Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The better RB: AC or KM

Started by Prestworthy, March 15, 2014, 10:50:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Prestworthy

Based on what we've seen so far, who deserves more carries?

Who has a higher ceiling?

trashcan maN

Alex and JWill should get 80-85% of the carries - no question.

Korliss just needs to bide his time. If JWill breaks out this year, he will go pro.

From what little I've seen, Korliss looks to have tremendous upside, but then again, I haven't watched film of him pass blocking and haven't seen him run between the tackles much.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 15, 2014, 10:50:47 am
Based on what we've seen so far, who deserves more carries?

Who has a higher ceiling?

So you are already dismissing a 900 yard rusher from last year for a kid who had 146 yards rushing last year? I'll grant you that Marshall is talented and he has a better second gear when in the open than Collins and is a talented return artist and he has great potential for the future, but Williams will share the starting nod with Collins, unless Williams completely screws up the spring and fall practices.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 15, 2014, 11:02:07 am
So you are already dismissing a 900 yard rusher from last year for a kid who had 146 yards rushing last year? I'll grant you that Marshall is talented and he has a better second gear when in the open than Collins and is a talented return artist and he has great potential for the future, but Williams will share the starting nod with Collins, unless Williams completely screws up the spring and fall practices.
I think you have it wrong, Collins will share the starting nod, unless Collins screws up the spring and fall practices.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on March 15, 2014, 11:08:11 am
I think you have it wrong, Collins will share the starting nod, unless Collins screws up the spring and fall practices.

tomato-tomatoe
Go Hogs Go!

PonderinHog

Unvalid pole.  No Frito Pie.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

ldfergu

Pretty hard to make this comparison based on the fact that KM has had a fraction of the carries AC has....

There's no way to really tell at this point.  If Collins hits that extra gear this year and breaks some long TD runs we will be singing his praise.  Personally, I think KM may have a higher ceiling and I look forward to his progression.

WPS

PonderinHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 15, 2014, 11:27:29 am
Invalid? No policing meant here. ;)
Poll, pole.  Unvalid, invalid.   ;D

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 15, 2014, 11:49:23 am
Poll, pole.  Unvalid, invalid.   ;D

Got it. Tomato, tomatoe. I'm on board, sort of.
Go Hogs Go!

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on March 15, 2014, 11:29:03 am
Pretty hard to make this comparison based on the fact that KM has had a fraction of the carries AC has....

There's no way to really tell at this point.  If Collins hits that extra gear this year and breaks some long TD runs we will be singing his praise.  Personally, I think KM may have a higher ceiling and I look forward to his progression.

WPS

Actually it's pretty easy to compare. Both were true freshman last year. One was sharing the startin spot and had 1000 yards. One got a handful carries a game as the number 3 rb. Pretty easy to tell who the better rb is. And honestly, if korliss wasn't from arkansas this topic never would have been posted.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on March 15, 2014, 12:44:14 pm
Actually it's pretty easy to compare. Both were true freshman last year. One was sharing the startin spot and had 1000 yards. One got a handful carries a game as the number 3 rb. Pretty easy to tell who the better rb is. And honestly, if korliss wasn't from arkansas this topic never would have been posted.

Not sure it is that cut and dried, though obviously Collins demonstrated something that Marshall didn't, in order to get into the 2 deep rotation. Maybe it was a grasp of the offense and the audibles, as opposed to physcial ability? Maybe he demonstrated a greater ability to receive passes out of the backfield, than Marshall did early on? Not sure.

What I do know is that Marshall is a dangerous returner and that when he is at RB, he runs hard and when he breaks the LOS and hits an open spot, he can shift into a higher gear that Collins has yet to demonstrate. In other words, Marshall can run away from people, as can Williams, both of whom can leave people in their wake. As good as Collins has shown that he can be running the ball, he hasn't shown the same ability at this point, of the other two of breaking free and being able to have that speed to run away from folks in the open field.

And FYI, this has nothing to do with Marshall being from Arkansas, just a statement of fact.
Go Hogs Go!

LA Football fan

They are just two completely different type running backs.  Alex has the more polished moves, cut on a dime and leave you in your tracks, type runner.  Korliss is more of a get a little leverage and turn on the jets type runner with a better ability to break tackles on contact.

