Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aaron Ross as a Graduate Transfer ?!?!

Started by jg2003, February 26, 2016, 01:13:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jg2003

Aaron Ross is averaging 17 points over the last 8 games. That stretch started with the loss at Arkansas. Since then, Texas Tech is 6-1 with wins over Iowa State, Baylor, and Oklahoma. He could be quickest fix at the 4 spot, and he has always wanted to be a Hog. Not too mention that one of his best friends is Dusty Hannahs.

jjdlc

Biggest obstacle would be scholarship availability.  We are looking at 2 bigs right now, if we land either one, that means either Watkins goes back to walk-on status, or someone transfers.  Past that, I don't know.

Uncommon

Quote from: jjdlc on February 26, 2016, 01:21:29 pm
Biggest obstacle would be scholarship availability.  We are looking at 2 bigs right now, if we land either one, that means either Watkins goes back to walk-on status, or someone transfers.  Past that, I don't know.
Or someone doesn't qualify out of the current 2016 signee class.

Hawg Red

Quote from: jjdlc on February 26, 2016, 01:21:29 pm

Who is this second big I am seeing people refer to? I don't see a thread in the bball recruiting forum and I haven't noticed anything on Twitter. I know about the kid from Mali.

Uncommon

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 26, 2016, 01:25:58 pm
Who is this second big I am seeing people refer to? I don't see a thread in the bball recruiting forum and I haven't noticed anything on Twitter. I know about the kid from Mali.
The Serb

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/feb/25/arkansas-looking-another-big-man-/

TomBigBeeHog

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 26, 2016, 02:00:10 pm
This can't be right. It's been posted on hogville that CMA won't recruit white players.
TommyBeeHog, never heard such a thing. They going after a 7'2 Angelo Saxon Center from Little Rock.

-Blu

Quote from: jg2003 on February 26, 2016, 01:13:14 pm
Aaron Ross is averaging 17 points over the last 8 games. That stretch started with the loss at Arkansas. Since then, Texas Tech is 6-1 with wins over Iowa State, Baylor, and Oklahoma. He could be quickest fix at the 4 spot, and he has always wanted to be a Hog. Not too mention that one of his best friends is Dusty Hannahs.

I'd be surprised if Tubby allowed that to happen, he'd blow a gasket.  Ross will be a key piece, if not the best player on their team next year.  Also, TT has been there with him through the injuries and everything, probably feels obligated to them.

With that said I'd be excited if he decided to transfer.

lynbug

Quote from: -Blu on February 26, 2016, 02:06:47 pm
I'd be surprised if Tubby allowed that to happen, he'd blow a gasket.  Ross will be a key piece, if not the best player on their team next year.  Also, TT has been there with him through the injuries and everything, probably feels obligated to them.

With that said I'd be excited if he decided to transfer.

Refresh my memory as to why Ross never made it here.  I know originally it was academics.  Did we just forget about him after that, fill his scholarship?  And was Pelfrey the coach that made that decision. 

-Blu

Quote from: lynbug on February 26, 2016, 03:52:36 pm
Refresh my memory as to why Ross never made it here.  I know originally it was academics.  Did we just forget about him after that, fill his scholarship?  And was Pelfrey the coach that made that decision.

I believe he didn't qualify academically when he originally signed with Arkansas, so he went the prep school route, from there he hurt his knee and red-shirted his first season at Texas Tech.  I don't think we recruited him out of prep school.  He was a lot bigger, and different type of player than high school.  And now he's a redshirt junior that seems to have it going for him.

I definitely would welcome him, I just think Tubby seems like kinda guy that would block him from transferring to Arkansas (can he do that for grad transfer? not sure).

Do we know he's going to graduate at the end of this semester? School hasn't really been his thing (with all due respect).

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Karma on February 26, 2016, 04:41:48 pm
Do we know he's going to graduate at the end of this semester? School hasn't really been his thing (with all due respect).

But we are talking about Texas Tech so......
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

lefty08

Quote from: -Blu on February 26, 2016, 04:19:40 pm
I believe he didn't qualify academically when he originally signed with Arkansas, so he went the prep school route, from there he hurt his knee and red-shirted his first season at Texas Tech.  I don't think we recruited him out of prep school.  He was a lot bigger, and different type of player than high school.  And now he's a redshirt junior that seems to have it going for him.

I definitely would welcome him, I just think Tubby seems like kinda guy that would block him from transferring to Arkansas (can he do that for grad transfer? not sure).

Once a kid graduates I don't think the school has the ability to block where he goes, could be wrong though
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Hogimus Prime

Coaches can not block a graduate transfer. It was set up to let the kid go to school that had a graduate program that wasn't offerred at the current school.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 26, 2016, 02:00:10 pm
This can't be right. It's been posted on hogville that CMA won't recruit white players.

Who was it that said," believe none what you hear and half of what you see?"
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HawgnCorona on February 27, 2016, 09:32:35 pm
Who was it that said," believe none what you hear and half of what you see?"

Hellen Keller?

The_Bionic_Pig

We will have our answer soon ....within the next week or so.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hogwood

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on May 12, 2016, 01:48:10 pm
We will have our answer soon ....within the next week or so.

