Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MERGED: 2009 UT-UA at RRS postponed?

Started by Pa-Paw, February 24, 2008, 11:36:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SquidBilly

Why did this thread end up in the trash can?  :(

Grunt

The game is scheduled, keep it that way! Anyway, I'd rather be known as the "bring'em on team." It would be quite a distinction to be known as "the team with the toughest schedule." Do you realize how often we'd be mentioned on the air? And look at the money (e.g., A&M in Arlington)! And TV appearances... Think big guys! And don't think we can't stop this change. We've already proven we can and will be heard so let's stop this change nonsense.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

txkrazorback

ha! A thread that was trashed but came back!
8)
The weakest thread post I know of in the history of Hogville: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=207820.msg3219371#msg3219371

BTW: If you need to remember the rules...http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?action=rules

SquidBilly

It would also be quite a distinction to be known as the team with the worst record and the most injuries.  An 2-10 season will really help recruiting and national coverage.  I can hear it now all of the stories that bash us for hiring Petrino and firing the MOTHO.  Don't think that two years later most of the national media will have forgotten the events of this offseason.  I'd love for us to play Texas and beat them but we are in the SEC so betaing Texas will do nothing to help us get to Atlanta.  Playing OOC games that beat you up before you into one of your toughest ever conference schedule is not a wise idea.  If we beat Texas but then lose the SEC west are we any better off.  I can assure you that if we don't win an SEC championship then a NC is out of the question. 

SquidBilly

It would also be quite a distinction to be known as the team with the worst record and the most injuries.  An 2-10 season will really help recruiting and national coverage.  I can hear it now all of the stories that bash us for hiring Petrino and firing the MOTHO.  Don't think that two years later most of the national media will have forgotten the events of this offseason.  I'd love for us to play Texas and beat them but we are in the SEC so betaing Texas will do nothing to help us get to Atlanta.  Playing OOC games that beat you up before you into one of your toughest ever conference schedule is not a wise idea.  If we beat Texas but then lose the SEC west are we any better off.  I can assure you that if we don't win an SEC championship then a NC is out of the question. 

txkrazorback

What I "hear" is a lot of y'all are afraid to play the 09 schedule and texas but don't admit it.
The weakest thread post I know of in the history of Hogville: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=207820.msg3219371#msg3219371

BTW: If you need to remember the rules...http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?action=rules

Grunt

Quote from: ATLpiggie on February 25, 2008, 10:10:45 am
It's the reasonable thing to do.  Everybody put aside your hate for Texas (by the way I hate them too) and look at this logically.  Texas is a fun game for sure but isn't worth playing if it could mean that it will lessen our chances to make it to the NC game.  If we run the table on the 09 schedule even without Texas it will be quite an accomplishment.  The physical pounding our guys will be taking that season will be intense and we will be lucky to get through that season with enough good healthy players to compete if we do make it to the big game.  Drop Texas from the schedule and then if things play out well for both teams we can kick their butts in the NC game.  WPS!!!! 

your competetive spirit gives me chill bumps

regi

No team would want to play Tex, A&M, Bama, AU, LSU, Florida, Goergia and Steve Spurrier in the same season. Call it what you want, but your job will not be on the line. Besides, this has JJ written all over it. He worked this whole A&M deal.

txkrazorback

Quote from: regi on February 25, 2008, 05:11:02 pm
No team would want to play Tex, A&M, Bama, AU, LSU, Florida, Goergia and Steve Spurrier in the same season.
If I were playing Top College ball, I would.

chiefsfan

Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

regi

Quote from: txkrazorback on February 25, 2008, 05:23:10 pm
If I were playing Top College ball, I would.

If, ifs and buts were cans of nuts, oh what a x-mas it would be. No coach or AD in year 2 of their program would want that schedule. Todays players could care less how much we hate and want to beat Texas. They want to beat Bama, AU, LSU, Florida and UGA more.

