Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The better RB: AC or KM

Started by Prestworthy, March 15, 2014, 10:50:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 15, 2014, 10:55:49 pm
yeah the coaches are always right . that's why D-MAC and felix sat on the bench for over half their freshmen seasons

Over?
       Dmac     Felix      Hillis      Total      Proportion that Dmac/Felix accounted for)
      (8 listed starts)                               (carries,yards)
1:    9-70      8-137     14-135    51-483   (.33,.43)  Missouri State
2:    1-6        1- -1     15-39      43-194   (.05,.03)  Vandy (first SEC game, Nutt hesitant to play freshman
3:    13-88     12-66     8-19       52-197   (.48,.78)  USC (down by a lot, young guys given a chance
4:    8-95       10-48    9-54       40-237    (.45,.60)  Bama (Next SEC game, Dmac gets start
5:    11-125   14-102   5-15        49-321    (.51,.71)  ULM
6:    13-108    6-20      4-8        30-148    (.63,.86)  Auburn
7:    31-190    10-62    2-3        49-216    (.84,1.2) (other players lost yards...)  Georgia
8:    32-187    11-66                 48-219    (.90,1.2)  SC
9:    13-22      13-50     3-14      40-89     (.65,.81)  ole miss
10:   21-165   10-71     5-28       45-247    (.69,.96)  Miss. State
11:   24-57     4-5                     34-35      (.82,1.8)  LSU

So, there was really only 1 game that entire season that the two set on the bench. Two games where they got significant carries, but were in garbage time. 8 of 11 games they started. 8. Even then, Felix technically started against USC, so that was like 9 games.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ChitownHawg

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 15, 2014, 10:55:49 pm
yeah the coaches are always right . that's why D-MAC and felix sat on the bench for over half their freshmen seasons

First you are talking about Hootie - enough said on his decision making skills.

Now Dmac came out of high school as the #7 RB in the country according to 247Sports.

Korliss #67 in the country.

Alex #1 in the country

Now you tell me which one is closer to Dmac?

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 15, 2014, 11:57:03 pm
See…I'm not the only one who thinks KM has that "it" factor.  AC is a good back.  He'll be a really good one this season.  But don't be shocked if he splits an equal amount of carries with KM by their junior season.

This is simply getting crazy. We have "Close" in another thread trying to argue that Tom Brady is not a top QB and now we have someone saying Alex is an ok back. See my quote to Top about Dmac, Korliss, and Alex.

Quote from: locusbug on March 16, 2014, 06:27:57 am
First you are talking about Hootie - enough said on his decision making skills.

Now Dmac came out of high school as the #7 RB in the country according to 247Sports.

Korliss #67 in the country.

Alex #1 in the country

Now you tell me which one is closer to Dmac?

Do you still want to keep your opinion of Alex? Of course you do because guys like you it is more about enjoying the "going against the wind" than having a logical discussion.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

TexArkHogFan

Having three very good running backs is not a bad problem to have.  More often than not, running backs get injured, or just plain tired, as the season progresses.  To be able to replace one and not skip a beat is a big plus.  We had three great backs in DMac, Felix and Hillis and nobody seemed to complain.  We need all the help we can get and thankfully running back is a position we don't have to worry about if they all stay healthy.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

MuskogeeHogFan

See...I'm not the only one who thinks KM has that "it" factor.  AC is a good back.  He'll be a really good one this season.  But don't be shocked if he splits an equal amount of carries with KM by their junior season.

If any of us could predict the future, we would be wealthy beyond our imagination and would have made a lot fewer mistakes in life. I think Marshall has a lot of unrealized potential but currently he is a strong contributor within his role. Short of an injury, Williams and Collins will likely be our starters and though not beyond the realm of possibility, I would be shocked if we ever see Marshall and Collins getting equal carries in any game, unless it is after Williams leaves or Collins is injured to some degree.

