Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Short List For OC

Started by reddogjcss, January 11, 2015, 06:33:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Twain

No matter who is hired here, you are going to have the annoyingly vocal minority complaining about it.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 15, 2015, 02:56:41 pm
I would say 80% of our playbook is already in place regardless of who we hire as the OC.  Wienke is a smart guy and I'm sure he handle it.
So you think a new OC is going to come in and work out of Chaney's playbook with Chaney's terminology? That might happen but generally the new OC brings in his own playbook. The offense might not change a bunch but specific plays and how they are blocked might be a lot different.

Guess we will see.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 15, 2015, 05:57:25 pm
So you think a new OC is going to come in and work out of Chaney's playbook with Chaney's terminology? That might happen but generally the new OC brings in his own playbook. The offense might not change a bunch but specific plays and how they are blocked might be a lot different.

Guess we will see.

I think he believes CBB dictates 80% of the play book
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

younghog

Guess we will see.

yes we will see.. I would think the WHAM play and other key plays that were a staple would be kept.
GO HOGS

Huckleberry Pig

Ya Mike pretty sure he's saying CBB already has 80% of the play book decided, which wouldn't surprise me.   New OC would be coming in and learning CBB's system, not Chaney's

Kevin

I don't think it was ever chaney's playbook. I think cbb is like Alvarez, this is what the offense is going to look like
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Huckleberry Pig

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 15, 2015, 09:25:44 am
If we really want a high powered offensive game we need to hire Paul Petrino from Idaho.  He's proven he can run an offense and be successful.
Link?
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

IBleedRazorbackRed

Would y'all rather have:

Norvell oc/qb and Smith wr or
Norvell oc/wr and Weinke qb or
Weinke oc/qb and Smith wr or
Weinke oc/qb and Norvell wr?

scruf

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on January 15, 2015, 07:38:07 pm
Would y'all rather have:

ShaneHog

If it's John Shoop I will have a fit. He was OC for the Chicago Bears and sucked. Always call WR screen on 3rd and long

1HourToHogville

Is there a legitimate short list yet?  I've heard wishes, dreams, and fears in 17 pages.
Who is really in the running?

Kevin

If I had to choose, Weinke gets on the staff, anyway they can.  Take him as oc if you have to.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HOGINTENNESSEE

Would y'all rather have:

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Vcloudv

FWIW

From RD's latest article
(iPads not letting me post link..... ???)

Arkansas linebacker commitment Derrick Graham said he's always been solid to the the Hogs, but the visit with defensive coordinator Robb Smith today reconfirmed his pledge.

He said Randy Shannon leaving made him want to know who would coach linebackers and Smith told him he would coach the linebackers if push came to shove. He said he was always sold on the Hogs.

I wonder if the Norvell/Weinke talk could be more than just a hogville myth???

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: Vcloudv on January 15, 2015, 10:00:58 pm
FWIW

From RD's latest article
(iPads not letting me post link..... ???)

Arkansas linebacker commitment Derrick Graham said he's always been solid to the the Hogs, but the visit with defensive coordinator Robb Smith today reconfirmed his pledge.

He said Randy Shannon leaving made him want to know who would coach linebackers and Smith told him he would coach the linebackers if push came to shove. He said he was always sold on the Hogs.

I wonder if the Norvell/Weinke talk could be more than just a hogville myth???

Even if robb smith coaches linebackers, they'll still hire another defensive coach.

1HourToHogville

I'm hoping to be surprised by Mike Norvell.

Mike_e

Weinke > Gruden.  ;)

QB coach only though,  He'd have to prove too much in the off season to justify an OC spot.

Even though a kid can drive a go-cart you don't want to turn him loose with the Hummer until he's shown he's not going to bend it.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

Tim Harris

Guess we will see.

I don't consider changing what a play is called a new play.  I'm basing this over what I saw throughout the years of Bielema at Wisconsin and then his first 2 years here.  Chaney's offense looked very similar to what Matt Canada did at Wisconsin which was very similar to what Paul Chryst did when he was the OC there.  Anyone we hire will add his own wrinkle but I would be very surprised if we see any drastic changes.

yankeefaninHOGland

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 16, 2015, 08:12:10 am
I don't consider changing what a play is called a new play.  I'm basing this over what I saw throughout the years of Bielema at Wisconsin and then his first 2 years here.  Chaney's offense looked very similar to what Matt Canada did at Wisconsin which was very similar to what Paul Chryst did when he was the OC there.  Anyone we hire will add his own wrinkle but I would be very surprised if we see any drastic changes.

Interesting, I have heard that CBB has a run/pass philosophy based on down and distance that his OC has to stay inline with but they are offered a significant amount of freedom after that.  I see CBB as a CEO type coach that gives the freedom to call plays within the guidelines of his philosophy...

jm

They could move Lunney to coach the QB's and bring in whoever they want as OC/TE coach. I don't know if Lunney is capable, but it seems that a OC/TE coach would be a good idea because TE's are kind of unique in that they work directly with every position group and could be considered a lineman, receiver, or in the backfield depending on the formation/play called.

texas tush hog

Quote from: jm on January 16, 2015, 09:10:08 am
They could move Lunney to coach the QB's and bring in whoever they want as OC/TE coach. I don't know if Lunney is capable, but it seems that a OC/TE coach would be a good idea because TE's are kind of unique in that they work directly with every position group and could be considered a lineman, receiver, or in the backfield depending on the formation/play called.

Imagine Allen, Allen, Peavy, and Storey trying to throw left handed. LOL

DeltaBoy

We are having too much fun speculation on this one.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Wildhog

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 16, 2015, 11:53:46 am
Marcus Arroyo.

