Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Baseball Attendance on Track to Top 2 Million This Year

Started by Drewhog, April 06, 2010, 05:26:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Drewhog

http://www.secsports.com/news/sec-baseball-tops-1-million.aspx

It's frustrating that we are that far behind LSU  >:(  I was under the impression that we could fit more in our park than they can.  I guess the latitude of BR helps their average attendance, considering it gets warm much earlier.  I can't help but think that their numbers are inflated a bit.  Baum is still much nicer than the new Alex Box, IMO.

99toLife

Quote from: Drewhog on April 06, 2010, 05:26:10 pm

It's frustrating that we are that far behind LSU  >:(  I was under the impression that we could fit more in our park than they can.  I guess the latitude of BR helps their average attendance, considering it gets warm much earlier.  I can't help but think that their numbers are inflated a bit.  Baum is still much nicer than the new Alex Box, IMO.

LSU numbers are not inflated they draw more than Arkansas...so what...Arkansas draws more than probably 95% + of all college teams and it may be higher than that!...   we have an awesome fanbase that attends games... go to KU, MU, OU Tenn anywhere...it's a joke...

WyomingTiger8888

Last year LSU had 435,000 and the second closest i believe was 285 or 325 and that was AR. LSU has lead the nation in attendence for the last 14 years. LSU and AR are always at the top in the SEC and nobody comes close to our schools year in and out.

hogfan98

Ole Miss draws pretty well also.  And MSU when they're good.

RAF

I've got a feeling those numbers are reported attendance based on tickets sold, not actual attendance.  If not, feel free to correct me.  LSU's CWS, combined with the fact that all the Tiger's biggest games have been at home and about half of Arkansas' biggest games have been on the road, will produce results like that.  Imagine if the LSU series had been in Fayetteville.  That would be about a swing of about 70,000, and the difference wouldn't be so extreme.
LSU fans like to claim that they've led the country in attendance for 14 years straight, but I know for a fact that Arkansas led the nation in either reported or actual attendance (I'm not sure which, but I've got a feeling it's actual) in 2007.

Drewhog

LSU also has more home games than Arkansas by several if I'm not mistaken.  That's why I don't put stock into actual attendance.  It's the average # that is frustrating.

99toLife

LSU sells more Tickets and More people actually go to the games...get over it..

Go somewhere else to watch a college game... might be 1,000 people there and that's if they are an awesome Baseball team...  get a grip ..Hog fans rock in baseball... forget LSU

Drewhog

Dude, I am over it.  I go to plenty of games.  We've had seats behind home plate in Hog Heaven for years.  No need to get hostile.  I just think we are better than LSU overall (even though they have had more success in the past, they are still nasty, dirty, smelly cajuns).  We have the CAPABILITY to draw more on AVERAGE considering we have a bigger, nicer ballpark.

3kgthog

LSU always has at least 5-10 more home games than we do. That tends to help the average a wee bit.

99toLife

Quote from: Drewhog on April 06, 2010, 06:36:15 pm
Dude, I am over it.  I go to plenty of games.  We've had seats behind home plate in Hog Heaven for years.  No need to get hostile.  I just think we are better than LSU overall (even though they have had more success in the past, they are still nasty, dirty, smelly cajuns).  We have the CAPABILITY to draw more on AVERAGE considering we have a bigger, nicer ballpark.

This is part of the problem, just because you think you are better doesn't make it so.. until more people show up at Baum than at LSU your rantings mean nothing!

99toLife

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 06, 2010, 06:36:47 pm
LSU always has at least 5-10 more home games than we do. That tends to help the average a wee bit.

How so.. they get more people at more games..  seems to me more games could hurt their Average!

omahawg#17

It's just warmer in BR.. Look at how much more we have in attendance when its warm here. For instance look at the attendance we had on Saturday against UK and then look at what LSU had for the UGA game on Saturday. People don't like the cold, but once it's warm enough, Arkansas dominates in attendance, and thats a fact.
Speak softly and carry a big stick.

spe450

Those are tickets sold I believe.  There is no way there was over 11k for any game in the hog series at baton rouge.  I think the max was 6-7k.

99toLife

Quote from: spe450 on April 06, 2010, 06:55:44 pm
Those are tickets sold I believe.  There is no way there was over 11k for any game in the hog series at baton rouge.  I think the max was 6-7k.
Then why don't more Arkansas Fans just buy tickets and not go... ?

spe450

Quote from: 99toLife on April 06, 2010, 06:57:49 pm
Then why don't more Arkansas Fans just buy tickets and not go... ?

