Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Indiana State is horrible.

Started by swinesation, March 18, 2014, 11:08:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JonClaudeVanHam

You know, I really can't imagine a situation in which a John Pelphrey coached Auburn tiger squad will not replace Pitt in the NCAA tournament. It just makes too much sense. We all know that Pelphrey is a sly fox in those 8-9 matchups.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

PonderinHog

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 18, 2014, 11:48:17 pm
You're posts are clever, but this is at a new level.
Don't look directly at it...

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

aar0n

-Blu

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on March 18, 2014, 11:41:54 pm
Louisiana and Georgia State were/would have been nice opponents. Sun Belt is a bit of a gamble because South Alabama's disastrous season did kill them.

That's true, but do you get my point that it's all the luck of the draw?  I'm sure if you look at all the preseason projections, High Point and South Alabama were deemed to be better stronger opponents than a Georgia State or Louisiana Tech.  Yet, you switch those 2 teams with the 2 teams I just mentioned, and the SOS difference and adding those 2 more top 100 wins, may would have been enough for us to be in the tournament, and we would have beat those teams just as easily as we beat the other 2.  It doesn't make sense, RPI is so broken.

PonderinHog

Uncommon

I thought Richmond and Middle Tennessee State deserved to be in the NIT more than Clemson and Indiana State.

aar0n

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 18, 2014, 11:49:54 pm
You know, I really can't imagine a situation in which a John Pelphrey coached Auburn tiger squad will not replace Pitt in the NCAA tournament. It just makes too much sense. We all know that Pelphrey is a sly fox in those 8-9 matchups.

I'll be darned, here I thought Pel HAD to be on staff at Pitt as good as they are. 

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 18, 2014, 11:53:44 pm
It was wrong on many levels.   8)

I'm mainly distressed over how it made me lose my ability to use "Your" and "You're" properly.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: bobcat ball on March 18, 2014, 11:09:27 pm
Good thing we don't play Pitt then I guess.
Pitt's gotten pretty good since they changed ADs. :)

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: RazorBroncs on March 18, 2014, 11:54:44 pm
I'll be darned, here I thought Pel HAD to be on staff at Pitt as good as they are.

You would think that, but you would be wrong.

PonderinHog

Quote from: CallMeHog on March 18, 2014, 11:55:59 pm
Pitt's gotten pretty good since they changed ADs. :)
That's gonna leave a mark.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: -Blu on March 18, 2014, 11:51:53 pm
That's true, but do you get my point that it's all the luck of the draw?  I'm sure if you look at all the preseason projections, High Point and South Alabama were deemed to be better stronger opponents than a Georgia State or Louisiana Tech.  Yet, you switch those 2 teams with the 2 teams I just mentioned, and the SOS difference and adding those 2 more top 100 wins, may would have been enough for us to be in the tournament, and we would have beat those teams just as easily as we beat the other 2.  It doesn't make sense, RPI is so broken.

You're right that RPI is broken, I just don't think you can go wrong picking a MVC, CUSA, or A-10 team, whereas you have to pick the champion of the Big South and then hope they follow through. Heck, High Point DID follow through and their RPI was still awful.

Duquesne, for example, is an easier win, but their RPI is probably about 100 points better than High Point.

dhornjr1

Big Papa Satan

Just as long as we avoid Pitt.

JonClaudeVanHam

jry04

Quote from: BeastBack 50 on March 18, 2014, 11:54:34 pm
I thought Richmond and Middle Tennessee State deserved to be in the NIT more than Clemson and Indiana State.
More than Clemson? They finished 5th or 6th in the ACC and had 20+ wins. They definitely deserved to be in the NIT. Proved it by beating the Sun Belt champs by double digits tonight, too.

pigture perfect

Maybe the OP was talking about the Pittsburg State Gorilla's out of southern Kansas. I don't think they're very good.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

-Blu

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on March 19, 2014, 12:00:12 am
You're right that RPI is broken, I just don't think you can go wrong picking a MVC, CUSA, or A-10 team, whereas you have to pick the champion of the Big South and then hope they follow through. Heck, High Point DID follow through and their RPI was still awful.

Duquesne, for example, is an easier win, but their RPI is probably about 100 points better than High Point.

Yep, your right, we need to be calling A-10 teams right now.  Hopefully we draw better next year.  It's just sad, that unless your an elite team to get into the tournament the most important thing to do is finding the right "easy wins".  You can be a very mediocre team, but if you get lucky one year and schedule most of the conference champs and a few team like Louisiana Tech, Green Bay, Indiana State's that happen to have a good year, but still not very good, you can ease your way into the tournament, without really any significant wins..... See BYU.

hoglady

Ya'll do realize Minnesota just beat High Point tonight in another first round NIT game. They didn't slaughter them either - they won by 7 points.
High Point gave them a game. Not as bad a team as their RPI.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

OptimusHog

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 19, 2014, 12:10:51 am
Maybe the OP was talking about the Pittsburg State Gorilla's out of southern Kansas. I don't think they're very good.

