Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Skipper

Started by SquidBilly, September 27, 2014, 07:07:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SquidBilly

We sometimes forget that this guy is a true sophomore who was forced into playing early because of a talent deficiency on the line.  Yes he made a couple of mistakes today that hurt but that kid pours everything he has out on the field.  He is aggressive and that sometimes gets the better of him.  He's no more responsible for this loss than anyone else.  It was still 28-14 after that tripping call.  That wasn't a two TD mistake and certainly didn't keep us from scoring in subsequent posessions.

SquidBilly

Quote from: GatorHog on September 27, 2014, 07:09:04 pm
Better put on your flame-retardant suit OP.

Doesn't bother me.  We were creating nicknames for him just last week because of his aggressiveness and now some are bashing him for two mistakes made with that same aggression.

HawgcallWPS

The trip was dumb but he will learn from that one. Personally I cannot fault any of our guys for how they played today. We fielded a quality SEC West team today. Things are looking bright and I like where we are headed.

The real Hogules

Quote from: alohawg on September 27, 2014, 07:12:12 pm
Please, if he doesn't do that we win, end of story.
Yes and if our secondary had played better we'd have won anyway, so what's your point???
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Rhog

Agreed.
Fumbled snap was big too at the end. We were driving down their throat.
Too many missed opportunities today.

SquidBilly

Quote from: rude1 on September 27, 2014, 07:10:40 pm
It was a senseless play for Skipper on a guy who had no effect on the play. There simply is no sugar coating that one.

But Skipper didn't know that at the time.  No way he knew where the back was because he was on the ground.  I DVR'd it and to me it looks like he was trying to roll over and caught the guy with his leg.  Didn't look intentional but by the letter of the rule was a trip.

Wayne Watson

Please don't come here to bash a player.  Wanna do that, go somewhere else.

Thanks.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Professor Pig

lack of coaching. skipper played extremely hard today; he needs better leadership AND play calling.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Bret Squealema on September 27, 2014, 07:15:26 pm
But Skipper didn't know that at the time.  No way he knew where the back was because he was on the ground.  I DVR'd it and to me it looks like he was trying to roll over and caught the guy with his leg.  Didn't look intentional but by the letter of the rule was a trip.

That's what I saw.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Letsroll1200

With Big Dan I take the good with the bad. Be aggressive Be mean but be smart also.

FSHog67

When a player makes a terrible mistake that cost their team big time, in this case probably the game, some on here need to admit it.  He needs frankly grow up, some of these "quote mistakes" are jr. high. and he would be running laps all next practice. jmo

three hog night

Quote from: HawgcallWPS on September 27, 2014, 07:12:35 pm
The trip was dumb but he will learn from that one. Personally I cannot fault any of our guys for how they played today. We fielded a quality SEC West team today. Things are looking bright and I like where we are headed.

Yep we are going to be fine and appear headed towards a bowl with the TEAM playing the way it is.   
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Laughing Hog

It wasn't a smart play, but if he was playing for the mighty Gumps the refs 'wouldn't have ever seen it'
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: Wayne Watson on September 27, 2014, 07:15:52 pm
Please don't come here to bash a player.  Wanna do that, go somewhere else.

Thanks.
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

ShadowTheHedgehog

When you play young players all over the field you will run into stuff like this. They will learn from it and come back stronger.

three hog night

This was not on any one player.   Our safeties and LB's are not high enough SEC caliber to compete with the Elite offenses.  Our team depth chart is upside with Fr and Sophs, and those Young players showed their youth and inexperience today.  We do not have a FG kicker like Hocker.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Sir Oinksalot

...it was a mistake in a game of many mistakes for the Hogs.....the refs. Were glad it happened to take them
off the hook, remember it's the SEC and you don't come in as a nobody and knock off a high ranked team
without a fight...ahaha....the "tripper" 'name is bs like just about everything from a
5 second sound bite society...

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

redeye

The tripping call was pathetic.  It should have been a no-call and I'm not even convinced he did it on purpose.

We had 2 TD's called back and we're a team that doesn't make many mistakes.  We still finished with fewer penalties then A&M, but 2 of those we did have were killers.  In other words, officiating decided the game.

HogShat

He is earning a reputation. He better play clean. His name might as well be Dan Suh. He is in the crosshairs of the zebras every play.

BigChief14

Quote from: FSHog67 on September 27, 2014, 07:20:05 pm
When a player makes a terrible mistake that cost their team big time, in this case probably the game, some on here need to admit it.  He needs frankly grow up, some of these "quote mistakes" are jr. high. and he would be running laps all next practice. jmo

How many 19-20 YO guys do you know?
They ALL do really dumb things sometimes.

Dark Helmet Hog

Skipper's still the man.

