Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Seattlehog - What I Know - Week 11 - Ole Miss

Started by vector4dz, November 23, 2014, 01:12:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

vector4dz

That Was Interesting - What I Know - Week 11

"Well that was interesting"

----Bill Murray in "Stripes" after having sex in in a trunk ----

Sometimes things kinda work out the way they should. Not always (case in point would be Auburn's entire season last year). But sometimes.

As much as I want to believe these Hogs "should" have won the A&M game, the Alabama game, the Mississippi State game - the fact is that they shouldn't have. Each of those games had 4 or 5 chances for the Hogs to nail them down but not only did they not make the plays - they actively made mistakes.

This was always supposed to be a transition year, a year where Bielema has SOME of his guys and SOME of his "culture" in place, a year where we start to see how this strategy, these tactics will work out. 

Remarkably the fan base, at least in large part, has gone along with this gladly. Sure we griped about BA and play calling but I'm pretty sure as college football fans we are contractually obligated to do those things.  For the most part we all liked what we saw - even as the losses piled up. For some reason it all made sense to us.  It seemed like there was a plan and that plan was logical and that plan was sound and that eventually it would work out.

It did!

This is no small thing. Logic and sanity winning out isn't necessarily the norm in the sports world - or in the world in general. 

Too much depends on analyzing OUTCOME rather than PROCESS.  Outcomes are subject to luck and happenstance and Hail Mary passes and the odd bounces of an oblong ball. Outcomes are affected by RANDOMNESS and randomness cannot be coached or prepared for - it just happens.

Auburn should have lost at least 3 regular season games last year and could have lost another. But they got some bounces. Gus is hailed.

This year some of the breaks go the other way and it's somehow Gus's fault.

Quite simply this is weak reasoning and low level thinking. Either Gus is a good coach (he is) and has good schemes and plans and organization etc. - and this gives his teams the best chance to succeed he possibly can or he doesn't. Judging solely on outcomes is just silly.

The same is true for Bielema. 

What is amazing is that

1) The Arkansas fan base has largely rejected evaluating this staff solely on outcomes and

2) It seems to be working out the way it should.

This team SHOULD be getting some wins.  This team has earned some success. This team is pretty good - the ball should bounce its way once a while.  And it did.

Outside of turnovers the stat line looked pretty even against Ole Miss. We struggled to run the ball and barely threw it at all. But the outcome was never in doubt. Sometimes things just go your way. Sometimes the process works. Sometimes it's both.

It's nice when things work out.

On to What I Know - Week 11

I know I sorta wanted to feel sorry for Bo Wallace. Couldn't do it. Instead tag lines from "The Simpsons" kept rattling in my head. Nelson's "HA-ha" and Homer's "DOH!" to be specific.

I know Florida State's follow up season to their national title reminds be of the Arkansas basketball team's national title follow up year.  Just kinda messing around until you absolutely HAVE to then doing just enough - eventually ending in disappointment.

I know 427 yard rushing by one dude seems like a WHOLE lot.

I know I had tickets to the game, was on my way to the game. But when my underwear got soaked just going out to get in my car I decided to keep driving right on past Fayetteville to my folks house on Beaver Lake.

I know this was weak and cowardly but today I am happy and suffering from no weird fungal infections or chafing injuries in my nether regions. I count this as a win.

I know during the game I had the following exchange with Ellis:

ELLIS: Look on the Internet and get plans and drawings of an ICE POWER machine to make GIANT ice cubes. Gianter than YOU.

ME: What for?

ELLIS : No questions. Just print them out Dad.

I know I'm pretty sure I understand how Lex Luthor's dad must have felt.

I know when BA got hurt I exchanged the following text messages with a friend :

ME: How do we feel about this - Happy? Sad? Indifferent?

HIM: Not sure - I feel kinda drunk and I think I ate some bad cheese. So I   guess I feel nauseous.

I know I was happy for Rohan Gaines - because I like his name. It sounds like a villain in a comic.

I know I was happy for Tevin Mitchell. Man that pass floated up there forever.

I know during the game they cut to Bielema and his rain suit and that weird peninsula of hair he has on top and the incomplete facial hair and my mother said "Bless his heart - he is just a homely, homely man."

I know Robb Smith is the new "it" guy. Deservedly so. But unless I get a satisfying explanation as to why he spells "Robb" withs 2 b's I will refuse to get on the bandwagon.

I know when that dude fielded the kickoff and went out of bounds at the 1 it seemed pretty clear which way this one was going.

