Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Brummett: "When Hosts Boo Their Guests"

Started by WilsonHog, March 25, 2008, 12:13:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

http://www. [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/archive/2008/03/25/JohnBrummett/345713.html

BCShogs

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 25, 2008, 12:13:09 pm
http://www. [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/archive/2008/03/25/JohnBrummett/345713.html

Brummett should stick to politics.

Poorboyjr

toozakpig

My brain hurts now after reading that garabage.

Wayne Watson

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

WindyCityHog

Ho-hum...It was Texas.  Years of hating them doesn't mean we should suddenly become gracious hosts.

kingoftherapids

i would expect the same if we went to austin. its part of the rivalry. quit crying. take your Midol and write a story about the more "positive" stuff.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

SemperFi

Do you think that John heard me booing from my living room? Had Rick Barnes not made those stupid remarks, challenging the HOG faithful then John might have had to find something else to write about.

I've booed them as I was driving thru Austin on my way to San Antonio and I'll continue to boo the shorthorns until they spread my ashes across Razorback Stadium.

WOOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOOOOOOOOOOOOIE!
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

hawgapalooza

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 25, 2008, 12:24:16 pm
Brummett is correct.

Booing Texas over a long ago, one-sided rivalry is yet another sign of the Arkansas Inferiority Complex.

+1.  I live in Texas and there are longhorn fans everywhere you go of course.  Noone ever slams the Hogs unless a debate is brought up.  Thier trash talk is always about the sooners and the aggies.  there is no rivalry and us booing any team as a host in a tourney that we are not playing is embarrasing.

WilsonHog

I suspect ol' John wrote that piece for two reasons: (1) he does truly believe the obvious obsession to be rather silly; and (2) he knew it would piss people off (as evidenced by some of the responses in this thread). 

Justifiable Hogicide

They probably overdid it with the boos but Brummett delights in tearing down and criticizing anything to do with Razorback sports.

He's really an oddball and probably could'nt get a date for the games when he was young or some other bad memory or jealousy from his youth.

hawgapalooza

Quote from: bbrj on March 25, 2008, 12:35:53 pm
If I want to boo Texas because of the way we were treated in the past (see Nolan Richardson), then I'll boo.  I don't consider it an Arkansas Inferiority Complex.  I consider it a hatred of Texas.  If you wish not to boo, I don't call you some young pup who doesn't understand Razorback sports history.  I just consider that your choice.  Don't rip mine!

define a young pup

HOG RED UMP

'But we simply weren't quite up to it in the area of being personally secure and humanly gracious.'

As self descriptive as anything Brummett has ever opined.

And Brummett has the sweetest wife in the world.  They are as mismatched as any couple that I have ever been around.  Brummett is the premier lemon-sucking personna of Arkansas columnists and Wally's supreme idol.
"The best thing about umpiring is seeing the best in baseball every day. The cardinal rule of umpiring is to follow the ball wherever it goes. Well, if you watch the ball, you can't help seeing somebody make a great catch... That's what makes umpiring so much fun." - National League Umpire Shag Crawford

girliehog

I wasn't there when Barnes was "joshing" with the media, but I did read about it in an article, and it didn't appear in print that he was being funny. 

I'm over the rivalry of years past.  The booing was because Barnes was taken as the pr***k he is and we didn't like it.  Maybe we were misinformed, God forbid the media take something out of context, but either way, a little booing never hurt anybody.  Unless my hogs were throwing batteries and stalking Barnes in the hallway, I still think we're among the classiest of fans.
If those at the end of the game had been lawn darts instead of footballs, our guys wouldn't have gotten up.

Bacon The Saddle Again

From the article-
QuoteBut Arkansas has such a thin skin against which it rests that ubiquitous and oversized chip on the shoulder.

These were Arkansas people doing the booing, and, in so doing, revealing and disparaging only themselves.

They were altogether boorish and classless. They revealed insecurity and inferiority complexes. They extended special respect, actually, to those booed.

One guy wore a Razorback red T-shirt strained over his midriff. It announced: "Certified Hornhater."

