Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pete Carrol and Jimmy Johnson

Started by Piggfoot, February 02, 2014, 09:16:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

Both wanted to be Arkansas' head football coach but
Frank said .....No!  Unbelievable !!!
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Michael Porkleone

I don't buy that Pete Carroll wanted the job.
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

atekido

makes perfect since.  he had not be long gone from here and had Yet to make a big name for himself.   always heard he had reached out to the UofA but Frank didn't want anyone from a certain slobbering bafoon's staff to be the coach.

Michael Porkleone

The timing doesn't make sense at all. 

Wally is saying Pete wanted out of the Patriot organization after his first year? After winning the AFC East in 1997?

Doesn't add up at all.
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: qdoc on February 02, 2014, 09:16:30 pm

WRONG. Only one of those ever really wanted the job.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bigbadhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 03, 2014, 07:32:05 am
WRONG. Only one of those ever really wanted the job.

Correct and that one cried when Hatfield got it in 1984.  However, revenge was sweat for him in 1987 when his Miami team destroyed a top 10 Razorback team in LR 51-7 (38-0 at the half).  JJ's great success should have been at Arkansas but Broyles screwed it up...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

OTTER

You are right--not believable at all.  One did, one didn't. 
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bigbadhog on February 03, 2014, 07:40:48 am
Correct and that one cried when Hatfield got it in 1984.  However, revenge was sweat for him in 1987 when his Miami team destroyed a top 10 Razorback team in LR 51-7 (38-0 at the half).  JJ's great success should have been at Arkansas but Broyles screwed it up...

As I said in another post. Hindsight is always 20/20. At the time Hatfield was hired I honestly believe most AD's would have hired him instead. If Jimmy felt that strongly about it then yes he did extract a measure of revenge. I was there and that game was until the Citadel game the worst I've ever attended while watching the Hogs. Running up the score on Franks program because you were po'd at the person that didn't hire you is one thing and fine but running it up on your alma mater where you wore the uniform and played isn't cool.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hoggusamoungus

All those stud FL recruits he had at Miami would not have come to UofA and his record would have been no better or worse than Hatfield's.

Mike Irwin

Pete Carroll was on Lou Holtz's staff at Arkansas as a grad assistant. I thought he was a complete geek.

It's always easy to look back in hindsight and say somebody should have hired this guy or that guy. Problem is, it's not always obvious at the time you pass on them.

I liked Jimmy Johnson when he was at Arkansas mainly because he was funny and did great TV interviews. I didn't have a clue if he'd be a good head coach. Even when he came in to interview in December of 1983 I didn't see him as a slam dunk hire. He'd done some good things at OSU but there were rumors that he was cheating.

After Jimmy went to Miami it was obvious that Frank passed on a top notch recruiter and a coach who could relate to his players. On top of that he was smart as a whip. But I only learned that from talking to Hatfield who said that at Arkansas Jimmy would stay out all night on Dickson street and ace a test the next day on no sleep.

BTW Ed Orgeron was a weight room grad assistant under Hatfield. I thought he had the I.Q of a turnip mainly because I couldn't understand a word he said. Most of us in the Hogs media would walk the other way when we saw him coming.

I was dumbfounded when he started showing off his recruiting skills several years later. Guess I would make a terrible AD.

Inhogswetrust

February 03, 2014, 01:32:39 pm #10 Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:05:31 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 03, 2014, 01:03:36 pm
Pete Carroll was on Lou Holtz's staff at Arkansas as a grad assistant. I thought he was a complete geek.

It's always easy to look back in hindsight and say somebody should have hired this guy or that guy. Problem is, it's not always obvious at the time you pass on them.

I liked Jimmy Johnson when he was at Arkansas mainly because he was funny and did great TV interviews. I didn't have a clue if he'd be a good head coach. Even when he came in to interview in December of 1983 I didn't see him as a slam dunk hire. He'd done some good things at OSU but there were rumors that he was cheating.

