Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Game 12 thread: #5 Arkansas (8-3, 0-0 SEC) vs. USC (8-2, 0-0 PAC12)

Started by JHicks3636, March 03, 2018, 06:47:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JHicks3636

#5 ARKANSAS vs Southern Cal
at Baum Stadium   Sunday 12:30 p.m.

[/quote]

JHicks3636

WELCOME TO RAZORBACK BASEBALL 2018 - HOGVILLE.net OFFICIAL GAME 10 THREAD
   #5 ARKANSAS ( 8-3,0-0 SEC) vs Southern Cal (8-2, 0-0 PAC12)

This is game 3 of 3 games in Baum Stadium which began on Friday and concludes on Sunday. The teams have split the first two games.

SUNDAY'S First Pitch is set for 12:30pm central time and WILL NOT BE TELEVISED. SEC+ will stream this game.

Play-by-Play Narrative:
For many years, Hogville members who love Razorback Baseball have come together to produce these game threads with play-by-play narrative for those that depend on it as their only source and for those that just simply enjoy it. These threads have been a foundation for great Hogville discussions and that tradition continues today as this is NOT a read only thread (all Hogville posting rules apply).

Poconohog will provide the play-by-play narrative for this game.  A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, , ucaHogfan, sir-pigs-a-lot, JHGiunta, Wisco Pig, HogFansReunited, Arkansas Traveler, Maddhog,Razorbacks#1, and JHicks3636 will assist with stats, back up, and support. We hope that the many other regular posters will join in also and continue to add quality input. If you are new to the Extra Innings - Razorback Baseball Game Threads and you understand the rules, feel free to join in the conversations. If you have questions, read this:  http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=626632.0

Click below for: The Fight Song:
http://fightmusic.com/mp3/sec/Arkansas__Arkansas_Fight_Song__(Play,_Sing,_Play).mp3

Click below for: University Of Arkansas Alma Mater 
http://fightmusic.com/mp3/sec/Arkansas__University_Of_Arkansas_Alma_Mater.mp3

JHicks3636

Thanks to "sevenof400" for the link.
                                                                          NATIONAL ANTHEM

TIME TO CALL THE HOGS!

JHicks3636

JHicks3636

0                        12:30 p.m.                 0

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | - |  R  |  H  | E  |LOB
USC                |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    | -  |  0  |  0  | 0  | 0   
Arkansas       |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    | -  |  0  |  0  | 0  | 0   

swineology

hogdollar

Tony Perkis

Tony Perkis

After yesterday, I really really want to hand it to these Cali Bros today.

Also, I had fans sitting behind me yesterday cheering for USC that sounded like they were from SE Arkansas (not hating, I grew up there). It was extremely weird.

BigBrandonAllenFan

I have a lot of cousins in the Dumas and Star City area.  Their dialect is definitely detectable.  They don't go to school, they go to schoo, and you are not a fool, you are a foo.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 04, 2018, 09:59:33 am
I have a lot of cousins in the Dumas and Star City area.  Their dialect is definitely detectable.  They don't go to school, they go to schoo, and you are not a fool, you are a foo.
Yep. These fans were cheering for the "Trojins" and hoping that "Nootber would knock heem in"

BigBrandonAllenFan

Hog batters CAN'T watch strike 3's go straight down the middle.  SWING THE DANG BAT!!

A series win against So Cal would be all you could ask for.  They are a good team with a good pitching staff and they will in all likelyhood be in the field of 64.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Tony Perkis on March 04, 2018, 10:01:09 am
Yep. These fans were cheering for the "Trojins" and hoping that "Nootber would knock heem in"

Lol.. Gotta love it. 

ricepig

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 04, 2018, 10:03:20 am
Hog batters CAN'T watch strike 3's go straight down the middle.  SWING THE DANG BAT!!

A series win against So Cal would be all you could ask for.  They are a good team with a good pitching staff and they will in all likelyhood be in the field of 64.

They aren't picked as one of BA's 4 Pac-12 teams to make a regional, fwiw.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2018-conference-previews-pac-12/#7FIYR18YwFDvkz52.97

BroyledNutts

I look forward to watching the Hogs play with some fire and some urgency ... there wasn't much of either yesterday.