El Puerco

Quote from: regi on February 25, 2008, 05:11:02 pm
No team would want to play Tex, A&M, Bama, AU, LSU, Florida, Goergia and Steve Spurrier in the same season. Call it what you want, but your job will not be on the line. Besides, this has JJ written all over it. He worked this whole A&M deal.

That is a daunting schedule. It's good that toughness of schedule is now taken into account...but if you drop 3 games, even against top 15 teams, you can likely kiss any thoughts of a national championship goodbye.
I don't know that people are necessarily "afraid" of Texas but, even good teams lose a few games (look at LSU this  year).  Like I said, you load the schedule with ringers and drop 3-4 games and forget it.
I would like to find a happy medium for the majority of our non-conference games...somewhere between Texas and and Tennessee-Chatanooga.

Since 1894

The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

tolerati

Good Idea...Arkansas needs to develop other rivalries anyway...
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

arkrzrbacks

Man some of you people seem like you would rather have South Central Technical College scheduled.

txkrazorback

Quote from: tolerati on February 25, 2008, 05:47:21 pm
Good Idea...Arkansas needs to develop other rivalries anyway...
I can see it now:
the rivalry of the century:
Arkansas Razorbacks v aTm-Commerce Lions

reddogjcss

Man; I understand the thinking but I was looking forward to kicking Longhorn BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!

Tusks

I have mixed feelings....I totally understand the reasoning behind it....and remember after auburn canned buster brown they backed out of a football game with FSU and no one remembers that.

The fact that the game is being moved is different than asking out of a game all together like the Hogs did with Miami.

I sure wanted to see Mallett get to play the horns.....so again mixed.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

PorkSoda

We need a petition to stop this!  This is a big time rivalry, and to those who say it isn't can kiss my white Azz.  Texas is okay with it because they know we will whoop dat azz.  I can't believe they would even think of backing out of this game.  especially since we are already playing them AT Texas next year.  For all the good PR moves the new regime has made, this is certainly the worst.  We play in the SEC.  THere is no reason we can't hang with Texas.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

kimjongsqUeAl

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

prairiehogcompanion

prairiehogcompanion

Yes, [CENSORED], there is wuss in the athletics department.

EMBARRASSING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COCHISE

Was this request made before Mallett transferred to Arkansas by any chance?  If not it's a dumb move, you absolutely play Texas with Mallett back playing after sitting the '08 season and this years WR recruits with a year under their belts. 

txkrazorback

Quote from: Hawianiceman on February 25, 2008, 06:52:29 pm
Wait I was all for this but now re-read everything and this freaking sucks. So WE WILL play them at their place but not in Fayetteville in 09, that's bullshat. WHY? Colt will be a senior in 08 and its almost a guranteed loss.

If BP is so worried about having a hard time putting in a system, than he should have taken off the Texas game in 08 and 09 all together. No Texas no 2 losses.
I was worried about you for a minute. I thought you had gone soft man...

prairiehogcompanion

Well, thank to this preposterous scheduling retreat, I think it's fair to say that Arkansas is indeed Nuttless at last.

Only not in the way one would assume.

And they want $45 to force feed us Weenie Tech?

Jeff Long, grow a pair!

txkrazorback

Quote from: Hawianiceman on February 25, 2008, 06:56:35 pm
Why not take out Texas all together and replace Texas 08 and 09 with TCU. It would be a good OOC game and we still would get our exposure in Texas.
WHY?
WHY?
WHY?
Why not Play OU???

txkrazorback

Quote from: Hawianiceman on February 25, 2008, 06:58:35 pm
Tx you seem to supporting your arguments with valor and strength and I support that, but tell me for real. If we do indeed take Texas off in 09, why not take them off in 08 as well. Its not too hard to do that.
And replace them with what? JUCO games? I'm in dismay right now...

COCHISE

txkrazorback- I'm trying to send you a PM but it won't let me put your name in the box, please contact me by PM.

reddogjcss

The new guys just don't understand what it means to the Razorback nation; but I think they are tring to insure bowl games every year. But we can take TEAXAS; Mallet will have a field day!!!!!!!!!

slowride

Quote from: txkrazorback on February 25, 2008, 06:58:20 pm
Why not Play OU???