After Jimmy went to Miami it was obvious that Frank passed on a top notch recruiter and a coach who could relate to his players. On top of that he was smart as a whip. But I only learned that from talking to Hatfield who said that at Arkansas Jimmy would stay out all night on Dickson street and ace a test the next day on no sleep.

BTW Ed Orgeron was a weight room grad assistant under Hatfield. I thought he had the I.Q of a turnip mainly because I couldn't understand a word he said. Most of us in the Hogs media would walk the other way when we saw him coming.

I was dumbfounded when he started showing off his recruiting skills several years later. Guess I would make a terrible AD.

Not sure if you would be a good AD either but I wouldn't bet against it. I know I would not. But you are a damn good sports media person. It's good to have someone like you associated with the Hogs in that way. That being said I didn't realize you have been around here that long.

1highhog

Damn Mike, you're older than Moses!  I didn't know you'd been around for so long, lol!  Great story and I sure didn't know Ed Orgeron was on Hatfields staff.  I would like to know as far as all the Coaches that have been here at Arkansas how many National Championships and Super Bowls have they won.  Frank Broyles had a huge Coaching tree with major success, even though I know Carroll and Holtz were not actually assistant Coaches under Broyles, they were apart of Arkansas at one point.

Of Super Bowls, I know that Gibbs won 3 with Washington, Switzer won 1 with Dallas, Carroll won his 1st last night with Seattle, Johnson won 2 with Dallas, that's all that I can think of that spent some time on the Hill during playing days or Early Coaching days.  Anyone think of anybody else?

East TN HAWG

February 03, 2014, 02:19:13 pm #12 Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 02:31:10 pm by East TN HAWG
nm.

Been10Hog

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on February 03, 2014, 01:00:03 pm
All those stud FL recruits he had at Miami would not have come to UofA and his record would have been no better or worse than Hatfield's.
Very true! And remember Hatfield had just been named national coach of the year after beating Notre Dame. He won with inferior talent through discipline while Jimmy "out athleted" people. To JFB a coach who could win with less talent was attractive to go against Texas who would always have better talent than Hogs. JJ couldn't beat Switzer with inferior talent, so why would JFB think he could beat Texas?

Been10Hog

JJ couldn't beat Switzer when he was at Okie state with inferior talent. When he was at Miami with equal or better talent he did

Wild Bill Hog

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Been10Hog on February 03, 2014, 03:11:13 pm
JJ couldn't beat Switzer when he was at Okie state with inferior talent. When he was at Miami with equal or better talent he did

Johnson's Miami teams definitely overall had better talent than Switzer's OU teams those seasons Johnson won against Switzer.  What Switzer had though that made it extremely difficult for Johnson to still win against him even though Johnson had more talent is that Switzer was utilizing the triple-option, which was very difficult to prepare for because of the precision of Switzer's OU triple-option. 

Plus, Switzer had excellent defensive coordinating (perhaps the best defensive coordinating of all-time at the collegiate level) with Gary Gibbs and Gibbs' elite defensive scheming, coordinating, and coaching.

Johnson's Miami teams won against Switzer, but Johnson if "pinned down about it" would probably admit that it was no easy task to win those games against Switzer. 

Been10Hog

Overall team speed shuts down the big play in the triple option. That's why Miami ruled OU and why OU and Miami ruled the hogs

hogfan10

JJ's great success at Miami would have never happened in Fayetteville. He could walk out his front door in Miami and field a team, not so in Fayetteville.
The only thing he would have accomplished here that he also did in Miami, would have been probation for the football team.

superior_wang

i dont buy for one second Pete would want to be the hog coach. Just bc he has a few ties here, i mean hell, i drove through North Dakota once but I sure as hell dont wanna live there.

TeedupHigh

Quote from: Torqued pork on February 03, 2014, 12:10:35 pm
Yep. Broyles was the only obstacle that kept us from being Bama in football and UCLA in roundball. Right, morons?

