Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What happens if Toledo goes undefeated this year?

Started by NuttinItUp, September 13, 2015, 11:49:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

September 13, 2015, 11:49:21 pm Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 01:35:57 pm by NuttinItUp
If Toledo were to go 11-0 in regular season play this year (their first game was cancelled, so only 11 games), and they end the year ranked high, would your perception of the loss change at all?

Edit: The MAC does have a conference championship game, so they could go 12-0 before the bowls.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Arkansas Fan

Nope. They're Toledo, we're Arkansas. We should win that game every time. Instead, Arkansas football is back in the Dark Ages and we won't see a Renaissance for another several years.

HAM ELLIOT

Not really....  They really don't play a schedule that would lead me to believe they are world beaters... 

HawgLife4Eva

It would for me. That would at least prove that they were a good team.

It really depends on how we play the rest of the year. For instance, if that were the only loss of the year, and they ended up being really good, then I wouldn't feel as bad.

I DON'T think that is going to happen, however.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: NuttinItUp on September 13, 2015, 11:49:21 pm
If Toledo were to go 11-0 in regular season play this year (their first game was cancelled, so only 11 games), and they end the year ranked high, would your perception of the loss change at all?

Try, just try, to justify this loss all you desire...   Simply put, we lost this game because the team and coaching staff thought they were playing a
"sisters of the immaculate goat" school and simply overlooked them (i.e..... they weren't prepared)...    It does happen to the best in the world......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

NuttinItUp

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 13, 2015, 11:54:18 pm
Try, just try, to justify this loss all you desire...   Simply put, we lost this game because the team and coaching staff thought they were playing a
"sisters of the immaculate goat" school and simply overlooked them (i.e..... they weren't prepared)...    It does happen to the best in the world......

Not justifying anything. Just asking what happens if they actually turn out to be good.

I am as disappointed as anyone, and I fully blame the staff for not having them ready to play.

kaptainkory

I fully expect the two teams will meet again in the playoffs.  /s

HOGLIGULA

Be in a better bowl.
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

HawgLife4Eva

Quote from: kaptainkory on September 13, 2015, 11:56:40 pm
I fully expect the two teams will meet again in the playoffs.  /s

LOL!

Heavy on the sarcasm there, but what if the apocalypse happened, several Power-5 conference winners had 2 losses, and Toledo snuck in as an undefeated. I would start taking cover because it would be the end of the world.

EastexHawg

Take a look at this and decide for yourself what it would prove. Who is the next best team on this schedule?

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/mid-amer/2015-toledo-rockets-football-schedule.php

HawgLife4Eva

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 14, 2015, 12:08:24 am
Take a look at this and decide for yourself what it would prove. Who is the next best team on this schedule?

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/mid-amer/2015-toledo-rockets-football-schedule.php
They do have a Big 12 school this coming weekend, Iowa State...although how good they are is still up in the air.

They did beat a ranked SEC school too....us!

Undefeated is hard, even with a soft schedule. That's why you don't see many teams do it. Doesn't matter if it is a stellar schedule or not. Hey, Ohio State has a weak schedule too.

3kgthog

...hell would freeze over. I'll go ahead and say they lose their next two games to ISU and Jonesboro Jr. High.

tkhog

We beat Northern Illinois 52-14 last year and they went on to 10-2 and their conference championship, so no, not at all.

MJ2

Nope, non issue.   Hogs should have won - big.

BorderPatrol

What happens if they go undefeated? They win all their games.

bp

dwcherr

Quote from: tkhog on September 14, 2015, 12:26:27 am
We beat Northern Illinois 52-14 last year and they went on to 10-2 and their conference championship, so no, not at all.

Northern Illinois actually beat Toledo last year....

Seminole Indian

Quote from: BorderPatrol on September 14, 2015, 08:06:17 am
What happens if they go undefeated? They win all their games.

bp
Could get that G5 spot in bowl game.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

DiamondHogFan

It wouldn't change my perception of the loss.  A loss to a MAC team is always bad, but it would help us if we can potentially get our act together and play well.  So, I will be a Toledo fan.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Junkyard Hog

Of course it will change everyone's perception of the loss. 

If they win every game from this point on 100-0 it won't look as bad.  If they lose every game from this point on 0-100 it will look worse.

The bottom line is we should've won the game but how they fare the rest of the way will make a difference in how it's perceived.

Biggus Piggus

It won't matter, because Arkansas in the proper mindset, with the right preparation -- the kind that "1-0" Bret Bielema always promised -- would have wiped the field with Toledo regardless of how good the Rockets are against the rest of their schedule.

It is Bielema's fault that Arkansas was not ready to play this game in Little Rock. He [CENSORED] up. Bad. Now his team looks like the weak link in the SEC West. He blew it bigtime.
[CENSORED]!

Hoggish1

Of course not.  I knew Toledo was good, but not Arkansas good, in our house (oh wait, we played them away, sorry).

