Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice on a New Grill

Started by Calihog, August 12, 2008, 10:11:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Calihog

Hey Folks...
I just built a new deck and am looking to buy a new grill.  I don't have a gas line so I will have to use a tank, but I am looking for advice on who makes the best grills, which ones are reliable and affordable,  what bells and whistles are worth paying for, and what all you guys think in general on the subject.  I don't want to spend a thousand dollars but all prices in consideration. Any advice you could pass on would be much appreciated. :)

catdog12

charcoal.the cheaper the better

edmo

Get yourself a Weber one touch kettle!

the411

Buy a cheap gas grill, then get yourself a nice charcoal smoker.  You will be happy. 

bobbybouchet

Agreed, charcoal is better.  I have this fancy, huge, souped up gas grill with rotisserie and all that jazz.  It sits there collecting dust while I always use the good old weber kettle in the corner.

TUMBLEWEED

Holland - expensive but you CANNOT burn anything and the meat never dries out !

HogBusGuy

For grilling - Hasty Bake (made in Tulsa).

For smoking - Cookshack (made in Ponca City).

I highly endorse both of these.  Have some other grills/smokers, but these two are by far the best I've ever owned.

Boarcephus

Depends on how much you want to spend.  If coughing up around $800 is do-able, ain't but one way to go and that's the Big Green Egg.  Versitile enough to sear at 650 degrees or slow cook for 10 hours at 200 degrees and never have to refill with charcoal.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Calihog

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 20, 2008, 07:51:09 am
Depends on how much you want to spend.  If coughing up around $800 is do-able, ain't but one way to go and that's the Big Green Egg.  Versitile enough to sear at 650 degrees or slow cook for 10 hours at 200 degrees and never have to refill with charcoal.

Thats what everyone at work keeps telling me.  Thanks
and +1 to all of you who offered suggestions.

VirlBlack

rcopela

Big green egg is unbelievable.

SteveInArk

Big Green Egg is available locally and I would think a great buy (don't have one). There was a thread started in April 2008 on grills that has some info and history and all.  Maybe it will add to your facts for deciding.  Here is the thread, further down this page of Tailgate Central:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=214618.msg3350219#msg3350219

Also, here is a site for the "original" (to the best of my knowledge), but not a good option with FOB San Diego, and with the quality of the Egg around here.   ;)
http://www.kamado.com/

- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

hawgrunner

If you go with the gas get at a min 4 burner one. This make good for both the direct and indirect cooking.  I have both Gas and Charcoal, its all is on what your cooking. Gas for the every day stuff and move to the charcoal for special meals to get that real flavor! At least that's what I do.

Michael Porkleone

I bought a Weber Genesis E320 a little while ago and have never cooked on anything more consistent.  It will set you back a little bit but you won't have to buy another gas grill for many years. 

Also, I can get my grill to 700 in about 6 minutes. 

I also have a barrel smoker when I want to be a purist. 
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

DeltaBoy

Get a Weber Grill and a Brinkman Smoker and use Kingsford.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Michael Porkleone

As DB knows, I also have a coleman roadtrip that I use for tailgating or when portability is necessary.
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

BR

My BrinkMan I love with matching cooler!

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

hawgrunner

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Michael Porkleone on November 21, 2008, 10:06:29 am
As DB knows, I also have a coleman roadtrip that I use for tailgating or when portability is necessary.

I use the Road trip alot at home
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

shakedown

big green egg is the ONLY way to go, considering durability and charcoal burn its the cheapest grill you'll ever buy, i will last forever. make sure and get the plate setter to go with it, makes it an effective smoke. i got the extra large was around $1000.

HogBusGuy

HastyBake makes a great grill.  Best in my opinion.  They are having a buy one get the next one for 1/2 price the next few days.  If you have a buddy looking for a new grill, it would be a great time to pick one up.  They are great for grilling and smoking.

maniax22bolts20

Where did you buy the HastyBake ? That sounds like a good one. The Holland that a cousin and I shared years ago
would be very very hard to top though.