USC is a good team, but they're not top of the SEC good - I want to see the Hogs flex a little muscle and show they're as capable against good competition as they've been billed to be ...

onebadrubi

PoconoHog

Starting lineup for the HOGS...

Biggers  SS     .316
Cole  CF          .342
Kjerstad  RF   ..405
Bonfield  LF    .382
Lee  DH         .375
Martin  3B     .400
Gates  1B      .276
Koch  C         .276
Wilson  2B    .417

Murphy on the mound
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time." 
Never one to mince words, "We're surrounded," he said in battle. "That simplifies the problem."  Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

PoconoHog

Starting lineup for the Trojans...

Bushor  SS
Nootbaar  LF
Perez  2B
Paulson  1B
Acosta  CF
O'Guinn  RF
Sabol  C
Dubb  DH
Armenta  3B

RHP Hurt on the mound
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time." 
Never one to mince words, "We're surrounded," he said in battle. "That simplifies the problem."  Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

JHicks3636

It has apparently been raining in Fayetteville. It delayed the softball game this morning although the game is back underway. Someone in the area might be able to give us a better update on weather.

TebowHater

Quote from: TebowHater on March 04, 2018, 09:37:37 am
One question: is Kenley or Wilson as good a hitter as Shaddy (at least Shaddy of the past year)? At what point do we start giving that a try? Wilson can replace Shaddy at 2B. If Kenley, we move Martin to 2B, which is where DVH feels his future is anyway. Even with Shaddy's improvement, both of those guys would be an upgrade in the field and at least give us hope for something different at the plate.

Quote from: PoconoHog on March 04, 2018, 11:04:44 am

Biggers  SS
Cole  CF
Kjerstad  RF
Bonfield  LF
Lee  DH
Martin  3B
Gates  1B
Koch  C
Wilson  2B

Murphy on the mound

At what point do we try it? I guess today! Hopefully Wilson can get it done.

----

Also, I find it kind of funny after the huge debate in yesterday's game thread that Hog in Dallas got the exact wish he was hoping for! Lee in for Fletcher, wow. Obviously probably isn't permanent but I am surprised to see it, especially after Fletcher's gun down yesterday. Luke in left is definitely a step down defensively. Hope it works!

Tony Perkis

Quote from: JHicks3636 on March 04, 2018, 11:07:28 am
It has apparently been raining in Fayetteville. It delayed the softball game this morning although the game is back underway. Someone in the area might be able to give us a better update on weather.
Overcast, but dry right now. Looks like it could start raining at any time. Looks like a higher % of rain as the day goes on.

onebadrubi

Quote from: TebowHater on March 04, 2018, 11:12:58 am
At what point do we try it? I guess today! Hopefully Wilson can get it done.

----

Also, I find it kind of funny after the huge debate in yesterday's game thread that Hog in Dallas got the exact wish he was hoping for! Lee in for Fletcher, wow. Obviously probably isn't permanent but I am surprised to see it, especially after Fletcher's gun down yesterday. Luke in left is definitely a step down defensively. Hope it works!

You hate to see shaddy benched but we've got to get some hot bats in the lineup with some good fielding. 

PoconoHog

AHiD

Biggers  SS     .316
Cole  CF          .342
Kjerstad  RF   ..405
Bonfield  LF    .382
Lee  DH         .375
Martin  3B     .400
Gates  1B      .276
Koch  C         .276
Wilson  2B    .417

Murphy on the mound

I expect an apology from everyone who got mad at me for suggesting we bench Dom for Lee.
My name...is Jerruh

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2018, 10:12:07 am
They aren't picked as one of BA's 4 Pac-12 teams to make a regional, fwiw.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2018-conference-previews-pac-12/#7FIYR18YwFDvkz52.97

Maybe those writers haven't seen them play.  We have, and I think they are top 64 without a doubt.  They have the pitching to get them there.  Two good starters, and two solid closers as we saw yesterday.  Good pitching wins games.  We will see actually how deep their starting rotation is today.  I'm thinking it's going to be decent.  Just my assessment vs BA's.  We'll see who is right come the end of May.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Biggers  SS     .316
Cole  CF          .342
Kjerstad  RF   ..405
Bonfield  LF    .382
Lee  DH         .375
Martin  3B     .400
Gates  1B      .276
Koch  C         .276
Wilson  2B    .417

