Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fg kicker?

Started by jmingram911, September 28, 2014, 10:54:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jmingram911

So someone fill me in on our fg kicker? Doesn't seem like his kick was anywhere near the caliber of your typical SEC kicker? What's the deal with this? Can we have an open tryout for kicker this week with the soccer team??  ;) 8)Certainly there is someone that can make a 44 yard field goal from the left hash with ease bc seems as if just about every other kicker in the SEC can.....

Just seeing what y'all thought

WPS

PonderinHog

popcornhog

44 yard we isn't a gimme in college at all. But we are certainly experiencing troubles with field goals.
WPS

HognitiveDissonance

Time to try Cole Hedlund. Period.

Prestworthy

Aggs missed one too.  It's a wash.  Should have gone for it on 4th down.

AloRaptor

Even better yet why don't you just walk on because everybody knows that 44 yarders are so easy to make you won't have any problem at all.  ;)

ricepig

Quote from: AloRaptor on September 29, 2014, 06:45:25 am
Even better yet why don't you just walk on because everybody knows that 44 yarders are so easy to make you won't have any problem at all.  ;)

Especially if you're a pup, or so I've read on another thread.....

BRHogfan

Henson is a Senior.  Hasn't kicked many times in his career at Arkansas.  Hasn't made a field goal longer than 25 yards this year.  Hasn't had to make a game winning/icing field goal in his career ever.

I have to tell you guys I would rather see something like this happen to an outgoing senior than a highly prized freshman. 

Everyone is comparing the miss by Henson to the Tiffin miss in 2006 against the Hogs, but if anyone noticed, Tiffin was Hocker for the Tide before he graduated.  Henson won't have that kinda time, but he could still hit us a 50 yard game winner before the end of the season if he gets it right between the ears.

Pigsknuckles

With our backfield, you don't put the outcome of the game on the foot of a kicker who's best performance has been a 25 yard chip shot, and who badly missed a 42 yarder on his previous attempt. Plus, as an OC, you don't play for that as your primary means to close out the contest.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

bphi11ips

Quote from: BRHogfan on September 29, 2014, 08:01:45 am
Henson is a Senior.  Hasn't kicked many times in his career at Arkansas.  Hasn't made a field goal longer than 25 yards this year.  Hasn't had to make a game winning/icing field goal in his career ever.

I have to tell you guys I would rather see something like this happen to an outgoing senior than a highly prized freshman. 

Everyone is comparing the miss by Henson to the Tiffin miss in 2006 against the Hogs, but if anyone noticed, Tiffin was Hocker for the Tide before he graduated.  Henson won't have that kinda time, but he could still hit us a 50 yard game winner before the end of the season if he gets it right between the ears.

Hocker was 16 of 19 and 56 of 56 as a true freshman.

I've seen no one compare Tiffin's two missed extra points to Henson's missed 44 yarder. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HognitiveDissonance

It's clear to me.
Even prior to the NIU game, Bielema said their rule for Henson was the 25-yard line. Think about that and what it says about your kicker's potential: that you're not even going to consider a 45-50 yard FG. We've grown accustomed to Hocker making 50+ yarders 50% of the time.
Then combine that with the NIU attempt from 42-yards, and the crucial 44-yarder against A&M. One was a weak-looking miss, the other was miles off.
It's time to at least give Hedlund a shot. Then you'll know where you stand, either he will win the job or you'll know that you need to recruit another kicker.
I think it's not even so much that the kicks were missed, it's how they looked. One had no pop to it, the other didn't come close.

Piggfoot

maybe Hedlund has not adapted well to kicking off the ground?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Hogmeier

The kid shouldn't have been put in that position. If the offense would have taken care of getting a 1st down, then no field goal necessary! The play calling was horrible in the 2nd half! If there is a chance you know you're not going to it get done on 3rd down, at least try to set up the kicker in a good position!

And if you're going to call out the kicker, why not call out the QB too! I saw 2 or 3 times, when he had 3 yards of open space in front of him that he could have tried to run to get a 1st down...instead, he threw it away.

Sure, that field goal may have won it for us, but then again, so could a lot of other things! 

bphi11ips

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hogmeier on September 29, 2014, 08:55:17 am

The kid shouldn't have been put in that position. 

I don't think anyone's blaming Henson.  He's been a dedicated Razorbacks player.  Some do question why he was put in the position to attempt the kick with Hedlund on the roster, and that's a fair question. 

RUN N GUN

September 29, 2014, 09:09:43 am #15 Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 09:32:42 am by RUN N GUN
Quote from: bphi11ips on September 29, 2014, 09:00:57 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDHE4zBydKY

What do you think?

Easy to make when no pressure is on...Cole will probably get a chance if henson miss the next one over 30 yards

Hogfan1660

I would like to see him kick one over 30 yards that actually hits the net. That FG almost missed the entire end zone.

bphi11ips

Quote from: RUN N GUN on September 29, 2014, 09:09:43 am
Easy to make when no pressure is on...Cole will probably get a chance if henson miss the next one over 30 yards

The question was whether he is having trouble with no tee.  Hedlund had no tee in the video. 

Piggfoot

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 29, 2014, 09:00:57 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDHE4zBydKY

What do you think?

That clears that up. Only the coaches know why they went with Henson.

The question remains though, if the coaches aren't comfortable with Hedlund over 42 yard as they apparently aren't with Henson then why the scholarship to Hedlund?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 29, 2014, 09:49:03 am

The question remains though, if the coaches aren't comfortable with Hedlund over 42 yard as they apparently aren't with Henson then why the scholarship to Hedlund?

Not sure.  Parade All American and Texas high school records maybe? 

texas tush hog

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 29, 2014, 09:49:03 am

Henson has yet to make a field goal longer than 25 yards in two years. Think about it. The next time he misses I expect to hear the boo birds to resurface.