HogBusGuy

HastyBakes are made in Tulsa....just google Hastybake, they have a nice website.

hawgrunner

DeltaBoy

Yep when the tax refund comes in a New Weber is coming home.

PorkRyan

My wife bought me a big green egg.  I love it so far.  I'm still amazed at how it can maintain a temperature for such a long period of time.

shakedown

Quote from: PorkRyan on March 10, 2009, 01:34:24 pm
My wife bought me a big green egg.  I love it so far.  I'm still amazed at how it can maintain a temperature for such a long period of time.

i smoked a 18 lb brisket for our office thanksgiving this year, took 24 hours at 200, i put three pieces of green hickory and kept the vents the same the whole time (the top open and the draft door open about a 1/4 inch, maybe a little less) and never had to add charcoal or wood. last couple hours it wouldnt have hurt to add some wood but i didnt want to mess up my mojo... you'll love it. BTW mine is the XL, just in case anyone would questions my time and temps...

Boarcephus

March 10, 2009, 07:26:46 pm #27 Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 07:28:35 pm by Boarcephus
Quote from: PorkRyan on March 10, 2009, 01:34:24 pm

Definitely a learning curve involved with one.  Don't know if you do any steaks but if you do, a little advice......get you some leather gloves that run up to the elbows.  The first time you crack the lid and forget to "burp" it, you'll know why. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

shakedown

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 10, 2009, 07:26:46 pm
Definitely a learning curve involved with one.  Don't know if you do any steaks but if you do, a little advice......get you some leather gloves that run up to the elbows.  The first time you crack the lid and forget to "burp" it, you'll know why.

LOL, good suggestion, you'll lose arm hair up to your elbows!!! 
t

PorkRyan

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 10, 2009, 07:26:46 pm

My first venture was a couple of ribeyes.  Between the video and the stories on one of the forums about the consequences of not burping, I don't think I will ever forget

Michael Porkleone

I don't have to "burp" my Weber. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: PorkRyan on March 11, 2009, 11:12:53 am
My first venture was a couple of ribeyes.  Between the video and the stories on one of the forums about the consequences of not burping, I don't think I will ever forget

You fire that sucker up to 650-700 degrees, cook on each side for a couple minutes, then shut down both dampers and let it smoke for a couple more minutes and then open it back up, especially on a windy day, you'll be stunned how that thing will literally explode on you.

I've burned hair off up past my elbow but am lucky I've never been seriously burned.  Friend of mine burnt the hell out of one of his fingers that way.   Any more I just put my leather gloves I bought at Sportsman's Paradise, lean waaayyyy back and just crack it open.

DeltaBoy

Those EGGS sound Dangerous I'll stick with a Weber!

Michael Porkleone

If you are wanting to go propane Weber, I found a Genesis E-310 at home depot for $199 on clearance. 

DeltaBoy

I am going with Kingsford  on my weber .

SPAL

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: edmo on August 13, 2008, 08:53:43 am
Get yourself a Weber one touch kettle!

I agree. You can use it as a smoker as well.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

SearkHog

Anyone tried the Char Broil Red yet?  looks interesting.

Michael Porkleone

My toys:

When I want to be like Hank Hill:

and for the purist in me:

LTCHawg

Quote from: MBoar on May 07, 2009, 03:57:43 pm
I've got this gas and charcoal grill on my wish list...

There's an optional firebox attachment available for the charcoal side.

Wondering if any one has any review of this one? Has been on my wish list for a year!

wholehog

Quote from: SearkHog on May 07, 2009, 10:26:19 am
Anyone tried the Char Broil Red yet?  looks interesting.
I have been through two already.  First one broke after a few months.  The second one lasted about a month.  Luckily Lowes took both back and I am back cooking on a Weber.

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: wholehog on May 31, 2009, 11:12:39 am
I have been through two already.  First one broke after a few months.  The second one lasted about a month.  Luckily Lowes took both back and I am back cooking on a Weber.

You get what you pay for.

If someone is seeking a gas grill, Weber is the only way to go!

