Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Arkansas coach takes a shot at Ohio State"

Started by Next1_04, September 09, 2015, 03:21:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

Be careful what you ask unless you can handle the answer.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Vantage 8 dude

Well folks, as we've learned the truth often hurts. And in this case the tOSU schedule for the rest of the year is total joke and farce. Let 'em play a in-league SECW slate every year and see if they "run the table" annually.

Ragnar Hogbrok

By virtue of their weak conference and weak schedule, they will be a near guaranteed a spot in the playoffs.  They are good, no doubt.  But if they face no competition all year long, it's a disservice to other teams who must play comparable talent.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

GolfnHog

Something that I've always wondered: Is it taking a "shot" at someone or something when facts substantiate a statement?
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

cosmodrum

Quote from: GolfnHog on September 09, 2015, 03:46:47 pm
Something that I've always wondered: Is it taking a "shot" at someone or something when facts substantiate a statement?

Same here. It was just a factual statement. IMO, it's speaks more about the conference than Ohio St. It's not their fault it sucks. They went out and scheduled a solid VT team. They still have to play the pasties in the Big 10.
Go away, batin'

ChiTown27

Facts are never personal or vain.
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul
can always depend on the support of Paul."

George Bernard Shaw

DiamondHogFan

Yet when outsiders complain about the SEC out of conference schedule...it's not labeled as "taking a shot".

Uncommon

Original title of article - "Arkansas coach says factual statement about Ohio State's remaining strength of schedule"

MSN: Let's spice it up.

Title of posted article - "Arkansas coach takes a shot at Ohio State"

MSN: Much better

phadedhawg

Wow...

I always knew Ohio State had an advantage getting to the post season but no idea just how easy of a road they have this year.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Uncommon on September 09, 2015, 03:56:35 pm
Original title of article - "Arkansas coach says factual statement about Ohio State's remaining strength of schedule"

exactly!!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Uncommon on September 09, 2015, 03:56:35 pm

Surely you jest. We all know that the media would NEVER EVER distort or otherwise change a quote ot facts in order to get a "spice up". Oh yea of little faith.......

Sivad

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 09, 2015, 03:51:08 pm
They still have to play the pasties in the Big 10.

Prefer them without pasties, myself.
[CENSORED]!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 09, 2015, 03:51:08 pm
Same here. It was just a factual statement. IMO, it's speaks more about the conference than Ohio St. It's not their fault it sucks. They went out and scheduled a solid VT team. They still have to play the pasties in the Big 10.

I hate pasties!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Hog N Bama

OSU schedule is not indicative of that of a #1 team :-\
Glad Coach B has the guts to flat out point it out!

RedRock

It's the Big 10 way.  Why do you think Meyer went to that cushy gig?

arkfan81

Dan Mullen just spoke about this on Paul Finebaum. , How would an sec team with their schedule do, lets have them play our schedule and see how they would fair.

"Not actual quote"
Have faith...

ChemEHawg

Boise State of the B1G useless conference up north.
Thanks for all the info.  Will probably stick to one of the places close to the hotel so that if I have a few too many I can stagger back.  Nothing better than your kids seeing you drunk.  I don't look at it as a bad example but rather a cautionary tale.<br /><br />-Dwight_K_Shrute<br /><br />I can't wait to have kids...

Uncommon

Coach Bielema wasn't criticizing Ohio State because they can't do much about who they play when 8 of the 12 games are conference games.  Who you get is who you get.  Ohio State could schedule tougher non conference opponents but so could every other Power 5 school in the country.  We can't be hypocrites.  He was simply pointing out that Ohio State's schedule is a lot less difficult than most SEC teams which isn't a very shocking comment by any means.  It's almost like common sense at this point.

gmarv

yeah and the other thing is we,ll have to listen to this drivel all year about just how good ohio state is to boot.which they maybe but they won,t have to prove it.

opineonswine

Quote from: The Chief on September 09, 2015, 03:46:34 pm
By virtue of their weak conference and weak schedule, they will be a near guaranteed a spot in the playoffs.  They are good, no doubt.  But if they face no competition all year long, it's a disservice to other teams who must play comparable talent.

