Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hawg Basketball (6-2) Arkansas vs. (4-0) Missouri State PREDICTIONS

Started by hogfan13, December 09, 2005, 10:13:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan13

GrizzledHogFan

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Razorback88

I saw Mizzou St. play at ASU a few weeks ago.  They looked VERY bad in the first half and VERY good in the second.  They're capable of beating us, no doubt. But I'll say:

Hogs 73
MSU 59

hogattack21

Mizzou state is good, however, i think heath will have them ready.

Hogs-76

Mizzou State-59
It may be wrong, but it sure feels right.

jeffshogs

Get your bird dog butt up and down the court!

3kgthog

This team has no fire, no guy that you truly want taking the last shot, and they can't rebound or shoot FTs.  Couple that with the fact that we will look like crap due to the finals break and you get a big fat L. 

Mizzou Jr. 75
Hogs       72

South_Ark_Pig

If they take them lightly like they did texass state we wil lose,but we wont take em lightly but it will be close.

Ark--91

Mo-state---84

chiefsfan

Mizzou State 84
Hogs 79

Ive seen this Mizzou State team play...They are pretty darn good.   Shoot lights out from the field
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

MoSt

Hello :)  i have seen all 5 Mo St games (5-0) 6-0 after tommorow. and they are better the Mizzou. the team you beat by 3,

#'s

93ppg-2nd in country
only team in country shooting over 50(51%) from 3pt
FG over 53%

9 players deep-  30min Ahearn plays most(NCAA all time FT%leader) 20.6ppg, shooting 50+ 3pt

MoSt 87- Ark 83

chiefsfan

Quote from: MoSt on December 10, 2005, 12:34:43 am
Hello :)  i have seen all 5 Mo St games (5-0) 6-0 after tommorow. and they are better the Mizzou. the team you beat by 3,

#'s

93ppg-2nd in country
only team in country shooting over 50(51%) from 3pt
FG over 53%

9 players deep-  30min Ahearn plays most(NCAA all time FT%leader) 20.6ppg, shooting 50+ 3pt

MoSt 87- Ark 83

Please lets not compare opponents here.  First of all you havent played mizzou, so there is no way to prove you beat them by 10.

If arkansas plays like they are capable of, then we should win by at least 10.   I picked Mizzou State to win out of respect for what I saw in the second half of the ASU game...  That and the egg I saw us lay against Texas State
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

MoSt

We are a 2nd have team, score around 50pts on avg.  just run run and run in 2nd. with 9 deep- all could start. and our overball best player has not played a game this year. knee inj, might redshirt.

chiefsfan

Quote from: MoSt on December 10, 2005, 12:41:06 am
We are a 2nd have team, score around 50pts on avg. just run run and run in 2nd. with 9 deep- all could start. and our overball best player has not played a game this year. knee inj, might redshirt.

on a good day we have 9 players that can play will.   We are a good defenseve team for the first 25 seconds of the shot clock however, and we run alot better then teams think we do, because it takes the pressure off our poorous outside shooting.    If Mizzou State can learn ball control, then yall are in good shape...but I dont know if you can outrun us.  it is possible, but no gurantees.

astarXzone

We have some talent but stan like houston will never have them ready.  He has no clue and no fire in him.  They claimed he was assistant at MIch St. to Izzo but he had several assistants.  Stan was the water boy while the real assistants helped Izzo win a National title.  Apparentley they had stan on staff because of his recruiting, not his coaching and he has proved that.  He''s landed some good talent but so far brewer is the only one with the wil to win

chiefsfan

Quote from: astarXzone on December 10, 2005, 12:51:51 am
We have some talent but stan like houston will never have them ready. He has no clue and no fire in him. They claimed he was assistant at MIch St. to Izzo but he had several assistants. Stan was the water boy while the real assistants helped Izzo win a National title. Apparentley they had stan on staff because of his recruiting, not his coaching and he has proved that. He''s landed some good talent but so far brewer is the only one with the wil to win

Dude you are the most negative person Ive ever seen.   You were probably one of the people singing Heath's praises when he started. 

BTW next year will be his first year where every player on the team will have been recruited by him.  And he was Not the ND Water Boy by any means, and you know you dont have any proof behind your point....Nutt is staying, now get over it and quit taking it out on someone that doesnt deserve it...

Bomis Hawg

Arkansas 74; Missouri State 69.

Arkansas gets the sweep over the Bears.

rococco

Hogville is watching...

UnionChristian#3

"It's not who I am on the inside, but it's what I do, that defines who I am."

