Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where Would An Upset Of Bama Rank

Started by Hogfaniam, September 28, 2014, 02:42:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogfaniam

Vs our other famous upsets?  Given where we are and have recently been?  Would it be the biggest ever?

Referencing LZH's thread.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=575950.50#lastPost
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

1 hog n eldo

Right up there with 2007 LSU. Unranked going into death valley and beating the #1 ranked LSU tigers. I think beating Alabama would actually top that game. Given where we are.

Hedgehog79

Just stop. Bama will curb stomp us. Yes we are improving but come on.

HSVhogfan2

Right up there with the Washington Generals beating the Harlem Globetrotters. Oh wait......... Did that ever happen?
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Hedgehog79 on September 28, 2014, 03:11:20 pm

We have 2 weeks to fantasize. 

The whole meaning of a monumental upset is to beat some one you have no business beating.  I say beating Bama would qualify.

How many people can fit on the field at DWRRS?  How far up Dickson would the goal posts make it?  Could one be set up on the Old Main Lawn?
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

jry04

I don't think we will beat Bama, but have you even watched Bama this season?

This is one of the worst Bama teams that Saban has had since his first season. I know that isn't saying much since most of his teams end up finishing with 10 or 11 wins, but this is not the dominant Bama of previous years. I think Auburn and A&M may beat them. Bama is ranked so high because they started the season ranked high, and until they lose they will not drop. However, everyone who has called one of their games this season has mentioned how they don't look as dominant this season as previous ones.

They lost a lot on their offensive line, and have holes in their secondary. They are much improved in the passing game, their line has not been very impressive this season, and they are playing more freshmen than usual under Saban. I bet we end up hanging with them for 3 quarters, and losing by 10-14 in the 4th.

Going into tomorrow, the Hogs had a 35% chance to beat Alabama according to the ESPN Power Index. A&M was a lower percentage than that.

1 hog n eldo

They have curbed stomped us the last 4-5 years. Sooner or later that will change. This years bama is not as strong as in years past. Why not this year!! Gus got lucky last year. Why not us?

PonderinHog

FootballFanatic89

Quote from: 1 hog n eldo on September 28, 2014, 03:21:07 pm
They have curbed stomped us the last 4-5 years. Sooner or later that will change. This years bama is not as strong as in years past. Why not this year!! Gus got lucky last year. Why not us?

You know only good teams tend to get lucky, right? You have to be good enough to be in the game to have "luck." Also, I don't think you know what it means to be lucky.

1 hog n eldo

Quote from: FootballFanatic89 on September 28, 2014, 03:30:00 pm
You know only good teams tend to get lucky, right? You have to be good enough to be in the game to have "luck." Also, I don't think you know what it means to be lucky.
Ok . So we are not good enough yet to have any luck. We might as well forfeit the rest of our games cause we aren't good enough to have luck.

JansterZ71

Quote from: 1 hog n eldo on September 28, 2014, 03:21:07 pm
LoL Gus vastly out coached Saban in last years Iron Bowl.  It wasn't luck hah.  Can BB out coach Saban?  If he does will Bama still win?  Arkansas still doesn't have the Jimmy's & Joes's to win a big game like that.
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

FootballFanatic89

Quote from: 1 hog n eldo on September 28, 2014, 04:10:01 pm
Ok . So we are not good enough yet to have any luck. We might as well forfeit the rest of our games cause we aren't good enough to have luck.

No, what I am telling you is you aren't good enough to beat a team like Bama. Usually, people on the losing side call teams lucky. I tell you what. AU was lucky on that hailmary pass last year against UGA, but guess what? They had to be a good enough team to compete and win a game in that fashion, but to call the Alabama game lucky? Yeah, you are a complete idiot. You won't be lucky enough for 48 whole minutes to beat an elite team. That makes zero sense.

