Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did anyone else just see this on Twitter? RE: OC/QB Coach

Started by FraggleHog, January 16, 2015, 02:06:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FraggleHog

Calling the Hogs from DFW

The Boar War

Interesting.  Worked under Christianson, Tedford, and Monken.  Not exactly guys who share the same philosophy with Bielema.

WooPig90

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HogFanatic

Pig In The City

Wildhog

I don't think it's him, but crazier things have happened.  I think he's SLC-bound.
1909/1964/1965/1977

FraggleHog

Inhogswetrust

Originally from California and worked with Tedford. Has been around a few places but that's common for assistants.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogdomer

He's 34 and has only called plays in a few games this year at Tampa his entire career.  Maybe QB coach, but I can't imagine he will be the offensive coordinator.

HogFanatic

Quote from: Hogdomer on January 16, 2015, 02:21:30 pm
He's 34 and has only called plays in a few games this year at Tampa his entire career.  Maybe QB coach, but I can't imagine he will be the offensive coordinator.

He is an interim OC in the NFL.
Someone above even Bielema's pay grade thinks he is good enough to call plays.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

lrcentral

I know Robb Smith worked out well but I don't think collecting coaches from a horrible NFL team is wise.

HogFanatic

Quote from: lrcentral on January 16, 2015, 02:23:56 pm
I know Robb Smith worked out well but I don't think collecting coaches from a horrible NFL team is wise.

That isn't a very good metric for determining a coach's ability.

FraggleHog

Quote from: Hogdomer on January 16, 2015, 02:21:30 pm

Was also OC @ Southern Miss

Hogdomer

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on January 16, 2015, 02:23:44 pm
He is an interim OC in the NFL.
Someone above even Bielema's pay grade thinks he is good enough to call plays.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

He was only interim oc because Tedford was sick.  Also, Tampa was the worst offense in the league.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on January 16, 2015, 02:19:37 pm
Worked with Robb Smith at Tampa.
I'm for it.

I don't think he did.  If he did, it wasn't for long.

HogFanatic

SwineGrind

Filled in as OC for tamp while the originally OC was out with some illness. Tampa quickly runs out and scoops up the Falcons OC. I keep my opinion to myself.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on January 16, 2015, 02:30:58 pm
Maybe he didn't.
I am assuming.

You were actually right.  Just looked it up.  Arroyo was hired in Tampa in January '14 and Smith was hired here Feb '14.  They probably do know each other to some extent, but probably no working relationship.

HogFanatic

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 16, 2015, 02:33:52 pm
You were actually right.  Just looked it up.  Arroyo was hired in Tampa in January '14 and Smith was hired here Feb '14.  They probably do know each other to some extent, but probably no working relationship.

First time for everything I suppose.
Haha

hawg1221

When I looked at his bio and saw nothing but words like "QB play", "throwing yards", and "spread offense", well I know It's not him. If that's the case, then why let Chaney leave? Seems like the same ole same ole to me. Didn't see the word "RB" and "rushing yards" anywhere. QB coach fine, but OC...Nope!! Not gonna happen.

HogFanatic

Quote from: hawg1221 on January 16, 2015, 02:39:37 pm
When I looked at his bio and saw nothing but words like "QB play", "throwing yards", and "spread offense", well I know It's not him. If that's the case, then why let Chaney leave? Seems like the same ole same ole to me. Didn't see the word "RB" and "rushing yards" anywhere. QB coach fine, but OC...Nope!! Not gonna happen.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with running a spread...even if you want to run a pro-style smash mouth offense.

Bielema obviously wants to be able to throw the ball well. HE can run an offense that can run the ball well. He has done it very well so far.

Maybe he wants to hire pass-happy OCs? That way his offense will be able to do whatever he wants it to do. This would explain the Chaney hire.
As for why let Chaney go? Because he just isn't a very good second half play caller.
It isn't really up for debate. The numbers speak for themselves.

