Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

21 point dogs

Started by 010HogFan, July 29, 2014, 11:45:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

010HogFan

Betting line says Auburn by 3 TDs...

I don't care if they're national runner ups, I feel like that's pretty disrespectful for the first game of the season against an SECW opponent after losing your best player and your quarterback status in limbo. What say you?

ZERO

Well, they did beat us by 18 at home last year. No one except Hog fans are expecting us to go out there and actually compete.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

hoghearted

It's up to the players to prove them wrong.

We shall see.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

The Hogfather

It is moving in the right direction.  Started around 24.  I would play the Hogs all the way to +17 with great confidence.  I think it will be much closer than that, but I wouldn't put my money on anything under 17, I don't think.

At +24, I think the Hogs provide HUGE value.

HOGINTENNESSEE

So you are saying there is a chance

Jamie Jones

The line is setting Auburn up to fail a lot of gamblers. How far do they fall when Arkansas wins outright?
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

The NewEra

Quote from: 010HogFan on July 29, 2014, 11:45:33 am

I don't care if they're national runner ups, I feel like that's pretty disrespectful for the first game of the season against an SECW opponent after losing your best player and your quarterback status in limbo. What say you?

I Love It!!!!  Great bulletin board material.

cosmodrum

They're very talented, and the QB situation is most certainly not up in the air. Nick Marshall will absolutely play.
Go away, batin'

PygmalionEffect

I've mentioned this before but you don't have to look very deep to see that the 18 point win last year was probably misleading.

Arkansas had 200 freakin yards at HALFTIME last year and only 3 points to show for it.

Aubarn's defense better be much improved if they plan to cover 21+ points.

Surely we can't keep shooting ourselves in the foot the way we did last year?
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

moses_007

Frank Broyles always relished Arkansas' role as an underdog. 

hoggusamoungus

Danny Sheridan's line from a couple days ago.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=570881.0

Rump Roast

Lsu were 25 point favorites last year iirc.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: The NewEra on July 29, 2014, 12:15:33 pm
I Love It!!!!  Great bulletin board material.

I don't think coaches put gambling lines up on the mythical bulletin board.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on July 29, 2014, 01:18:58 pm
I don't think coaches put gambling lines up on the mythical bulletin board.

Pete Rose did. 

Pigsknuckles

Time to pull out the Flip the Script Tee's.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Wildhog

Marshall will not be suspended, nor should he be.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

NaturalStateReb

Betting lines aren't about respect; they're about inducing people to bet on games. 

Auburn should be the favorite, but I was expecting something more like 17. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

ifghog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on July 29, 2014, 01:37:35 pm
Betting lines aren't about respect; they're about inducing people to bet on games. 

Auburn should be the favorite, but I was expecting something more like 17. 
It will end there around game time.

dc10x1103

it's the difference between BB and gus

ricepig

Quote from: dc10x1103 on July 29, 2014, 01:56:19 pm
it's the difference between BB and gus

Seriously?? Did you crash land one too many times??

weresoclose

Even when we were so good in 2011, we were 21 point dogs to both Bama and LSU.  I took the Hogs in both and lost my ass. 

History says take Auburn here.  Best team in the SEC returning its QB and the hottest coach in college football... playing at home vs. the worst team in SEC??  Yeah, 21 isn't a stretch.  The only question is whether Gus will run the score up on us to cover 21 in the 4th quarter when we're scratching and clawing to put up 14-17 points.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Well, I hope they are wrong.  We are all hoping they are wrong & we can upset Auburn.

Although I can't say the betting line is being "disrespectful" to us.  We went 0-8 in our conference last year, & they were in the National Championship game.  It should be expected that Auburn would be a heavy favorite.  The game will be decided on the field, not on Las Vegas gambling boards.  I don't get upset with the "betting lines"....they have no control on the outcome of a game.  If we want respect as a football team, it will have to be earned on the field.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Speedracer

I don't bet on Arkansas games because it just ruins it for me.  If I was to bet betting on this game though, I would take Auburn at -21.
Like smites bother me.