If Arkansans are so vile, classless, rednecked, uneducated, etc...why is he using words like ubiquitous?

cobra kai

Quote from: hawgapalooza on March 25, 2008, 12:29:16 pm
+1.  I live in Texas and there are longhorn fans everywhere you go of course.  Noone ever slams the Hogs unless a debate is brought up.  Thier trash talk is always about the sooners and the aggies.  there is no rivalry and us booing any team as a host in a tourney that we are not playing is embarrasing.

Geez, lighten up a little.  Texas did the exact same thing in '95.  They booed our band, our cheerleaders, as well as the team -- just part of the whole college sports rivalry thing -- no need to take it so seriously and get upset about it.  I would expect the same treatment if I attended a game in Austin.  Besides, I was at the game.  Everything was done in fun and the Texas fans there were treated with respect.

Wayne Watson

Brummett is correct.

Booing Texas over a long ago, one-sided rivalry is yet another sign of the Arkansas Inferiority Complex.

Shouldn't you be at www.dallascowboys.com     ;)
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

dacskc

I don't see anything wrong with booing Texas, I'm sure they expected it. The Hog call for Miami was a tad odd though, I'm sure they appreciated the support, it might have been better if we had made it about them and not us. I love calling the Hogs at events in which the Hogs are involved, always thought it was strange to do it randomly.

HOG RED UMP

March 25, 2008, 12:45:16 pm #18 Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 12:48:18 pm by HOG RED UMP
Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on March 25, 2008, 12:38:38 pm

He's really an oddball and probably could'nt get a date for the games when he was young or some other bad memory or jealousy from his youth.

He was the neighborhood kid who was ridiculed for his lack of athletic prowess, never allowed
to participate in the neighborhood sandlot football and baseball games, and subsequently loathes the athletes for their athletic skills and acclaim, again, much in the same manner as Wally.
"The best thing about umpiring is seeing the best in baseball every day. The cardinal rule of umpiring is to follow the ball wherever it goes. Well, if you watch the ball, you can't help seeing somebody make a great catch... That's what makes umpiring so much fun." - National League Umpire Shag Crawford

Wild Bill Hog

Wow, Brummett comes out of his fantasy world castle and criticizes Razorback fans and Faldon takes up for Texas - YAWN -  I'm - YAWN - shocked!   ;)

Bacon The Saddle Again

Brummett is correct.

Here is what the article says-

QuoteHere's the thing about this Arkansas obsession with Texas: Texas doesn't give a rip and never did.

First of all, that's kind of the reason we hate all Texas schools.  We were the only non-Texas team in the SWC so we did get the shaft, despite being the only real continual basketball power the conference had.  The Texas schools wanted to act as if we didn't exist.  Screw 'em. 

But I'm happy as hell that the Texas doesn't care about a rivalry that may or may not exist.  That's why we've beaten them in football three of the last four and that's why we'll be competitive against them even if we're severely outmanned. 

Hatred in sports doesn't have to make sense.  Who cares what other people think anyway?  People outside Arkansas and Texas don't care.  People in Arkansas hate Texas.  Texas folks may not like that we hate the 'Horns but it's not skin off our back because....we hate the 'Horns.

It's the same with Arkansas playing Arkansas State. People say it makes the UA look like cowards to everyone else.  How many talk shows in Mizzou are discussing a potential UA vs. stAte meeting?   Tennessee?  Texas?  Wisconsin?  The only people we're pissing off by booing the Longhorns are the Longhorns.

GOD BLESS THE BOOERS!

fdx flyer

Brummett is correct.

I agree also.  It's the same complex that causes people to think that every referee is out to get us and every sports network and publication are out to belittle us. 

Bacon The Saddle Again

How is hating a team an inferiority complex?  Even if it's one sided. Maybe one team just hates the other.  It's sports.  Boo Texas.

PorkCheops

What makes everyone think it has anything to do with the old rivalry or with "inferiority."  It's the nature of sport:  you pick a side--often for no logical reason--then cheer one on and express your opposition to the other.  If you don't, then what's the point?
"The problem is not only to win souls but to save minds. If you win the whole world and lose the mind of the world, you will soon discover that you have not won the world. Indeed it may turn out that you have actually lost the world."  Charles Malik

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 25, 2008, 01:06:02 pm
The Blank/Home Depot/ESPN conspiracy is the greatest manifestation of the Arkansas Inferiority Complex in the history of the state.