Alex will get you yards when it doesn't appear you will make anything.  Can see the backside cut as good as any runner we have had.

Korliss is more of a run to daylight type runner but even though we didn't see much of it last year, I do think he can run between the tackles more effectively due to his tackle breaking ability.

Anyway, it is a good problem to have.  3 good running backs that you can run a variety of running plays for gives the OC a chance to open up the playbook and keep the defense guessing.

tophawg19

one advantage with KM IS he starts quicker and doesn't need as much blocking or as big a hole
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

redeye

I've been very impressed with Marshall, but we haven't seen much of him, yet.  Personally, I'd like to see all three of them used more equally.  I think Collins was used too much last year and probably didn't have fresh legs at times.

Hogtimes

Based on what we have seen so far and what Bielema recently said....I would say JWill deserves more carries,  but Marshall has a higher ceiling,  because of his lack of experience and his speed.   I am l not knocking  Collins, he is very good, but IMO he seems to lack the  break away speed of Marshall.

Mike Irwin

Let's see, Collins makes the SEC all freshman team, has 1,000 + yards rushing but one of his own freshmen teammates is actually better and should get more carries in the future because he has a higher ceiling and is faster.

Man this coaching staff is dumb. Why didn't they see that?

DEVIL DOG HOG

They are both great runners and both are Hogs!  That's all that matters.....
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 15, 2014, 04:55:32 pm
Let's see, Collins makes the SEC all freshman team, has 1,000 + yards rushing but one of his own freshmen teammates is actually better and should get more carries in the future because he has a higher ceiling and is faster.

+1  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Atlhogfan1

Collins.  We can discuss Williams to Collins.  Not Marshall.  Marshall has the top end speed Collins hasn't come close to showing.  But there is no contest between best RB if it is Collins to Marshall. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Mike Irwin

Too many enamored with raw speed. Forty times this, forty times that. Former Hog & USC WR Damien Williams finished 4th at the 7-A West track meet his senior year. Didn't qualify for the state meet (and Arkansas HS track is nothing to write home about).

He ended up in the NFL.

Collins is an Emmitt Smith type back and yes, he has NFL potential.

Korliss Marshall is a guy you bring in with fresh legs in the 3rd quarter to take advantage of tired defensive players. Call it shock with a little awe thrown in but you never want to overuse a guy like that.

The question posed in the title of this thread is a no brainer. In fact there is no point in asking such a question.

redeye

Hey, I never understood why Hatfield didn't use Barry Foster more and Foster's pro career did nothing to explain it, either.

chiti66

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 15, 2014, 05:16:34 pm
Collins.  We can discuss Williams to Collins.  Not Marshall.  Marshall has the top end speed Collins hasn't come close to showing.  But there is no contest between best RB if it is Collins to Marshall. 
This!

Prestworthy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 15, 2014, 05:29:16 pm
Too many enamored with raw speed. Forty times this, forty times that. Former Hog & USC WR Damien Williams finished 4th at the 7-A West track meet his senior year. Didn't qualify for the state meet (and Arkansas HS track is nothing to write home about).

He ended up in the NFL.

Korliss Marshall is a guy you bring in with fresh legs in the 3rd quarter to take advantage of tired defensive players. Call it shock with a little awe thrown in but you never want to overuse a guy like that.

The question posed in the title of this thread is a no brainer. In fact there is no point in asking such a question.
I disagree, Mike.  There is a reason to ask the question.  From what we have seen, with what Collins has to offer and the glimpses seen in KM's game, there are guys on both sides of the fence.  Some say KM has a higher ceiling...and I agree.  I think you give KM the amount of carries that Collins had, and you would see a DMAC kind of back...find a hole and explode through it. Top end speed and vision are what separate a good back from a great one.  KM had the explosion through the whole that Collins didn't have.  Therefore, my question was valid and pertinent.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: redeye on March 15, 2014, 05:31:14 pm
Hey, I never understood why Hatfield didn't use Barry Foster more and Foster's pro career did nothing to explain it, either.
Hatfield used a full house backfield. Foster was the starter at fullback, a position every bit as important as the two running backs. He got plenty of carries. Way more than Marshall did last year.

Foster: A starter.
Marshall: A spot duty backup.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 15, 2014, 05:29:16 pm

He ended up in the NFL.

