Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Red Shirting A Kicker On Scholorship

Started by BigoBoys, September 27, 2014, 09:15:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigoBoys

Poker_hog

I can only assume he is not better than what we saw. Hard to believe considering the hype.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Wildhog

If he was better than Henson he'd be out there.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Poker_hog on September 27, 2014, 09:17:43 pm
I can only assume he is not better than what we saw. Hard to believe considering the hype.
Your assumption is not valid. I've seen him kick. He's very talented.

ricepig

Yeah, I'm sure they went with the other guy for shirts and giggles, nothing to do with winning the competition they had.

Calling All Hogs

It's not like a kicker gains a lot by spending a year learning the system.

Danny J

He HAS to be better. They need to try something different there. You can't keep consistently getting to the opponents 35yd line on in and either punting or going for it. That is ridiculous. I told my father late in the game we should have either punted or went for it. I had no faith he could make it and it wasn't even close. Hell....he missed the entire net.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Wildhog on September 27, 2014, 09:18:42 pm
He's much better. Made a national record 51 field goals in high school. Easily has 50 yard range.

Wildhog

They aren't intentionally playing the lesser player.  Henson won the competition.  Jesus.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on September 27, 2014, 09:22:08 pm
He's much better. Made a national record 51 field goals in high school. Easily has 50 yard range.

So explain Henson winning the job.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Beaverfever

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: ricepig on September 27, 2014, 09:19:14 pm
Yeah, I'm sure they went with the other guy for shirts and giggles, nothing to do with winning the competition they had.
When he gets to kick in a couple of weeks you'll see.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 27, 2014, 09:18:42 pm

I think Hedlund is better but it did not show during camp because the other kicker was overachieving. They both looked equally good during camp, and they seldom missed FGs. That is why it made sense (based on the camp competition) to Red Shirt Hedlund. I think we will see him kicking in two weeks.

Wildhog

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on September 27, 2014, 09:23:33 pm

Maybe you're right.  But you have to earn your PT.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on September 27, 2014, 09:23:33 pm

Why didn't he win it in the fall? Why isn't he kicking off?

grayhawg

Quote from: Wildhog on September 27, 2014, 09:22:15 pm
They aren't intentionally playing the lesser player.  Henson won the competition.  Jesus.
Could he have a bad case of nerves when the lights come on like another kicker we had a few years ago.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Wildhog on September 27, 2014, 09:22:37 pm
He must be immature or they don't think he's ready for the big stage. Only logical explanation

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 27, 2014, 09:22:37 pm

During camp (With no/minimal pressure) they both looked pretty equal, so CBB Redshirted Hedlund for the future. CBB said this week that the team is better but "we haven't rounded the corner yet". I think CBB and the coaches believed that they could get by without Hedlund this year.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Wildhog on September 27, 2014, 09:24:20 pm
Maybe you're right.  But you have to earn your PT.
The competition was a dead heat. They went with the experience. They made a mistake.

Beaverfever

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 27, 2014, 09:27:24 pm
During camp (With no/minimal pressure) they both looked pretty equal, so CBB Redshirted Hedlund for the future. CBB said this week that the team is better but "we haven't rounded the corner yet". I think CBB and the coaches believed that they could get by without Hedlund this year.
The idea that we're saving a better kicker would make me angrier than today's game.  No way Bielema isn't playing the kicker he thinks gives him the best chance. 

farmhawg

Quote from: Beaverfever on September 27, 2014, 09:30:22 pm
The idea that we're saving a better kicker would make me angrier than today's game.  No way Bielema isn't playing the kicker he thinks gives him the best chance. 
I would hope not.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Wildhog

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on September 27, 2014, 09:27:59 pm
The competition was a dead heat. They went with the experience. They made a mistake.

You've got two equal players.  One has experience.  The other does not.

Any coach would have made the exact same decision. 

1909/1964/1965/1977

Beaverfever

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on September 27, 2014, 09:27:59 pm
I don't get that.  If it was a dead heat between a solid, but unspectacular junior walk on with some experience then I could see giving him the nod.  Neither kicker had any resume but one we are spending good money on.  In that dead heat I'm taking the kicker with the accolades and assuming he's a gamer.  Bielema played the kicker he thought was better. 

Kevin

What field goal kicking experience did Henson enter the season with.
Curious decision
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

EastArkHog 47

If anybody thought our kicker was going to make a 44yd FG, they were drinking some serious Kool-Aid

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Wildhog on September 27, 2014, 09:32:51 pm

No, many would try to develop the one with a stronger skill set for the future.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Kevin on September 27, 2014, 09:35:37 pm
Curious decision
Being a college football player I guess

Wildhog

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on September 27, 2014, 09:36:27 pm
No, many would try to develop the one with a stronger skill set for the future.

Sorry, Mrs. Hedlund.  Cole will probably get another opportunity to win the job this year.  Hang in there.  I know it's tough for players and their parents, too.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Beaverfever on September 27, 2014, 09:30:22 pm

If you have a walkon kicker that on camp (from the distances attempted) is pretty much on par with the one on schollie, would you not RS the schollie kicker and get him ready for the future?

Beaverfever

Quote from: EastArkHog 47 on September 27, 2014, 09:36:17 pm
If anybody thought our kicker was going to make a 44yd FG, they were drinking some serious Kool-Aid
Nobody did, he shoudn't have put in that position.  Our offense was our best weapon and we made our freshman kicker and arkansas quality defense try to win the game.  Everyone knew A&M couldn't get the ball back. 

Beaverfever

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 27, 2014, 09:38:45 pm
If you have a walkon kicker that on camp (from the distances attempted) is pretty much on par with the one on schollie, would you not RS the schollie kicker and get him ready for the future?
NO NO HELLLLL NO.  Never ever. The future was today and even if it wasn't you don't get kickers ready in practice.  You get them ready by making them kick 45 yarders with the game on the line. 