I couldn't agree more.  Flaw in the system.

Biggus Piggus

Gobs of Internet grunt monkeys monitor social media feeds for "Bielema" and convert anything they can into instant controversy.
[CENSORED]!

hogfan870

It is a little ironic that one of CBB's reasons for coming here was that he thought SEC teams had a better shot at getting in the playoffs (or getting two teams in the playoffs), but now he is saying how easy a road Oh St has.  Not criticizing CBB, and he is right about Oh St's schedule, just pointing out the irony.

threeNout

It can't help to prepare them to enter the playoffs without having been tested all year.

BOAR_N2BWILD

^^^^ This. We live in such a world of crappy media that " a shot" is just a simple statement of the truth or fact. Most of the media these days just try to keep the world in a state of a Jerry Springer episode.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

onebadrubi

You think thats bad, be prepared for another OSU/Wisconsin awful big 10 conf game.  Wisconsin's remaining schedule looks like what a UALR schedule should look like. 

hawginbigd1

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogfan870 on September 09, 2015, 04:39:24 pm
It is a little ironic that one of CBB's reasons for coming here was that he thought SEC teams had a better shot at getting in the playoffs (or getting two teams in the playoffs), but now he is saying how easy a road Oh St has.  Not criticizing CBB, and he is right about Oh St's schedule, just pointing out the irony.

The other irony is that Coach Bielema built his reputation as a football coach winning against the same type of Big 10 schedule that he now says isn't very good.  How does that not occur to him?

onebadrubi

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 09, 2015, 04:48:37 pm
The other irony is that Coach Bielema built his reputation as a football coach winning against the same type of Big 10 schedule that he now says isn't very good.  How does that not occur to him?

One built is reputation and then took a step up to a tougher conference.  So keep trying....

EastexHawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 09, 2015, 04:50:06 pm
One built is reputation and then took a step up to a tougher conference.  So keep trying....

Do you not remember that the current Ohio State coach won two national titles and had another 13-1 season in the SEC before going to the Big 12?  And that he throttled SEC champ Alabama...who we haven't beaten since 2006...on his way to another national championship just last year?

This is an argument that we as a program aren't going to be able to make, much less win.  It would have been a better idea to just say nothing at all.

Razoryak

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on September 09, 2015, 03:44:53 pm
Well folks, as we've learned the truth often hurts. And in this case the tOSU schedule for the rest of the year is total joke and farce. Let 'em play a in-league SECW slate every year and see if they "run the table" annually.

OSU doesn't get to pick their conference, the big ten will cycle back to being pretty good. This is somewhat like the schedule Georgia enjoyed the last few years in the horribly weak SEC East, yet they still could not get to Atlanta. No matter the conference or the schedule you still have to win the games put in front of you.
Woo Pig

onebadrubi

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 09, 2015, 04:58:03 pm
Do you not remember that the current Ohio State coach won two national titles and had another 13-1 season in the SEC before going to the Big 12?  And that he throttled SEC champ Alabama...who we haven't beaten since 2006...on his way to another national championship just last year?

This is an argument that we as a program aren't going to be able to make, much less win.  It would have been a better idea to just say nothing at all.

You won't see much argument from todays comments. 

PORKULATOR

The Ohio State strength of schedule is the only reason Urban "CryingHeart" Meyer took the job. Its high profile with no risk and he's a male chicken sucking pansie.... Squared

Wps
Never Yield
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

wholehog92

First off, it wasn't a shot, it was a fact he stated.

Secondly, O state scheduled a decent OOC team and play in a power 5.  It's not their fault the rest of the conference just isn't very good.