The Hogfather

Quote from: weresoclose on July 29, 2014, 02:04:55 pm
Even when we were so good in 2011, we were 21 point dogs to both Bama and LSU.  I took the Hogs in both and lost my ass. 

History says take Auburn here.  Best team in the SEC returning its QB and the hottest coach in college football... playing at home vs. the worst team in SEC??  Yeah, 21 isn't a stretch.  The only question is whether Gus will run the score up on us to cover 21 in the 4th quarter when we're scratching and clawing to put up 14-17 points.

You're doing what everyone else is doing, assuming everything will be the same as last season.  Even then, we only lost by 18 and the game was actually closer than that.

Wildhog

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 29, 2014, 02:10:41 pm
You're doing what everyone else is doing, assuming everything will be the same as last season.  Even then, we only lost by 18 and the game was actually closer than that.

It would be a very bad sign of things to come if we can't cover 21. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Killean

It's a sucker bet for people who don't look at fundamentals.  You have the national runner up vs. a team that went 3-9.  When you actually go back and examine the match up.. it's a one or two score game either direction.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

JansterZ71

Both teams will be much better. 
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

The Galloping Ghost

It was NOT closer than that...Auburn ran about 3 plays all the 2nd half and basically dared us to do anything about it. That's just the truth. The play-book opens and they go full tilt and they beat us by 30. Simple as that..view it as closer than that if you want, but Gus was making a statement to CBB about "normal american football"..."we are going to run it down your throat with 3 plays...stop us". WE DIDN"T.
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

ricepig

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on July 29, 2014, 02:45:11 pm
It was NOT closer than that...Auburn ran about 3 plays all the 2nd half and basically dared us to do anything about it. That's just the truth. The play-book opens and they go full tilt and they beat us by 30. Simple as that..view it as closer than that if you want, but Gus was making a statement to CBB about "normal american football"..."we are going to run it down your throat with 3 plays...stop us". WE DIDN"T.

Um, ok....

The Galloping Ghost

Quote from: ricepig on July 29, 2014, 02:46:38 pm
Um, ok....

YES OK...TRUTH. Try it sometime...it's liberating.
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

MJ2

AU will be clicking on all cylinders.   21 pts is a fair assessment at this time.   Hard to get respect coming off 0-8.

fakebobholt

For years we have always started slow. Look back at the first 2-3 games of past seasons, we started slow against cupcakes.  I dont know if the fire wasnt there because they always had an easy first couple games. I was always wanting us to play tougher competition to start the season. We better come out ready bc we know they are going to try to run it up at home.

ricepig

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on July 29, 2014, 02:48:03 pm
YES OK...TRUTH. Try it sometime...it's liberating.

You mean your truth?? I don't remember seeing you on the sidelines with Auburn, or did I? You have no idea what they were doing than anyone else.

lefty08

i dont know galloping ghost, what AU did against us looked familiar, i saw it the rest of the season from them.
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

870hogfan

HogFanatic

I don't think Auburn is capable of covering this spread unless their passing game has grown in leaps and bounds over what they showed last season.
They didn't run "three plays" to prove a point last season - they ran "three plays" because that's pretty much all they had. They did the same thing in every other game, and it almost cost them several games, and SHOULD HAVE cost them at least two.

Auburn was the luckiest team I have ever seen last season and it isn't even close. That won't continue this year. I personally think Arkansas can win this game outright, but I have no doubts at all that Auburn won't cover a 21 point spread.

GalaHawg

We will lose a heartbreaker :( Think LSU game last season.

JansterZ71

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 29, 2014, 05:49:39 pm
I don't think Auburn is capable of covering this spread unless their passing game has grown in leaps and bounds over what they showed last season.
They didn't run "three plays" to prove a point last season - they ran "three plays" because that's pretty much all they had. They did the same thing in every other game, and it almost cost them several games, and SHOULD HAVE cost them at least two.