Razorback_Mack

???
Quote from: Wildhog on September 27, 2014, 09:37:45 pm
Sorry, Mrs. Hedlund.  Cole will probably get another opportunity to win the job this year.  Hang in there.  I know it's tough for players and their parents, too.
If I'm Coles mom I guess I joined this board when Cole was in 6th grade. I'm a fortune teller

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on September 27, 2014, 09:35:37 pm
Curious decision

Made a FG against LSU under Johnelle

Soooie21

I don't know...bet he could have gotten a half mile closer on the missed fg..

Wildhog

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on September 27, 2014, 09:40:55 pm
???If I'm Coles mom I guess I joined this board when Cole was in 6th grade. I'm a fortune teller

Didn't know Cole's mom was a fortune teller.  Interesting line of work. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Kevin

Whoopie.  By potentially running a fake, told me they don't believe in him. If you don't. Let hedlund kick
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on September 27, 2014, 09:43:04 pm
Whoopie.  By potentially running a fake, told me they don't believe in him. If you don't. Let hedlund kick

Was he even there?

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Beaverfever on September 27, 2014, 09:40:34 pm
NO NO HELLLLL NO.  Never ever. The future was today and even if it wasn't you don't get kickers ready in practice.  You get them ready by making them kick 45 yarders with the game on the line.

And that is why you are not a coach. The future of this team IS NOT this year. I know it hurts to lose games, in particular like we did today, but you have to think about the future, and about building a consistent and complete team that can be the foundation for an ongoing program.

navyhog24

Quote from: EastArkHog 47 on September 27, 2014, 09:36:17 pm

It's not that he missed, but about how bad it was missed. The thing was nowhere to being close. It was the most god awful kick I've ever seen since before the Tejada days

Beaverfever

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 27, 2014, 09:45:09 pm
And that is why you are not a coach. The future of this team IS NOT this year. I know it hurts to lose games, in particular like we did today, but you have to think about the future, and about building a consistent and complete team that can be the foundation for an ongoing program.
The recruiting/media exposure lost this year would be a substantial trade off for one more year we might get for a kicker who's value is still unknown. 

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Wildhog on September 27, 2014, 09:41:51 pm
Didn't know Cole's mom was a fortune teller.  Interesting line of work.
Man you got me. I do what I do. I've gotta pay for these kicking clinics.

Soooie21

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Beaverfever on September 27, 2014, 09:53:37 pm
The recruiting/media exposure lost this year would be a substantial trade off for one more year we might get for a kicker who's value is still unknown.

That is a valid point. Do you think today's OT loss will hurt recruiting? The media has been praising the Hogs all evening.

N HOG

Quote from: Wildhog on September 27, 2014, 09:32:51 pm

Experience at what?

Wildhog

Quote from: N HOG on September 27, 2014, 10:31:09 pm

Experience at what?

Background
2013:
Henson participated in three games, appearing vs. Louisiana, vs. Auburn and at Ole Miss
Henson was 1-of-1 on PAT attempts and registered a 65-yard kickoff in Arkansas' season-opening victory vs. Louisiana

2012:
Henson appeared in two games, seeing action at No. 12 South Carolina and vs. No. 8 LSU, and scored seven points
All of his points came in the season finale against the Tigers, when he was 2-of-2 on field goals and 1-of-1 on PAT attempts
His field goal makes were from 25 yards in the third quarter and 17 yards in the fourth quarter

It's not just a ton of experience, but he's been out there before and paid his dues.  Oh, and there's that whole 'winning the job' thing.
1909/1964/1965/1977

N HOG

Quote from: Wildhog on September 27, 2014, 10:36:14 pm
Background
2013:
Henson participated in three games, appearing vs. Louisiana, vs. Auburn and at Ole Miss
Henson was 1-of-1 on PAT attempts and registered a 65-yard kickoff in Arkansas' season-opening victory vs. Louisiana

2012:
Henson appeared in two games, seeing action at No. 12 South Carolina and vs. No. 8 LSU, and scored seven points
All of his points came in the season finale against the Tigers, when he was 2-of-2 on field goals and 1-of-1 on PAT attempts
His field goal makes were from 25 yards in the third quarter and 17 yards in the fourth quarter

It's not just a ton of experience, but he's been out there before and paid his dues.  Oh, and there's that whole 'winning the job' thing.
So, I guess we were shocked at how badly this one missed.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 27, 2014, 09:45:09 pm

This is such BS. The coaches and players didn't go out there today playing for the future. They were playing to win today.  Winning that game against the No. 6 team in the country would have done more for the current team  and the future teams than yet again being heartbroken.

pigture perfect

I don't believe it's just a matter of Henson being better. I think it is a matter of red shirting for a purpose. Cole Hedlund is also a terrific punter. If he can red shirt this year, he can handle all the kicking duties for the next 4 years. He wasn't going to beat out SIH as the punter this year.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

N HOG

Quote from: texas tush hog on September 27, 2014, 10:55:01 pm

According to the announcers we have not made a field goal longer than 25 yards this year. Just like the statistics always show, when a kicker misses a field goal the opposition scores 83% of the time on the following possesion.
According to the preceding "stats" he has NEVER made one longer than 25 yards.

moses_007

Quote from: pigture perfect on September 27, 2014, 10:56:30 pm
I don't believe it's just a matter of Henson being better. I think it is a matter of red shirting for a purpose. Cole Hedlund is also a terrific punter. If he can red shirt this year, he can handle all the kicking duties for the next 4 years. He wasn't going to beat out SIH as the punter this year.
We recruited one of the nation's best punters in our 2015 class.  We don't need Hedlund to punt.