I know during the game Ellis accidentally turned on a video on the iMac. My mother spent 5 frustrating minutes griping and poking the screen and saying that she couldn't turn it off and that the computer wasn't working. When I informed her that it was working fine - it's just that it isn't a touch screen - she just turned quietly and walked away.

I know that without Treadwell I kept looking at Ole Miss's offense and saying "Wha?" "Huh?" "Who am I supposed to be scared of?"

I know Ellis has started collecting bugs. Roly-polys mostly. She has named the latest one "Sparkles" and informed me she "put some lavender in the jar so he can smell nice". This raising a girl thing gets confusing.

I know I want to say something about Korliss Marshall but I don't know what to say.

I know I love Verne Lundquist but when they showed footage of an interview with him it was hard to escape the impression that he is ever so slowly transforming into a giant toad.

I know the best part of the game was midway through Rohan Gaines return. One of our defensive lineman - I think it was Bijhon Jackson but I can't swear to it - was running with the phalanx of blockers when everyone caught and passed him around midfield. He sees everyone going by then looks down field and does a sort of halfway celebratory raising of his hands above his head and an awkward semi-skip before realizing he still has a long way to run and he better keep digging or he will look foolish in film session. Too late. Celebrate away Bijhon.

Until Next Time
Seattle

Twitter: @seattlehog

http://seattlehog.org/

Mike_e

The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Hoggish1

Quote from: vector4dz on November 23, 2014, 01:12:43 pm

Auburn should have lost at least 3 regular season games last year and could have lost another. But they got some bounces. Gus is hailed.

This year some of the breaks go the other way and it's somehow Gus's fault.

Quite simply this is weak reasoning and low level thinking. Either Gus is a good coach (he is) and has good schemes and plans and organization etc. - and this gives his teams the best chance to succeed he possibly can or he doesn't. Judging solely on outcomes is just silly.

I know during the game they cut to Bielema and his rain suit and that weird peninsula of hair he has on top and the incomplete facial hair and my mother said "Bless his heart - he is just a homely, homely man."

I know Robb Smith is the new "it" guy. Deservedly so. But unless I get a satisfying explanation as to why he spells "Robb" withs 2 b's I will refuse to get on the bandwagon.

What I know:

I could care less about Gus and every time Auburn loses, is happy time...

I would not describe CBB as homely, not with that wife and his quick wit.
You want homely?  Try Malzahn and Freeze...

Robb can put as many bbbs at the end of his first name as he wants...

Dr. Starcs

MuskogeeHogFan

What I know is that PROCESS, when coached properly, does effect OUTCOMES and often times can overcome the RANDOMNESS that can occur in ball games.
Go Hogs Go!

dhornjr1

Quote from: vector4dz on November 23, 2014, 01:12:43 pm
I know I love Verne Lundquist but when they showed footage of an interview with him it was hard to escape the impression that he is ever so slowly transforming into a giant toad.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=581595.msg9362278#msg9362278

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on November 22, 2014, 05:41:01 pm
Verne looks like a bullfrog.

hogs24

Quote from: Buff on August 04, 2013, 01:34:19 pm

I am THIS close to raping you right now. 

SA Hog Fan

I know that I rewound and watched Bijon's fifty yard line mini celebration probably 5 times and laughed out loud every time. 

Wild Boarnado

Great way to enjoy my Sunday sitting here glowing in a Hog victory reading your wonderful article. And yes Bijon's Celebration makes me smile each time I see it.

Thanks!

Wooo Pig!
"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

rzrbackrob

Good is the enemy of great

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 23, 2014, 01:58:20 pm
What I know is that PROCESS, when coached properly, does effect OUTCOMES and often times can overcome the RANDOMNESS that can occur in ball games.

P + P = O
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: rzrbackrob on November 23, 2014, 03:53:01 pm
Nailed FSU and the 1995 Hog basketball team.

Gonna be really interesting to watch FSU in the playoffs when the betting lines shrink. Is FSU really good? Is Jameus The Innocent really involved in a point shaving scandal?
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

gmarv

what I know I don,t care what cbb looks like or that his wife is hot or not
I care that hes now winning and I,m really proud how he and our players handled losing.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: gmarv on November 23, 2014, 04:16:09 pm
I care that hes now winning and I,m really proud how he and our players handled losing.

Psst............ Commas break up sentences, apostrophes break up words.

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Hogfaniam

Quote from: gmarv on November 23, 2014, 04:16:09 pm

It's, like, poetry

what I know I don,t care
what cbb looks like
or that his wife is hot
or not
I care that hes now winning
and I,m really proud
how he and our players handled losing.

Good job gmarv
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

pfrg999

Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!