Just noticed that tweet.  Says he interviewed for a P5 OC job a few days ago.
1909/1964/1965/1977

WriterWrong

Would y'all rather have:

Definitely 2.

Norvell would be a really good fit at OC and Weinke would be one of our very best options coaching QB's.

Not saying he does a bad job or anything, but can anyone pinpoint the pros of Smith as our WR coach? Maybe he's an excellent recruiter and I just haven't seen it. But, so far, I have seen very little improvement out of our WR's and he hasn't seemed to have made a big impact on the recruiting trail. Just my thoughts.

hawgjr

Quote from: Wildhog on January 16, 2015, 12:06:37 pm
Just noticed that tweet.  Says he interviewed for a P5 OC job a few days ago.
Whose tweet?

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

hawgjr

Wildhog

Quote from: LFC Hog on January 16, 2015, 12:22:14 pm
Hmmm, interesting.

What's more interesting is that there are only three FBS OC openings that I'm aware of.  Us, Utah, and Utah State

Arroyo's a west coast guy, so either Utah school wouldn't be a shock.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Tim Harris

Quote from: Wildhog on January 16, 2015, 12:28:50 pm
What's more interesting is that there are only three FBS OC openings that I'm aware of.  Us, Utah, and Utah State

Arroyo's a west coast guy, so either Utah school wouldn't be a shock.

Is Utah St in a power 5 conference?

Wildhog

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 16, 2015, 12:46:24 pm
Is Utah St in a power 5 conference?

Oops.  I was thinking FBS for a minute.  Yeah, so it's probably Utah.

From what I've read on him, I don't think we want him.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Tim Harris

Quote from: Wildhog on January 16, 2015, 12:49:32 pm
Oops.  I was thinking FBS for a minute.  Yeah, so it's probably Utah.

From what I've read on him, I don't think we want him.

If Utah's website is up to date they already have a RB, OL, QB, and WR coach on staff.

Wildhog

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 16, 2015, 12:51:47 pm
If Utah's website is up to date they already have a RB, OL, QB, and WR coach on staff.

Greg Auman ‏@gregauman  14m14 minutes ago
Two openings I've heard as possible landing spots for former Bucs QBs coach Marcus Arroyo: OC jobs at Utah and Utah State.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Tim Harris

Quote from: Wildhog on January 16, 2015, 12:52:49 pm
Greg Auman ‏@gregauman  14m14 minutes ago
Two openings I've heard as possible landing spots for former Bucs QBs coach Marcus Arroyo: OC jobs at Utah and Utah State.

Well damn...now we have to start all over again trying to figure this thing out.

Wildhog

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 16, 2015, 12:54:41 pm
Well damn...now we have to start all over again trying to figure this thing out.

:)
1909/1964/1965/1977

Jackrabbit Hog

Whoever the new OC turns out to be, I hope he doesn't have that one play in his playbook that Chaney constantly had BA run this year.  I'm not sure what he called it, but it's the one where BA took the snap, rolled out to his right, then started sort of side-stepping, shuffling toward the right sideline, then threw the ball into the third row of the bleachers.  I don't think we made a first down running that play all year long even though we'd run it 4-5 times a game, so I hope the new OC junks it.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

CDBHawg

PigTimePlayer

I hope Marcus Arroyo remains a potential candidate long enough to hear Randy try to say his name on DTS.
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

woodrow hog call

Quote from: PigTimePlayer on January 16, 2015, 01:18:42 pm
I hope Marcus Arroyo remains a potential candidate long enough to hear Randy try to say his name on DTS.

I nearly shot Mt dew out my nose just then, lol
I can promise he would get the rrrrrrrrr part.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Wildhog

FootballScoop Staff ‏@FootballScoop  1m1 minute ago
Per source, former Oklahoma WRs coach Jay Norvell will join Texas' staff http://FootballScoop.com/the-scoop
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 16, 2015, 04:28:14 pm
FootballScoop Staff ‏@FootballScoop  1m1 minute ago
Per source, former Oklahoma WRs coach Jay Norvell will join Texas' staff http://FootballScoop.com/the-scoop

I think you missed the politics forum, lol. 

Scott7703

Did anyone hear who Trey Schaap was dropping hints about all show? Heard him building up to it all show then missed where he named someone.

TrueBlue

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 16, 2015, 12:57:55 pm
Whoever the new OC turns out to be, I hope he doesn't have that one play in his playbook that Chaney constantly had BA run this year.  I'm not sure what he called it, but it's the one where BA took the snap, rolled out to his right, then started sort of side-stepping, shuffling toward the right sideline, then threw the ball into the third row of the bleachers.  I don't think we made a first down running that play all year long even though we'd run it 4-5 times a game, so I hope the new OC junks it.

All in all, it was a pretty consistent outcome every time we ran that play. The only difference would be sometimes it went into the fourth or fifth row. BA just needs to work on his mechanics a little to keep it in the third row. 

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: TrueBlue on January 16, 2015, 04:35:44 pm
All in all, it was a pretty consistent outcome every time we ran that play. The only difference would be sometimes it went into the fourth or fifth row. BA just needs to work on his mechanics a little to keep it in the third row.
This.  If he can improve another 1-2 rows this year, we're golden.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Poppa Tart on January 16, 2015, 05:20:35 pm
This.  If he can improve another 1-2 rows this year, we're golden.

Maybe if we just didn't call it as often, it would work better.  Element of surprise might help. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hogarusa

I feel we have made a lot of progress with the short list over the past 48 hours
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

SwineGrind

I kinda liked the play where BA throws to the 3rd row. It was the end and around with AJ Derby that baffled me.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Scott7703 on January 16, 2015, 04:34:16 pm
Did anyone hear who Trey Schaap was dropping hints about all show? Heard him building up to it all show then missed where he named someone.

Anybody?