Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jimmy johnson, Barry Switzer, and Pete Carroll

Started by DoubleReedHawgCaller, February 02, 2014, 09:02:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleReedHawgCaller

The only three coaches to win a NCAA championship and a super bowl, and all three have ties to Arkansas.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

3kgthog

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 02, 2014, 09:08:19 pm
I'm sure the UA will make a t-shirt for it.

We can advertise it like we advertise the "Fastest 40 Minutes in Basketball".
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Professor Psychosis

I'll be glad when we have better "accomplishments" we can brag about.  These "they were associated with Arkansas at one point" when they have success elsewhere memes are old and ring hollow to me.

Pathogen

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on February 02, 2014, 09:02:49 pm
The only three coaches to win a NCAA championship and a super bowl, and all three have ties to Arkansas.

When I read the thread title, I thought it was going to be "Jimmy johnson, Barry Switzer, and Pete Carroll all walk into a bar..."

moses_007

Fact:  Jimmy Johnson wanted to be the head coach at Arkansas, and Frank Broyles passed on him and hired Houston Nutt.

Fact:  Pete Carroll has told close friends and relatives he always wanted to be the Head Hog... that that was his lifelong dream.

Fact:  Bill Self wanted to be our basketball coach after Nolan, and we hired Stan Heath.

Just imagine for one moment, folks, where our football and basketball programs would be today had we hired some of these guys.  It is more than obvious that we've clearly hired the wrong coaches, and more than once.

Can Arkansas rise again?  Yes we can, but it will take a coach like Pete Carroll to get it done.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: moses_007 on February 02, 2014, 09:29:47 pm
Fact:  Jimmy Johnson wanted to be the head coach at Arkansas, and Frank Broyles passed on him and hired Houston Nutt.

Fact:  Pete Carroll has told close friends and relatives he always wanted to be the Head Hog... that that was his lifelong dream.

Fact:  Bill Self wanted to be our basketball coach after Nolan, and we hired Stan Heath.

Just imagine for one moment, folks, where our football and basketball programs would be today had we hired some of these guys.  It is more than obvious that we've clearly hired the wrong coaches, and more than once.

Can Arkansas rise again?  Yes we can, but it will take a coach like Pete Carroll to get it done.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story...er, a post.

moses_007

I don't think Pete Carroll was ever considered for the job by either Broyles or Long.  Self may have been considered, but Broyles passed on him.  I think Jimmy Johnson is still mad at Broyles for passing on him.  Switzer probably would have gladly taken our head coaching job after his brief stint with Dallas, but Broyles never offered.  My oh my, what could have been.

Jek Tono Porkins

Oh really? Jimmy Johnson wanted to be head coach at Arkansas while he was taking the Miami Dolphins to the playoffs? OK bud...

QuoteFact:  Pete Carroll has told close friends and relatives he always wanted to be the Head Hog... that that was his lifelong dream.
I guess you were one of the close friends or relatives?  ::)

QuoteFact:  Bill Self wanted to be our basketball coach after Nolan, and we hired Stan Heath.
Probably true but you can thank John White for that one.

QuoteJust imagine for one moment, folks, where our football and basketball programs would be today had we hired some of these guys.  It is more than obvious that we've clearly hired the wrong coaches, and more than once.
Well I think we should have fired Nutt in 2005 and hired Bell Bellichick, so there.

QuoteCan Arkansas rise again?  Yes we can, but it will take a coach like Pete Carroll to get it done.
Because clearly you're the authority on rebuilding programs.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

go hogues

Pete's a California boy. I can't imagine any scenario where he would have longed to be the coach of a middling SWC/SEC school.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: go hogues on February 02, 2014, 09:46:12 pm
Pete's a California boy. I can't imagine any scenario where he would have longed to be the coach of a middling SWC/SEC school.
Sure you can. It's called the Fantasy Hogville Revisionist History Scenario.

LZH

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on February 02, 2014, 09:18:23 pm
I'll be glad when we have better "accomplishments" we can brag about.  These "they were associated with Arkansas at one point" when they have success elsewhere memes are old and ring hollow to me.

Amen.  How 'bout doing something while they're AT Arkansas, for a change.

redeye

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 02, 2014, 09:12:55 pm
We can advertise it like we advertise the "Fastest 40 Minutes in Basketball".

Advertise it as one stop on the road to join the super coaches club.

We may make too much out of it, but how many other schools can make the same claim?

I just hope Arkansas will one day start cashing in on some of the great opportunities we have.