I think our state's attitude toward the North about Reconstruction still reigns king over that title.

HogasaurusRex

ChadasaurusRex: "When a columnist needs to get off his high horse and stick to writing about politics"

DeltaBoy

Brummett is correct.

Is I emailed John, I'll tell you neither of you are Correct and if you don't get the HATE for TEXA$$  you never will.  I have lived in TX for over 16 years nice place to live, good beef BBQ, pretty women. But I will cuss that burnt orange Cattle school till the day I die and my family buried me on the high ground at Shiloh.  I shall never cut any slack to the birth place of Cheat to Win.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Special Delivery Jones

Calling the Hogs though was about as pointless as teets on a boar.  Then again that is pretty much par for the course.  Who would have thunk that a group of Arkansas fans could get together when their team was not even in the building and yet still call the Hogs.  Now I really wouldn't know, but did all the other host areas do the same for their particular teams?

regi

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 25, 2008, 01:16:58 pm
Whenever a discussion comes up about the Dallas Cowboys, and somebody says they hate that NFL team, Dallas fans say it's because of jealousy. It's stated as fact, over and over again.

If that's true, then would those same people say Arkansas fans booed Texas they are jealous of the Longhorns?

90 and 95 in the Austin regional Arkansas was treated the same if not worse by Texas fans, we were also treated poorly in the 89 and 90 Cotton Bowls as a matter of fact. Are Longhorn fans jealous of Arkansas?

YepItsMe

If Texas never cared about the rivalry with us?  Then why did they treat us like crap when we were in Austin in 95?  what a DA

Doug

Arkansas was the bastard stepchild of the SWC, ergo, not very well respected by anyone.

Inferiority Complex?  Can't comment on that.  Underdog?  Perhaps.  Underestimated?  Mostly.

All I will say about this is Quid pro quo.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

WilsonHog

March 25, 2008, 01:47:23 pm #31 Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 01:52:40 pm by WilsonHog
I think that if Brummett lived in Alabama he would have the same views about the Tide and Auburn. I think he would feel the same about North Carolina and Duke, or Ohio State/Michigan.

Basically the notion of, "Why in the hell do grown people get so worked up over something as silly as a game?" 

Now, let me say this: I get as worked up as anyone. I get too worked up. My son is a student at UA, and he goes to all football games, a few basketball games, and to baseball games with me. I wouldn't say, however, that he is a "fan." Why? I suspect because he's seen me act a fool so many times that he's decided, "Hey, I see no reason to be that involved in anything that causes my father to be such an ass."   

cosmodrum

Message to Mr. Brummett:

This is what college sports is about. Tradition. Rivalry.

Now, I understand completely that Texas doesn't care about the rivalry like we do, and that we're not in the SWC anymore. Fine, I still boo Texas. I always have, and always will. That being said, I doubt anyone that booed has anything against the Texas kids. UT is an excellent school, and I for one wish those kids the best.

Geez, Mr. Brummett, you'd think beer bottles, tomatoes, and sacks of poop were thrown at the Texas folks while at Alltel. Relax, it's part of the fun of sports.

Side note:

To all those that say that we can't have a rivalry with Texass because we aren't in the same conference, I'd like to refer you to USC and Notre Dame. And, last time I checked, Los Angeles is nowhere near South Bend. Yes, there is MUCH more tradition in that rivalry than UT/UA. All I'm saying is that you can still have a rivalry with a team that isn't in your conference. Also, the hatred of Texas has nothing to do with an inferiority complex, it has to do with hating Texas because I was brought up that way.
Go away, batin'

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: not ray on March 25, 2008, 01:33:16 pm
Calling the Hogs though was about as pointless as teets on a boar.  Then again that is pretty much par for the course.  Who would have thunk that a group of Arkansas fans could get together when their team was not even in the building and yet still call the Hogs.  Now I really wouldn't know, but did all the other host areas do the same for their particular teams?