HawgTrough

Giving up over 500 yards to a one dimensional team is not a recipe to going undefeated.
WPS

HotlantaHog

Reality is yes. It would look like less of a choke.

Bebop

September 14, 2015, 09:51:34 am #25 Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 10:10:18 am by Bebop
Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 14, 2015, 09:45:04 am
Of course not.  I knew Toledo was good, but not Arkansas good, in our house (oh wait, we played them away, sorry).

Facing a good non-power 5 FBS (some FCS) team may make a game closer, but it should never end in an embarrassing defeat. We should have won by at least two touchdowns.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Bebop on September 14, 2015, 09:51:34 am
Facing a good FCS team may make a game closer, but it should never end in an embarrassing defeat. We should have won by at least two touchdowns.
We played a FCS team?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Bebop on September 14, 2015, 10:08:55 am
My bad, non-power 5 FBS.

"Group of 5" is the proper term for the 5 smaller FBS conferences that are not "Power 5", I believe.

DeltaBoy

Even if they do I will still be pi$$ed over this Egg the Hogs laid in the ROCK!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ATLHog

They could run the table (look at the unimpressive schedule) and it still won't matter-
http://utrockets.com/schedule.aspx?path=football

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ATLHog on September 14, 2015, 12:28:44 pm
They could run the table (look at the unimpressive schedule) and it still won't matter-
http://utrockets.com/schedule.aspx?path=football
Nice G5 schedule.

MAC is a good league, and they scheduled manageable P5's.

Could get them the G5 Bowl spot.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

PorkRinds

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 14, 2015, 09:37:04 am
It won't matter, because Arkansas in the proper mindset, with the right preparation -- the kind that "1-0" Bret Bielema always promised -- would have wiped the field with Toledo regardless of how good the Rockets are against the rest of their schedule.

It is Bielema's fault that Arkansas was not ready to play this game in Little Rock. He [CENSORED] up. Bad. Now his team looks like the weak link in the SEC West. He blew it bigtime.

No argument with that assessment.

HogsBalls

I watched the game again and I think a lot of people will change their perspective of this game at the end of the season. Toledo is a dang good football team.

Peter Porker

We should have beat them. The loss us squarely on CBB. We had too many penalties and gave up way too many 3rd and forevers. IMO those 2 reasons are why we loss.
Well, there's another reason too. Toledo came to play. What if they run the table? Would you feel better about the loss?
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

ARtillahog

It definitely would look better in the eyes of the media. Plus, if the Hogs turned around and posted 8 wins I think it would temper emotions.  Heck, beating TTU this weekend while running the ball would temper a lot of the emotions on here.

DeltaBoy

I will feel a little better but CBB blew this game when he failed to run his FG kicker out there on all those 4th and goal we failed on.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Danny J

This thread feels eerily similar to 2012 and ULM.

WooPig90

STLhawg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 16, 2015, 09:15:05 amCBB blew this game when he failed to run his FG kicker out there on all those 4th and goal we failed on.
I'm not sure I agree.  Everything is 20/20 in hindsight.  What is really a failure is that this team cannot get a few yards on 4th down against a MAC team!

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

ricepig

eequalsmcsquared

Quote from: Peter Porker on September 16, 2015, 09:12:22 am
We should have beat them. The loss us squarely on CBB. We had too many penalties and gave up way too many 3rd and forevers. IMO those 2 reasons are why we loss.
Well, there's another reason too. Toledo came to play. What if they run the table? Would you feel better about the loss?

wont make me feel any better. A huge , embarrassing, program-setting-back loss is what we got (and deserved).

Hogmeier

Even if they go undefeated, a SEC team will still have lost to a MAC team. Sounds right....

JaketheSnake

Doesn't matter either way.  Hogs beat that team 98 out of 100 games, but Saturday was one of those games. Still a blemish on us even if they go undefeated the rest of the season.  They have a pretty decent chance to go undefeated tho.

gasshog

My thoughts on a big question here is this: what will happen if Arkansas State beats Toledo?

The game is September 26th at Toledo.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Never will feel good about the loss. But I still have faith in CBB and staff

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: gasshog on September 16, 2015, 10:16:03 am
My thoughts on a big question here is this: what will happen if Arkansas State beats Toledo?

The game is September 26th at Toledo.

Has Arkansas State improved 20+ pts from when Toledo beat the S*** out of them in January?

Peter Porker

Quote from: eequalsmcsquared on September 16, 2015, 09:52:27 am
wont make me feel any better. A huge , embarrassing, program-setting-back loss is what we got (and deserved).

Possible, but not necessarily the scenario.

Alabama in 2007 under Nick Saban lost to a 6-6 Sun Belt Conference ULM team. (The MAC is a better conference than the Sun Belt, though the Sun Belt is getting better). Did Alabama's program tank after that? No. The following season Saban and Alabama won the SEC.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

HawgLife4Eva

Quote from: HogsBalls on September 14, 2015, 01:21:37 pm
I watched the game again and I think a lot of people will change their perspective of this game at the end of the season. Toledo is a dang good football team.

Hope you are right.