You said it and it damn well could have been true!  JFB hated to be overshadowed by anyone and even at the expense of the program!  All about his legacy and now look at it!  He single handed killed ARKANSAS FOOTBALL & BASKETBALL and did it in a short time. Just sad that some of you can't see it!  JJ should have been the Coach and Nolan shoule never have been treated the way he was!

Buff

Sir Oinksalot

...yes on Pete Carrol. He wrote today that Pete didn't like the operators at New England after he was hired coach there

and called Franks office about the vacancy and Frank never returned his call.....we got Nutt instead woohoo!

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

majestic

Sweaty revenge is the best kind!
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on February 04, 2014, 01:56:26 pm
...yes on Pete Carrol. He wrote today that Pete didn't like the operators at New England after he was hired coach there

and called Franks office about the vacancy and Frank never returned his call.....we got Nutt instead woohoo!
John White's committee hired Nutt. Nutt used his connections in-state to lobby the fool out of the committee. I know because they even lobbied the media (as if we had any say over who was going to be hired).

That committee was hell bent on hiring Nutt.

IllinoisRazorbackFan

Taking the UA football history into account, both coaches probably would have been fired once they had the football program relevant on a national level, again taking history into account.

Pork Twain

People just be making shirt up on here...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: BeoPig™ on February 04, 2014, 03:21:01 pm
People just be making shirt up on here...

Glad somebody else feels that way.  I doubt Pete Carroll could find Arkansas on a map now. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 04, 2014, 04:33:38 pm
Glad somebody else feels that way.  I doubt Pete Carroll could find Arkansas on a map now.

But....but....but....He was a GA here once, which means this is his DREAM job. Still.

bp

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 04, 2014, 04:33:38 pm

He may be geographically challenged but he apparently still knows the fight song.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/18660657/report-arkansas-contacted-pete-carroll-steve-mariucci-about-opening

redeye

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 03, 2014, 01:03:36 pm

It would be hard to say that Broyles wasn't a successful AD, but I think you just described the difference between a successful AD and one that's not.

Lot's of interesting information in your post.  Thanks Mike!

You have a link to that?  Seems like I've heard this before, but can't remember.  Would love to see a link to verify it.

Pork Twain

...yes on Pete Carrol. He wrote today that Pete didn't like the operators at New England after he was hired coach there and called Franks office about the vacancy and Frank never returned his call.....we got Nutt instead woohoo!

Not buying it.  Pete Coached at NE from 1997-1999 and we hired HDN in 97.

I mean, I am sure that one year as a GA had a huge impact on a west coast kid and all but...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Pork Twain

AloRaptor

Of course. All successful coaches wanted to coach at Arkansas we just passed on them. :o

EastexHawg

Jimmy Johnson is the smartest football coach I have ever seen.  He would have won anyway because mentally he was Bobby Fischer playing chess against the kinesiology major checkers players across the field from him.  Give him superior talent and the NFL had to institute a salary cap to prevent him from potentially running a dynasty.

I know he was never a possibility, but as I said during last year's coaching search Pete Carroll would have been the grand slam home run to win the World Series with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning hire.  He's the one coach who could have come to Arkansas and recruited and coached the program to Saban/Bama level eventually.

redeye

Quote from: BeoPig™ on February 04, 2014, 05:32:31 pm
Not buying it.  Pete Coached at NE from 1997-1999 and we hired HDN in 97.

I mean, I am sure that one year as a GA had a huge impact on a west coast kid and all but...

Unless I'm missing something, that adds up.  He said he called Frank AFTER he was hired at New England, so it could have been before Nutt was hired.  I would find it surprising myself, but I think I've heard this story before years ago.

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: redeye on February 04, 2014, 04:48:41 pm
It would be hard to say that Broyles wasn't a successful AD, but I think you just described the difference between a successful AD and one that's not.

Lot's of interesting information in your post.  Thanks Mike!

You have a link to that?  Seems like I've heard this before, but can't remember.  Would love to see a link to verify it.