We don't need to be playing teams like OU, Texas, and USC.  They are out of our league.  I'm ok with playing A&M.  They're about even with us.  But, we don't need to be playing teams that are national title contenders. 

txkrazorback

Quote from: slowride on February 25, 2008, 07:12:59 pm
We don't need to be playing teams like OU, Texas, and USC.  They are out of our league.  I'm ok with playing A&M.  They're about even with us.  But, we don't need to be playing teams that are national title contenders. 
so I guess we shouldn't have played and beat lswho? Let's go join conf usa: or are they too tough? I don't believe what I am reading. At least texas has cajones. I'm in total shock right now

reddogjcss

Slowride; we want to be national contenders!!!!! You have to play & win against the best to be the best. This will bring our credibility up & if we lose show us what we need to do to be national contenders. Your right A&M is probably even with us but the Razorback nation wants more. We will not settel for the middel road. But as you are pointing out it could bite us in the butttttt to play the; but playing them is the only way to find out. I'm still a little embaressed about the last USC game but when I was a kid I remember wooping ther buttttts when they where ranked number one; it is a game I will never forget!!!!!! Respect your post but we want more.

slowride

Quote from: txkrazorback on February 25, 2008, 07:26:13 pm
so I guess we shouldn't have played and beat lswho? Let's go join conf usa: or are they too tough? I don't believe what I am reading. At least texas has cajones. I'm in total shock right now

We probably should schedule one good non-conference game every year which is more than some of our conference brethren do.  But, one good game against a well-matched foe is enough.  I don't see any sense in trying to schedule top 5 teams until we at least get close to that level.  Otherwise, we might get exposed and miss out on a decent bowl bid. 

Grunt

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 25, 2008, 01:50:18 pm
that's true. Of course, in their SWC rivalry days that lasted around 70 years through '91, the Hogs beat the Horns only 15 times (I think I'm correct on that...if not, it was give or take only 1 or 2 games). So, 3 wins in Fayetteville over Texas sounds about right. My sophomore year at U of A was one of them...1981. Hogs probably beat Texas 5 or 6 times in LR and 5 or 6 times in Austin for total of around 15 wins in about 70 years of playing them when in the SWC.

Wanna get current? We're not talking Davy Crockett here. From 1980 to now we have split with them 6 & 6. There could be no better rivalry. Scoping 70 years is less than brilliant. No offense.

reddogjcss

Pa-Paw

Quote from: prairiehogcompanion on February 25, 2008, 06:53:08 pm
Actually, its ******.

Quote from: Hawianiceman on February 25, 2008, 06:52:29 pm
Wait I was all for this but now re-read everything and this freaking sucks. So WE WILL play them at their place but not in Fayetteville in 09, that's bullshat. WHY? Colt will be a senior in 08 and its almost a guranteed loss.

If BP is so worried about having a hard time putting in a system, than he should have taken off the Texas game in 08 and 09 all together. No Texas no 2 losses.

McCoy is a junior in 08. The Fayetteville game would have been his senior year. You would have been able to see Mallet and McCoy on the same field with national honors at stake. It most likely would have been a top nationally televised game. That what was lost.

COCHISE

txkrazorback-  My PM is still not working, please check my thread in the TICKETS forum.

jeramyaupton

Imagine if we played all the games and won. What then? The scheduling would be genius. We have the potential to play up to 6 top 25 teams (including TX and assuming SC pulls it together). That is a national champion caliber schedule. SEC bias aside, i think its important to play ranked opponents outside your conference to be considered a "national champion" rather than a conference champion.

Grunt

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 25, 2008, 01:57:42 pm
You might want to go back and look at what happened the last three times we played one of those "weak" Big 10 teams in a bowl game.

There is nothing like spending $500-600 on a weekend to drive up and watch the Hogs play Western Illinois or Southeast Missouri.  Getting to see walk ons play half a game after the score reaches 49-3, the half empty stadium, the excitement level and crowd noise rivaling a chess match...