I agree that Marshall runs hard and has that special second-gear, that great RB's tend to possess. But as I said earlier, there is a reason that Williams and Collins were given so many touches last year and Marshall, considerably fewer. I don't know what those reasons are and I am not sure that any of us do, but there are good reasons or else Marshall would have seen a lot more playing time last year.
Go Hogs Go!

texhog22

Who do you think our best running back is and why? For me our best RB is JWill. He hits the hole harder and runs harder. He runs with an ATTITUDE. He has really turned the corner. AC has brought out the best in JWill . AC is only slightly behind JWill. As he gets stronger he will get even better. KM just needs more carries. I think all 3 of these backs could easily be remembered in are all time top 20 after they are gone. Two could even be in our top 10

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: texhog22 on March 16, 2014, 11:59:20 am
Who do you think our best running back is and why? For me our best RB is JWill. He hits the hole harder and runs harder. He runs with an ATTITUDE. He has really turned the corner. AC has brought out the best in JWill . AC is only slightly behind JWill. As he gets stronger he will get even better. KM just needs more carries. I think all 3 of these backs could easily be remembered in are all time top 20 after they are gone. Two could even be in our top 10

Agreed.  There were several plays last season that AC was in and did not make that tough 3 yards or so needed.  I would have liked to have seen more of JW.  But I agree, AC is not far behind.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: texhog22 on March 16, 2014, 11:59:20 am

Does it matter who the "best" is?  Why not start a thread about the running back depth we have and how each one of them brings something differrent to the game? 

Hawgzinbowlz

AC seems the fastest through his cuts.
KM has an explosiveness that sets him apart.
JWill has toughness, top end, and determination/skill that is SEC quality.
JWill is a leader that sets an example for the other backs, and the team.
JWill is our most valuable RB.

JWILL and AC are very capable SEC running backs, KM can be very effective in certain situations (we haven't used him enough to see if he can SEC pound), and it will be interesting to see how Denzell Evans is used. It sounds like DE has used his freshman season to develop physically.

" GO HOGS "

Iwastherein1969

Alex Collins is the best with a decent offensive line in front of him....I want to see him break one for 70 or 80, though...he always seemed to take the wrong cut and was caught last year...maybe it was just bad luck...but Alex needs to break one all the way for a TD for him to be best...if he can't, JWill is the best
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

texhog22

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on March 16, 2014, 12:38:49 pm
Does it matter who the "best" is?  Why not start a thread about the running back depth we have and how each one of them brings something different to the game?
Because I'm not really worried about being politically correct. I believe praise should be given to those who earn it and all three of these backs have earned praise. No one is criticizing any of them. It is okay to have a favorite player etc.  I know you are one of those people who try to turn every thing someone else says into a negative but you need to move along. nothing for you here.

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: texhog22 on March 16, 2014, 01:05:49 pm
Because I'm not really worried about being politically correct. I believe praise should be given to those who earn it and all three of these backs have earned praise. No one is criticizing any of them. It is okay to have a favorite player etc.  I know you are one of those people who try to turn every thing someone else says into a negative but you need to move along. nothing for you here.
Plus, it is a message board and that is the purpose of a message board.  To discuss and debate about topics like this. 

wupigsuey

I agree that JWill is our best back based on YPC alone. That to me is the biggest stat. That's not to say AC isn't awesome as well. I want to say they're within a half yard or so of each other with Williams in the lead.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Hawgzinbowlz

Does it matter who the "best" is?  Why not start a thread about the running back depth we have and how each one of them brings something differrent to the game?
If you start an above subject thread you may want to include Juan Day in the thread.
It's a snow day and our basketball and baseball teams aren't exactly setting the world on fire.
Slow day and a snow day so it would be an interesting read/post.

" GO HOGS "

poloprince

They are all good, but we don't have the gamebreaker.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Quote from: poloprince on March 16, 2014, 01:42:03 pm
They are all good, but we don't have the gamebreaker.

We might - but it doesn't matter if you can't throw it.  Even D-Mac couldn't overcome that..
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

yraciv

Alex Collins is our best back. J Will is probably better at getting the tough yards or better on the goalline, but Collins is more elusive and has more speed. They are both good, but they are two different types of back.

PonderinHog

Seems like we have tough, quick and fast covered among the three.  Pound 'em early and burn 'em later.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 15, 2014, 10:52:58 pm
Marshall isn't a spot duty back up . he has the ability to be another D-MAC . You know that other spot duty back up as a freshmen .
I'm not referring to what you think Korliss Marshall can be.

Marshall doesn't start. Therefore he is a back up. He was only used in certain situations. That's called spot duty.

D-Mac is the only Razorback ever to be invited to the Heisman ceremonies. He got invited twice. He's one of the top backs in the history of the SEC.

I know Korliss Marshall. He would laugh at the notion that he's another McFadden. The kid doesn't even want to be a running back. He's said several times that he'd prefer to play safety.

hoggusamoungus

PonderinHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 16, 2014, 01:57:42 pm

I'm not referring to what you think Korliss Marshall can be.

Marshall doesn't start. Therefore he is a back up. He was only used in certain situations. That's called spot duty.

