Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

for those with membership.

Started by The Divine Swine, March 22, 2014, 05:14:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Divine Swine

Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

popcornhog

Not sure. I've got UK to the sweet 16 or Elite 8 in all of my brackets.

And I hate UK.
WPS

JonClaudeVanHam

WSU is going to beat the crap out of UK.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

popcornhog

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 22, 2014, 06:11:47 pm

Silly statement. They may well do so -- but the certainty of the word is is completely absurd.
WPS

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: popcornhog on March 22, 2014, 06:17:04 pm
Silly statement. They may well do so -- but the certainty of the word is is completely absurd.

It's basketball, not philosophy, so chill with your semantics.

I have felt since the tournament began that WSU was going to pound UK into the ground.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

popcornhog

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 22, 2014, 06:25:11 pm
It's basketball, not philosophy, so chill with your semantics.

I have felt since the tournament began that WSU was going to pound UK into the ground.

Semantics?

"I expect team x to blow out team y" is totally reasonable. Especially when followed by an explanation.

"Team x will blow out team y" is among the most ludicrous statements I've ever seen. Especially when talking about two tourney teams.
WPS

oldhawgs

SEC really needs Kentucky to beat the crap out of Wichita State and bring the media peckerheads back down from their mid-major high

bigred223

I think Kentucky will beat wsu. What they beat Bama by 5? Indiana state is the second best team in their conference? Color me unimpressed.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: popcornhog on March 22, 2014, 08:00:52 pm
Semantics?

"I expect team x to blow out team y" is totally reasonable. Especially when followed by an explanation.

"Team x will blow out team y" is among the most ludicrous statements I've ever seen. Especially when talking about two tourney teams.

Oh my God, there is no way you are this dense.

This is literally the definition of arguing semantics. I stand by my statement.

Wild Bill Hog

I believe WSU will handle KY easily.

Breems

WSU should handle UK with ease. They're disciplined.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

BruTusk

To answer the original question, the article says that "according to their model, Kentucky has a 42.3% chance to upset Wichita State." Basically, the article says that Kentucky is just as good as Wichita State and though they don't fit the typical David v Goliath upset model.

Illinihog

Quote from: bigred223 on March 22, 2014, 09:26:40 pm
I think Kentucky will beat wsu. What they beat Bama by 5? Indiana state is the second best team in their conference? Color me unimpressed.

That was at Bama, and they beat Tennessee in Wichita by DD. You must be hard to impress. If this was a big boy school that returned everybody and was undefeated, they'd be the best team since duke runs in early 90's.

bigred223

Ya I get it but Tennessee is the best team they played all season. I'm a lot more impressed with Florida's current streak

bigredone

Quote from: Illinihog on March 23, 2014, 07:31:49 am
That was at Bama, and they beat Tennessee in Wichita by DD. You must be hard to impress. If this was a big boy school that returned everybody and was undefeated, they'd be the best team since duke runs in early 90's.

But it isn't a big boy school with a big boy schedule. They may beat KY, but that would be one of the very few quality teams they have had to beat this year. I pick KY in this matchup because KY has been challenged and had to pick themselves back up.

If they get by KY then it is Louisville. Then Michigan or TN. The committee obviously was not sold on WSU's record and set them up to be tested more than any other #1 seed. If they get to the Final Four from their region they will have earned my respect.

Illinihog

Quote from: bigredone on March 23, 2014, 08:33:29 am
But it isn't a big boy school with a big boy schedule. They may beat KY, but that would be one of the very few quality teams they have had to beat this year. I pick KY in this matchup because KY has been challenged and had to pick themselves back up.

If they get by KY then it is Louisville. Then Michigan or TN. The committee obviously was not sold on WSU's record and set them up to be tested more than any other #1 seed. If they get to the Final Four from their region they will have earned my respect.

I wasn't impressed with them at the start, but they way they have fen about their business has earned some respect. I get their schedule was weak but they match up well with Kentucky. Kentucky has suspect guard play and isn't real physical. In our wins vs. KY we were physical and didn't back down. The shockers will punch them in the month over and over especially the Guards.

Now that I say that KY wins. I will take KY +4.5 but I think Shockers win a tight one.

High Octane Hog

Quote from: oldhawgs on March 22, 2014, 08:15:05 pm
SEC really needs Kentucky to beat the crap out of Wichita State and bring the media peckerheads back down from their mid-major high
I am so glad Kentucky won this game. YEEEHAWWW! Eat that media peckerheads!!

oldhawgs

Quote from: High Octane Hog on March 23, 2014, 10:13:46 pm
I am so glad Kentucky won this game. YEEEHAWWW! Eat that media peckerheads!!
Sweet! +1

jmb1973

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 22, 2014, 06:11:47 pm

Lol.  You should sell your predictions.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: jmb1973 on March 23, 2014, 10:55:25 pm

I'll stick with my predictions. UK played perfect, just like they needed to in order to win. Props to them.

bigredone

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 23, 2014, 11:18:03 pm
I'll stick with my predictions. UK played perfect, just like they needed to in order to win. Props to them.