Hogfaniam

He will never leg whip (and it was a weak one at that) again.  He knows what he did and I bet the first person he apologized to was JWill.  It sux that he got caught and it sux that an official injected himself into a situation so far removed from where the ball was at the time.  Technically it was the correct call.  If any officials are on here, please use discretion when making a call like this. 
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

forrest city joe

Quote from: Bret Squealema on September 27, 2014, 07:07:26 pm
We sometimes forget that this guy is a true sophomore who was forced into playing early because of a talent deficiency on the line.  Yes he made a couple of mistakes today that hurt but that kid pours everything he has out on the field.  He is aggressive and that sometimes gets the better of him.  He's no more responsible for this loss than anyone else.  It was still 28-14 after that tripping call.  That wasn't a two TD mistake and certainly didn't keep us from scoring in subsequent posessions.
Love me some Skipper. he is an outstanding player. but he has got to face the fact that the refs are watching every little thing he does because other coaches and players have been crying about how dirty he is. and that trip proves it. why is the ref watching what Skipper is doing, when the play is being ran way on the other side away from him? tells me the ref was looking for something to call on him. and that first holding call on him that took a TD away from H. Henry, was pure BS.

hehawg

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on September 27, 2014, 07:19:54 pm
Difference between a stupid holding call and a dirty play. He purposely leg-whipped a guy. Cost AR the game

NO he didn't did you watch the entire game? Obviously not or you wouldn't be blaming the loss on (1) individual player. Or are you a troll with nothing better to do?
#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

Razor1997

I don't think he'll make another bad mistake like that again, and I have a lot of respect for the guy, and there was plenty of blame to go around for that meltdown at the end.  If any one of a dozen things don't happen, then nobody remembers the Skipper play.

But dammit, I want an SEC win... and now we have to keep waiting.

reddogjcss

He's doing a great job just a little blip!

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: panchodeana on September 27, 2014, 07:43:43 pm
Skipper's penalties were killers. As were the two fumbles snaps from center. And also Trey Flowers' offsides on a crucial third down play. Sprinkle's unsportsmanlike fir taunting was bush league too. I was amazed at the number of stupid penalties and mistakes for a team that supposedly plays 'clean'. Higs under Biekema are developing a reputation for beating themselves and for choking away games (Miss. State, LSU, and now this game). Bielema 0-10 in SEC. He just doesn't know how to win in this league, apparently. His team choked big-time today.

You really expected to win some games last year after the year of Slappy the Clown?  Do you so quickly forget how broken this team was and how the recruiting class suffered?

The mess of Petrinogate and Slappy did more damage to our program than a lot of you want to admit.  And we are going to compete in every game this year.  I expect to win two of LSU, MSU, OM, GA, and MO.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

forrest city joe

Quote from: panchodeana on September 27, 2014, 07:43:43 pm
Skipper's penalties were killers. As were the two fumbles snaps from center. And also Trey Flowers' offsides on a crucial third down play. Sprinkle's unsportsmanlike fir taunting was bush league too. I was amazed at the number of stupid penalties and mistakes for a team that supposedly plays 'clean'. Higs under Biekema are developing a reputation for beating themselves and for choking away games (Miss. State, LSU, and now this game). Bielema 0-10 in SEC. He just doesn't know how to win in this league, apparently. His team choked big-time today.
Pure BS. coach B is a hell of a coach. and has already improved this program by leaps and bounds, in only a year. i see great things ahead in the years to come.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Did the refs call the clipping that negated the other TD against Skipper as well?

spiritof92

I love mean, nasty O-linemen.  Skipper is still relatively young and I'm sure he learned a lesson today that he will apply moving forward.  It's things like this that separate the sophomores from the seniors. 

ricepig

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on September 27, 2014, 07:19:54 pm
Difference between a stupid holding call and a dirty play. He purposely leg-whipped a guy. Cost AR the game

How do you know they wouldn't score 35 unanswered, it didn't cost any more than the secondary play, you take the good with the bad.

Maddhog

Quote from: FSHog67 on September 27, 2014, 07:20:05 pm

Of course a true sophomore needs to "grow up".  Won't it be awesome when he's all mature like our fans.  Can't wait to see that.   
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Bret Squealema on September 27, 2014, 07:07:26 pm

I agree.  No one feels worse than he, but that one play did not cost us the game.  People need to lay off of the players, especially when it comes to ONE PLAY.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

There's no doubt the leg whip was intentional. Split second decision and it cost us. I can live with the holding call, if he doesn't hold we may not get the pass off. Bad timing no doubt. Skipper just HATES to get beat, and it's his strength, but it cost us here.

Fumbled snaps, missed FG, 87 yard bombs, plenty of blame to go around.