Ah, the anticipation!

I wonder if Slippery Rock is available in 2009.

Just play the damn game.  It's already scheduled, so just suck it up and play it.

LOL!!!!! good post. We could probably get a match with Hacket or Waldron, Boonville or Hartford.

Marshfieldhog

This is stupid....play the game, good grief it's a HOME GAME.

txkrazorback

Quote from: Grunt on February 25, 2008, 08:46:18 pm
LOL!!!!! good post. We could probably get a match with Hacket or Waldron, Boonville or Hartford.
No. According to a lot of people here, those teams would be too hard. We're probably not in their league. Think lower.

SquidBilly

Quote from: jeramyaupton on February 25, 2008, 08:33:01 pm
Imagine if we played all the games and won. What then? The scheduling would be genius. We have the potential to play up to 6 top 25 teams (including TX and assuming SC pulls it together). That is a national champion caliber schedule. SEC bias aside, i think its important to play ranked opponents outside your conference to be considered a "national champion" rather than a conference champion.

If we made it through the 09 schedule, Texas included, undefeated we shouldn't even have to play a NC game in order to be crowned national champs.  I just had a thought about this, maybe just maybe all of the facts were not presented in the Texas article.  If I remember correctly one of the snags of scheduling the A&M series was getting the SEC to move some of our conference games around.  I wonder if the SEC balked at that so we had to push the Texas game in 09 back to 2014 to use that date for the A&M series.  Obviously the Texas guys want it to look like we are backing out but it could just be a scheduling issue, not a fear by the administration and coaches to play Texas in 09.  Think about the revenue that game in Fayetteville in 09 would bring in so do you really think they'd push it back just to weaken our strength of schedule?

jkstock04

This is stupid!!!  I hate this.  I mean, I see the logic in it...but as a fan it absolutley sucks.  Why schedule them if you don't wanna play them?  This makes us look like scared little puppies...what a bunch of BS!!!!
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Grunt

"We don't need to be playing teams like OU, Texas, and USC.  They are out of our league.  I'm ok with playing A&M.  They're about even with us.  But, we don't need to be playing teams that are national title contenders." 

Have we donated our balls to science?

txkrazorback

Quote from: Grunt on February 25, 2008, 09:01:31 pm
"We don't need to be playing teams like OU, Texas, and USC.  They are out of our league.  I'm ok with playing A&M.  They're about even with us.  But, we don't need to be playing teams that are national title contenders." 

Have we donated our balls to science?
apparently some never had any to begin with...
oh: IMO

Scaife

-1!!! WTH are we playing for, then? Just to beat up FIU and SMSU every year and make it to the Toilet Bowl? Dang it man, sack up!

Grunt

Quote from: txkrazorback on February 25, 2008, 02:23:08 pm
Here's a Picture of you girls who don't want to play a good tough schedule...

LOL! "eek! eeek! it's the things from Austin!"

leftymgp

This news really disappoints me.  Last year's non-conference schedule was quite frankly embarrassing.  I was really looking forward to taking on both A&M and Texas in the same season.  Is that more than we can chew with our SEC schedule, perhaps.  I guess we have to stick to bite sized Sun Belt opponents.

Now I'm going to have to put up with all the texas fans asking, "so uh, I heard you guys didn't want to play us next year too" with a smug look on their face.

SquidBilly

Why don't you take a slowride out of Arkansas and don't come back.  Your out of your league here on Hogville but for some reason you hang around.

txkrazorback

Quote from: leftymgp on February 25, 2008, 09:17:48 pm
This news really disappoints me.  Last year's non-conference schedule was quite frankly embarrassing.  I was really looking forward to taking on both A&M and Texas in the same season.  Is that more than we can chew with our SEC schedule, perhaps.  I guess we have to stick to bite sized Sun Belt opponents.

Now I'm going to have to put up with all the texas fans asking, "so uh, I heard you guys didn't want to play us next year too" with a smug look on their face.
It will be non-stop. Just imagine going into Austin in September. It'll be a hoot! But I'm going anyway.