Auburn was the luckiest team I have ever seen last season and it isn't even close. That won't continue this year. I personally think Arkansas can win this game outright, but I have no doubts at all that Auburn won't cover a 21 point spread.
Nick Marshall led all QB's in QBR for the last 8 games last season.  Their play action passing was the best in the league.  Please don't be naive.  Nick Marshall won't play as QB in the NFL but he is a VERY good college QB and they have the best WR core in the SEC. 
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

JansterZ71

In 2013 Marshall was #36 in QB Rating while Allen was #118....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Music City Hog

Quote from: ZERO on July 29, 2014, 11:49:09 am
Well, they did beat us by 18 at home last year. No one except Hog fans are expecting us to go out there and actually compete.

And they ran like 2 plays.  Could have named their score.  This years game won't be close, but I'll be there to call the Hogs through the butt kicking.   

HogFanatic

Quote from: JansterZ71 on July 29, 2014, 06:18:57 pm
Nick Marshall led all QB's in QBR for the last 8 games last season.  Their play action passing was the best in the league.  Please don't be naive.  Nick Marshall won't play as QB in the NFL but he is a VERY good college QB and they have the best WR core in the SEC.

Not much longer to wait and see, huh?

What is a WR core? Abdominal muscles?

HogFanatic

It's amazing to watch the legend of Malzahn grow before our very eyes.

Why just here in this thread you can see the total number of plays he had to use to beat the Hogs dwindle by the post. By the time it reaches page 2 it shall be remembered that Auburn didn't even field a team last season. They just mean mugged us as we got off the bus and we forfeited.

Yep, that's how it went down. No fake injury, no plays called at all...Arkansas just quivered under the stare of the sweater-vest and visor.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 29, 2014, 06:30:47 pm
It's amazing to watch the legend of Malzahn grow before our very eyes.

Why just here in this thread you can see the total number of plays he had to use to beat the Hogs dwindle by the post. By the time it reaches page 2 it shall be remembered that Auburn didn't even field a team last season. They just mean mugged us as we got off the bus and we forfeited.

Yep, that's how it went down. No fake injury, no plays called at all...Arkansas just quivered under the stare of the sweater-vest and visor.

I hate Gus.  I've never been a fan.  He's a great coach, but I'm far from a Gus lover.  Doesn't change the fact that Auburn was the most vanilla I've ever seen any team in my life and beat us by just under 3 TDs at home. That happened.

HogFanatic

Quote from: Music City Hog on July 29, 2014, 06:39:19 pm
I hate Gus.  I've never been a fan.  He's a great coach, but I'm far from a Gus lover.  Doesn't change the fact that Auburn was the most vanilla I've ever seen any team in my life and beat us by just under 3 TDs at home. That happened.

And while it may be true, the logic that BECAUSE they only ran a handful of plays means that they could have "named their score" doesn't follow at all and is borderline ridiculous.

Auburn ran that same exact offense all season. Why? Because they have a converted defensive back as a quarterback. They didn't have anything else.

Post Hoc ergo Propter Hoc

Music City Hog

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 29, 2014, 06:43:27 pm
And while it may be true, the logic that BECAUSE they only ran a handful of plays means that they could have "named their score" doesn't follow at all and is borderline ridiculous.

Auburn ran that same exact offense all season. Why? Because they have a converted defensive back as a quarterback. They didn't have anything else.

Post Hoc ergo Propter Hoc

Well, like you said:  we will soon see.  I'd love it if you were correct.  I fear you are not.

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

870hogfan

Quote from: JansterZ71 on July 29, 2014, 06:18:57 pm

Like I said Arkansas will beat the spread..

lumphog

Quote from: ZERO on July 29, 2014, 11:49:09 am
If we hadn't shot ourselves in the foot a dozen times that game is much closer & if we had scored when we had the chance, we would have won. They didn't beat us on the field, we beat ourself.

870hogfan

Rohan Gaines tweeted this earlier.

"@PickSixTwoSix: 21 point underdogs ✊👌 I love it 😏!!! #WPS"