Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What was the first real upset you remember?

Started by LZH, September 26, 2014, 10:32:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PonderinHog

welchog

Hoggie17

On October 17, #8 Arkansas beat the #1 Longhorns at Austin, 14-13. Arkansas finished the season undefeated and beat Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl.  It was the first of many trips, for me, to see the Razorbacks in both football and basketball.  The 60's were great years to be a Hog!

Phil D

Mine is the 78 Orange bowl, No one gave us a chance in Hades to win that game. :razorback:
GO HOGS!!!!!!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on September 26, 2014, 10:32:13 pm
As a kid or teenager, what was the first major upset that the Hogs pulled off that you can remember?  Doesn't have to be a #1 team or even a top 25 team....just a big game that we weren't supposed to win.

Me?  OU in the Orange Bowl in '78.  After that would have to be smoking #1 Texas' arse in 1981.

I don't know, but I'd guess that A&M is about a 14 point favorite.  Made me think of upsets in years past.

First time I was real upset was when this guy came on Hogville to complain about our coach's tweeting....

Or were you talking about football games?  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Count De Money

1964 14 - 13 win over Texas. Hogs stopped Ernie Koy on a2 point conversion for the win.

BR

Quote from: LZH on September 26, 2014, 10:32:13 pm
As a kid or teenager, what was the first major upset that the Hogs pulled off that you can remember?  Doesn't have to be a #1 team or even a top 25 team....just a big game that we weren't supposed to win.

Me?  OU in the Orange Bowl in '78.  After that would have to be smoking #1 Texas' arse in 1981.

I don't know, but I'd guess that A&M is about a 14 point favorite.  Made me think of upsets in years past.
This...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

HatfieldHog

It was the '78 Orange Bowl for me too!  From OU's first possession "Elvis Peacock" got his bandana knocked off!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Piggfoot

Quote from: popcornhog on September 27, 2014, 05:39:32 am
That was the biggest upset? Two top 10 teams?
Huh?

For me it was an upset. Arkansas had lost their last three straight bowl appearances. So my hopes weren't too high. They were playing in the Cotton bowl after Texas went for Two and failed. Going for two was common then when no one wanted a tie. Plus me being there made it more memorable. I remember talking to an elderly Nebraska fan in the hotel lobby when a lady came in decked out and leading several small pigs on leashes. The man turned and said you people are crazy. It was great.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

LZH

Quote from: secfan30 on September 27, 2014, 07:39:53 am
You and me have the same memory. Both of those were mine. Although I don't remember a lot of the 78 Orange Bowl, I more remember my dad being nervous about the game and the. How excited he was throughout and my mom, The Texas Fan, griped a bit but made a ton of food.

I don't remember a lot about the Orange Bowl either - I just remember sitting in the living room floor in my pj's watching it with my dad.  The SMU game that year was my first, so I was just getting into the Hogs then.  That was the game when everyone threw oranges onto the field, and one splattered on my chair and ruined my white jeans (hey, it was the '70's).

And since it's A&M day, remember the 1986 game in Fayetteville?  They were a Top 5 team I think, and we were ranked somewhere in the teens.  I absolutely hated their QB Kevin Murray (and so did our players)...what an azz.  It was a slugfest, and the loudest I'd ever heard Razorback stadium up to that point.  We won, but I think it kinda drained our tank - a month or so later against OU in the Orange Bowl we were flat as a pancake and got ran out of the building.

TeufelHog

No doubt in my mind . . . OU in the Orange Bowl in '78.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: LZH on September 26, 2014, 10:42:21 pm
We beat USC in '74, but that was before my time.  However, it sure hasn't stopped my uncles and older cousins from talking about it 'til this day.

this one is my first true to memory upset.  and, i was at the game.
The rest of the frog.

ms_hog

ballz2thewall

The rest of the frog.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Count De Money on September 27, 2014, 08:22:55 am
1964 14 - 13 win over Texas. Hogs stopped Ernie Koy on a2 point conversion for the win.

Not quite. Koy scored the second Texas (spit) TD to make it 14-13. Texas quarterback Kristynik threw an incomplete pass on the 2 point conversion.

Texas had subbed  in a fast small running back, Hix Green for the conversion. We spotted it, decided it was a pass, called a rarely-used pass rush stunt and Jim Finch hurried Kristynik on the throw.

HiggiePiggy

The fumble Matt jones had at home against Texas.  ALL WE NEEDED WAS A FIELD GOAL. 