As long as we don't have to face those Lions from Missouri Southern again...

-Blu

Quote from: hoglady on March 19, 2014, 12:13:30 am
Ya'll do realize Minnesota just beat High Point tonight in another first round NIT game. They didn't slaughter them either - they won by 7 points.

A lot of people were high on High Point to start the year.  When people were complaining about our OOC, I was always telling them we scheduled alright because South Alabama, High Point, ULL, Clemson, SMU, would all be quality wins and look good on our resume.  And there's not much difference in High Point than there is Indiana State for sure, yet Indiana State has a 79 RPI and High Point 172.

SPAL

I'm not scared of Pitt. Dan Marino isn't walking through that door.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 19, 2014, 12:19:56 am
I'm not scared of Pitt. Dan Marino isn't walking through that door.

This team would be much better with a Dan Marino leading them. We need a distributor.

Uncommon

Quote from: jry04 on March 19, 2014, 12:04:33 am
More than Clemson? They finished 5th or 6th in the ACC and had 20+ wins. They definitely deserved to be in the NIT. Proved it by beating the Sun Belt champs by double digits tonight, too.
Here was my On the Bubble for the NIT before the NIT Selection Show.
Last Four In
Richmond
Middle Tennessee State
LSU
San Francisco

First Four Out
Maryland
Clemson
Ohio
Washington

Next Four Out
Boise State
Indiana State
Oregon State
UTEP

SPAL

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 19, 2014, 12:21:00 am
This team would be much better with a Dan Marino leading them. We need a distributor.

We should recruit whoever distributes Jim Beam. Ticket sales would be through the roof.

apcapri

Quote from: hoglady on March 19, 2014, 12:13:30 am

You do realize we beat High Point by 41 this year...they are as bad as their RPI.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 19, 2014, 12:21:00 am

I know that's the common complaint, but did you see some of the passes Madden made tonight? I would take a low-post banger that could complement Portis over a "true point guard" any day. Madden does the job just fine. Sure, I'd like another one because the offense usually stalls when Madden sits, but not having a back-to-the-basket forward seems like a larger concern right now.

razorhead94

This is a perfect type game to schedule in non conference.  It would be a win and a top RPI 100 win but just by looking at their team you wouldn't think so.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 18, 2014, 11:11:45 pm
This is why you always must proofread at least 10-12 times before posting.

Or this may be a classic poast...

P-O-A-S-T  ?

JonClaudeVanHam

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 19, 2014, 01:04:06 am
To post while toasted.

LOL  Not an unusual condition for many Hogvillians.

hogville38

Quote from: swinesation on March 18, 2014, 11:08:24 pm
They're worse than any team in the SEC. Good Lord. We didn't play very well, and yet they never had a chance. Cal will be a whole different deal.
Yes, please discredit the hogs win. Man some of you people. We WON. Be happy damn it

Sharky

Quote from: -Blu on March 18, 2014, 11:25:53 pm
This is a great example at how flawed the RPI system is they use to determine tournament teams. We actually would have beat Indiana State worse if we actually played in the first half.  I don't know about you guys but I didn't see much difference, if any, in the quality of this team versus a High Point or a South Alabama.  Yet, we are penalized on RPI for playing those teams, and would have been rewarded for playing Indiana State in our OOC. 

It gets to the point to where it's all about luck with doing your OOC.  Because both High Point and South Alabama were projected to finish at the top of their conferences and finish with a decent RPI, yet it didn't work out that way.

So we should just let all the teams play bottom feeders and weigh those wins the same, even though statistically they are not the same? That doesn't make any sense. Then all the good teams would be incentivized to schedule games with the worst teams, and there would be tons of 40-50 pt blowouts (even more so than now) during non-conference play. This year's schedule was horrible. There is no defense for it other than blatant manipulation and misrepresentation of statistics.

Love your enthusiasm Blu, but RPI is a worthwhile tool, and it makes a lot of sense. Go read about it.

Pulled(PP)pork

Pitt would beat u 10-12 times if we were to play them routinely

PP

HAM ELLIOT

GO

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 18, 2014, 11:47:26 pm
Imagine Lil Wayne in a guitar duel against David Gilmour.

+1 for the Gilmour reference!

secfan30

They're worse than any team in the SEC. Good Lord. We didn't play very well, and yet they never had a chance. Cal will be a whole different deal.

Research before posting a new thread is not mandatory, but it should be.