Why are you askin me?  Don't quite understand your point.

RAF

Quote from: spe450 on April 06, 2010, 06:55:44 pm
That doesn't sound right.  One of our Kentucky games had an actual attendance of ~8000, I think, so it's hard for me to believe that LSU can't pull more than 6 or 7k with a top-15 divisional rival in town.

razorback44

Isn't the new Box bigger than Baum?

I could be wrong here but I thought its capacity was slightly bigger.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

spe450

Quote from: dxf04 on April 06, 2010, 07:03:09 pm
That doesn't sound right.  One of our Kentucky games had an actual attendance of ~8000, I think, so it's hard for me to believe that LSU can't pull more than 6 or 7k with a top-15 divisional rival in town.
Well, it is right.  I was there. 

It was a crappy weekend as far as weather is concerned.  Cooler than usual and rain.

spe450

Quote from: razorback44 on April 06, 2010, 07:04:09 pm
Isn't the new Box bigger than Baum?

I could be wrong here but I thought its capacity was slightly bigger.
It does hold more.  They have bleachers that extend from about 3rd base to the foul pole.  There are two sections of bleachers behind left and right field.

Edit:  The seating capacity is 10,150 but they sell a lot of standing room only tickets. 

99toLife

Quote from: spe450 on April 06, 2010, 07:02:27 pm
Why are you askin me?  Don't quite understand your point.

Because you said their attendance was probably based on Tickets sold and not on actual people at the game...  LSU supports their baseball team much better than Arkansas does by purchasing tickets....

spe450

The actual attendance the 19th was 7932, compared to the 11,225 claimed on the SEC sports page.

spe450

Quote from: 99toLife on April 06, 2010, 07:12:03 pm
Because you said their attendance was probably based on Tickets sold and not on actual people at the game...  LSU supports their baseball team much better than Arkansas does by purchasing tickets....
I never argued that point.

Clint Alan

Quote from: 99toLife on April 06, 2010, 06:42:21 pm
How so.. they get more people at more games..  seems to me more games could hurt their Average!

LSU does not leave Baton Rouge for out of conference games. LSU has played only 2 maybe 3 times on the road this year.
"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

99toLife

Quote from: spe450 on April 06, 2010, 07:18:32 pm
I never argued that point.

If more Hogs would buy tickets or take their lazy butts to the games, then LSU and their numbers would mean nothing, ...I guess they support their Baseball Tigers better than we support our Hogs... live with it or GO TO THE GAMES!

Otherwise ...shut up and sit in the back seat!

Clint Alan

Quote from: 99toLife on April 06, 2010, 08:11:48 pm
If more Hogs would buy tickets or take their lazy butts to the games, then LSU and their numbers would mean nothing, ...I guess they support their Baseball Tigers better than we support our Hogs... live with it or GO TO THE GAMES!

I think you should just shut up
"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

hound dog

LSU reports tickets sold where Hogs report actual attendance  Tiger go home

99toLife

Quote from: rubmyHOG on April 06, 2010, 08:22:14 pm
I think you should just shut up

I have Hog Baseball tickets and the fan support here is awesome, to bitch and moan that LSU numbers are better or are bogus is like little girls in jr high school..  live with it , get over it or go to the games!

Clint Alan

Quote from: 99toLife on April 06, 2010, 08:37:00 pm
I have Hog Baseball tickets and the fan support here is awesome, to bitch and moan that LSU numbers are better or are bogus is like little girls in jr high school..  live with it , get over it or go to the games!

The fact you ignore how many home games they play in a season, shows you should shut up.

People have tried to point that out to you countless times in this thread, yet you ignore it.

It is a fact that LSU did not play a road game this year, until they traveled to TN a week ago.

Michael HogDonald

Quote from: Drewhog on April 06, 2010, 05:26:10 pm

I live in Baton Rouge and graduated from LSU last spring and it has been practically impossible to get tickets since they moved into the new Box. Those numbers are not inflated; it's packed every game.

99toLife

Quote from: rubmyHOG on April 06, 2010, 08:45:54 pm
The fact you ignore how many home games they play in a season, shows you should shut up.

People have tried to point that out to you countless times in this thread, yet you ignore it.

It is a fact that LSU did not play a road game this year, until they traveled to TN a week ago.