MammothPig

I will predict that Arkansas will suffer an embarrassing loss against the Missouri St. Bears.  Arkansas couldn't put away Mizzou and the Bears are double figures better than Mizzou.  MSU beat Texas A$M CC by like 35 points and Missouri beat them by 1 point and they had to pull it out of their butt to do that.  I think that the Hogs will take them lightly just because they are Missouri "State" and I think it will cost them in the end.  I hope that I am wrong but I have been watching MSU and they are good.  Best of Luck to the Hogs next week...
my pick  MSU 87 Hogs 79 ???

MammothPig

That "Who" part of your message is exactly why I think they will be upset.

MammothPig

astarXzone

corndo

sg56

I think you guys are forgetting that Texas St hit 12 3 pointers while we couldn't throw it in the ocean. I look for a much better effort from the Hogs after some intense practices. If you are playing an 0-5 team or a 5-0 team which team are you going to show up against?
Hogs 82
Mo St 70

:razorback:

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Lanny

Quote from: HoginMemphis on December 11, 2005, 07:54:13 am
Here is my prediction: A boring game that means nothing.

ha, I don't know which is more exciting  (1) watching a Stan Heath basketball team or (2) watching paint dry.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Lanny

Quote from: ImHogginIt on December 11, 2005, 08:14:00 am
When the Hell do we even play again ? I gotten to where I don't keep up with second rate teams

We have the schedules on the home page here
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

jkcrunch

Some the haters can be really annoying.   Stan is not the greatest coach, yet.   He is definetly learning his craft but he has also shown that he willing to take direction and improve his team.  When he came here he did not have one Div1 on his team,  Today we have at least two potential NBA players and at least two all conference players.  Nolan was a great coach but his players tended to leave as good as they came in.   Look at Charles Thomas and Steven Hill both are showing great improvements game by game.   Can Stan get better, I think so.   The glass can be half full sometimes. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hSv on December 11, 2005, 08:10:19 am
Quote from: HoginMemphis on December 11, 2005, 07:54:13 am
Here is my prediction: A boring game that means nothing.

ha, I don't know which is more exciting  (1) watching a Stan Heath basketball team or (2) watching paint dry.

I am going to have to go with your 2nd option.  The Memphis Tigers on the other hand, are playing great basketball and will be ranked in the top 5 come tomorrow morning.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Queen Hog

Hogs will win a very exciting game.  I love HOGS basketball.  :razorback:
I lub me some HOGS!!!

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
Helen Keller

proffitthog

Piggies 75

Mo stizate 67
Prediction: get out to 8-10 pt. lead blow it, then hang on in the end, by hitting some free throws.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogfan13 on December 11, 2005, 11:07:47 am
For those people who think were gonna lose look whothey have played

http://www.missouristatebears.com/webapps/schedules?team=30&season=2005-06

Sagarin rates their schedule so far 132nd.  Ours is 240th.  Sagarin rates Texas State the No.326 team in Division I.  I bet you didn't know there were 326 teams to rate (actually 334).  Southern Miss is 319th.  Radford is 220th.  Portland State is 153rd.  Missouri is 101st.  Kansas is 93rd.  Maryland is 38th.  UConn is 5th.  Missouri State is 6th.

It's early for these formulaic rating systems, but the proportions are correct.

Rest of our schedule according to Sagarin:

8. Florida
42. Vanderbilt
55. Tennessee
65. LSU
75. Georgia
77. Alabama
81. South Carolina
88. Auburn
96. Kentucky
106. Mississippi State
143. Texas Tech
202. Ole Miss
210. Rice
277. Western Illinois
301. Texas-Pan American

We could end up with nine games against teams rated below 150th, similar to last year, with fewer top 50 teams on the schedule compared with last season.  The Missouri State game is extremely important.  It is our last chance to get what RPI would view as a quality win in nonconference play (unless Kansas's rating rises dramatically).  Given that the schedule turned out to be extremely weak again, the importance of each tough game is magnified.
[CENSORED]!

Illinihog

Some of you guys are pretty dumb when it comes to sports.  Mizzou St. is good.  They can flat out ball.  You know what else they will do, they will get in your grill on defense and they will also run their offense to perfection.  They've been doing it for years.  They are the best team in the State of MO.  We have trouble with teams that are disciplined, the hogs won't win this one in a shootout.  65-60 or something in that nature.  I'd almost bet against the hogs in this situation.  The athletism of the Hogs won't get them by on this one. 