What is significant about other host areas and what they did or didn't do in those venues?  The people in attendance at Alltel paid their money, and they had the right to do whatever they wanted to.

wildcathog

I was always taught that it is a requirement to boo Texass anytime their team takes the field or court.

hogsanity

Quote from: cobra kai on March 25, 2008, 12:44:01 pm
Geez, lighten up a little.  Texas did the exact same thing in '95.  They booed our band, our cheerleaders, as well as the team -- just part of the whole college sports rivalry thing -- no need to take it so seriously and get upset about it.  I would expect the same treatment if I attended a game in Austin.  Besides, I was at the game.  Everything was done in fun and the Texas fans there were treated with respect.

So, to quote thousands of parents " If Johnny jumped off a cliff would you?".  Just because Texas fans acted like that, does it make it all right to do that to them?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

IronHog

Brummett is correct.

I see burnt orange...........I boo the man wearing it.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

cosmodrum

Quote from: hogsanity on March 25, 2008, 01:59:35 pm
So, to quote thousands of parents " If Johnny jumped off a cliff would you?".  Just because Texas fans acted like that, does it make it all right to do that to them?

Here's the only right answer:

Yes, because it is Texas.

Seriously, I don't see why multiple pairs of panties are getting so bunched up over this. I doubt the Texas kids even care one bit. Again, it's all in fun. Cussing out the kids, throwing crap at them, spitting on them, etc, is way over the line. That's when rivalries are taken to far.

Oh, and Barnes should've kept his mouth shut if he didn't want people booing, even if he was joking. What did he think the reaction would be?

Can't we ever have fun when it comes to Razorback sports? Do we have to take everything so damn seriously? Geez, some booing occurred when a long-time foe came to Alltel. Big frickin' deal.
Go away, batin'

hogsanity

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 25, 2008, 01:48:30 pm
. Also, the hatred of Texas has nothing to do with an inferiority complex, it has to do with hating Texas because I was brought up that way.

And you were brought up that way because the generation before you had an inferioroty complex when it came to Texas.

Arkansas, in general, has the worst red-headed stepchild syndrom of any state in the union.  To hear it told, everyone is out to get us.  In sports, it is ESPN, the SEC, the refs, the announcers, the guys at Raycom, the ncaa, and anyone else blame can be thrown at.

When will people understand, the "rivalry" with Texas died when we left the SWC.  Sure, it is fun to play them once in a while, but it is not the be all end all.  It also should not still be a driving force to our fans. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 25, 2008, 02:05:43 pm
Here's the only right answer:

Yes, because it is Texas.

Seriously, I don't see why multiple pairs of panties are getting so bunched up over this. I doubt the Texas kids even care one bit. Again, it's all in fun. Cussing out the kids, throwing crap at them, spitting on them, etc, is way over the line. That's when rivalries are taken to far.

Oh, and Barnes should've kept his mouth shut if he didn't want people booing, even if he was joking. What did he think the reaction would be?

Can't we ever have fun when it comes to Razorback sports? Do we have to take everything so damn seriously? Geez, some booing occurred when a long-time foe came to Alltel. Big frickin' deal.

So, if Texas fans act like 2 years olds, our fans should do that too?

cosmodrum

March 25, 2008, 02:14:42 pm #40 Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 02:21:58 pm by cosmodrum
Quote from: hogsanity on March 25, 2008, 02:08:35 pm
So, if Texas fans act like 2 years olds, our fans should do that too?

Jeezus.

Why is booing acting like two year olds? Can't adults have any fun? Only if it's majong, bridge, or shuffleboard, right? Everything else is too immature?

And when did I say Texas fans act like two year olds? Are we acting like two year olds when we boo opposing teams entering the stadium? It's part of the fun of sports.

Yes, I do realize Arkansas wasn't playing Texas, so perhaps it seemed a little ridiculous. But Coach Barnes asked for it, and far be it from the good Hog fans to not oblige.

Again, why are panties in knots over this?
Go away, batin'

hogsanity

March 25, 2008, 02:14:59 pm #41 Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 02:30:41 pm by hogsanity
Quote from: cosmodrum on March 25, 2008, 01:48:30 pm
Message to Mr. Brummett:

This is what college sports is about. Tradition. Rivalry.

Now, I understand completely that Texas doesn't care about the rivalry like we do, and that we're not in the SWC anymore. Fine, I still boo Texas. I always have, and always will. That being said, I doubt anyone that booed has anything against the Texas kids. UT is an excellent school, and I for one wish those kids the best.