D-Mac is the only Razorback ever to be invited to the Heisman ceremonies. He got invited twice. He's one of the top backs in the history of the SEC.

I know Korliss Marshall. He would laugh at the notion that he's another McFadden. The kid doesn't even want to be a running back. He's said several times that he'd prefer to play safety.
Sonofa...

OhGreatOne

Your question is who is the best RB...not the fastest.

Who knows the offense
Who knows how to pick the blitz and make the block
Who can catch the ball out of the backfield
Who can get the tough yards

Hypothetical...4th and goal late in the game against Bama and we have a chance to go ahead...

Who do you give the ball to? JWill.
There is a hidden forum on Hogville.
Most of the intelligent conversation happens there.
Ask about it.

Tejano Jawg

Right now, I'd say Jonathan Williams—tough, great balance, big playmaker.

But I expect Alex Collins to take the lead this year. In the early days of "The Pony Express"...Craig James was the better back, but everyone knew Eric Dickerson would emerge soon. Kinda like that.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

ldfergu

Good grief. This board gets tiresome sometimes because someone always has to cry about something. If u don't like it, don't read it

redeye

JWill is the most powerful and is great at fighting for extra yards.  Collins is the best at finding holes and then exploiting them.  Marshall is the fastest.  Not sure who is shiftier between Collins and Marshall, because both are shifty.

Jamie Jones

When KM realizes that he is going to stay on offense and that he needs to embrace that fact and push for playing time as a RB, he could be the best of the four. (Including Day) KM has the breakaway speed to not only be a game changer, but to be one of those backs that keeps opposing DCs up at night. But at this point, AC is my pick.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: OhGreatOne on March 16, 2014, 02:24:47 pm
Hypothetical...4th and goal late in the game against Bama and we have a chance to go ahead...

Who do you give the ball to? JWill.

A fullback taking a direct snap in the wildcat  ;)

Hogtimes

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 15, 2014, 04:55:32 pm
Let's see, Collins makes the SEC all freshman team, has 1,000 + yards rushing but one of his own freshmen teammates is actually better and should get more carries in the future because he has a higher ceiling and is faster.

Man this coaching staff is dumb. Why didn't they see that?
]

I did not say that Marshall was better than Collins, nor did I say he should get more carries than Collins. 

The questions were:  Who deserves more carries?  and who has the higher ceiling?

I said JWill should get more carries and that Marshall had the higher ceiling.

I notice in a later post you seem to agree that  Jwill possibly should get more carries.     

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Stan on March 16, 2014, 02:53:55 pm
]

I did not say that Marshall was better than Collins, nor did I say he should get more carries than Collins. 

The questions were:  Who deserves more carries?  and who has the higher ceiling?

I said JWill should get more carries and that Marshall had the higher ceiling.

I notice in a later post you seem to agree that  Jwill possibly should get more carries.   

Hey everyone Stan is onto something. He believes Marshall should have more carries because he has a higher ceiling. Heck with that reasoning then don't worry guys we are going to have a glorious season - as soon as I can catch a flight to Fayetteville. CBB will surely give me more carries as I have a higher ceiling than Marshall considering a 55 year old guy is further down in the cellar than a 20 year old athlete.  ;)

Marshall #67 RB and Collins #1. As you should expect from a #1 RB broke records as a freshman in the SEC. Do you really think Marshall is going higher than that? He is a good kid and will do well for the Hogs, so quit making ridiculous claims.

urkillnmesmalls

AC is great at making lateral cuts to get past the LB's.  But as he does that, it's going to allow pursuit to catch him.  It's probably why he doesn't break big runs as much.  But...he can turn 3 yard gains into 8 and 10 yard gains, which is a great skill to have...maybe the most important in the long run. 

JWill is the power back, who can get the tough yards, but can hit the hole quick and head to daylight.  He's more likely to break a big run, because he's not going to be juking and jiving...just getting downfield. 

Marshall is pure speed and reckless abandon.  He runs with no hesitation and no fear.  I think he has a little of both JWill and AC in power and shiftiness, but his gift is straight line speed, and he's the MOST likely of the three to hit a long gainer. 

I just hope we block well for them this season with the loss of Swanson, because by all accounts, he was the leader of that unit.  It should be fun to watch, and I hope they all stay healthy, and we get to see all of them do great things. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

bennyl08

JWill: right now has the highest blend of speed, power, and instincts. He is similar in running style to Knile and Arian Foster in that all are 1-cut and up the field type of backs. You don't see too many spin moves or wasted motion in these guys. Knile was probably a bit stronger than JWill, but JWill is more willing to lower his shoulder and power through a guy than Knile. If I had to guess, he is probably a 4.51 forty runner or so.