Ray Rice for the younger kids.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

bennyl08

Collins had incredible explosion through the hole, and is better at breaking tackles, as well as with a better frame to handle 250+ carries in the SEC. Marshall has higher top end speed, but isn't quicker to hit the hole than Collins.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 15, 2014, 05:36:52 pm
I disagree, Mike.  There is a reason to ask the question.  From what we have seen, with what Collins has to offer and the glimpses seen in KM's game, there are guys on both sides of the fence.  Some say KM has a higher ceiling...and I agree.  I think you give KM the amount of carries that Collins had, and you would see a DMAC kind of back...find a hole and explode through it. Top end speed and vision are what separate a good back from a great one.  KM had the explosion through the whole that Collins didn't have.  Therefore, my question was valid and pertinent.

We don't know what KM can do through a hole, the vast majority were toss sweeps, so that question remains.

redeye

From what little I've seen of Marshall, he reminds me of Madre Hill.  Hill probably should have been used more sparingly, like Mike Irwin says we should do with Marshall.

Atlhogfan1

We do need "home run" hitters though.  Marshall has it.  Williams has it.  Williams is the best combo of speed, power and running.  Somehow a back that good is overlooked. 

Collins makes cuts in traffic unlike any back we have had.  Talley, Smith, Jones were all good, quick speed backs.  Not sure they had the vision or cutting ability at the line of scrimmage Collins has.

ChitownHawg

So what you are saying is "Joe fan" can see a potential Dmac on the team, but our coaches cannot? As someone said earlier - when you need a yard where there is no yard - Collins has shown to do this.

Some of you guys are amazing. We get the girl that everyone wanted and you are now looking at the girl standing next to the wall. You most definitely can ask the question, but the more pertinent question is - will Collins take over the starting position?

KM is a change of pace only back.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Mike Irwin

That's the real issue here. Some Hog fans are waiting for the next D-Mac to come along. Guess what? If Korliss Marshall had D-Mac's ability he would have started last year. He doesn't and he didn't.

I like the kid. He can help them in the role they have for him. But as long as J-Will and AC are healthy they are going to play in front of him. To suggest otherwise is to suggest that Bielema, Chaney and Thomas don't know what they are doing (which you are suggesting with your question).

wupigsuey

Jwill had more yards per carry than Collins. That is all.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: locusbug on March 15, 2014, 05:44:11 pm
Some of you guys are amazing. We get the girl that everyone wanted and you are now looking at the girl standing next to the wall.
That's where I'm coming from. Collins was one of the few bright spots in an extremely depressing season and now we're supposed to believe that starting him might have been a mistake? That Korliss Marshall might have been better?

Good grief.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: wupigsuey on March 15, 2014, 05:51:57 pm

What is impressive to me about JWill is you take your stat and realize he remained a true teammate. Some backs would get disgruntled about losing carries.

Actually both should be commended for accepting the shared roles. I will not gripe no matter who starts. it is like 1 and 1A.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: wupigsuey on March 15, 2014, 05:51:57 pm
If there's an argument that another back should get more of Collin's carries it would be J-Will, not Korliss Marshall.

wupigsuey

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 15, 2014, 06:00:17 pm
If there's an argument that another back should get more of Collin's carries it would be J-Will, not Korliss Marshall.

Right. I would argue that Jwill should get the majority of the carries. AC is a stud, no doubt about that but, the more yards per carry the better.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

bennyl08

Quote from: wupigsuey on March 15, 2014, 06:07:12 pm
Right. I would argue that Jwill should get the majority of the carries. AC is a stud, no doubt about that but, the more yards per carry the better.

My guess is that when defenses were simply loading the box that the coaches felt Collins stood a better chance of getting something positive than Williams, so he received more carries in less than ideal situations.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 15, 2014, 06:21:34 pm
My guess is that when defenses were simply loading the box that the coaches felt Collins stood a better chance of getting something positive than Williams, so he received more carries in less than ideal situations.

True. There were several games last year where the running game seemed to be stalled, and then we had a heavy dose of Collins to move the ball. It is nice to have two backs like this.

redeye

March 15, 2014, 07:02:33 pm #40 Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 08:08:31 pm by redeye
Quote from: wupigsuey on March 15, 2014, 06:07:12 pm

I'd like to see them carry it more equally, unless one is having a better day.

