Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why Lane Kiffin?

Started by HogFansReunited, November 27, 2007, 11:32:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogFansReunited

Why is it that everyone is jumping on this guys bandwagon?  This is what pisses me off.  We need a big name coach to come in and get the program going back in the right direction.  We need someone that can recruit in the SEC.  All of a sudden it looks like BD and TT are out of the equation so everyone decides they would be happy with people like Lane Kiffin.  This guy has never been a college head coach.  He has never recruited in the SEC.  He worked under Pete Carroll at USC and anyone could recruit to USC.  He has not proven anything so why is it that everyone keeps saying they would be happy with him.  I don't want to settle for second best again.  The University of Arkansas has to step up and hire a big name coach that has proven them self.

As I have promised before I will back any coach the U of A hires for 4 years.  If we hire Kiffin or someone else like him we will have to support the coach.  I will still be mad at the U of A for not doing their job and getting an experienced coach though.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

HogFansReunited

Anyone?  Please, this would be a horrible move.  I would take Nutt back before I would want to hire this guy who has 0 college coaching experience.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Member #3568

HogFansReunited

Come on I know someone wants a good argument.

Member #3568

The_Hill

So if none of those are valuable qualities for you what are the negatives? Why not give him the chance to prove himself as a head coach in college? Who are the better options in your mind? He was the O.C. both years we played USC, and is one of the youngest coaches ever in the NFL obviously the man has shown something to someone...
John, I was first team All-State. I can put the ball anywhere I want to. I'll make it rain out here.

Mrsherm

read my post from 8:30pm tonight.....WHY KIFFIN MAKES THE MOST SENSE

Mrsherm

Just for Argument's sake....since BD and TT are out...and obviously JJ was a pipe dream, who do you suggest we go after? This "big named coach".

C. Peterson....who has all of 2yrs head coaching experience, never recruited the sec, beat 1 bcs team with Dan Hawkins' players.

M. Leach....(who I think will end up being the coach) ....also don't get me wrong, I think the guy is very very smart and I would bet he won't come here trying to throw it 50+ times/gm. He is smart enuff to change his offense up some. He has never won at any level. His biggest asset is that he can recruit Texas.

Brian Kelly....won at every level....d3, d2, small d1, cinncy....that does not get you sec success

seb2000

Butch is gone...forget about it.  TT - maybe, but don't count on it.  I think everyone is saying that if someone like Kiffin is hired that it will also come with some great assistants, e.g. the former Ole Miss coach recruiting for Kiffin.  And USC...NFL experience...?  They both mean a lot to young recruits.  It's the same reasoning and argument one would make for Jimmy Johnson - nationally known, winning programs and the NFL - that's what inspires the kids these days.  And winning 3 games this year while showing well in three others (that were losses) with that Oakland team and under Al Davis - not bad.

Mrsherm

That's exactly right seb.....any great program is built with great Asst. Coaches.
Please read my post from 8:30pm tonight.....WHY KIFFIN MAKES THE MOST SENSE....that will give you some insight to Kiffin's staff (which most of whom he would bring with him)...all of them have major college experience (Even d-1 head coaching exp). I also believe he would call Orgeron for sure.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Mrsherm on November 28, 2007, 12:02:44 am
Just for Argument's sake....since BD and TT are out...and obviously JJ was a pipe dream, who do you suggest we go after? This "big named coach".

C. Peterson....who has all of 2yrs head coaching experience, never recruited the sec, beat 1 bcs team with Dan Hawkins' players.

M. Leach....(who I think will end up being the coach) ....also don't get me wrong, I think the guy is very very smart and I would bet he won't come here trying to throw it 50+ times/gm. He is smart enuff to change his offense up some. He has never won at any level. His biggest asset is that he can recruit Texas.