Fayettechill14

Jimmy Johnson wanted to be Arkansas' coach in 1976 and 1983, not in 1997. Not really any reason to believe that Carroll ever wanted to coach here, although he was floundering in the NFL when we hired Nutt (could have a similar hire to Holtz/Petrino in terms of situation).

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: ReddieHawg on February 02, 2014, 09:38:38 pm
Oh really? Jimmy Johnson wanted to be head coach at Arkansas while he was taking the Miami Dolphins to the playoffs? OK bud...

Reddie.....Jimmy did want the Razorback job in 1984 only. But Kenny got it. That was the only time we could have got him.

sowmonella

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 02, 2014, 09:50:47 pm
Amen.  How 'bout doing something while they're AT Arkansas, for a change.

They all did pretty well at Arkansas. The 1964 and 1977 teams were our best.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

grim_sleeper

Who cares?  We have a great coach now that is recruiting really well (considering the situation)  and who I feel will have us back on top in the next couple of years. Let's focus on who we have.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on February 02, 2014, 10:39:45 pm
Reddie.....Jimmy did want the Razorback job in 1984 only. But Kenny got it. That was the only time we could have got him.
And at the time Hatfield was the better choice. Jimmy had wildly up and down seasons at Oklahoma State while Hatfield took over an atrocious Air Force program and improved every year on his way to a 10-2 record his last year.

Hindsight is 20/20 and it's easy to look back and say, "OMG Frank didn't hire Jimmy what an idiot" but Hatfield was clearly the better choice at the time.

Westcoasthog

Frank Broyles hired Ken Hatfield over Jimmy Johnson.

Atlhogfan1

I like Pete and never discredited what he did at SC.  He is a players' coach but a good one in that he knows defense and how to scheme with it.  As a Broncos fan, I was afraid he would have his team playing loose and he did.  This is how SC was in big games (if only he had run Bush on the big play vs Texas).  The Seahawks play like a great college team.  It showed tonight unfortunately. 

Arkansas now with now 3 protégés with Super Bowls.  Wish it were still 2. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Big Papa Satan

hoglady

Pete Carroll was here 1 year as a GA. I bet he hardly remembers what Fayetteville looks like.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

LutherLindsey

Poor lil ole Arkansas has always had some great talent come from within its borders.  We need to find a way to keep them here. Then provide an opportunity for them to reach their full potential. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

moses_007

Quote from: hoglady on February 03, 2014, 02:09:20 am
Pete Carroll was here 1 year as a GA. I bet he hardly remembers what Fayetteville looks like.
Sure he remembers.  Did you forget he brought his USC team to Fayetteville and beat us soundly in the opening game of the 2006 season?

LutherLindsey

The AFC championship trophy was named after Lamar Hunt.  Who just so happened to be born in Arkansas.

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: LutherLindsey on February 03, 2014, 07:03:23 am
The AFC championship trophy was named after Lamar Hunt.  Who just so happened to be born in Arkansas.

Born in El Dorado raised in Dallas and graduated from SMU
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

Inhogswetrust

I've driven in Alabama, Oklahoma, California , Michigan and Florida and bought stuff in all of them. Therefore I guess I can claim many NCAA championships!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: ReddieHawg on February 02, 2014, 11:53:31 pm
And at the time Hatfield was the better choice. Jimmy had wildly up and down seasons at Oklahoma State while Hatfield took over an atrocious Air Force program and improved every year on his way to a 10-2 record his last year.

Hindsight is 20/20 and it's easy to look back and say, "OMG Frank didn't hire Jimmy what an idiot" but Hatfield was clearly the better choice at the time.

Jimmy had NCAA troubles at Okie State, a job killer at Arkansas for JFB, Switzer was offered the job before Holtz and politely said No, twice.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Torqued pork

Quote from: moses_007 on February 02, 2014, 09:34:14 pm
I don't think Pete Carroll was ever considered for the job by either Broyles or Long.  Self may have been considered, but Broyles passed on him.
Broyles wanted Self. John White wanted Heath for political reasons.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Westcoasthog on February 03, 2014, 12:00:12 am

Yes he did. Perhaps at the time you would have done the same thing. Foresight is never 20/20. Hindsight is always 20/20.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Westcoasthog on February 03, 2014, 12:00:12 am

Yes he did. Perhaps at the time you would have done the same thing. Foresight is never 20/20. Hindsight is always 20/20.

hoglady

Quote from: moses_007 on February 03, 2014, 06:06:15 am
Sure he remembers.  Did you forget he brought his USC team to Fayetteville and beat us soundly in the opening game of the 2006 season?

