Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why LANE KIFFIN makes the most sense....

Started by Mrsherm, November 27, 2007, 09:31:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrsherm

November 27, 2007, 09:31:27 pm Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 09:42:59 am by Mrsherm
1. Name Recoginzition/Starpower: Being an NFL headcoach and former offensive cordinator at one of the most powerful college football programs in modern history says it all. Not to mention his dad (Monte Kiffin) is one of the most well know defensive coaches in NFL history. His dad also served as Lou Holtz's def. cord. at ARK in the late 70s. We all know it's a different animal trying to recruit today's athlete. Having done it at USC and being a head coach at the highest level in football is a HUGE PLUS for recruiting.

2. Youth:  With youth comes energy. Lane is only 32yrs old. This gives him yet another advantage communicating with todays young star players. He IS only 32 but he has been around coaching since before he was a teenager. He has proven he has what it takes to give the effort and put in the hours at the NFL level. Everyone loved Houston Nutt's energy and passion. Lane could pick up right where Houston left off.

3. Coaching staff with great experience with ties to the south and college football:  If he were to bring most of his current Raider's staff with him (which most coaches do), they could make an immediate impact on recruiting and coaching up the current talent we have on our roster. His staff includes the likes of Rex Ryan (d.cord.) son of the great Buddy Ryan, Rex served as d-cord for OK ST from 97-99 (where his defenses were no worse than 10th in total defense). His current wr coach is Charles Coe who was head coach at Alabama St. and is the father of former HOG Michael Coe. His rbs coach is Tom Rathman, legendary rb at Nebraska and great player in the NFL. The o.line coach is Tom Cable who has major college head coaching experience as well as several yrs as an NFL asst. (last yr he was o.line coach at ATL where they led the league in rushing).

*you can read all his current assistant coaches bio's at www.raiders.com*

This would be a great step in the right direction for Arkansas. I truly believe we are on the edge of taking this program to the next level. Houston did a great job getting us to this point....now let's take it to the next level.

Who knows, maybe in a few years we could get the open section of Razorback Stadium filled in with about 20,000 more seats and make it rock like War Memorial !!!

Go Hogs

Thanks for all the reads....I wanted to add if Rex Ryan wanted to stay in the NFL as many have said (and is very likely) he could go a number of different ways. He could try to talk his dad into coming to be DC for a few years before he retires. Another very good move would to get Ed O as either DC or D.Line coach and recruiting cord.
He also could easily talk Josh Booty into coming in and being qbs coach. Josh is still connected with High School Football in LA and LA (Los Angeles). His dad is a southern high school football LEGEND. It would be very feasable for him to assemble some of his staff and stay on at Oakland until season's end (as Charlie Weiss did at ND). I encourage everyone to pull up any interviews you can on this guy, and look at what other coaches and players have said about him....they all check out.

AR KAN SAS.........................RA ZOR BACKS.............AR KAN SAS.................RA ZOR BACKS !!!!

ark30inf

The_Iceman

Mrsherm

I didn't mention that a GREAT CHOICE for his qbs coach could be Josh Booty. Who is still very connected with major high school football in Los Angeles and Louisaina. His dad is a legend of high school football at Shreveport Evangel

rzrbcks2120

hawgsav1

Kiffin is almost as bad of a offensive playcaller as Jeff Tedford.  Both coaches have wide-open passing games, but they make some dumb decisions in the redzone.  Both end up calling red-zone plays that usually end up in losses or that go for turnovers.  Think USC vs. Oregon State in Kiffin's last year and Cal vs. UCLA this year.  I personally wouldn't want Kiffin. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

bcshog

Quote from: Mrsherm on November 27, 2007, 09:31:27 pm
1. Name Recoginzition/Starpower: Being an NFL headcoach and former offensive cordinator at one of the most powerful college football programs in modern history says it all. Not to mention his dad (Monte Kiffin) is one of the most well know defensive coaches in NFL history. His dad also served as Lou Holtz's def. cord. at ARK in the late 70s. We all know it's a different animal trying to recruit today's athlete. Having done it at USC and being a head coach at the highest level in football is a HUGE PLUS for recruiting.