So the Shockers didn't play well? Honestly?

azhog10

Quote from: jmb1973 on March 23, 2014, 10:55:25 pm

He sounded like a lot of guys on betting message boards. Team X will beat the crap out of team y and I have some fantastic knowledge on the matter. Then team y beats team x.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: bigredone on March 23, 2014, 11:33:03 pm
So the Shockers didn't play well? Honestly?

Now where did I say that?

The shockers played great. Kentucky played the best game they have played all season. No one would have beaten them yesterday, so props to them.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: azhog10 on March 23, 2014, 11:48:07 pm
He sounded like a lot of guys on betting message boards. Team X will beat the crap out of team y and I have some fantastic knowledge on the matter. Then team y beats team x.

Even after yesterday I would still pick WSU to beat Kentucky in 9 out of 10 games. Kentucky hasn't shot that well all year and the Harrison twins haven't combined to play like that all year. It's very difficult for me to see them beating them again because WSU has consistency. But hey, UK played awesome and won. That's how it goes sometimes.

hambone

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 24, 2014, 09:40:37 am
Now where did I say that?

The shockers played great. Kentucky played the best game they have played all season. No one would have beaten them yesterday, so props to them.

The Shockers did play a very good game.

I disagree about Kentucky though. They had periods of lack of focus that lead to turnovers and bad defense at times during the game. They opened the door to be beaten but Wichita just wasn't athletic enough at certain positions to hold Kentucky off.

I think Van Vleet has incredible court vision, but both he and Baker were overmatched from an athletic standpoint yesterday. Even Cotton, Wichita's most athletic guard struggled to hang with Kentucky's guards. They couldn't keep them out of the lane and Wichita did very little penetrating of their own.

Early was a man though. No one could stop him from getting his shot yesterday. I thought Wichita should have run their last play through him instead of Van Vleet.

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: hambone on March 24, 2014, 09:47:58 am
The Shockers did play a very good game.

I disagree about Kentucky though. They had periods of lack of focus that lead to turnovers and bad defense at times during the game. They opened the door to be beaten but Wichita just wasn't athletic enough at certain positions to hold Kentucky off.

I think Van Vleet has incredible court vision, but both he and Baker were overmatched from an athletic standpoint yesterday. Even Cotton, Wichita's most athletic guard struggled to hang with Kentucky's guards. They couldn't keep them out of the lane and Wichita did very little penetrating of their own.

Early was a man though. No one could stop him from getting his shot yesterday. I thought Wichita should have run their last play through him instead of Van Vleet.

I would just counter that by saying that your point shows how badly Kentucky played all year compared to yesterday. They are supremely talented and haven't put it all together until yesterday, and even yesterday showed that they have yet to play complete. But they played the best game they have all year in my book.

JonClaudeVanHam

hambone

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 24, 2014, 09:54:51 am
I would just counter that by saying that your point shows how badly Kentucky played all year compared to yesterday. They are supremely talented and haven't put it all together until yesterday, and even yesterday showed that they have yet to play complete. But they played the best game they have all year in my book.

I thought they played a better game against Kansas St. Their defense was stifling nearly the entire game.

I thought they gave Wichita a lot of open looks up until the 5 minute mark of the second half yesterday.

I do agree that Kentucky is playing their best ball of the season lately, but I don't think that they played out of their minds by any stretch against the Shockers.

I think that Kentucky had distinct talent advantages at 4 spots on the floor all day yesterday and exploited them very well.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 24, 2014, 09:56:23 am
"I picked a game you didn't! Look at me! You suck! Lololololol"
You did not just pick a winner. You said that WS would beat the crap out of KY. You weren't just wrong, you were stupid wrong! Now that IS LOL! I hope you bet it with a bookie.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Illinihog

These last 2 games Kentucky has shot the ball better behind the arc than they have all year.  Teams were able to pack it in on Randle and let Harrison's and Young shoot 3's, now teams can't do that.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Illinihog on March 24, 2014, 11:49:23 am
These last 2 games Kentucky has shot the ball better behind the arc than they have all year.  Teams were able to pack it in on Randle and let Harrison's and Young shoot 3's, now teams can't do that.
Gee, what a novel thing...improvement in shooting over the course of a season. Why is that so foreign to Arkansas basketball? And Arkansas football for that matter. If anything, Arkansas got worse as the season went on this year. Look at end of season...losses to Bama, SC and CA. And FG% sucked in all 3. Choking? Against these teams? Nah, that is not it. Just bad decision making on offense, and players who cannot consistently make 21' shots.