Murphy on the mound

I'm all for seeing Kjerstad in the third spot.  He had a big double yesterday at a critical time and they others couldn't bring him around.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Bottom line, the "Trojins" have came to our park and held us to 5 runs in two games.  Either we are worse than we think, or they are better than we thought.  I have to think we are a solid team, which leads me to believe they are pretty darn good themselves.  They came to our park and beat us, handily one could say.  They're not shabs. I'll be tickled red just to win the series.  I'll take a 1-0 win and be happy.

thebignasty

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on March 04, 2018, 11:40:19 am
I expect an apology from everyone who got mad at me for suggesting we bench Dom for Lee.

Not going to apologize, I wasn't mad, just disagreed. If it was me, I'd be letting Dom fight through it still.  We are all glad DVH is making the calls instead of me though.  And you did call it, so kudos on that.

HogsonHicks

Quote from: thebignasty on March 04, 2018, 12:09:08 pm
Not going to apologize, I wasn't mad, just disagreed. If it was me, I'd be letting Dom fight through it still.  We are all glad DVH is making the calls instead of me though.  And you did call it, so kudos on that.

This is likely just a day off for Fletcher to get his head straight and relax. Sometimes a day watching and not pressing at the plate can do wonders.

SPAL

If it works, great. You havent been proved correct yet though. You've gotten your wish.....bit at this point, it's just an experiment.

With that said, if I'm wrong, then I'll gladly say so. One thing about me, I'll admit if someone else is right. Most on this board don't have a problem being wrong. Baseball is a game where there a tons of viewpoints and strategies. I hope this one works out and we maul these Cali dudes.

bulldog04

I would  imagine Lee will come in for relief of Murphy and we will see him hit and pitch in the same game

ucahogfan

Quote from: bulldog04 on March 04, 2018, 12:28:46 pm
I would  imagine Lee will come in for relief of Murphy and we will see him hit and pitch in the same game
That is my thought as well since he is not starting in the OF.  Maybe close the game out since we will lose the DH when he comes in.

Razorbacks#1

Go RAZORBACKS! Checking in from Maumelle, Ar.

Bring us a win Pocono!
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

PoconoHog

SPAL

PoconoHog

Bushor...count 1 - 0...count 1 - 1...count 2 - 1...count 2 - 2...base hit to LF
Man on 1st   0 outs

No Inning can start after 4:00 today

ucahogfan

Not sure where that 0-1 pitch to Nootbaar was.  Looked to be a clear strike at the knees.

PoconoHog

Nootbaar...count 0 -1...count 1 - 1...count 1 - 2...ground ball to Gates....DP
2 outs   Bases empty

TebowHater

SPAL

TebowHater

PoconoHog

Perez...count 0 -1...count 1 - 1...count 2 - 1...count 2 - 2...fouls off several pitches...full count...flies out to Cole to end the inning
Heading to bottom of 1st
NO SCORE

TebowHater

PoconoHog

Biggers, Cole and Kjerstad due up for Hogs in bottom of 1st

JHicks3636

0                        1st Inning                0

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | - |  R  |  H  | E  |LOB
USC               0|    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    | -  |  0  |  1  | 0  | 0   
Arkansas       |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    | -  |  0  |  0  | 0  | 0   

SPAL

AHiD

Quote from: thebignasty on March 04, 2018, 12:09:08 pm

Thanks man, and sorry for the misunderstanding.
My name...is Jerruh

AHiD

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 04, 2018, 12:20:31 pm
If it works, great. You havent been proved correct yet though. You've gotten your wish.....bit at this point, it's just an experiment.

With that said, if I'm wrong, then I'll gladly say so. One thing about me, I'll admit if someone else is right. Most on this board don't have a problem being wrong. Baseball is a game where there a tons of viewpoints and strategies. I hope this one works out and we maul these Cali dudes.

Thanks mate.
My name...is Jerruh