Geez, Mr. Brummett, you'd think beer bottles, tomatoes, and sacks of poop were thrown at the Texas folks while at Alltel. Relax, it's part of the fun of sports.

Side note:

To all those that say that we can't have a rivalry with Texass because we aren't in the same conference, I'd like to refer you to USC and Notre Dame. And, last time I checked, Los Angeles is nowhere near South Bend. Yes, there is MUCH more tradition in that rivalry than UT/UA. All I'm saying is that you can still have a rivalry with a team that isn't in your conference. Also, the hatred of Texas has nothing to do with an inferiority complex, it has to do with hating Texas because I was brought up that way.

And why were you brought up that way?  Because Ar has the biggest red-headed stepchild syndrom in the world.  Bigger than actual redheaded stepchildren.  Everyone is out to get us.  In sports, ESPN, the refs, the sec, Texas, Raycom, CNNSI, the NCAA, the announcers, are all out to get us, according to our fans. 

hogsanity

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 25, 2008, 02:14:42 pm
Jeezus.

Why is booing acting like two year olds? Can't adults have any fun? Only if it's majong, bridge, or shuffleboard, right? Everything else is too immature?

And when did I say Texas fans act like two year olds? Are we acting like two year olds when we boo opposing teams enter the stadium? It's part of the fun of sports.

Yes, I do realize Arkansas wasn't playing Texas, so perhaps it seemed a little ridiculous. But Coach Barnes asked for it, and far be it from the good Hog fans to not oblige.

Again, why are panties in knots over this?

Yet again, hogfans have managed to live up to many of the sterotypes that exist about us.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogsanity on March 25, 2008, 02:14:59 pm
And why were you brought up that way?  Because Ar has the biggest red-headed stepshild syndrom in the world.  Bigger than actual redheaded stepshildren.  Everyone is out to get us.  In sports, ESPN, the refs, the sec, Texas, Raycom, CNNSI, the NCAA, the announcers, are all out to get us, according to our fans. 

That does seem to be part of our birthright.

IronHog

And why were you brought up that way?  Because Ar has the biggest red-headed stepshild syndrom in the world.  Bigger than actual redheaded stepshildren.  Everyone is out to get us.  In sports, ESPN, the refs, the sec, Texas, Raycom, CNNSI, the NCAA, the announcers, are all out to get us, according to our fans. 

Dang right.

Why did you think Nolan did so well here?  He understood, and used it to his advantage.

BP is going to be perfect.  He is going to have the ultimate us vs. the world mindset.

Screw Texas, Fire Billy Packer, War Hog! 
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Special Delivery Jones

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on March 25, 2008, 01:55:04 pm
What is significant about other host areas and what they did or didn't do in those venues?  The people in attendance at Alltel paid their money, and they had the right to do whatever they wanted to.

So true that they paid the money to do whatever they want.  Hey if that is what someone wants to do.  Go right ahead pay x amount of money for a ticket and call the Hogs like crazy as they get their brains beat in half a country away.  Fact is some people think it is silly.  Others don't.  Pretty much nothing more than a difference of opinion.  Not going to change mine any more than someone else is going to change theirs.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: BCShogs on March 25, 2008, 12:15:29 pm
Brummett should stick to politics.

Actually, I think he was pretty much on target with most of that.

hogsanity

Quote from: IronHog on March 25, 2008, 02:18:53 pm
Dang right.

Why did you think Nolan did so well here?  He understood, and used it to his advantage.

BP is going to be perfect.  He is going to have the ultimate us vs. the world mindset.

Screw Texas, Fire Billy Packer, War Hog! 

And I thought Nolan did so well because he recruited great players.  Little did i know that Day, Mayberry, Miller, Corlis, Beck, Thurman and the rest were motivated by everyone being out to get Arkansas.  And all this time I thought they were great players playing a style that no one else was using. 

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkPariah on March 25, 2008, 02:26:03 pm
Actually, I think he was pretty much on target with most of that.

Sure he was, which is why so many have had a such a defensive reaction.

DukeOfPork

Wow.  For those of you guys who like for your preacher to just "tell it like it is" and don't pull punches, you should love the quote above.

That is some unvarnished truth, right there.