Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Was the tripping call legit?

Started by Peppa Pig, September 27, 2014, 09:02:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Peppa Pig

Please tell me it was.

We just got home from the game and that was the difference. Up 21 in the 4th and it's over. I'm sure it's been discussed here but I can't find it. Anyone have video?  Was it an obvious penalty? They wouldn't show it at the stadium at all.

cubsfan5150

QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Peppa Pig

Ok. Thanks. I'm not saying it wasn't. I just couldn't see it from the stands. I hope it was because it would be devastating if not.

Fort Dweller

He got him a second time.  That's what drew the flag.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

BOAR_N2BWILD

Did he do it? Yes
Was it away from the play? Yes
Would it have been called on Bama or Auburn or aTm? absolutely not
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on September 27, 2014, 09:07:10 pm
Did he do it? Yes

100% correct.

Poker_hog

Did he do it? Yes

This.  Skipper is getting a reputation as a dirty player.  Refs were watching him closely.  Both calls he should have gotten away with but didn't.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Danny J

snoblind

Quote from: Fort Dweller on September 27, 2014, 09:06:48 pm
He got him a second time.  That's what drew the flag.

Quote from: Poker_hog on September 27, 2014, 09:09:15 pm
This.  Skipper is getting a reputation as a dirty player.  Refs were watching him closely.  Both calls he should have gotten away with but didn't.

Yep, kid has to play smart.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Danny J on September 27, 2014, 09:10:46 pm
For sure legit....

So was all the holding on Flowers that never got called...

razorhog52

The hold was more iffy than the trip. He's becoming known as a dirty player and just like Dennis Rodman or Ndomikong Suh you want get the benefit of the doubt.

RazrRila99

Quote from: Poker_hog on September 27, 2014, 09:09:15 pm

This was my exact thought on his first penalty.  His reputation is starting to precede his playing.  He needs to cool it for a few games then some of the hightened vision will subside.  He's bordering on being a great one, he just needs to keep his cool.

rlreev01

Yes, it was legit.  Skinner had two calls that cost TD's today.  Needs to play under more control.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

hogsanity

The bad thing on both the big penalties was that both were on meaningless contact.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Danny J

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on September 27, 2014, 09:12:06 pm
So was all the holding on Flowers that never got called...
Yes and on several plays they were blatantly blocking in the back as well. That doesn't mean the trip wasn't a legit call. It wasn't a phantom call. What hurts the most and what I have said for years are the no calls. Allowing one team to hold and the gets away with it doesn't mean the one who gets called for it wasn't holding just that it is not being called equal. No debate there.

It is much like basketball in that you have to adjust and play smarter if you know you are being called for something....right or wrong. Take the whistle out of their mouths. That is the problem I had with our basketball team last year. If on the road the refs are calling it tight then stop reaching and grabbing.

TNRazorbacker

Definitely legit and done at an absolutely ridiculous time because J Will was already up the field.

Hollywood_HOGan45

forrest city joe

Did he do it? Yes
BINGO! +1000. and that's the problem i have with the sec refs when it comes to teams like Arkansas.they would not dare call that on Bama. NEVER! when is the last time you saw Bama get 2 TD's called back in a big game? or any game for that matter ?

moses_007

Skipper was lying on the turf and raised his leg up and tripped the guy.  There was no point in him doing that, period.  The ref saw it, and threw the flag.

PonderinHog

Sir Oinksalot

...the tripping call was ligit, but, to call a touchdown back way away from the play like that would have been a good no-call, imo...

Especially the second touch called back......people we must remember where we are...the SEC, slime football, and
you are just not going to come in as a nobody and knock off a high ranked team without a lil fight...
from Birminham........it's just the way it is...

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

hogsanity

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on September 27, 2014, 09:21:43 pm
Horrible call.

Behind the play.

Horrible decision to trip the guy, behind the play.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 27, 2014, 09:22:27 pm
BINGO! +1000. and that's the problem i have with the sec refs when it comes to teams like Arkansas.they would not dare call that on Bama. NEVER! when is the last time you saw Bama get 2 TD's called back in a big game? or any game for that matter ?

So, when AR was in the SWC, all you heard was crying over the TX refs. Now AR always gets screwed in the SEC. Maybe AR should go independent.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

redeye

Legit or not, when was the last time anyone saw that called in a game?

Hogarusa

Where are you guys coming up with this rule that because it took place away from where the ball was then it shouldnt be a penalty?  Thats not how it works.  If an infraction happens anywhere on the field and the ref sees it, then a flag is thrown.  It does not matter one bit if its 60 yards from where the play is.

redeye

Quote from: Hogarusa on September 27, 2014, 09:30:31 pm
Where are you guys coming up with this rule that because it took place away from where the ball was then it shouldnt be a penalty?  Thats not how it works.  If an infraction happens anywhere on the field and the ref sees it, then a flag is thrown.  It does not matter one bit if its 60 yards from where the play is.

True.

I guess the refs weren't looking when they missed the false start on A&M in OT.

B501

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on September 27, 2014, 09:27:29 pm
So, when AR was in the SWC, all you heard was crying over the TX refs. Now AR always gets screwed in the SEC. Maybe AR should go independent.

refs DO protect top ranked teams in the SEC no doubt about it

ricepig

Quote from: redeye on September 27, 2014, 09:28:48 pm
Legit or not, when was the last time anyone saw that called in a game?