If you play 2 home games or 3000 home games , if you avg more fans per game it means more fans show up to the games made available to them... what do you NOT UNDERSTAND!

Tammany Tom

Quote from: hound dog on April 06, 2010, 08:36:53 pm
LSU reports tickets sold where Hogs report actual attendance  Tiger go home

Every Team reports tickets sold. All Attendance figures are based on tickets sold. LSU still dominates college baseball attendance when measuring actual attendance.

LSU has led the Nation in Attendance 17 out of the last 18 years.

LSU charges far more than any other college programs for baseball tickets. Suites at Alex Box sell for $40,000 per season compared to most programs that charge $7500 to $15,000 per suite. Seats behind Home Plate at Alex Box require a donation of over $1000 per seat per year and season tickets are $2350 per seat. Season tickets along the base lines require a donation of $350 per seat per year and season tickets in the outfield bleachers require a $50 donation per seat. LSU sells over 9000 season tickets, which is far more than any other program, even at these prices.

Quote from: rubmyHOG on April 06, 2010, 08:45:54 pm

Why should LSU play OOC games outside of Alex Box? There is no viable reason. NONE. LSU did not play a single OOC game outside of Louisiana last year until the CWS in Omaha and won the National Championship.

Baseball is a major cash cow for LSU whereas it is a major expense for most college programs.

Clint Alan

Quote from: 99toLife on April 06, 2010, 09:11:16 pm
If you play 2 home games or 3000 home games , if you avg more fans per game it means more fans show up to the games made available to them... what do you NOT UNDERSTAND!

Is this thread not about total attendance?

"SEC Baseball attendance on pace to top 2 million"

Where does it say anything about average attendance?

Arkansas led the nation in 2007 in average attendance figures, but LSU still led in attendance because of more home games.

Get on topic

Tammany Tom

Quote from: rubmyHOG on April 06, 2010, 09:56:20 pm
Arkansas led the nation in 2007 in average attendance figures, but LSU still led in attendance because of more home games.

Actually, Arkansas led the nation in both avg. and total attendance in 2007.

Arkansas had 257,512 in total attendance and avg. 8047 in 32 home games
LSU had 256,537 in total attendance and avg. 7329 in 35 home games

2007 is the only season out of the past 18 that LSU did not lead the nation in total and average attendance. 2007, along with 2006 were, by far, the worst 2 year period in LSU baseball since the arrival of Skip Bertman in the mid 80's.

Clint Alan

Quote from: Tammany Tom on April 06, 2010, 10:14:44 pm
Actually, Arkansas led the nation in both avg. and total attendance in 2007.

Arkansas had 257,512 in total attendance and avg. 8047 in 32 home games
LSU had 256,537 in total attendance and avg. 7329 in 35 home games

2007 is the only season out of the past 18 that LSU did not lead the nation in total and average attendance. 2007, along with 2006 were, by far, the worst 2 year period in LSU baseball since the arrival of Skip Bertman in the mid 80's.

No, 2007 LSU also led in total attendance. LSU had 35 home games, compared to 31 for Arkansas.

LSU had a total of 256,537 in total attendance, while Arkansas had 250,759.

Arkansas drew an average of 8,089, while LSU drew an average of 7,330.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/baseball_RB/reports/2007Attend.pdf

spe450

Quote from: 99toLife on April 06, 2010, 08:11:48 pm

I'm hoping you aren't referring to me.  I still don't understand your point because once again, i wasn't arguing that point.

spe450

I have a question for you Tammany.  When I went to the Baton Rouge series, I bought my tickets through the ticket marketplace from return tickets of season ticket holders.  Do they count these resold tickets towards the numbers as well?  Even though the charge an extra fee, I thought that was a great service.  I had awesome seats in the middle of great LSU fans that had those tickets for decades.  Got to talk a lot of great baseball with them.  I wish the Razorbacks would provide this service.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: rubmyHOG on April 06, 2010, 10:19:26 pm
No, 2007 LSU also led in total attendance. LSU had 35 home games, compared to 31 for Arkansas.

LSU had a total of 256,537 in total attendance, while Arkansas had 250,759.