I've got no issues with O state or Coach's statement of fact.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Razoryak

Woo Pig

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Razoryak on September 09, 2015, 05:17:00 pm
Sucks for us, but does not make OSU any less dominant.

If they couldn't dominate that schedule, they wouldn't win the Sun Belt.
[CENSORED]!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Watching the Finebaum Show in bits and pieces, it seems that BB has gotten himself into the mainstream media (spit), and I can't figure out if this is something that just happened or if it is being reignited from a statement from the past.

He merely commented on how OSU (Suck I's) will only play one ranked team while we'll play eight, and that is why the SEC is so rugged and on a different level.

While that's not complimentary to OSU or the Big 10, there's nothing non-factual about it.

Am I missing something?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25295815/bret-bielema-takes-shot-at-ohio-state-schedule-says-sec-on-other-level

http://collegespun.com/big-ten/ohio-state/arkansas-razorbacks-football-coach-bret-bielema-sec-ap-top-25-ohio-state-buckeyes-weak-big-ten

P.S.
Finebaum is a "donkey" for stating that while he understands the strength of the SEC, he's unimpressed with 10 teams being in the AP.  He's more impressed with the teams that are ranked in November.

This just in........Somebody has to lose the game, and once the losses mount past 3 or so, you'll fall out of the rankings even if  you're FAR better than an undefeated San Diego State with their basement level SOS.

I don't know how you could create a system to take all the losses into account, etc., but to believe that a 4 loss aTm team isn't probably better than a 2 loss Univ NC team is going to be bogus.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

ricepig

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on September 09, 2015, 04:44:09 pm
^^^^ This. We live in such a world of crappy media that " a shot" is just a simple statement of the truth or fact. Most of the media these days just try to keep the world in a state of a Jerry Springer episode.

True, but the media is only giving the sheeple what they want.  Soundbites, gotchas, low blows, and for the love of God, no actual content.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:

Razoryak

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 09, 2015, 05:28:45 pm
If they couldn't dominate that schedule, they wouldn't win the Sun Belt.

I said they are not any less of a dominant team, of course they should dominate their schedule. By recruiting rankings, actual developed talent, coaching, and just about any other factor they are the best and most dominant team in the country. They are not perfect, but they do happen to be in a very down Big Ten right now.
Woo Pig

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Razoryak on September 09, 2015, 05:00:31 pm
OSU doesn't get to pick their conference, the big ten will cycle back to being pretty good. This is somewhat like the schedule Georgia enjoyed the last few years in the horribly weak SEC East, yet they still could not get to Atlanta. No matter the conference or the schedule you still have to win the games put in front of you.

The only way the Big 10 cycles back is for the member schools to invest in better coaches, assistant coaches, and facilities.  I'm talking the bottom 1/2 of the league not the top.  There is a reason 10 of 14 SEC schools are ranked, because those schools have made a huge commitment to football. 

Take Wisconsin that has been arguably a top 4 Big 10 team over the last decade.  They hire Paul Chryst at $2.5 mil after a .500 record at Pitt.  Arkansas by contrast hired away Bielema who was a gaudy 68-24 at Wisconsin.

Beckman (who) wasn't getting it done at Illinois.  Nebraska hires Mike Riley away from Oregon State.  Riley he of 62 years old and only 2 winning seasons out of the last 5 at OSU.  Darrell Hazell at Purdue absolutely putrid.  Indiana coach is now in his 5th season and has yet to post a winning record and is 6-26 in conference.  You think any SEC team would hold onto a coach like that after 4 years?  Ferentz is over paid and over the hill.

Conference has made some good hires over the years Dantonio, Meyer, Franklin, and Harbaugh, but after a very bad loss to Temple shine could be coming off Franklin.  This year will tell a lot.