Locutus_of_Boar

Arkansas has beaten a Top 5 opponent 15 times since AP rankings began in 1936

Wins over #1
Oct 17 1964 Texas Win 14 - 13  the most important upset ever
Oct 16 1965 Texas Win 27 - 24  the greatest win in Fayetteville
Oct 17 1981 Texas Win 42 - 11  the most improbable upset
Nov 23 2007 LSU Win 50 - 48  3OT win over eventual national champion LSU.

Wins over #2-#5
Jan 2 1978 Oklahoma Win 31 - 6  the most celebrated upset in school history
Dec 6 1975 Tex A&M Win 31 - 6 de-facto SWC championship game
Sep 14 1974 USC Win 22 - 7  win over eventual national champion USC
Jan 1 1969 Georgia Win 16 - 2  only Sugar Bowl win
Oct 10 1992 Tennessee Win 25 - 24 first great SEC upset
Nov 9 1946 Rice Win 7 - 0  the game that got WMS built
Nov 13 1999 Tennessee Win 28 - 24 Stoener's Revenge
Oct 20 1951 Texas Win 16 - 14  Pat Summeral's kicking beats the Horns
Sep 13 2003 Texas Win 38 - 28  Matt Jones wild game
Oct 20 1979 Texas Win 17 - 14  The loudest WMS game?
Oct 7 2006 Auburn Win 27 - 10  Go Fish!

1 hog n eldo

Quote from: FootballFanatic89 on September 28, 2014, 04:31:12 pm
No, what I am telling you is you aren't good enough to beat a team like Bama. Usually, people on the losing side call teams lucky. I tell you what. AU was lucky on that hailmary pass last year against UGA, but guess what? They had to be a good enough team to compete and win a game in that fashion, but to call the Alabama game lucky? Yeah, you are a complete idiot. You won't be lucky enough for 48 whole minutes to beat an elite team. That makes zero sense.
I think we are good enough this year with a little luck we could pull the upset. You don't have to be great to have a ball bounce your way. I bet you thought we would never beat LSU in 07. It's college football. Saban ain't staying on top of the world forever. We may get beat 48-17 but who knows its a dang home game we are steadily improving we got two weeks to get ready. I guess its a sin to say with some luck we can shock the world!

RockyMtnHog

The Hogs can play with the top 10 teams.  We've already proven that twice this year.  The good thing is we get Bama at home at it will not be 52-0 like it has been for the past two years.

If we do not beat ourselves like we did yesterday, I predict a Razorback upset.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

King

Like the 2007 LSU win, it would be a highlight of a season that could have been more.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on September 28, 2014, 04:56:28 pm
Arkansas has beaten a Top 5 opponent 15 times since AP rankings began in 1936

Wins over #1
Oct 17 1964 Texas Win 14 - 13  the most important upset ever
Oct 16 1965 Texas Win 27 - 24  the greatest win in Fayetteville
Oct 17 1981 Texas Win 42 - 11  the most improbable upset
Nov 23 2007 LSU Win 50 - 48  3OT win over eventual national champion LSU.

Wins over #2-#5
Jan 2 1978 Oklahoma Win 31 - 6  the most celebrated upset in school history
Dec 6 1975 Tex A&M Win 31 - 6 de-facto SWC championship game
Sep 14 1974 USC Win 22 - 7  win over eventual national champion USC
Jan 1 1969 Georgia Win 16 - 2  only Sugar Bowl win
Oct 10 1992 Tennessee Win 25 - 24 first great SEC upset
Nov 9 1946 Rice Win 7 - 0  the game that got WMS built
Nov 13 1999 Tennessee Win 28 - 24 Stoener's Revenge
Oct 20 1951 Texas Win 16 - 14  Pat Summeral's kicking beats the Horns
Sep 13 2003 Texas Win 38 - 28  Matt Jones wild game
Oct 20 1979 Texas Win 17 - 14  The loudest WMS game?
Oct 7 2006 Auburn Win 27 - 10  Go Fish!

what was Andre Ware's team ranked?