-Blu

Quote from: Sharky on March 19, 2014, 01:22:06 am
So we should just let all the teams play bottom feeders and weigh those wins the same, even though statistically they are not the same? That doesn't make any sense. Then all the good teams would be incentivized to schedule games with the worst teams, and there would be tons of 40-50 pt blowouts (even more so than now) during non-conference play. This year's schedule was horrible. There is no defense for it other than blatant manipulation and misrepresentation of statistics.

Love your enthusiasm Blu, but RPI is a worthwhile tool, and it makes a lot of sense. Go read about it.

I'm not trying to be mean when I say this, but I've probably read and no more than you about RPI.  And it's not just me on Hogville talking about it, it's coaches, experts, analyst, and fans all throughout the nation that discuss this very same topic every year.  And the more you read and learn about it the more you realized it's a flawed system, just like how the BCS system is/was discussed every year, before they made some changes to that starting this year as well.

It's impossible to put together a logical argument that this Indiana State team is a 79 RPI and teams like High Point and South Alabama are all 175+ RPI teams, if you know anything about basketball and use your eyes, there's is no way possible this Indiana State team is that much better than them. 

A better example would be looking at teams like BYU that have a 30 RPI, yet they lost to 4 teams outside the top 150, and only have 2 wins in the top 50.  They just have a bunch of teams that are all around the 100 RPI, so they manipulate the system to make it look like they had a tough SOS, yet in reality it was probably one of the more easier schedules in the country.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/BYU.html

Take a look at their schedule, and tell me how was this schedule tougher than Arkansas schedules by strictly looking at the quality of the teams. 

If you want to talk about reading something, look-up and read about BPI, this is a much more accurate system, thought it still has it's flaws, would be much more reliable than RPI>

Beaverfever

We have to completely scrap like 3 conferences from future scheduling.  The sun belt needs to be our new Swac.  The rpi is currently really flawed in how it greatly values 150-250 rpi teams over 250+ teams.  Also the rpi doesn't count d2 opponents so if you want to play 2 absolute garbage teams early in the year just go that route. 

acey33

I didn't see any Larry Birds on that team last night...WPS

The Hogfather

Quote from: Beaverfever on March 19, 2014, 07:58:22 am
We have to completely scrap like 3 conferences from future scheduling.  The sun belt needs to be our new Swac.  The rpi is currently really flawed in how it greatly values 150-250 rpi teams over 250+ teams.  Also the rpi doesn't count d2 opponents so if you want to play 2 absolute garbage teams early in the year just go that route. 

I really hope ESPN keeps pushing the BPI.  I really don't think we should have to change our schedule drastically from what it was this season.  We just need to make a few tweaks.  The main issue for me, is that everyone should start focusing on developing a better metric to use than the RPI.  Using the BPI would be a good start.

Next1_04

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 18, 2014, 11:48:17 pm
You're posts are clever, but this is at a new level.

Some men would drag their testicles 5 miles through a row of glass just to hear Pitt fart through a walky talky.

Beaverfever

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 19, 2014, 08:05:33 am
I really hope ESPN keeps pushing the BPI.  I really don't think we should have to change our schedule drastically from what it was this season.  We just need to make a few tweaks.  The main issue for me, is that everyone should start focusing on developing a better metric to use than the RPI.  Using the BPI would be a good start.
They say that no win can hurt your RPI but I am almost positive that's not true.  The day after playing terrible teams this year our RPI would drop significantly.  Unless all the teams that passed us had better wins that exact day then that's proof that a win can definitely hurt you.  The RPI seems to be built on averages more than a cumulative score.  You are better off playing a d2 team and the game not counting than playing a 300+ rpi team and winning. 

DeltaBoy

They hung with us for the first half.  I thought they played pretty hard.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Breems

I'm trying to figure out whether Pitt busted my NIT or NCAAT bracket.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

-Blu

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 19, 2014, 08:28:34 am
They hung with us for the first half.  I thought they played pretty hard.

Savannah State hung with us the first half as well, these 2 games were probably our worst first half starts we've had all season.  Against Indiana State how many 2 ft shots did we miss in the first half, we should have been up by 15 within the first 3 minutes of the game, had we hit those shots.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on March 18, 2014, 11:11:38 pm
This does not reflect well on Wichita State. Remember Wichita barely beat Tennessee on their home floor, and Indiana State was the second best team in that conference. Wichita is a good team, but not great. They won't get past Louisville even if they do get past Kentucky.
WS ain't getting past KY.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Hawg Red

Is it also possible that Indiana State isn't really horrible and we just made them look that way?

At any rate, these are the kind of teams we need to be scheduling non-conference.

HognotinMemphis

It is the first round of the NIT after all. What did you expect? As for Indiana State's fellow conference member WS, I think we will see the real WS once they have to play real competition. They won't last two rounds in the NCAAT.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.