2. Youth:  With youth comes energy. Lane is only 32yrs old. This gives him yet another advantage communicating with todays young star players. He IS only 32 but he has been around coaching since before he was a teenager. He has proven he has what it takes to give the effort and put in the hours at the NFL level. Everyone loved Houston Nutt's energy and passion. Lane could pick up right where Houston left off.

3. Coaching staff with great experience with ties to the south and college football:  If he were to bring most of his current Raider's staff with him (which most coaches do), they could make an immediate impact on recruiting and coaching up the current talent we have on our roster. His staff includes the likes of Rex Ryan (d.cord.) son of the great Buddy Ryan, Rex served as d-cord for OK ST from 97-99 (where his defenses were no worse than 10th in total defense). His current wr coach is Charles Coe who was head coach at Alabama St. and is the father of former HOG Michael Coe. His rbs coach is Tom Rathman, legendary rb at Nebraska and great player in the NFL. The o.line coach is Tom Cable who has major college head coaching experience as well as several yrs as an NFL asst. (last yr he was o.line coach at ATL where they led the league in rushing).

*you can read all his current assistant coaches bio's at www.raiders.com*

This would be a great step in the right direction for Arkansas. I truly believe we are on the edge of taking this program to the next level. Houston did a great job getting us to this point....now let's take it to the next level.

Who knows, maybe in a few years we could get the open section of Razorback Stadium filled in with about 20,000 more seats and make it rock like War Memorial !!!

Go Hogs

Makes a lot of sense.  Plus one to you if I could.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Could he bring Dad in as a DC, the old sage, and the enforcer ala Rob Evans.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

MF

"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed." ~ Abraham Lincoln

batesvillepharmer

Bill Callahan was an offensive guru for the raiders, and led them to a super bowl. He didnt work out at Nebraska. I doubt rex ryan would be a good fit in the college ranks- see reggie herring on meth. He is an NFL guy like his dad and brother. He will hold out for a pro HC job, imho. The best thing about lane is his time at USC w/ pete carrol and norm chow. That being said, I think hes a fallback guy who could work out, ie pelphrey, but not my 1st choice. that being said Id support him if he gets it.

jep_hog_fan

Quote from: Mrsherm on November 27, 2007, 09:31:27 pm
1. Name Recoginzition/Starpower:

I didn't know he existed until Art hired him. Say what you want about being the offensive coordinator at USC, but that was Carroll's team and Carroll's name as a recruiting tool. Ever pay any attention to how many of those players are STARTING in the NFL? It would've been hard for Nutt to mess that up, but he would've.

aaron_c

How soon might we know, if it were to be Kiffin?  Do you experts/semi-experts think we'll know who it will be by the end of the week, month, or what?

Kilgor

Absolutely.  He has to be at the top of our list if Butch is out.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

pertymouth

Quote from: hawgsav1 on November 27, 2007, 09:40:30 pm
Kiffin is almost as bad of a offensive playcaller as Jeff Tedford.  Both coaches have wide-open passing games, but they make some dumb decisions in the redzone.  Both end up calling red-zone plays that usually end up in losses or that go for turnovers.  Think USC vs. Oregon State in Kiffin's last year and Cal vs. UCLA this year.  I personally wouldn't want Kiffin. 

Think hangin' 70 on our Hogs!! I'd take him in a heartbeat!! He already knows how to beat Nuttsack like a drum!!

Pragmatic PiG

um, why would kiffin leave the nfl after one season as a head coach, to coach a middle level SEC team that is disadvantaged at many levels?

think about this folks

just sayin'

Mrsherm

Quote from: Pragmatic PiG on November 28, 2007, 02:34:27 am
um, why would kiffin leave the nfl after one season as a head coach, to coach a middle level SEC team that is disadvantaged at many levels?

think about this folks

because a coach in the nfl has to put in a minimum of 70hrs/wk....compared to around 50-55 in college for one

two...we would be giving him a pay RAISE...he only makes 2mill at oakland

three....a true coach never looks at it as a "mid-level job", it's a "new challenge"  this guy is 32 he has had a taste of the toughest work at the highest level, he also knows what it's like to have the "pete carroll situation", remember when pete came to sc they were a "mid-level" pac 10 school

just sayin'