to outweigh the stuck up, snooty tooty programs like Texas and Michigan.  The traditions are strong and I agree the fun of recruiting would be to go visit Michigan and Miami, FL but for the life of me I can't see Texas that much.  Especially since the competition is better at Arkansas than both Michigan, Miami and Texas.  Imagine Mustain winning games against Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee (2006) twice, LSU, South Carolina (Spurrier) and of course the chance to beat Southern California!!!!! 

Mitch would easily be the fan favorite at Arkansas for all time if he can come in and execute a passing game like he is being billed athletically to be able to do.  It is a huge amount of pressure for Mitch Mustain to be expected to actually carry Arkansas to the promised land.  But you know if he DOES do it with the help of all the other players and recruits he may be able to convince to join him, then Arkansas may be poised to really start competing with the elite of the SEC.

ONE NOTE:

I am in Real Estate and about 2 years ago took a gentleman out to look at property and lake lots in Bella Vista.  He was a very astute football and college sports fan.  The guy had been to games at USC, UCLA, Michigan, and many of the best stadiums in the country.  He and I started talking about NW Arkansas and the Razorbacks.  He said he was totally blown away with the facilities at Arkansas.  He knew many people in Southern California since he lived near Beverly Hills and knew people with the LA Dodgers.  This guy was probably in his late 60's and had been a very successful business man.  His son works as a vendor to WalMart.  The most interesting statement he made was that Arkansas' football stadium and facilities were 2nd to NO ONE!  He said it looked more like the new NFL stadiums.  He made the statement that after viewing Bud Walton and Baum Stadium as well as the Track center, that there was no other college that could touch Arkansas.  I have been to Tennessee's Neyland stadium and to the Texas game 2 years ago and I can assure you that I saw first hand that he was right at least in comparison to those two.  You add in playing the Alabama's, Georgia's, Auburn, LSU and Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina and all the others.....heck...attendance and the hoopla in the way the SEC teams and fans rally around their teams...... nothing like it in the U.S.!!!!!!!!!!  If I was Mitch I would go ahead and commit to Houston Dale and begin rallying all the other recruits so that next year when Tennessee, USC and Alabama and others come to Fayetteville that I would be poised to either be the QB or get significant playing time.  IF Malzahn comes too!  GO HOGS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I think it would be awesome!

SO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  Let Mitch talk to me.... I can explain it very simply......

Oh, the job market and resulting priviledges that come with ex-Razorbacks also is a big perk!

"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"