...in lil Wally's column today ADG.......I could cut and paste it but every time I do that someone on here yelps...

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 04, 2014, 02:36:44 pm
John White's committee hired Nutt. Nutt used his connections in-state to lobby the fool out of the committee. I know because they even lobbied the media (as if we had any say over who was going to be hired).

That committee was hell bent on hiring Nutt.

...thanks Mike.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: AloRaptor on February 04, 2014, 05:40:29 pm
Of course. All successful coaches wanted to coach at Arkansas we just passed on them. :o

^^^This^^^
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Pork Twain

Quote from: redeye on February 04, 2014, 06:21:12 pm
Unless I'm missing something, that adds up.  He said he called Frank AFTER he was hired at New England, so it could have been before Nutt was hired.  I would find it surprising myself, but I think I've heard this story before years ago.
Nutt was hired very early December 1997 and Pete was coaching the Pats for the 1997 season.

Rumors are rumors until there is proof.  ESPECIALLY where Hogville is concerned.

HoggyCat

I'll never believe Carroll wanted the job at that time. But it is known we could've had Switzer though.

But just for S&G, lets say PC did want to come here. Only 3 coaches have won a college championship and Super Bowl as head coach. All three couldve won the natty here before moving on.

All three were here at one time during their career though, so I guess that counts for something.

[attachment deleted by admin]
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

LZH

Quote from: HoggyCat on February 04, 2014, 11:18:22 pm
I'll never believe Carroll wanted the job at that time. But it is known we could've had Switzer though.

But just for S&G, lets say PC did want to come here. Only 3 coaches have won a college championship and Super Bowl as head coach. All three couldve won the natty here before moving on.

All three were here at one time during their career though, so I guess that counts for something.

Holy moly!  Who'da thought this kid will win 2 national championships and a Super Bowl?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 05, 2014, 12:18:59 am
Holy moly!  Who'da thought this kid will win 2 national championships and a Super Bowl?

Gotta be the pants!
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

thirrdegreetusker

What vacancy? Ford was our HC in the time frame suggested by "didn't like the operators at New England after he was hired coach there".

In the time frame where there WAS a vacancy, PC would have been in the home stretch of an AFC East title run. Even if he had misgivings, common sense suggests he did not spend a lot of time "developing his options" while coaching the winning NFL team. If so, then maybe some of the "in the know" folks like Wally can tell us where else PC inquired in that time frame. Or did he just make the one call? I'm callin' BS.

superior_wang

pete looks damn good for 62 as well. Dude is a playa!

majestic

He either had 3 national championships or 1, depending on how you award them. He had 2 AP and 1 BCS.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Batesville Hogfan

I heard Vince Lombardi wanted to come back from the grave and coach the Razorbacks and Jeff Long wouldn't hire him!!! What a doofus!  Even worse than Frank....... ;)

superior_wang

Quote from: Batesville Hogfan on February 05, 2014, 10:53:58 am
I heard Vince Lombardi wanted to come back from the grave and coach the Razorbacks and Jeff Long wouldn't hire him!!! What a doofus!  Even worse than Frank....... ;)

Vince had a potty mouth, or so Jeff Said.

Inhogswetrust

You could say the same for Lou and his winning even one NC.

Mike Irwin

Back in those days there was a young sports reporter who was known for driving the players nuts with his endless questions after games.

One day after a Baylor game he was spitting them out in rapid fashion. His victim was Billy Ray Smith Jr.. I was talking to another player while half listening to what was going on next to me.

The kid fired off two or three questions in a row before Billy Ray could answer. Finally the exuberant young reporter fell silent.

Billy Ray looked up with a half grin, half sneer and said, "YOU'RE AN EAGER LITTLE BEAVER AREN'T YOU?"

From that day on the reporter was known as, The Eager Beaver.

Guess who else had that nickname courtesy of Lou Holtz?

Little Petey Carroll.

[attachment deleted by admin]