Smokehouse

Quote from: Hogdomer on January 16, 2015, 02:25:29 pm
He was only interim oc because Tedford was sick.  Also, Tampa was the worst offense in the league.

You can probably blame the GM more than the coaches on that one. Hard to field a decent offense when you have a bad o-line, your offseason QB signing going down (not that McCown was an inspiring grab anyway), two playmakers from the draft spending most of their rookie seasons injured in Sefarian-Jenkins and Sims, and Evans being injured for the first half of the season too.

When Evans came back and they had a decent bit of their offense actually on the field they looked pretty good.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

sickboy

Tampa's been one of the worst teams in the league for more than a decade. Every coach who walked through those halls can't be bad. It's not statistically possible. When an organization is that consistently bad... you start to question the ownership/management and not the coaching.

Point being... I wouldn't judge how good a coach is if they are coaching a doormat franchise in the NFL. Coaching isn't so cut and dry in the NFL.

Pork Twain

I do not care one way or the other on this guy but you are only as good as the players the GM gives you in the NFL
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Wildhog

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 16, 2015, 03:12:03 pm
I do not care one way or the other on this guy but you are only as good as the players the GM gives you in the NFL

Unless you're Dowell Loggains.  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

Tim Harris

Quote from: Wildhog on January 16, 2015, 03:15:33 pm
Unless you're Dowell Loggains.  :)

I wonder if everyone else will find this as funny as I did

ricepig

Seebs

Tampa didn't have our O-Line
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

SwineGrind

Hogdomer

Quote from: sickboy on January 16, 2015, 03:08:13 pm
Tampa's been one of the worst teams in the league for more than a decade. Every coach who walked through those halls can't be bad. It's not statistically possible. When an organization is that consistently bad... you start to question the ownership/management and not the coaching.

Point being... I wouldn't judge how good a coach is if they are coaching a doormat franchise in the NFL. Coaching isn't so cut and dry in the NFL.

Agreed, although most of the same points could be made about an OC at the D-1 level. 

The point is he is really young with a thin resume to be an Offensive Coordinator at an SEC school.  His interim stint as OC at Tampa due to desparate circumstances is not enough, nor is serving as OC at one of the worst D-1 teams in the last twenty years in 2013 Southern Miss.  QB coach makes more sense. 

Wildhog

FootballScoop Staff ‏@FootballScoop  1m1 minute ago
Per source, former Oklahoma WRs coach Jay Norvell will join Texas' staff http://FootballScoop.com/the-scoop
1909/1964/1965/1977

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Wildhog on January 16, 2015, 04:27:53 pm
FootballScoop Staff ‏@FootballScoop  1m1 minute ago
Per source, former Oklahoma WRs coach Jay Norvell will join Texas' staff http://FootballScoop.com/the-scoop
That makes a lot of sense. Hire a guy that knows Big 12 defenses up and down and knows your biggest rival like the back of his hand and is motivated like hell to beat them.

The word in the media is that he wasn't OUs problem but was in fact a scapegoat firing.

ArkansasI

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 16, 2015, 04:45:18 pm
That makes a lot of sense. Hire a guy that knows Big 12 defenses up and down and knows your biggest rival like the back of his hand and is motivated like hell to beat them.

The word in the media is that he wasn't OUs problem but was in fact a scapegoat firing.
Bob can't fire his brother, can he?

Wildhog

Yeah, I've read that in several places, too.  Big Game Bob doing what it takes to remain employed.
1909/1964/1965/1977

MuskogeeHogFan

That was my thought as well. Sacrificial goat to the execution of OC Josh Heupel.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogarusa

Quote from: Wildhog on January 16, 2015, 04:51:24 pm
Yeah, I've read that in several places, too.  Big Game Bob doing what it takes to remain employed.

11 wins a season for a decade not good enough at OU it seems
I'll ride the wave where it takes me