Is that just based on being able to see if he actually graduated or not? Or is there some announcement coming up?

King Kong

May 12, 2016, 02:43:56 pm #19 Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 02:59:55 pm by King Kong
I'll be glad to find out one way to determine if I will stop or continue to watch this Highlight Video a couple of times a week thinking what if......

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GbLSur29uuo"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hogwood

Quote from: King Kong on May 12, 2016, 02:43:56 pm
I'll be glad to find out one way to determine if I will stop or continue to watch this Highlight Video a coupe of times a week thinking what if......

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GbLSur29uuo"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Same here.

The_Iceman

This roster will be so loaded next year with Ross. It's hard to imagine the type of guys that will be sitting next year that could have contributed huge minutes this year.

G: Barford / Beard
G: Hannahs / Macon / Jones
F: Thomas / Watkins / Hazen
F: Ross / Cook / Bailey
C: Kingsley / Thompson

Or something like that.

VirginiaHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 12, 2016, 03:33:08 pm
This roster will be so loaded next year with Ross. It's hard to imagine the type of guys that will be sitting next year that could have contributed huge minutes this year.

Or something like that.
I wouldnt mind that rotation. Macon would be the man in the second group.

hoglady

We are going to Spain in August.
This will give this team 10 practices before the trip plus however many games once we get there.
That will be huge for a team with so many players playing together for the first time.
That trip couldn't have come at a better time for the program.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

King Kong

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 12, 2016, 03:33:08 pm

Or something like that.

There are so many different lineup options with that roster. I can think of about 7-8 different solid line ups from that group.

uncle bubs

Is there anything new on Ross to Arkansas? Or is this mere speculation/hope?
God bless the Boston Mountains.

King Kong

Quote from: uncle bubs on May 12, 2016, 04:19:59 pm
Is there anything new on Ross to Arkansas? Or is this mere speculation/hope?

Well, Porked Tongue said at one time he expected it. Now a lot of time has passed since then and thing could have changed.

He has basically called every major offseason move the past 2 off seasons. Called the Babb transfer, called Portis and Qualls leaving. Called the Whitt, Jenkins transfers along with Moses declaring. All before they were announced.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=611454.msg10278368#msg10278368

Nick Mason also had mentioned on I believe snap chat that Anderson as a starter on the wing lined up. This helped fueled the Ross speciation considering his close relationships with players on our current team Dusty, Macon and Beard

RealHog

May 12, 2016, 04:42:08 pm #27 Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 06:43:59 pm by RealHog
I wouldn't be surprised if he did intend to grad transfer to wait to declare that until after graduation to minimize any potential consequences. Not accusing anybody but I could picture someone at a university just making things a bit harder than he would have to if he was a fan of the university Bball team. There's no benefit to him tipping his hand early if he already has an understanding with Coach Mike to take that last scholly spot on a promising team.

azhog10

Quote from: King Kong on May 12, 2016, 04:32:29 pm
Well, Porked Tongue said at one time he expected it. Now a lot of time has passed since then and thing could have changed.

He has basically called every major offseason move the past 2 off seasons. Called the Babb transfer, called Portis and Qualls leaving. Called the Whitt, Jenkins transfers along with Moses declaring. All before they were announced.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=611454.msg10278368#msg10278368

Nick Mason also had mentioned on I believe snap chat that Anderson as a starter on the wing lined up. This helped fueled the Ross speciation considering his close relationships with players on our current team Dusty, Macon and Beard
To be fair Porked also said Moses would not be coming back......not just that he would declare, but that he wasn't coming back and the assumption (possibly not made directly by him) was that he would go overseas if he didn't get drafted because he needed the money for his family. That said he has called most everything else correctly.

uncle bubs

If this happens, we'll be stacked on paper. We'll have some serious length who can shoot it deep.
God bless the Boston Mountains.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: RealHog on May 12, 2016, 04:42:08 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if he did intend to grad transfer until after graduation to minimize any potential consequences. Not accusing anybody but I could picture someone at a university just making things a bit harder than he would have to if he was a fan of the university Bball team. There's no benefit to him tipping his hand early if he already has an understanding with Coach Mike to take that last scholly spot on a promising team.

Maybe TTU graduation is next weekend. So as he mentioned we should know in a week or so.

1hawgballer2

Tubby Smith has accepted the head coaching position at Memphis State, he no longer coaching at Texas Tech

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ricolacey on May 12, 2016, 06:55:29 pm
Tubby Smith has accepted the head coaching position at Memphis State, he no longer coaching at Texas Tech

FYI, This thread started in Feb when he was the Coach

jjdlc

Quote from: RealHog on May 12, 2016, 04:42:08 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if he did intend to grad transfer to wait to declare that until after graduation to minimize any potential consequences. Not accusing anybody but I could picture someone at a university just making things a bit harder than he would have to if he was a fan of the university Bball team. There's no benefit to him tipping his hand early if he already has an understanding with Coach Mike to take that last scholly spot on a promising team.

Aside from someone screwing with him, which I doubt would happen, I could definitely see him waiting till after graduation.