You see it all the time when o-linemen get beat on a speed rush, usually not on a run away from the play. Correct call, just a picky one.

forrest city joe

Quote from: moses_007 on September 27, 2014, 09:22:42 pm
Skipper was lying on the turf and raised his leg up and tripped the guy.  There was no point in him doing that, period.  The ref saw it, and threw the flag.
Would he had throw that flag on Alabama? i say no.

orvillesghost

We lost this game because in the last 10 minutes, we couldn't make the necessary plays on all sides of the ball including the kicking game. A & M did.

We played very well today but sagged at the end..depth may still be playing a part.

The call was legit all the way...

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

He committed a penalty on the play, right in front of an official. Yes, it had nothing to do with JWill's 57 yard gain, but that's what makes it all the more frustrating.

We had been abusing #23, a true freshman FS all day. Why on Earth anyone would feel the need to trip the kid right in front of an official on the other side of the field who had no chance to make a play, I'll never understand..

Skipper is a stud player, but he is being watched by officials closely, all LTs are, but especially our #76. That was a dumb play that completely swung the momentum their way.

I appreciate how hard he plays and hustles, but we must play hard and SMART! We have a smaller margin for error vs SEC West teams because the talent of our opponents is usually at least somewhat better than ours right now.

We do not have the playmakers at WR to overcome DUMB penalties, fumbled center snaps, regardless of whose fault they were, and playcalling that ranges from going cutesy when your base plays are working to ultaconservative and back with no rhyme or reason at times.

Not  to mention receivers who stop short of the 1st down marker by 3-4 yards on 3rd down at least twice.

I am convinced that BA's completion pct. would be very good to outstanding if he didn't have to throw the ball away so much due to WRs not getting separation.

It was telling when Danielson said he asked the A&M DC about our receivers and he only mentioned Hunter Henry...

Hatcher is decent, he made some good plays today, but he is not an SEC #1 WR. He could develop into a good #2 or 3 maybe. We don't presently have an SEC level #1 at that position. Cornelius and Edwards have good potential but are freshmen. Hollister is a good possession guy.

KJ Hill, JoJo Robinson or someone else will be needed in 2015 to make an impact. Our talent at LB and even the secondary is much improved from last year, but the WR talent is still lagging behind. It's the least talented position on the team IMO.
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

ricepig

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 27, 2014, 09:35:21 pm
Would he had throw that flag on Alabama? i say no.

Depends, if Bama was out of the race, yeah......

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: hogsanity on September 27, 2014, 09:27:08 pm
Horrible decision to trip the guy, behind the play.

Let the players decide the game. That didn't happen.

ATM got away with countless holds and a false start on the winning td.

Kevin

Did he do it? Yes

Totally agree
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

forrest city joe

Quote from: orvillesghost on September 27, 2014, 09:35:53 pm
We lost this game because in the last 10 minutes, we couldn't make the necessary plays on all sides of the ball including the kicking game. A & M did.

We played very well today but sagged at the end..depth may still be playing a part.

The call was legit all the way...
Would they have made that call on Alabama. answer the question. i say hell no.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

EastArkHog 47

See it however you choose but it was still a BS call

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: redeye on September 27, 2014, 09:31:55 pm
True.

THIS

Hogarusa

Quote from: redeye on September 27, 2014, 09:31:55 pm
True.

So tired of Hog fans always blaming the refs.  The refs more than likely missed several calls on both teams.  They didnt miss the Dan Skipper penalty due to it being an obvious penalty by a guy who is 6'10.  If he doesnt do that, then the Hogs dont need to rely on the refs missing a penalty in OT.  Every losing team finds blame in the refs. 

jry04

It was without a doubt a penalty. However, it was 30 yards away from the play since Williams was already about 25-30 yards down field. It wouldn't be called on most teams, or on most plays. Just like pushing and shoving away from the play is never called when it is irrelevant. Most officials let minor stuff go when it doesn't give the team committing it an upper hand.

With that said, Skipper should have never did it. He negated 2 scores with 2 penalties. We win the game with ease if we get that.

Kevin

Not blaming the refs in just our game.  Just look around the league and see who gets calls and who doesn't

TulsaJack32

Quote from: b501 on September 27, 2014, 09:32:26 pm
refs DO protect top ranked teams in the SEC no doubt about it

I had forgotten that one.  I remember Tebow's phantom yard. 

Iwastherein1969

totally legit call....I think this Billy Badazz thing has gone to Skipper's head a bit....his block meant nothing as far as the success of the play, but everything as to whether we won or lost today....we get that TD and it's over
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

N HOG

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 27, 2014, 09:22:27 pm

Someone answer this - has Bama EVER had a TD called back in a close game?

atekido

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on September 27, 2014, 09:21:43 pm
Horrible call.

Behind the play.

The call was spot on. The act of Tripping was Stupid. 

peakhog

Ritter and the "so called best of the SEC" crew always get the CBS games and they usually make some horrendous calls.

Hogarusa

Of course its just not Hog fans that complain about the refs after a loss. Its most likely every fan base.  Its just a sorry attitude to have.  Hogs made plenty of mistakes and had plenty of opportunities to win this game and not have some calls by the refs impact the game.  They didnt capitalize.  Learn and move on

PorkerOinker

It was behind the play and Skipper deliberately kicked the guy in the shin, could've been called personal foul just as easily as tripping. Inexcusable play on Dan's part, he will learn from it hopefully.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Peppa Pig on September 27, 2014, 09:02:54 pm
Please tell me it was.

We just got home from the game and that was the difference. Up 21 in the 4th and it's over. I'm sure it's been discussed here but I can't find it. Anyone have video?  Was it an obvious penalty? They wouldn't show it at the stadium at all.

The SEC has a vested interest in keeping their high-ranked teams ranked high and that call will be made 100% of the time when the underdog appears to put the nail in the coffin of the SEC "favorite".