Brian Kelly....won at every level....d3, d2, small d1, cinncy....that does not get you sec success

I still don't belive we have gone after anyone hard enough.  We have to step up and throw some money around.  I have read your post and I want to know if you actually think his entire staff will follow him.  When would he start, now or the end of football season?  I don't think he will leave the Raiders now and if he waits until after football season is over we will be way behind in recruiting.  I have nothing against him.  I am a Raiders fan and I am happy with him being with the Raiders.  I know he worked under Pete Carroll but anyone could recruit to USC under Pete Carroll.  They just go out and pick who they want to give scholarships too (yes I know I am exaggerating a little).

I have said all along that I want the U of A to go out and get someone that has proven they can recruit the SEC and are proven winners.  Kiffin just is not that person in my book.

Member #3568

Hogdomer

An NFL head coach is not a big name!?  I know it's the Raiders, but man, there are only 32 head coaches in the most popular and prestigious sports league in the country.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Hogdomer on November 28, 2007, 12:20:22 am
An NFL head coach is not a big name!?  I know it's the Raiders, but man, there are only 32 head coaches in the most popular and prestigious sports league in the country.

He is not a big name.  Lets face it.  Most of you didn't even know who the guy was before a couple days ago when a few people started pimping him.  Just because you are a pro football coach does not mean you will make a good college head coach.  And if the NFL is so "prestigious" then why are a lot of college coaches paid more than pro coaches.  I think we have some college coaches that could coach circles around a few pro coaches.

Member #3568

HogFansReunited

Look, no point in arguing with me, I am just like a women.  I am never wrong. ;)

Member #3568

Hogdomer

Quote from: FireNutt on November 28, 2007, 12:24:21 am
He is not a big name.  Lets face it.  Most of you didn't even know who the guy was before a couple days ago when a few people started pimping him.  Just because you are a pro football coach does not mean you will make a good college head coach.  And if the NFL is so "prestigious" then why are a lot of college coaches paid more than pro coaches.  I think we have some college coaches that could coach circles around a few pro coaches.

Very few college coaches (Saban, Weis, Stoops) are paid more than any NFL coaches.  Kiffin only makes 2 million at Oakland, but that is one of the lowest (if not the lowest) salaries in the league because he is young and Oakland is a bad franchise with a meddling owner.  

It's true that some college coaches are better than some pro coaches, but that doesn't have anything to do with whether Kiffin is a "big name."  

Anyone who is a current NFL head coach is a "big name" even if people in Arkansas may not have heard of him.  He may or may not be a good college coach, but he is definitely the biggest name we could get if Tuberville and Davis are out of the picture.

East Clintwood

Quote from: FireNutt on November 28, 2007, 12:30:41 am
Look, no point in arguing with me, I am just like a women.  I am never wrong. ;)

You were wrong in this post.  Look up to reply #1 where you said:

QuoteI would take Nutt back before I would want to hire this guy who has 0 college coaching experience.

You can't get any more wrong than that.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

HogFansReunited

I don't believe anyone is out of the picture.  The U of A just needs to step up and throw some money around.

Member #3568

razorbackmkh

No coaching experience at the college level? Being an OC at USC west in 2005 is like being a head coach anywhere else. Ask Reggie Bush or Matt Leinart how they feel about Kiffin. I can't believe this is even a post. You must have zero football knowledge. Kiffin is referred to as one of the top offensive minds in the NATION among coaching circles. On top of that he's young enough to relate to players, and not in a "lets play a pick up game sometime homie" sort of way. Ask any div 1 coach  about Kiffin, they will tell you two things: He's brilliant. They would hate to coach against him. Again, I can't even believe someone posted this.
Every time I see a grown man in a backwards hat I want to b***h slap Trooper Taylor.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 28, 2007, 12:40:50 am

You were wrong in this post.  Look up to reply #1 where you said:

You can't get any more wrong than that.

I will stick to that statement too.  As much as it hurts me to say it, I would want Nutt back before I would take Kiffin.