Squealers

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 11, 2005, 07:51:05 pm

Sagarin rates their schedule so far 132nd. Ours is 240th. Sagarin rates Texas State the No.326 team in Division I. I bet you didn't know there were 326 teams to rate (actually 334). Southern Miss is 319th. Radford is 220th. Portland State is 153rd. Missouri is 101st. Kansas is 93rd. Maryland is 38th. UConn is 5th. Missouri State is 6th.

8. Florida
42. Vanderbilt
55. Tennessee
65. LSU
75. Georgia
77. Alabama
81. South Carolina
88. Auburn
96. Kentucky
106. Mississippi State
143. Texas Tech
202. Ole Miss
210. Rice
277. Western Illinois
301. Texas-Pan American

We could end up with nine games against teams rated below 150th, similar to last year, with fewer top 50 teams on the schedule compared with last season. The Missouri State game is extremely important. It is our last chance to get what RPI would view as a quality win in nonconference play (unless Kansas's rating rises dramatically). Given that the schedule turned out to be extremely weak again, the importance of each tough game is magnified.

Now thats research.

I love the hogs, go to a lot of games, but this game makes me nervous.  The Bears have a long history of strong teams that harbor a tenacious attitude.  Hopefully, Stan is preparing the team to the following for a victory:

1. Defend the perimeter for 3's
2. Penetrate a zone defense
3. Utilize our height advantage
4. Hit FREE throws
5. Keep Fergurson's head in the game
6. Get a lead and KEEP IT

If he can accomplish these things, we will have a chance.
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

flash23

Quote from: MammothPig on December 11, 2005, 02:44:49 am
I will predict that Arkansas will suffer an embarrassing loss against the Missouri St. Bears.  Arkansas couldn't put away Mizzou and the Bears are double figures better than Mizzou.  MSU beat Texas A$M CC by like 35 points and Missouri beat them by 1 point and they had to pull it out of their butt to do that.  I think that the Hogs will take them lightly just because they are Missouri "State" and I think it will cost them in the end.  I hope that I am wrong but I have been watching MSU and they are good.  Best of Luck to the Hogs next week...
my pick  MSU 87 Hogs 79 ???
So, your logic is because we only beat Mizzou by three, a team who only beat Texas A&M CC by 1, and Texas A&M CC lost to MSU by 35 points, we're going to lose?

That's retarded.

Hogs will win.
With Tired Eyes, Tired Minds, Tired Souls, We Slept.

hogattack21

Mizzou state is good, probably the 4th best team we are going to play so far this year, however, I am sure Heath knows how dangerous they are and will have the guys ready.

Hogs-76
Mizzou state-59
It may be wrong, but it sure feels right.

HairyHog

The Hogs have to  guard against those 3 pointers bettre than against Texas State.

Stop the 3 pointers... win the game... Get some fire in the belly.

Too close for comfort.
Ark 68
MSU 62

chiefsfan

This will be one game for sure that I will not be expecting to win by a blow out.    Those who are picking us by 15-20 points may be off their rockers just a bit.   If it gets to 15-20 points, it would only be because one team didnt show up.  If anyone loses by 15-20 it may be us

This is the best team we will play this year untill probably Bama...  They may be better then the Kansas team we beat in Maui.  Although Im not saying that for sure just yet.

hawkeyefan17

I think people are underestimating this Bears team.

Missouri State 77
Arkansas        75

Razorback88

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 11, 2005, 07:51:05 pm

Sagarin rates their schedule so far 132nd. Ours is 240th. Sagarin rates Texas State the No.326 team in Division I. I bet you didn't know there were 326 teams to rate (actually 334). Southern Miss is 319th. Radford is 220th. Portland State is 153rd. Missouri is 101st. Kansas is 93rd. Maryland is 38th. UConn is 5th. Missouri State is 6th.

8. Florida
42. Vanderbilt
55. Tennessee
65. LSU
75. Georgia
77. Alabama
81. South Carolina
88. Auburn
96. Kentucky
106. Mississippi State
143. Texas Tech
202. Ole Miss
210. Rice
277. Western Illinois
301. Texas-Pan American

We could end up with nine games against teams rated below 150th, similar to last year, with fewer top 50 teams on the schedule compared with last season. The Missouri State game is extremely important. It is our last chance to get what RPI would view as a quality win in nonconference play (unless Kansas's rating rises dramatically). Given that the schedule turned out to be extremely weak again, the importance of each tough game is magnified.
I wouldn't put much stock in any ratings saying Missouri St. is #6 in the country.

someBear

First off, I'm a Bear fan.  I hope I can clear up a few misconceptions about the Mo St. team for some of you hog fans.