Arkansas drew an average of 8,089, while LSU drew an average of 7,330.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/baseball_RB/reports/2007Attend.pdf

I got my figures from the SEC site. See below. Both the NCAA and SEC site show the same attendance figures for LSU whereas, the SEC site show higher figures for Arkansas.  I don't know which one is accurate. but it really doesn't matter. It's not a big difference between sites.

http://www.secsports.com/news/default.aspx?ArticleId=9258

Quote from: spe450 on April 06, 2010, 10:47:22 pm
I have a question for you Tammany.  When I went to the Baton Rouge series, I bought my tickets through the ticket marketplace from return tickets of season ticket holders.  Do they count these resold tickets towards the numbers as well?  Even though the charge an extra fee, I thought that was a great service.  I had awesome seats in the middle of great LSU fans that had those tickets for decades.  Got to talk a lot of great baseball with them.  I wish the Razorbacks would provide this service.

LSU only counts tickets purchased from the Ticket office as tickets sold. Tickets purchased from the marketplace are tickets purchased from season ticket holders and not the ticket office. When the ticket office resells a season ticket, they debit the ticket sold to the purchaser and credit the season ticket holder, so they offset one another.

spe450

Quote from: Tammany Tom on April 07, 2010, 07:54:46 am
I got my figures from the SEC site. See below. Both the NCAA and SEC site show the same attendance figures for LSU whereas, the SEC site show higher figures for Arkansas.  I don't know which one is accurate. but it really doesn't matter. It's not a big difference between sites.

http://www.secsports.com/news/default.aspx?ArticleId=9258

LSU only counts tickets purchased from the Ticket office as tickets sold. Tickets purchased from the marketplace are tickets purchased from season ticket holders and not the ticket office. When the ticket office resells a season ticket, they debit the ticket sold to the purchaser and credit the season ticket holder, so they offset one another.

Thanks!  I've been wondering about that.  I thought the fans just turned them back without any form of repayment.

Juboar

LSU enrollment 29,000.  Population of Baton Rouge 227,000
Ark enrollment 20,000.   Population of Fayetteville  73,000

Just another factor to consider.  I think we do a pretty good job and our average attendance numbers will only get better with good weather and continued success.

jacobp

We're in the top 2 in attendance year in and year out.  I don't see the problem here.

NeverYield

Nice numbers Juboar.  Maybe that will clear up some of the bickering!  Doubt it though since so many LSU fans showed up in this thread!
"You can take a boy out of ole' dixie land lord, but ju'll never take ole' dixie from a boy..."  -Ronnie VanZant

NeverYield

jacobp makes a nice point as well.  If the basketball team ever gets back on track, and the attendance goes back to sell outs, ( 22,000 ) we'll still be second in the SEC, due to Kentucky posting 24,000 plus.  NO BIG DEAL, we won't catch Kentucky's attendance, but second behind them is not too bad a place to be.  Be happy with it Hog fans!
"You can take a boy out of ole' dixie land lord, but ju'll never take ole' dixie from a boy..."  -Ronnie VanZant

josh_sec33

In the big scheme of things, does 1st vs. 2nd in attendance in the conference (and in some years the nation) really matter that much?

Both programs are strong and are supported rabidly by both fan bases.

This is what makes this little rivalry so good. Still wish the LSU series was in May. That had the potential to have been epic.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Hog Fan...DOH!

Wow, this thread is a head-basher. 

The WEATHER drives attendance beyond a certain point.  THE WEATHER.  If it's a nice day, Baum will be packed.  If it's not, then it will be half full.  That's the way it is.  Why is this so hard for people to comprehend? 

AND WHO GIVES A FLYING FLIP ABOUT LSU!??  The weather is warmer down there, they play more home games, and they've won what, 6 national titles in the last 20 years... Jeeeeez... of course they're going to sell a bunch of tickets.  Arkansas sells a bunch of tickets and make money from the baseball program, too.  I would argue it's only a matter of time before we win a title.  I bet LSU fans would agree with that.  Stop this ridiculous pissing contest. 

Arkansas is a GREAT baseball program right now.  Enjoy it, go to the games if you can, and start making plans to attend Regionals! 

spudhog

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on April 07, 2010, 10:58:24 am
Wow, this thread is a head-basher. 

The WEATHER drives attendance beyond a certain point.  THE WEATHER.  If it's a nice day, Baum will be packed.  If it's not, then it will be half full.  That's the way it is.  Why is this so hard for people to comprehend? 

AND WHO GIVES A FLYING FLIP ABOUT LSU!??  The weather is warmer down there, they play more home games, and they've won what, 6 national titles in the last 20 years... Jeeeeez... of course they're going to sell a bunch of tickets.  Arkansas sells a bunch of tickets and make money from the baseball program, too.  I would argue it's only a matter of time before we win a title.  I bet LSU fans would agree with that.  Stop this ridiculous pissing contest. 