Member #3568

HogFansReunited

Quote from: razorbackmkh on November 28, 2007, 12:42:17 am
No coaching experience at the college level? Being an OC at USC west in 2005 is like being a head coach anywhere else. Ask Reggie Bush or Matt Leinart how they feel about Kiffin. I can't believe this is even a post. You must have zero football knowledge. Kiffin is referred to as one of the top offensive minds in the NATION among coaching circles. On top of that he's young enough to relate to players, and not in a "lets play a pick up game sometime homie" sort of way. Ask any div 1 coach  about Kiffin, they will tell you two things: He's brilliant. They would hate to coach against him. Again, I can't even believe someone posted this.

I agree that he is a good coach but I do not think he is the right fit for Arkansas.  I never said I did not think he was a good coach.  In fact I said that I am a Raiders fan and I am happy that he is with the Raiders.  If you are going to insult someone you should read everything they posted on the topic first.  And I said he had no college head coaching experience which is true.

Member #3568

snoblind

Quote from: FireNutt on November 28, 2007, 12:40:58 am
I don't believe anyone is out of the picture.  The U of A just needs to step up and throw some money around.

How do you know that they are not out there throwing money around?

sowmonella

Quote from: FireNutt on November 28, 2007, 12:42:33 am
I will stick to that statement too.  As much as it hurts me to say it, I would want Nutt back before I would take Kiffin.

Might want to do a little research on Kiffin.  He would be the hire of the decade in college football.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

ark30inf

Quote from: FireNutt on November 27, 2007, 11:44:42 pm
Anyone?  Please, this would be a horrible move.  I would take Nutt back before I would want to hire this guy who has 0 college coaching experience.

I went out to Raiders sites and they seem nervous about losing him.

If Ole Miss had come to Arkansas boards they would have found masses of people anxious for him to go.

I think you can tell a lot by looking at what a guy's current fans feel about him on an emotional level.

I think we are going to be fine with Kiffin, Tuberville, or even Leach.  We are so worked up right now, but we will be fine.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: snoblind on November 28, 2007, 12:45:48 am
How do you know that they are not out there throwing money around?

If TT stays at Auburn for somewhere around 2 mil. that means we have not thrown enough money at him.  We need to throw somewhere around 3 too 3.5 mil at our next coach.

Member #3568

razorbackmkh

I read what you said in your initial post. You said he was "second best" and that he can't recruit the SEC. That would insinuate that you don't think he's a "good coach". I have to disagree on both points. Ask any division 1 level recruit who Lane Kiffin is and they can tell you. He especially has a great reputation among qbs. Find out more about Kiffin before you decide he would be "second best". As a high school coach I can promise you recruits are very impressed that he's even being considered.
Every time I see a grown man in a backwards hat I want to b***h slap Trooper Taylor.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: razorbackmkh on November 28, 2007, 12:42:17 am

Another thing, a lot of what happened at USC is credited to Pete Carroll.  Like I said above, I just do not think Kiffin is the right choice for Arkansas.  We need someone that can recruit the SEC and has proven head coaching experience at the college level.

Member #3568

HogFansReunited

Quote from: razorbackmkh on November 28, 2007, 12:48:09 am
I read what you said in your initial post. You said he was "second best" and that he can't recruit the SEC. That would insinuate that you don't think he's a "good coach". I have to disagree on both points. Ask any division 1 level recruit who Lane Kiffin is and they can tell you. He especially has a great reputation among qbs. Find out more about Kiffin before you decide he would be "second best". As a high school coach I can promise you recruits are very impressed that he's even being considered.

We will have to agree to disagree then.  I think first best for Arkansas is someone like BD, JJ, or TT.

Member #3568

razorbackmkh

Butch isn't coming, either is Tommy. So who do you suggest? An actual viable candidate that will come to Arkansas that is a bigger or better name than Kiffin?

HogFansReunited

We will have to agree to disagree then.  I think first best for Arkansas is someone like BD, JJ, or TT.  No I don't put Kiffin on the same level as those guys.

Member #3568

snoblind

Quote from: FireNutt on November 28, 2007, 12:47:24 am
If TT stays at Auburn for somewhere around 2 mil. that means we have not thrown enough money at him.  We need to throw somewhere around 3 too 3.5 mil at our next coach.