Ok, some of you seem to think that Mo St. will be a Princton type team that will try to slow the tempo.  This will probably not happen.  They will run. 

In fact, I believe that if the pace of the game slows down, it will be to the Razorbacks' advantage.  Your size can actually make a difference if you can bang it under in a half-court game.  MSU will try to take your legs away from you in the first half and then burn you in the second half when they actually speed things up a little more.  If your are as athletic as you think you are, this will not be a problem.  However, if the Bears succeed, they will be schooling you on how to play your own style.  I haven't seen the hogs play this year, but with a 7 footer and 2 at 6-10, I really wouldn't be suprised if at least a couple of your players ran out of gas.  Remember, there's a reason why MSU is averaging over 90 pts a game.

Most of the game, they will have 5 good shooters on the floor and at least 4 guys that could run point.  Otherwise, Drew Richards is in the game, and he is the only one you don't have to worry about seeing 3's from.  Zone defense won't work against them (well, maybe Syracuse would).

Personally, I don't think you have to worry too much about MSU's shooting percentage (~50%).  That will probably average out to around 40-45% as the season continues.  50% from 3 is just insane.   :o  You just need to hope that they don't show up with a hot hand.  They don't need much space, and have enough shooters to move the ball around and create it.  Going against a taller opponent should drop those percentages down a bit.  You can lock down Chaney and Ahearn, but the other players are capable of filling the void. 

The Bears rarely employ zone defense either.  They just throw it in to disrupt the other team's offense from time to time.  Preparing the Hogs for zone defenses may help in the future, but it will be negligable this game.  It will be almost entirely man-to-man.  Even though they score so much, Coach Hinson makes sure that the main focus is defense.  He comes from the defensive school of thought and takes pride in holding opponents under 40% shooting. 

What's unique about this team, is that size wise and shooting wise, it seems to be a made-to-order half-court team.  However, they aren't.  They're a run and gun team.  If there's a man planted for a 3 on a fast break, he gets the ball passed to him and shoots it.  Isn't that a novel idea?   :-\  MSU isn't the quickest, most talanted, most athletic team out there.  They just have an intresting scheme that has been working very well so far.  They are diciplined (which I hear the hogs are a little weak on this season) and play extremely unselfish team ball (averaging 19.33 assists a game). 

Now that I've gushed as much as I can put up with, :puke:  Other than moving to a half-court offense, I won't say how else to beat MSU.  Given the right matchups, the Bears can definatly lose.  But this is the best team southwest Missouri has had in quite a long time.

It is true that MSU hasn't played anyone of notable reputation yet.  Arkansas hasn't lost to anyone outside of the top 20 and has beaten a couple teams that do carry some wieght in their names.  The Razorbacks' schedule has been much stronger.  But until they play head-to-head, no real comparison can be drawn.  Don't give me crap about not being able to play in the SEC.  Take a look at the MVC's record against the power conferences this year.  It isn't just a flash in the pan, the MVC has been improving relative to the other conferences for some time now, and are finally showing signs of catching up.

My predictions? 

If MSU is able to control things, MSU 95   AU 75
If AU runs with MSU and have more endurance, AU 99   MSU 90
If AU slows it down, AU 60   MSU 58  (i really think it's a coin flip)

I hope this has shed some light for some of you.  If there are any other Bear fans around, feel free to offer your critiques.

Kilgor

That is an awesome summary.  Much appreciated!   ;D

I would only change one thing, in that we are U of A (AU is Auburn University).
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

USCNOKLAHOMA

Dang what has it come to when Arkansas fans are worried about Mizzou St. and Gamecock fans are worried about Winthrop?? Both games will be toss ups.

someBear

someBear

Quote from: USCNOKLAHOMA on December 12, 2005, 12:14:57 am
Dang what has it come to when Arkansas fans are worried about Mizzou St. and Gamecock fans are worried about Winthrop?? Both games will be toss ups.

What we are seeing is the upper tier conferences and programs being cut at the knees by the NBA draft.  It's narrowing the margin where talent doesn't get the experience to really become dominate and the less talented 4 year players of the mid-majors can show the difference that chemistry and team play can make.

akp4105

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 10, 2005, 12:23:51 am
This team has no fire, no guy that you truly want taking the last shot, and they can't rebound or shoot FTs. Couple that with the fact that we will look like crap due to the finals break and you get a big fat L.

Mizzou Jr. 75
Hogs 72

no guy that we want takin the last shot..how bout one of the best players in the country ronnie brewer...

arkansas by 8...

arkansas 78
sms 70

astarXzone