Arkansas is a GREAT baseball program right now.  Enjoy it, go to the games if you can, and start making plans to attend Regionals!

Agreed. Let's pack Baum when we can and quit getting upset. If we had temps in the 70's-80's with little wind most of the time, we would be right up there with them. I am a die hard fan and it's not easy watching us play with it in the 40's and the wind blowing 20 mph. It was a lot funner on Sunday ( I know, the grand slam). But it was the first of 5 games I have been too that I didn't have to layer up.

spe450

Quote from: spudhog on April 07, 2010, 11:24:37 am
Agreed. Let's pack Baum when we can and quit getting upset. If we had temps in the 70's-80's with little wind most of the time, we would be right up there with them. I am a die hard fan and it's not easy watching us play with it in the 40's and the wind blowing 20 mph. It was a lot funner on Sunday ( I know, the grand slam). But it was the first of 5 games I have been too that I didn't have to layer up.
I managed a nice farmers tan on Saturday.

bsking

coach, my back hurts

Ok folks, here ya go.....
Total LSU attendence as of 4/6/10 is 151,910
Avg 6,077

http://www.d1baseball.com/schools/lsu.htm

What LSU is counting is paid attendence, not actual attendence.  If you click on the "scores" of each game it'll give you the full box score and at the bottom will give the details of the game: Weather, umpires, actual att, paid att, etc.  In the Centenary game, the 1st game of the season, the ACTUAL att was 9,914.  As a side note, it mentioned that it was the largest crowd to ever watch a game at Alex Box Stadium.  The 11,000+ stuff is BS.

Ark biggest crowd was 11,000+ against ASU last year.  I was there.  That place was packed.

So....according to my calculations, LSU has played 4 more home games than us and have only outdrawn us by 3,500+ in total attendence.  And if we are to assume that LSU is the only team in the conf that counts paid attendence, the link provided by the OP, LSU would rank 4th in the conf right behind SCar.

Tammany Tom

April 08, 2010, 03:45:28 pm #49 Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 04:11:25 pm by Tammany Tom
Quote from: coach, my back hurts on April 08, 2010, 01:10:06 am
Ok folks, here ya go.....
Total LSU attendence as of 4/6/10 is 151,910
Avg 6,077

http://www.d1baseball.com/schools/lsu.htm

What LSU is counting is paid attendence, not actual attendence.  If you click on the "scores" of each game it'll give you the full box score and at the bottom will give the details of the game: Weather, umpires, actual att, paid att, etc.  In the Centenary game, the 1st game of the season, the ACTUAL att was 9,914.  As a side note, it mentioned that it was the largest crowd to ever watch a game at Alex Box Stadium.  The 11,000+ stuff is BS.

Ark biggest crowd was 11,000+ against ASU last year.  I was there.  That place was packed.

So....according to my calculations, LSU has played 4 more home games than us and have only outdrawn us by 3,500+ in total attendence.  And if we are to assume that LSU is the only team in the conf that counts paid attendence, the link provided by the OP, LSU would rank 4th in the conf right behind SCar.

What do you not understand about the fact that every single school reports paid attendance?

This list compliled by the SEC office is paid attendance for all schools. Not one school lists their actual attendance in these figures.

Look at Arkansas and their paid vs actual attendance on the same site you are using to show LSU.

http://www.d1baseball.com/schools/arkansas.htm

February 21, 2010 Ball State at Arkansas Fayetteville, AR
Attendance: 6536
Actual Attendance: 918

http://ballstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=62141&SPID=6783&DB_OEM_ID=14200&ATCLID=204892795

March 4, 2010 S. Dakota State at Arkansas Fayetteville, AR.
Attendance: 6438
Actual Attendance: 1311

http://www.gojacks.com/fls/15000/stats/2010_BS/base08.htm

March 12th 2010 Wisconsin - Milwaukee at Arkansas Fayetteville, AR
Attendance: 6450
Actual Attendance: 1027

http://uwmpanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2009-2010/game10.html

April 7, 2010 Kentucky at Arkansas Fayetteville, AR
Attendance: 7527
Actual Attendance: 4136

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=30669&SPID=2415&DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=204924535

If you are going to go through the trouble of showing how LSU's paid attendance figures don't match their actual attendance, then do the same with Arkansas and every single other program. You will find that all teams report paid and not actual attendance.