Collins: Right now he lacks that extra gear that Williams and Marshall have when they get into the open, and I wonder if he is capable of developing that, or if you are just born with it. Regardless, over the first 20 yards, the three backs are virtually indistinguishable in speed. Collins hits the hole hard and extremely fast. His running style is much more reminiscent of Lynch. He can outrun you to the corner, he can take 5 of your best defenders and carry them 7 yards downfield, or he can juke you out of your shoes. Plus, he has only been playing football for a few years, so his potential is quite high. If he can show that extra gear to break the 20 yard run into a td, then he would be a first round pick by his junior year. Otherwise, he will probably be a 2nd to 3rd round pick, which is still really good, maybe late first.

Marshall: At first glance he seems like your typical scat back. However, his listed height/weight is surprisingly good. Granted, I would bet he is more in the 5'10 190 mold than 6' 206 (or is it 203?). Still, is a bit like Tre Mason. A far cry from Dmac as some poster want to say, he is still very fast with better size than you expect someone with that quickness and speed (i.e. better durability) and who can probably run between the tackles better than expected, even though he really didn't do much of that so far.

Walker: So, I admit, I was extremely hard on this kid when he first got here. He was obviously strong, but he didn't even break tackles at the HS level. When I first saw him in practice, I loosened up a bit as I saw how quick he was for a guy his size, though still only viewed him as a slightly better Green. However, in the spring game last  year, he looked legit. Granted, it was going against our defense and guys don't want to injure one another, but I feel safe in saying that he has certainly improved a good deal since he came to campus. While not as good overall as JWill or Collins, he is good enough that I could see us using him as a full time back in the SEC with about 800 yards of production as the primary back regardless of backups or passing game. If the passing game improves, and JWill and Collins are both out of the picture, I would be okay with him and Marshall leading the charge.

Evans: Evans is pretty similar in my opinion, as to what Walker looked like coming out of HS. He is hard to get excited about, IMO, as he didn't look good at any area of the game. That said, he didn't look bad at any area of his game either. In that regard, he is similar to many of those RB's in the SEC that put up solid numbers, but never get much recognition. As a primary back, he could probably flirt with 1000 yards, though I would bet on the under. 800 yards I would bet on the over, depending on how primary he was. That is really solid production. But, because he isn't good at breaking tackles, isn't terribly explosive, and isn't terribly fast, such production would go mostly unnoticed.

Day: So, while I incorrectly initially compared Walker to Green, I feel Day is a bit more similar to Green (with Evans being a bit more similar in style to Walker). However, Green's biggest problem was in breaking tackles and getting easily tripped up, I think that Day will be better at that. He may not be Trent Richardson good at breaking tackles, but I feel he is a bit more athletic and won't get tripped up and as such, will be better suited to run through arm tackles. I would be very surprised if he didn't redshirt this year. However, he could be a strong runner for us, though at the moment, I don't think he will ever be our primary back or lead the team in rushing yards.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 16, 2014, 01:03:53 pm
Alex Collins is the best with a decent offensive line in front of him....I want to see him break one for 70 or 80, though...he always seemed to take the wrong cut and was caught last year...maybe it was just bad luck...but Alex needs to break one all the way for a TD for him to be best...if he can't, JWill is the best

This is dumb. Broderick Green is he the best RB in Arkansas history because he has a 99 yard TD?

GlassofSwine

See...I'm not the only one who thinks KM has that "it" factor.  AC is a good back.  He'll be a really good one this season.  But don't be shocked if he splits an equal amount of carries with KM by their junior season.

Your "it factor" seems to be based on breakaway speed alone. Collins is far better at being patient, waiting for the hole to develop and then exploding through it. It should also be noted that Marshall's longest run was 32 yards...he never broke a 70-80 yarder as most on here seem to think. 
  Last it is obvious the coaching staff loves the way Marshall runs as they worked to utilize him more as the season went on. That wasn't by accident or because he was being overlooked. However, Collins and Jwill are better every-down backs. I would expect Marshall to get 5 touches a games.

hogs5204

Getting through the SEC schedule, we will need all 3.  Our backs over the years have always gone through some rough spots.  The late in the season explosiveness of Marshall was impressive.  We have a great stable of running backs, with another year of development and strengthening under their belt.