White spent the extra on Nutt.  He got played.  There was also the 6 mil buyout.  I'm not convinced TT is totally out of the picture anyway.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: razorbackmkh on November 28, 2007, 12:51:18 am
Butch isn't coming, either is Tommy. So who do you suggest? An actual viable candidate that will come to Arkansas that is a bigger or better name than Kiffin?

I still believe we can get one of the three if we step up.

Member #3568

HogFansReunited

Quote from: razorbackmkh on November 28, 2007, 12:51:18 am

So you agree that Kiffin is second best to the people I named?  Maybe I do know a little about football.  ;)

Member #3568

snoblind

Firenutt, I'm not pushing Kiffin, but it is an intriguing possiblity when you consider the assistant coaches he might bring in.

Mrsherm

noooobody is better.....if we can't get BD or JJ, Auburn sites already reporting 7yr deal with TT

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=180273.0

HogFansReunited

Earlier I said I would take Nutt back over Kiffin.  The only reason I think that is because I know Nutt can make it in the SEC.  I want more than that though.  Kiffin has not proven himself as a recruiter and I just do not think he could do it here.  If he was to hire the right assistants then I could support him.  I just want to see someone with some experience though.

Member #3568

Cavehog

Quote from: Mrsherm on November 28, 2007, 12:02:44 am

Leach HAS recruited some talent to a place nobody in their right mind would want to go.  Have you ever been to Lubbock?  And he seems to be capable of developing players, particularly quarterbacks unlike you know who (my God can somebody explain to me how FB thought he was a "teacher").
If you never streaked down Sorority Row, caught the Bud Man twice in one night, or threw a pitcher of beer under the table when ABC came into the Hog Trough . . . you're just a wannabe.

Mrsherm

The only tricky part would be the timing...with the NFL season still going on.
He would have to retain some of the current assistants, or bring in someone like Orgeron (who may be his D-cord if Ryan wanted to stay in the NFL).
And don't forget about Josh Booty, he would make a great qbs coach. He is still connected to major High School football in Los Angeles as well as Louisaina. He could come on campus immediately and he and Ed O could start the recruiting while Lane finished out the yr for Oak. (I don't think he would just burn that bridge by leaving before season's end)

razorbackmkh

No actually I don't agree hes second to those guys. Because they are not a reality at the moment. Who is he second to that Arkansas can actually get?

ark30inf

Quote from: Cavehog on November 28, 2007, 01:03:11 am
Leach HAS recruited some talent to a place nobody in their right mind would want to go.  Have you ever been to Lubbock?  And he seems to be capable of developing players, particularly quarterbacks unlike you know who (my God can somebody explain to me how FB thought he was a "teacher").

I am not in favor of Leach....but I think we would be fine with him.  I think we would be fine with Kiffin, or Tuberville also.  We have a lot of acceptable candidates.  We are all busy ripping each others favorites to pieces here....but in reality.....any of these guys have potential to do something more.

Mrsherm

Cavehog, I am not a Leach hater at all. You are correct, he has recruited to Lubbock. I really think he would modify his offense (he is smarter than people give him credit for). But if he had his pick between Arkansas and UCLA he may choose them.

I would much rather have Leach than Peterson or anybody else if we can't land BD, JJ, or Lane

JaxnHog

Quote from: FireNutt on November 28, 2007, 12:51:43 am
We will have to agree to disagree then.  I think first best for Arkansas is someone like BD, JJ, or TT.  No I don't put Kiffin on the same level as those guys.

Young....energetic....all his players have loved him.....coached on both sides of the field.....offensive genius....assissted under arguably the best college football coach in the nation...proven recruiter....head coach of an NFL team (one of the youngest ever)....yeah, you are right, i guess he isnt on the same level as those guys.  We will be making a mistake if he wants to come and we don't hire him

Baconator

Quote from: Cavehog on November 28, 2007, 01:03:11 am

The only good thing from Lubbock:

wes72949

so if you think kiffin isnt good then why would pete carol of hired him ?