One I can remember well was the 2007 Arkansas at LSU. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

greghog

seasonhog

Quote from: LZH on September 27, 2014, 12:19:23 am
You were 14 and I was 9......what memories.  We were still the Cardinals in those days, yes?
Quote from: seasonhog on September 26, 2014, 11:10:40 pm

We beat Joplin HS in 1899........11 to 10

The game was in Nov,...& it was cold......i could not attend because i had no shoes....

The game was played on the hill at the U of A.......be side the tiny school building.....

In the 4th quarter we were able to run downhill.......which help us to pull the upset.

Go Hogs.......

Misty Mountain Hog

Arkansas over Oklahoma 78 Orange Bowl!  Still get chills thinking about that game!

PGTIGERHOG

1971 Texas in Little Rock.  I was in 2nd grade.  In the rain sitting in south end zone.  Beat them with smothering defense and Joe Ferguson and Dickie Morton leading the offense.  Fan for life after that.  ::hornsdown::

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Madhog2020

1981 Texas - I was in 4th grade.  Me and my friend gave an older girl (7th grade or so), who was from Texas, hell on the school bus about the game telling her Arkansas was going to kick Tx's ass.  She lived in the neighborhood so even after we were dropped off in the hood we continued to give her hell about it to the point that she was actually crying by the time we made it to the house.  Of course, it was the best day ever when it came to fruition.

secfan30

Quote from: LZH on September 27, 2014, 08:45:36 am
I don't remember a lot about the Orange Bowl either - I just remember sitting in the living room floor in my pj's watching it with my dad.  The SMU game that year was my first, so I was just getting into the Hogs then.  That was the game when everyone threw oranges onto the field, and one splattered on my chair and ruined my white jeans (hey, it was the '70's).

And since it's A&M day, remember the 1986 game in Fayetteville?  They were a Top 5 team I think, and we were ranked somewhere in the teens.  I absolutely hated their QB Kevin Murray (and so did our players)...what an azz.  It was a slugfest, and the loudest I'd ever heard Razorback stadium up to that point.  We won, but I think it kinda drained our tank - a month or so later against OU in the Orange Bowl we were flat as a pancake and got ran out of the building.

That 86 game was around thanksgiving wasn't it? If so yes I do remember it vividly. aTm had some lbr's back in the day.

chitwnhog

Quote from: PGTIGERHOG on September 27, 2014, 09:58:42 am
1971 Texas in Little Rock.  I was in 2nd grade.  In the rain sitting in south end zone.  Beat them with smothering defense and Joe Ferguson and Dickie Morton leading the offense.  Fan for life after that.  ::hornsdown::

Oh geeze yes...forgot this one...the parking lots around the stadium were nothin but mud after the game. I remember the mud being caked on my shoes by the time my Father n I got to our car after the game.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 26, 2014, 10:35:49 pm
Arkansas 16 Georgia 2

Yup.  Hogs weren't an underdog too often back in the sixties.

PORKULATOR

Texas in '81
my mom p!ssed everyone off praying Texas would go for two and get it til they realized it won her $250.
wps
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

razorbacker3

]
Quote from: Count De Money on September 27, 2014, 08:22:55 am
Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on September 27, 2014, 09:04:43 am
Not quite. Koy scored the second Texas (spit) TD to make it 14-13. Texas quarterback Kristynik threw an incomplete pass on the 2 point conversion.

Texas had subbed  in a fast small running back, Hix Green for the conversion. We spotted it, decided it was a pass, called a rarely-used pass rush stunt and Jim Finch hurried Kristynik on the throw.]
Yes, and in Austin. They were the defending National Champs and ranked No.1. I was there in Fayetteville in 65 when we again beat No. 1 Texas for the 2nd year in a row.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

mhsbc59

I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

Calling All Hogs

78 Orange Bowl. I was present for the 81 Texas game which was amazing.  Most people assumed Arkansas was going to get clobbered so tickets were easy to get at the gate.

Großer Kriegschwein

'89 Houston. Watched that at the stadium. I was 13. Probably that late because i finally understood what underdog really meant. And of course Grovey threw the ball. Guess it was just more memorable, maybe not as much of an upset.
This is my non-signature signature.

PonderinHog

Qbackinman

1964 14-13 over No. 1 Texas.

For one I actually saw, 1965 on TV, Arkansas 27-24 over Texas.