Jdub

Quote from: Michael Porkleone on May 31, 2009, 11:58:10 am
You get what you pay for.

If someone is seeking a gas grill, Weber is the only way to go!

What Mike said.  I got a Webber Summit Silver at Sears at the end of BBQ season for 200 bucks off.  It was also a floor model.  I figure it will last me till Im gone as long as I keep it maintained.  I can get it to 650 to 700 degrees for steak.

dddollars

Quote from: catdog12 on August 12, 2008, 04:24:51 pm
charcoal.the cheaper the better

This comes from the guy with the avatar of Fred Sanford!? Alrighty then..

PorkRyan

Quote from: MBoar on May 07, 2009, 03:57:43 pm
I've got this gas and charcoal grill on my wish list...

There's an optional firebox attachment available for the charcoal side.

I got one for father's day 2 years ago and already replaced it with a Big Green Egg.  It is a really cheap grill and it doesn't hold temperatures for squat while smoking.  I should have spent the money on the BGE in the first place but I tried to go cheap and it ended up costing me more money in the long run.

Boarcephus

Quote from: PorkRyan on June 21, 2009, 01:59:59 am
I got one for father's day 2 years ago and already replaced it with a Big Green Egg.  It is a really cheap grill and it doesn't hold temperatures for squat while smoking.  I should have spent the money on the BGE in the first place but I tried to go cheap and it ended up costing me more money in the long run.

Has a familiar ring to it as I did the same thing.  I just got tired of burning them out and replacing them.  The BGE is by far the best buy I've made in terms of cooking out.   If you can swallow the initial cost, 10-15 years down the road you'll be ahead and you won't find a better way to grill meat.  We're firing ours up today.

I was in Sam's the other day and noticed where they had the medium BGE for around $685 or something.  That sounds like a lot of money, and is, but I can't remember how many $150+ grills I've bought over the years but I know it is enough that I could have bought one BGE and been way ahead.

sainthog

Sam's in Fayetteville has the large BGE for 698.00. Bought one last week.

Melhog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 17, 2008, 09:42:14 am
I use the Road trip alot at home

Delta and Michael P...how do you like your Coleman Roadtrip??  I was looking at the LXE model, but read a Consumer Report review that said they didn't grill very well. They recommended the Weber Q200.  I wanted the Coleman for the wheeled cart/stand, etc. but don't want to waste my money if it sucks.  I bought a cheap tabletop model last yr for tailgating and it was absolutely terrible.  THe Weber has an optional stand but looks cheap and wobbly. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: Melhog on June 22, 2009, 03:36:15 pm
Delta and Michael P...how do you like your Coleman Roadtrip??  I was looking at the LXE model, but read a Consumer Report review that said they didn't grill very well. They recommended the Weber Q200.  I wanted the Coleman for the wheeled cart/stand, etc. but don't want to waste my money if it sucks.  I bought a cheap tabletop model last yr for tailgating and it was absolutely terrible.  THe Weber has an optional stand but looks cheap and wobbly. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Buy the LXE.

I am a Weber man on the home grill but you can't beat the Road Trip for convenience.  The grill gets extremely hot.  The collapsable stand/wheels work awesome (we use it about 10 times on the road every year).  We usually use 1-2 portable tanks of propane per event. 

You will not go wrong. 

DB will agree with me. 

Melhog

Quote from: Michael Porkleone on June 22, 2009, 07:43:10 pm
Buy the LXE.

I am a Weber man on the home grill but you can't beat the Road Trip for convenience.  The grill gets extremely hot.  The collapsable stand/wheels work awesome (we use it about 10 times on the road every year).  We usually use 1-2 portable tanks of propane per event. 

You will not go wrong. 

DB will agree with me. 

Thanks for the feedback MP.  I was all set to get the Road Trip LXE and then saw the CR report and started having second thoughts.  I have a Weber at home also, so am certainly comfortable getting one of those, but the stand that comes with the Q200 looks flimsy and cheap.  Thanks again.