Man I'm depressed!

spiritof92

Why should Skipper sit out?  It's obvious he knew what he did hurt the team and he was frustrated with himself after the play.  Young players don't learn from sitting on the bench.  They learn from making mistakes and filing them under "lessons learned" and building on that.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Piglet Dispersion Syndrome on September 27, 2014, 08:03:21 pm
There's no doubt the leg whip was intentional. Split second decision and it cost us. I can live with the holding call, if he doesn't hold we may not get the pass off. Bad timing no doubt. Skipper just HATES to get beat, and it's his strength, but it cost us here.

Fumbled snaps, missed FG, 87 yard bombs, plenty of blame to go around.

Man I'm depressed!
That holding call was BS. and i can not accept calls like that against Arkansas. it helped cost us this game.

Hogball

This happens on almost every play--SEC ref was looking for a reason on to throw a flag

grayhawg

Quote from: panchodeana on September 27, 2014, 08:07:54 pm
One other thing: I watched Skipper walk off the field. , holding his face mask with both hands. He knows he blew that game. And everybody in that locker room knows his penalties cost them the game. And every player is going to wonder if there are any consequences for what he did. Skipper ought to sit out a few games. And maybe lose his job.
Did you ever wonder how many of the 285 rushing yards came behind Skippers blocking?

Qbackinman

Quote from: three hog night on September 27, 2014, 07:20:51 pm
Yep we are going to be fine and appear headed towards a bowl with the TEAM playing the way it is.   

Wrong. Hogs are much better and improving, but you find me three more wins on this schedule (and will spot you UAB.)

spiritof92

Let's forfeit all the remaining games and just sit at home.  That will force ALL the players to learn their lesson and prevent them from making mistakes during the 2015 season.  They will have omgsuperpowers!

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hogball on September 27, 2014, 08:12:32 pm
This happens on almost every play--SEC ref was looking for a reason on to throw a flag
Yep. and that's what im trying to get over to folks. why was the ref watching Skipper, when the play was way on the other side of the field? and had no bearing on the play? he was looking for something to call. and it killed our football team.

hoglady

The trip call on Skipper was a momentum shift that breathed life into A&M.
We score there we most likely finish out the game with confidence and swagger.
Instead we finish it praying for an A&M mistake so we can hold the lead.
Unfortunately if was a correct game changing call.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

BigChief14

Hogarusa

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 27, 2014, 08:23:46 pm
Yep. and that's what im trying to get over to folks. why was the ref watching Skipper, when the play was way on the other side of the field? and had no bearing on the play? he was looking for something to call. and it killed our football team.

The ref was watching the line, which was his assignment.  People need to quit making excuses and it doesnt matter where the ball is at the point of the penalty.  It was a clear penalty and an awful mental mistake.  If he doesnt do it, ref has no penalty to call and the Hogs are inside the 1 with the  chance to go up 35-14 and basically put the game out of hand.  He'll learn from the mistake and move on.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

hawgeathawg

Guess most of you missed the replay showing the actually tripping call. He got by with the first one, and then intentionally tripped the guy, knocking him down. There
's plenty of blame to go around, but that one really hurt. It would have put us up three scores, assuming we were able to score from the one.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: hoglady on September 27, 2014, 08:26:23 pm
The trip call on Skipper was a momentum shift that breathed life into A&M.
We score there we most likely finish out the game with confidence and swagger.
Instead we finish it praying for an A&M mistake so we can hold the lead.
Unfortunately if was a correct game changing call.

You could say the same thing about several plays during this game.  SEVERAL.

And you don't know what would have "most likely" happened after.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Danny J

It was for sure 100% the right call. It did have no bearing on the play but the ref who threw the flag was designated to watching line play not like a fan or a cameraman trying to follow the ball carrier down the field.

hoglady

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on September 27, 2014, 08:30:19 pm
You could say the same thing about several plays during this game.  SEVERAL.

And you don't know what would have "most likely" happened after.

I know.
But you could just feel that momentum shift.
Got to make the other team make a play for that shift- not just give it to them.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

TeufelHog

Quote from: Qbackinman on September 27, 2014, 08:22:10 pm
Wrong. Hogs are much better and improving, but you find me three more wins on this schedule (and will spot you UAB.)

Seriously . . . UAB goes down and LSU, and Mizzou both are EASILY BEATABLE by this team!  If you can't see that after today you are blind.

FATHAWG08

Skipper is a Hog & proud to be one. This will make him a better player. This game will make all of them better. We got 2 losses to 2 top 6 teams in the nation. This staff has us way ahead of were anybody thought we would be including me. You have 2 choices either your with this team or your not. If your not go some place else.
I love off season Football!!