Who could forget that beatdown.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

thirrdegreetusker

Fact:  Pete Carroll has told close friends and r.............

JFB did not hire HDN; a committee did. JFB wanted Tuberville.....

Johnson was in the NFL (or retired from) when we hired HDN.

"Has told close friends and relatives" ......that passes for "fact"?

thirrdegreetusker

Recent story suggests that he loved Fayetteville, and it was his first experience in the "big time".

superior_wang

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on February 02, 2014, 09:02:49 pm

i think Pete is the only one to drop 120+ points on the hogs in two games . I could be wrong.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on February 03, 2014, 11:17:46 am
Recent story suggests that he loved Fayetteville, and it was his first experience in the "big time".

Wasn't Pete the Head Coach of the Patriots when HDN was hired? He wasn't leaving that job to come to Fayetteville.

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on February 03, 2014, 11:17:46 am
Cool Story, Not...

:-\ :-\

SouthSide Johnny

Broadway wasn't the the only fur draped at the Super Bowl

[attachment deleted by admin]

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: SSJ on February 03, 2014, 07:10:23 am
Born in El Dorado raised in Dallas and graduated from SMU

He was one of the first inductees into the Union County Sports Hall of Fame. 
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

bigbadhog

Quote from: ReddieHawg on February 02, 2014, 11:53:31 pm

That not how I remember it when Hatfield was hired.  Proven clearly wrong with the thumping JJ put in KH in LR in 1987.  It didn't take long to know for sure it was a mistake.  I still remember my dad telling me that JJ wanted the job so bad that he cried when he was passed over for Hatfield.  It makes me very sad to think what we could have done under JJ...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: bigbadhog on February 03, 2014, 05:31:53 pm
That not how I remember it when Hatfield was hired.  Proven clearly wrong with the thumping JJ put in KH in LR in 1987.  It didn't take long to know for sure it was a mistake.  I still remember my dad telling me that JJ wanted the job so bad that he cried when he was passed over for Hatfield.  It makes me very sad to think what we could have done under JJ...

In 1982, Hatfield was coming off a 8-5 season with a All-American/Hall of Fame Bowl win. In 1983, Hatfield's Air Force team went 10-2, beat Ole Miss in the Independence Bowl, and he was National Coach of the Year.

In 1982, Johnson's OSU Cowboys went 4-5-2. In 1983, Okie St. went 8-4, 3-4 in the Big 8, and beat Baylor in the Bluebonnet Bowl.

If you think JJ would have gotten those South Florida kids to come to Fayetteville, you are sorely mistaken.

So....who would you hire?

TDHawgs

Let's not forget Paul "Bear" Bryant, he wanted to coach at Arkansas, but never got the chance either.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: TDHawgs on February 03, 2014, 08:36:46 pm
Let's not forget Paul "Bear" Bryant, he wanted to coach at Arkansas, but never got the chance either.

No doubt. The message boards were in "meltdown mode" back in the 1950's over this. ;)

1highhog

You need to get your facts straight.  Broyles passed on JJ and hired Hatfield, not Houston Nutt, Broyles wanted Tuberville, but the group made up of former and current players and JW all wanted Nutt. 

1highhog

He may have only been here one year, but he still remembers our fight song word for word.  Does anyone remember what player he quizzed when interviewing him as NFL Coaches do when bringing in players they might be interested in?   Should be and easy guess.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: 1highhog on February 03, 2014, 08:52:43 pm
He may have only been here one year, but he still remembers our fight song word for word.  Does anyone remember what player he quizzed when interviewing him as NFL Coaches do when bringing in players they might be interested in?   Should be and easy guess.

I know the words to the Texas fight song and I've never lived in Texas.
What player he quizzed when interviewing him?....huh?

1highhog

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 03, 2014, 08:56:46 pm

Ryan Mallett.  Mallett said that in and interview that Carroll still remembered the words to our fight song, and he was nervous but he said he did remember them.

1highhog

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 03, 2014, 08:56:46 pm

By the way, there's no Doctor I know of that can rid you of that cursed song in your head, shouldn't be there in the first place.  You must have a secret yearning to be a steer.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: 1highhog on February 03, 2014, 11:53:41 pm
By the way, there's no Doctor I know of that can rid you of that cursed song in your head, shouldn't be there in the first place.  You must have a secret yearning to be a steer.

When I get a song stuck in my head I start singing 99 Bottles of Beer every time it rears its ugly head.  Usually takes care of it after 3 or 4 times.