How is Marshall at catching passes?  I agree that he's not an every down back, but also agree that we need more home run threats.  I'd be all for him receiving equal time, also, if he could catch passes.

Btw, how big is Marshall?  His 247 profile says 6'0 196 lbs, which isn't exactly small.  Anyone know what his weaknesses are?

Update: To answer my own question, Marshall is now up to 203 according to Bennyl08's thread on weight gain.  That's 3 pounds heavier then what Collin's played at last year, so I assume his problems have nothing to do with size.

Prestworthy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 15, 2014, 06:00:17 pm
After the first 3 cupcake games of 2013, AC was pretty average.  Only 100+ yard game in SEC play was aTm.

I'm not doggin' AC.  I'm just calling it like I see it.  AC has great potential.  But I personally think KM plays faster.

secneahog

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 15, 2014, 07:20:20 pm
After the first 3 cupcake games of 2013, AC was pretty average.  Only 100+ yard game in SEC play was aTm.

I'm not doggin' AC.  I'm just calling it like I see it.  AC has great potential.  But I personally think KM plays faster.

I don't think they are saying your dogging him, they are saying your statements are ridiculous.  AC is a special player. He runs hard every play. Even when we was losing 45-0 he was running hard.
AC is a glider type of runner, that is what coach thomas called him and I see it.
They guy makes great moves. I know after breaking down some games, AC took a few bad cuts, angles. If he would have went a different direction in his cut he would have been gone.
I'm sure that is very common for a TFRESHMAN.
I don't think we have seen AC true potential yet bc he was just a true freshman.  He will be even better his sophomore year.

J.will.
AC.
KM/Evans.

Do not make the mistake and forget about denzel evans. Kid is up to 220.  Very good north and south runner.

Oh ya...KM role as a return guy and a change of pace is great..I like it.
I'll go with what our millionaire coach says.

Fyi...to say AC was average after the first 3 games just shows how lil you know about football. 
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

TeedupHigh

Hogville loves the second team QB, 3rd team RB and a coach we don't have!! Smh! sometime it's hard to take this crap as real!!

wupigsuey

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 15, 2014, 06:21:34 pm

My guess is that Williams weighs more and doesn't run as high. Defenses stacked against us all year. Collins is shiftier. Williams is more of a power runner.

Porkerpower

I think Collins is a super back, NFL lock if he doesn't get hurt.  Very humble, will keep busting it in practice.  His body will mature and he'll get stronger.  A real stud at RB.

Hey, we have 3 very good backs, but I think Alex Collins is our A back for sure.

tophawg19

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 15, 2014, 05:38:01 pm
Hatfield used a full house backfield. Foster was the starter at fullback, a position every bit as important as the two running backs. He got plenty of carries. Way more than Marshall did last year.

Foster: A starter.
Marshall: A spot duty backup.

Marshall isn't a spot duty back up . he has the ability to be another D-MAC . You know that other spot duty back up as a freshmen .

tophawg19

Quote from: locusbug on March 15, 2014, 05:44:11 pm
So what you are saying is "Joe fan" can see a potential Dmac on the team, but our coaches cannot? As someone said earlier - when you need a yard where there is no yard - Collins has shown to do this.

Some of you guys are amazing. We get the girl that everyone wanted and you are now looking at the girl standing next to the wall. You most definitely can ask the question, but the more pertinent question is - will Collins take over the starting position?

KM is a change of pace only back.
yeah the coaches are always right . that's why D-MAC and felix sat on the bench for over half their freshmen seasons

tophawg19

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 15, 2014, 05:47:28 pm
That's the real issue here. Some Hog fans are waiting for the next D-Mac to come along. Guess what? If Korliss Marshall had D-Mac's ability he would have started last year. He doesn't and he didn't.

I like the kid. He can help them in the role they have for him. But as long as J-Will and AC are healthy they are going to play in front of him. To suggest otherwise is to suggest that Bielema, Chaney and Thomas don't know what they are doing (which you are suggesting with your question).

you keep tossing d-mac without remembering that d-mac didn't start as a freshmen until later in the season . KM was working on the defensive side of the ball till his work on scout team got him noticed .

Prestworthy

See...I'm not the only one who thinks KM has that "it" factor.  AC is a good back.  He'll be a really good one this season.  But don't be shocked if he splits an equal amount of carries with KM by their junior season.