Hogtimes

March 16, 2014, 05:55:37 pm #84 Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 06:11:16 pm by Stan
Quote from: locusbug on March 16, 2014, 03:07:20 pm
Hey everyone Stan is onto something. He believes Marshall should have more carries because he has a higher ceiling. Heck with that reasoning then don't worry guys we are going to have a glorious season - as soon as I can catch a flight to Fayetteville. CBB will surely give me more carries as I have a higher ceiling than Marshall considering a 55 year old guy is further down in the cellar than a 20 year old athlete.  ;)

Marshall #67 RB and Collins #1. As you should expect from a #1 RB broke records as a freshman in the SEC. Do you really think Marshall is going higher than that? He is a good kid and will do well for the Hogs, so quit making ridiculous claims.

With all due respect,   please read what is said before trying to ridicule my post.

WHERE DID I SAY MARSHALL SHOULD HAVE MORE CARRIES BECAUSE HE HAS A HIGHER CEILING????....

I did not say that or make any ridiculous claims that you mention. 

Then you go off making ridiculous comments.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Stan on March 16, 2014, 05:55:37 pm
With all due respect,   please read what is said before trying to ridicule my post.

WHERE DID I SAY MARSHALL SHOULD HAVE MORE CARRIES BECAUSE HE HAS A HIGHER CEILING????....

I did not say that or make any riduculous claims.  Then you go off making ridiculous comments.

Stan this is what said:

Quote from: Stan on March 15, 2014, 04:39:22 pm
Based on what we have seen so far and what Bielema recently said....I would say JWill deserves more carries,  but Marshall has a higher ceiling,  because of his lack of experience and his speed.   I am l not knocking  Collins, he is very good, but IMO he seems to lack the  break away speed of Marshall.

The OP is talking about carries and you start off talking about carries. Then you mention Marshall having the higher ceiling. Your comments sure read like you are discussing carries.

I apologize if I read your comments wrongly, but I hope you can see how I read your comments as I did. My bad.

Pork Twain

Was this a serious question?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hogtimes

Quote from: locusbug on March 16, 2014, 06:13:14 pm
Stan this is what said:

The OP is talking about carries and you start off talking about carries. Then you mention Marshall having the higher ceiling. Your comments sure read like you are discussing carries.

I apologize if I read your comments wrongly, but I hope you can see how I read your comments as I did. My bad.

The OP asked two questions.  Who deserves more carries? and who has the higher ceiling?.   I answered those questions.   I said Jwill deserved more carries and Marshall had the higher ceiling.   And that was the post you quoted.

Apology accepted and I understand if you read my post wrong.   No hard feelings.   I just do not understand why so many posters on this board believe they have to ridicule a fellow Razorback's post to make a point or disagree.

Hogeration

Posting with fear of certain media person(s) talking down to me.  JWill is better than anyone we have.  He runs harder and legs never quit moving.  I love Collins and love his moves, but JWill should get the work load with Collins coming in as the change up.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hogeration on March 16, 2014, 06:35:56 pm
Posting with fear of certain media person(s) talking down to me.  JWill is better than anyone we have.  He runs harder and legs never quit moving.  I love Collins and love his moves, but JWill should get the work load with Collins coming in as the change up.

I think it's also reasonable to assume that AC will gain a lot of strength this off season, and he may up his game in the power running category.  JWill improved a lot between his Fr. and Soph. campaigns as well, and a year in a CFB SAC program can make a big difference.  I can't think of a reason why we won't see an AC this year who will be harder to take down. 

Likewise..JWill should be even that much stronger himself.  I still say we need both, and their styles are enough different that it could easily come down to the defense we're facing, their personnel, and their style of play.  But...NEITHER of them would be as effective without the other spelling them and keeping both fresh. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Stan on March 16, 2014, 06:28:07 pm
The OP asked two questions.  Who deserves more carries? and who has the higher ceiling?.   I answered those questions.   I said Jwill deserved more carries and Marshall had the higher ceiling.   And that was the post you quoted.

Apology accepted and I understand if you read my post wrong.   No hard feelings.   I just do not understand why so many posters on this board believe they have to ridicule a fellow Razorback's post to make a point or disagree.

I use to be pretty respectful on here (still am with most of the old timers), but the last two years of agenda and negativity have caused me to get snarky. Lanny putting his foot down a few days ago has allowed for better discussion. Unfortunately it is hard to stop snarky so quickly. I'm trying though!  ;D

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 16, 2014, 04:46:30 pm
  This is dumb. Broderick Green is he the best RB in Arkansas history because he has a 99 yard TD?
I'm holding my tongue, errgh, fingers on this one....look, read the WHOLE of my comment about Alex and JWill and make an attempt to comprehend what you read.  Broderick Green's 99 yard run was against an inept Eastern Michigan team who put 9 in the box on that particular play....after he popped the line of scrimmage he had two guys to beat, one was blocked, the other maybe weighed 175 lbs dripping wet with his helmet on. Broderick, God love him, took a good 13 seconds to run 100 yards. If you doubt it, take a look at youtube and time it. Anyway, if you don't think speed kills in football, why do all the NFL scouts 'spank hank' when the guys at the Combine run the 40 ?  I just want to see Alex in overdrive and he never really got a chance to hit that top-in gear last year. Comprende' ?
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HVHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 15, 2014, 05:29:16 pm
Too many enamored with raw speed. Forty times this, forty times that. Former Hog & USC WR Damien Williams finished 4th at the 7-A West track meet his senior year. Didn't qualify for the state meet (and Arkansas HS track is nothing to write home about).

He ended up in the NFL.

Collins is an Emmitt Smith type back and yes, he has NFL potential.

Korliss Marshall is a guy you bring in with fresh legs in the 3rd quarter to take advantage of tired defensive players. Call it shock with a little awe thrown in but you never want to overuse a guy like that.

The question posed in the title of this thread is a no brainer. In fact there is no point in asking such a question.

This.  And, AC is a physical runner who can run over people.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 16, 2014, 06:45:57 pm
I'm holding my tongue, errgh, fingers on this one....look, read the WHOLE of my comment about Alex and JWill and make an attempt to comprehend what you read.  Broderick Green's 99 yard run was against an inept Eastern Michigan team who put 9 in the box on that particular play....after he popped the line of scrimmage he had two guys to beat, one was blocked, the other maybe weighed 175 lbs dripping wet with his helmet on. Broderick, God love him, took a good 13 seconds to run 100 yards. If you doubt it, take a look at youtube and time it. Anyway, if you don't think speed kills in football, why do all the NFL scouts 'spank hank' when the guys at the Combine run the 40 ?  I just want to see Alex in overdrive and he never really got a chance to hit that top-in gear last year. Comprende' ?

I understood the first time, I just think that saying a back is better because he pops off a long run is not an accurate statement. Korliss Marshall before we forget, had 0 rushing TD's last year and his longest run was 32 yards. I'm just saying lot's stop acting like this guy was breaking off long TD runs....because he wasn't. I do think Marshall  earned the right for more carries and so did the coaching staff. The guy is obviously explosive. Hopefully we can develop a passing game this year and  get some of the teams to stop loading the box, that should open up some of these long runs.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Notshavin on March 16, 2014, 07:22:26 pm
We could probably use him at safety...

Care to speculate as to why he isn't there?
Go Hogs Go!

March 16, 2014, 07:36:46 pm #96 Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 08:04:26 pm by Notshavin
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 16, 2014, 07:28:29 pm
Care to speculate as to why he isn't there?

BB may move him back to safety(according to some) - he has not done so yet, because of KM's production when given the opportunity at RB.

I'll defer to Mike and other media for any more specifics regarding KM.

Melorock089

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 16, 2014, 01:57:42 pm

He's said several times that he'd prefer to play safety.

Well we know it's confirmed at least. We could certainly use the help there and still use Marshall as punt/kick returner. The coaches must think pretty highly of him as a situational RB then.

RazorRooter

Quote from: TeedupHigh on March 15, 2014, 08:29:54 pm
Hogville loves the second team QB, 3rd team RB and a coach we don't have!! Smh! sometime it's hard to take this crap as real!!

^^^^^
This is sooooo true. We need more talent on defense, and I wish KM would get the opp to play safety. We are in very good shape at tailback with two proven veterans coming back. Our previous coach has us clamoring for more offense. We must get better on D.
It is ALWAYS Hog Tyme!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Notshavin on March 16, 2014, 07:36:46 pm
BB may move him back to safety(according to some) - he has not done so yet, because of KM's production when given the opportunity at RB.

I'll defer to Mike and other media for any more specifics regarding KM.

Everything I have heard is that he is staying at RB and Return Specialist. I haven't heard Bielema say anything about moving him to part time Safety, though, I wouldn't be shocked if it did happen because it seems that is what Marshall would prefer.

What I don't know is, does Marshall want to make the move there for playing time because he thinks that he could break into the starting line up there sooner than at RB, or simply because that is where he truly wants to play?
Go Hogs Go!