Plus how can they cycle back when besides a lack of coaching talent, their recruiting rankings for the most part are garbage.  Again top heavy with a few teams, but hell the 12th best recruiting team in the SEC still lands around 25th or so in National rankings.  The talent has moved South and West.   OSU has a very nice #9 recruiting ranking at the moment.  5 of the 8 schools ahead of it are in the SEC, 2 are ACC schools and one is USC.  Next Big team is Penn State at 15.  Funny that the two top recruiting schools in the Big 10 have HCs that came from the SEC.

Outside of Vandy, the lowest ranked SEC school is KY at 35.  There are 10 Big 10 schools ranked below KY in recruiting rankings.   
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Dr. Pepper

I wish BB would stop doing this and just take the high road.  It may not be what you believe, but just side step the question with a canned response like just about every other coach not named Steve Spurrier or Lane Kiffin.
:razorback:   :razorback:   :razorback:

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Dr. Pepper on September 09, 2015, 06:18:03 pm
I wish BB would stop doing this and just take the high road.  It may not be what you believe, but just side step the question with a canned response like just about every other coach not named Steve Spurrier or Lane Kiffin.

Yawn.

But seriously. What do you care?
[CENSORED]!

Razoryak

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 09, 2015, 06:11:13 pm
The only way the Big 10 cycles back is for the member schools to invest in better coaches, assistant coaches, and facilities.  I'm talking the bottom 1/2 of the league not the top.  There is a reason 10 of 14 SEC schools are ranked, because those schools have made a huge commitment to football. 

Take Wisconsin that has been arguably a top 4 Big 10 team over the last decade.  They hire Paul Chryst at $2.5 mil after a .500 record at Pitt.  Arkansas by contrast hired away Bielema who was a gaudy 68-24 at Wisconsin.

Beckman (who) wasn't getting it done at Illinois.  Nebraska hires Mike Riley away from Oregon State.  Riley he of 62 years old and only 2 winning seasons out of the last 5 at OSU.  Darrell Hazell at Purdue absolutely putrid.  Indiana coach is now in his 5th season and has yet to post a winning record and is 6-26 in conference.  You think any SEC team would hold onto a coach like that after 4 years?  Ferentz is over paid and over the hill.

Conference has made some good hires over the years Dantonio, Meyer, Franklin, and Harbaugh, but after a very bad loss to Temple shine could be coming off Franklin.  This year will tell a lot.

Plus how can they cycle back when besides a lack of coaching talent, their recruiting rankings for the most part are garbage.  Again top heavy with a few teams, but hell the 12th best recruiting team in the SEC still lands around 25th or so in National rankings.  The talent has moved South and West.   OSU has a very nice #9 recruiting ranking at the moment.  5 of the 8 schools ahead of it are in the SEC, 2 are ACC schools and one is USC.  Next Big team is Penn State at 15.  Funny that the two top recruiting schools in the Big 10 have HCs that came from the SEC.

Outside of Vandy, the lowest ranked SEC school is KY at 35.  There are 10 Big 10 schools ranked below KY in recruiting rankings.

Every conference goes through cycles, but even if the Big 10 is down for a while, tOSU has been built into a monster by Urban Meyer. They took out the SECs big dog in the playoff last year. So until someone knocks them off, weak schedule or not, they are the top dog.
Woo Pig

lefty08

The big 10 loves the conference just the way it is. Why would they want the bottom dwellers to get better? It wouldn't allow Ohio St to dominate
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

TexArkHogFan

No doubt OSU is good but VT gave them all they wanted, even led at one point in the second quarter and then they lost their starting quarterback.  I think the game would have been much closer in the second half if they had their starting QB.  And, VT wasn't even ranked. 
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

lefty08

Quote from: Razoryak on September 09, 2015, 06:30:32 pm
Every conference goes through cycles, but even if the Big 10 is down for a while, tOSU has been built into a monster by Urban Meyer. They took out the SECs big dog in the playoff last year. So until someone knocks them off, weak schedule or not, they are the top dog.

Ohio St is no more dominant now than when the sweater vest was there
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged