Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Promise broken

Started by Hoggysoprano, June 01, 2005, 12:33:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggysoprano

Dowell Loggains who was promised a GA position from Houston Nutt, the same Dowell Loggains who carried a clip board and was a go for for Houston Nutt for four years was told that he did not have a position as a GA.  Dowell Loggains is not happy about this, it seems that when Herring came he brought a GA along with him which left Dowell out in the cold.  That's not good buisness folks, you can't blame Herring as he had nothing to do with the promises made by Houston Nutt. And before any of you try and say this is an anti Nutt post it is not, it's a fact that I am telling you now. 

Bomis Hawg

I agree, bad buisness.  Dowell will get a job and it'll be credit to whoever gave him the chance, which is not Nutt I guess.  But, no, this is not Anti-Nutt, but it will end up being one.  Just like the Mustain/Springdale posts ended up being Anti-Nutt.

I hope Dowell gets his career going so he can get his feet in the door.

Nutt_Hate_Me

This is just business.  If you are told you can get a guy of Herring's caliber, but you have to sacrifice a GA you do it.  Happens all the time in the real world.  I can't fault Nutt for this.  How would it look, well we had a chance to hire Reggie Herring, but I couldn't let the GA go.  I think Saban, Tubby, Spurrier, et al, would do the same thing.

The thing for Nutt to do know would be to help the littlest hog find a GA position at another school.  This is where his ability as a used car salesman comes in handy.
It's great to be home.

hogsanity

same thing will happen to someone if Nutt hires Malzahn, cause Gus has a couple of guys he will want to take care of too.  Only so many coaching spots to go a round.  I dont think this is anti-Nutt, just points out yet agian that college Fb is a business first.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Bomis Hawg

Quote from: Nutt_Hate_Me on June 01, 2005, 12:47:29 pm
This is just business. If you are told you can get a guy of Herring's caliber, but you have to sacrifice a GA you do it. Happens all the time in the real world. I can't fault Nutt for this. How would it look, well we had a chance to hire Reggie Herring, but I couldn't let the GA go. I think Saban, Tubby, Spurrier, et al, would do the same thing.

The thing for Nutt to do know would be to help the littlest hog find a GA position at another school. This is where his ability as a used car salesman comes in handy.

That would've fueled the fire...

SultanofSwine

I'd rather have Dowell and Herring.

SiriusHog™

yeah.. dowell sure has proven himself to be a huge asset in the coaching profession...err.. wait no he hasnt.. ah screw it, who cares, its dowell freaking loggains.. not vince lombardi

ReturnToDynasty?

This is a sad story.  Dowell seemed to be looking forward to coaching here at the U of A.  Do we know for sure that this is what happened?  Sad.

Nutt_Hate_Me

What's so sad about it.   The dude got to hang with the team for like 6 years, go to bowl games, beat Texas, he could use the fact that he was a hog to get a job outside of football, and will probably still land a GA position at another school which in the long run if he wants to stay in coaching will help him more than continuing on at the UofA because he can learn new systems, see how other coaches do it, and broaden his contact network.  To top it off he got an early life lesson on how the coaching profession works.  Welcome to the Real World Dowell we are glad to have you.
It's great to be home.

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: Nutt_Hate_Me on June 01, 2005, 01:38:57 pm
What's so sad about it. The dude got to hang with the team for like 6 years, go to bowl games, beat Texas, he could use the fact that he was a hog to get a job outside of football, and will probably still land a GA position at another school which in the long run if he wants to stay in coaching will help him more than continuing on at the UofA because he can learn new systems, see how other coaches do it, and broaden his contact network. To top it off he got an early life lesson on how the coaching profession works. Welcome to the Real World Dowell we are glad to have you.

Here what is sad about it say at your present job as french fry cook at McDonalds you had been promised you could go back and cook hamburgers for a 10cent an hour raise.  But, a new assistant manager was hired and he brought in his own hamburger cook leaving you still back at the french fry cooker. Since the promise was made it doesn't seem fair now does it?  I can tell you this, Dowell is none to happy with Nutt over this.  He got screwed, that is all there is to it.

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: ScottFaldon on June 01, 2005, 02:16:04 pm
Maybe Nutt didn't know that Loggains was really, really interested in a GA position. Kinda like how he didn't know Malzahn was interested in being a college coach.

Probably true. ;D

Hoggysoprano

The guy Herring has brought with him is outstanding. He doesn't care much for Allen, Ealy or Vaughn. In fact those guys have complained to Nutt that he has been "hurting their feelings, and disrespecting them" by calling their players slow and fatasses and so on.  Nutt, and I have to give him big Buck Ocean Kudos for this, just says Herring is in charge over there take it up with him.  That is outstanding!!! ;D

Nutt_Hate_Me

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on June 01, 2005, 02:05:28 pm
Here what is sad about it say at your present job as french fry cook at McDonalds you had been promised you could go back and cook hamburgers for a 10cent an hour raise. But, a new assistant manager was hired and he brought in his own hamburger cook leaving you still back at the french fry cooker. Since the promise was made it doesn't seem fair now does it? I can tell you this, Dowell is none to happy with Nutt over this. He got screwed, that is all there is to it.

Life isn't fair, and that has nothing to do with getting screwed.  Maybe the fry cook would realize that being a fry cook sucks and move on to something bigger or better, or maybe he would reailize working at McDonald's sucks, and move on to Burger King or Wendy's.

By the way, the statement "He Got Screwed" seems like a negative opinion about Nutt's action more than a statement of fact, so is using "Promise Broken" as the title of the thread.  Nothing wrong with Nutt bashing, but you promised to only be positive.  You have broken your promise.

Maybe you and Nutt should attend the Awakening, to learn how to be promise keepers.
It's great to be home.

Hoggysoprano

June 01, 2005, 02:33:21 pm #13 Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 02:43:20 pm by Hoggysoprano
Quote from: Nutt_Hate_Me on June 01, 2005, 02:29:51 pm
Quote from: Hoggysoprano on June 01, 2005, 02:05:28 pm
Here what is sad about it say at your present job as french fry cook at McDonalds you had been promised you could go back and cook hamburgers for a 10cent an hour raise. But, a new assistant manager was hired and he brought in his own hamburger cook leaving you still back at the french fry cooker. Since the promise was made it doesn't seem fair now does it? I can tell you this, Dowell is none to happy with Nutt over this. He got screwed, that is all there is to it.

Life isn't fair, and that has nothing to do with getting screwed. Maybe the fry cook would realize that being a fry cook sucks and move on to something bigger or better, or maybe he would reailize working at McDonald's sucks, and move on to Burger King or Wendy's.

By the way, the statement "He Got Screwed" seems like a negative opinion about Nutt's action more than a statement of fact, so is using "Promise Broken" as the title of the thread. Nothing wrong with Nutt bashing, but you promised to only be positive. You have broken your promise.

Maybe you and Nutt should attend the Awakening, to learn how to be promise keepers.

Maybe you should get your head on straight and call this exactly what it was. A promise broken, and Dowell feels like he was lied to.  He spent four years up there and now he has been left out. Not good.  Even though the kid Herring brought is very good.  Oh and what I do, it's really none of your buisness.  Oh and show me where I said I would never say anything about Nutt? 

Oh and here is what I said.  And Dowell did get screwed. 
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=20469.msg191519#msg191519

SultanofSwine

What would have been wrong with naming DL as a co-special teams coordinator? Atleast we would have had one person that atleast understood one aspect of special teams. Pay him a little salary and stand by your word.

What is amazing is how many people have commented that it is tough stuff for Dowell when apparently a grown man gave his word then crawfished and that is viewed as acceptable. If your word is no good then neither are you, period.

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: SultanofSwine on June 01, 2005, 02:35:46 pm
What would have been wrong with naming DL as a co-special teams coordinator? Atleast we would have had one person that atleast understood one aspect of special teams. Pay him a little salary and stand by your word.

What is amazing is how many people have commented that it is tough stuff for Dowell when apparently a grown man gave his word then crawfished and that is viewed as acceptable. If your word is no good then neither are you, period.
AGree 100%. 

Nutt_Hate_Me

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on June 01, 2005, 02:33:21 pm
Maybe you should get your head on straight and call this exactly what it was. A promise broken, and Dowell feels like he was lied to.  He spent four years up there and now he has been left out. Not good.  Even though the kid Herring brought is very good.  Oh and what I do, it's really none of your buisness. Oh and show me where I said I would never say anything about Nutt?

Just reporting the facts:  "While I still feel a change is in the air and it will be good for the U of A I will no longer be posting negative ideas about coach Nutt, not even about his brother or any of his assistants.  I may from time to time report something someone has told me or I have heard but that will be all."

You skirted your promise by peppering your reporting of the facts with negative comments. 

It may be a promise broken, and Nutt may be an SOB for breaking it.  But I'm just calling you on the same thing you called Nutt on Breaking a promise.  Nutt may have broken a promise to Dowell, but you broke a promise to the board, and that is freaking sacred man.

It's great to be home.

GorillaJMonsoon

June 01, 2005, 02:48:29 pm #17 Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 08:46:40 pm by GorillaJMonsoon

HornetHog

Quote from: Nutt_Hate_Me on June 01, 2005, 01:38:57 pm
What's so sad about it. The dude got to hang with the team for like 6 years, go to bowl games, beat Texas, he could use the fact that he was a hog to get a job outside of football, and will probably still land a GA position at another school which in the long run if he wants to stay in coaching will help him more than continuing on at the UofA because he can learn new systems, see how other coaches do it, and broaden his contact network. To top it off he got an early life lesson on how the coaching profession works. Welcome to the Real World Dowell we are glad to have you.

Hear hear!!!!

well spoken!!!!

lettered as a holder.....probably a superfine individual, however I agree, extreemly lucky to be a part of something that will assist him for the rest of his life.
Just as smart as all the other smartarses on here

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: Nutt_Hate_Me on June 01, 2005, 02:45:09 pm
Quote from: Hoggysoprano on June 01, 2005, 02:33:21 pm
Maybe you should get your head on straight and call this exactly what it was. A promise broken, and Dowell feels like he was lied to. He spent four years up there and now he has been left out. Not good. Even though the kid Herring brought is very good. Oh and what I do, it's really none of your buisness. Oh and show me where I said I would never say anything about Nutt?

Just reporting the facts: "While I still feel a change is in the air and it will be good for the U of A I will no longer be posting negative ideas about coach Nutt, not even about his brother or any of his assistants. I may from time to time report something someone has told me or I have heard but that will be all."

You skirted your promise by peppering your reporting of the facts with negative comments.

It may be a promise broken, and Nutt may be an SOB for breaking it. But I'm just calling you on the same thing you called Nutt on Breaking a promise. Nutt may have broken a promise to Dowell, but you broke a promise to the board, and that is freaking sacred man.

Whatever like I said when something comes up about Nutt, I will report it.  I've know about this situation for a little while.  And since I don't answer to you for anything your opinon on what I do matters nadda to me or this board.  In other words, frick off loser, there are frys for you to get done.

As far as Loggeins goes, he was left out in the cold.  The guy who repalced him is doing a very good job. But that doesn't matter, when you make a promise like Houston made to Dowell you find a way to make good on those promises. 

idochog

If HDN knew about this for a long time but didnt tell him until the last minute so their wasnt time to get a GA position elsewhere that would be real bad.

Furthermore HDN shoulda had JFB or someone help find him a place at another school.
I love Jesus!

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: GorillaJMonsoon on June 01, 2005, 02:48:29 pm
Soprano,

So are you Dowell Loggains spokesperson? Or just an "insider"? If Dowell is angry then maybe he should seek another outlet to address his grievances, since telling people about it on a message board doesn't really help much. On the other hand, if your only intent is to portray HDN in a bad light, then posting this is exactly what you would do. And the fact that you expressly stated that this was NOT your intention only makes me believe that it was. What do you know about the agreement? If there was one? I seriously question your purpose for posting this.

GJM

My reason for posting this is to so you and everyone else will know what happened to Dowell Loggeins. Or are you one of these rose colored glasses guys who only wants to hear the "good news".  Here's a news flash for you, as far as this football team , today, there is none.

razorbackdan

Don't worry about Dowell. I've been friends with him since he came to Fayetteville and I talked to him about a week ago. He told me that he got a job in Player Personel with the Cowboys and is going to move down there real soon.
As far as a GA job, Dowell could get that from several different schools and HDN would help him get one of those positions if Dowell needed it.

WilsonHog

Why should Dowell be treated any different after he completed his eligibility than Herb Grigsby was before he began his? 

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: Haight Ashbury on June 01, 2005, 02:58:51 pm
Don't worry about Dowell. I've been friends with him since he came to Fayetteville and I talked to him about a week ago. He told me that he got a job in Player Personel with the Cowboys and is going to move down there real soon.
As far as a GA job, Dowell could get that from several different schools and HDN would help him get one of those positions if Dowell needed it.

That's good to know.  I wish him well, even though he is with the Cowboys.  At least Jerry Jones can make up for the mistakes of Houston Nutt

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 01, 2005, 03:01:13 pm
Why should Dowell be treated any different after he completed his eligibility than Herb Grigsby was before he began his?

I like that Wilson, good one. Or you could subs Grisby for Reid McKinney or a few others.

Nutt_Hate_Me

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on June 01, 2005, 02:51:18 pm
And since I don't answer to you for anything your opinon on what I do matters nadda to me or this board. In other words, frick off loser, there are frys for you to get done.

I'm sure this Mirrors HDN's opinion of you.

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on June 01, 2005, 02:53:38 pm
Or are you one of these rose colored glasses guys who only wants to hear the "good news". Here's a news flash for you, as far as this football team , today, there is none.

More Negativity about the Football Team.  All I'm saying is that didn't you say you would no longer post anything negative about the football team, and HDN.  I bash Houston all the time, but I didn't post that as a loyal hog fan I would no longer post anything negative about HDN or the hogs.  You did.  What is ironic Is that you are bashing Nutt for breaking a promise, which is exactly what your are doing.
It's great to be home.

Hoggysoprano

June 01, 2005, 03:09:18 pm #27 Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 03:13:32 pm by Hoggysoprano
Quote from: Nutt_Hate_Me on June 01, 2005, 03:06:08 pm
Quote from: Hoggysoprano on June 01, 2005, 02:51:18 pm
And since I don't answer to you for anything your opinon on what I do matters nadda to me or this board. In other words, frick off loser, there are frys for you to get done.

I'm sure this Mirrors HDN's opinion of you.

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on June 01, 2005, 02:53:38 pm
Or are you one of these rose colored glasses guys who only wants to hear the "good news". Here's a news flash for you, as far as this football team , today, there is none.

More Negativity about the Football Team. All I'm saying is that didn't you say you would no longer post anything negative about the football team, and HDN. I bash Houston all the time, but I didn't post that as a loyal hog fan I would no longer post anything negative about HDN or the hogs. You did. What is ironic Is that you are bashing Nutt for breaking a promise, which is exactly what your are doing.

I didn't say that, you need to learn to read.  And like I said, and don't seem to understand, is what I do is really none of your buisness.  What I said was I would not be posting negative ideas about Nutt, this is not an idea, it's a fact and it happened. In the past I had looked for ways to take jabs at Nutt, I am not doing so anylonger.  I hope Nutt is able to turn the program around and do well, but what he did to Loggeins was wrong and he lied to the kid.  I don't care if you think "that's buisness" or what you think aobut it, you have to call it what it was.  A lie.

junkyardhog

Interesting soprano, sounds like you are having some cognitive dissonance..............

[attachment deleted by admin]

HogFanLR

Ok I have just got to way in on this.

Reality check.  No job is a job until you are hired.  Circumstances always change.  hang around in life enough and it will either happen to you or you will do it to someone else.  As for Coach, It is not a lie if he meant it at the time.  (this is not word games) sometimes the job is just not there.  If you don't understand what I just said you will after some years in the workforce. 

Sorry for the guy but I am willing to bet if he makes coaching his career this is a well learned lesson.  It will probably happen again.  Don't take this as not having sympathy for the guy but sympathy and business don't run in the same circles and where this type of money is involved....Its all business.

And yes it has happened to me and unforatunately I did it to someone else.

hogtusk

Dowell should know that this is the way it works in the coaching profession, and I bet he also knows not to burn any bridges. Coaching jobs are gotten by networking ( who you know that you haven't made mad).
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Hacker

Dowell should venture to Oaklawn in Hot Springs.  Ever since Pat Day left, there has not been a dominant jockey since.

rricha

He should not be left out in  the  cold.  Does the Ncaa state how may graduate assisstants a school can have.  if not Houston can make a slot for him as he promised and move on.  If he can' make one a part time assistand or a student assistant.  It can be worked out if houston really wanted him.

SiriusHog™

whats so funny is that people are only worrying about dowell loggains for some reason.. i dont see anyone being concerned with what stephen harris, elliott harris, or arrion dixon are doing after college.. and they actually contributed to success on the field..welcome to the real world dowell... i know he'll find somewhere to go.. so i cant say that i feel sorry for him or that HDN is a horrible person for doing what he did.. we all know that you gotta do what you gotta do, even if you dont want to do it sometimes..

Kevin

it is amazing how polar people are with hdn. 

i think it is bad if he told the guy he had a job, then because of circumstances he could not give it to him.  the question in my mind did he turn around and help him try to get another job.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

PerryHog

First, I'll take Herring' boy over houston's any day.
2nd, Dowell is no longer houston's boy. Probably the best thing for Dowell.
Good job.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Kevin on June 01, 2005, 05:47:14 pm
it is amazing how polar people are with hdn.

i think it is bad if he told the guy he had a job, then because of circumstances he could not give it to him. the question in my mind did he turn around and help him try to get another job.

You nailed it; it all depends on how it was handled.  If, after Herring was hired, HDN called Dowell in and explained that Herring was bringing a GA with him and that he and JFB would help Dowell get a GA's position at one of Dowell's short list of schools, then I see nothing wrong with it. 

tophawg19

the problem is dowell has a great offensive mind . both M.J & R.J gave him credit for helping them to understand parts of the offense that they struggled with . this guy really understood the play book and play calling . we have coaches who probably have less grasp of the plays than dowell did but he would have been out of luck next year anyway . dowell will be a good qb/oc coach some day .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

xkyrie

Have any of you seen the movie "Big Trouble?" It stars Tim Allan, and the plot involves a stolen bomb in Florida.
Dennis Ferina is constantly flabbergasted by the radio guy and the caller who are arguing about the Gators. It goes back and forth and the caller is beseeching the radio guy about ">>>you said no one had the guts to call in, well, I'm calling>>>" It goes on and on. That is exactly the karma I was reliving reading some of the posts on this thread.

Dennis Ferina would've pulled someone's liver out on this one and make some bbq out of it.

CorningHog

I have to say that we all do not know the facts but it is a litle funny to call Nutt out on things like this.  Truth be told, we need Coach Nutt to make sure all his decisions are clearly about the benefit for all his players, coaches and ultimately the football program that belongs to all the fans and supporters of Razorback football...i.e...ticket holders, donors and all fans who love the football team and the Hogs.

Coach Nutt needs to only realize that every member of the team and coaching staff are always under evaluation and if someone comes along that is better and more qualified I find it hard to believe that a coach or an employer is going to always stick to an agreement that was stricken long before other things happen.  If Herring coming and bringing a GA effects Dowell's position, it is unfortunate for Dowell but beneficial for the whole program in the long run.  We may see the "friendships" begin to fall if the coaching attitude and ability is lesser and better coaches are available in the future.  I doubt these guys that have been with HDN for years will be able to complain if the truth is they are a cause of no improvement in their area.

It seems from here and of course I am only speculating based on everyones comments, that Herring will not accept mediocre efforts from players or coaches and if in the end he spots certain assistants that are not living up to their potential, it is alright by me!

Last year and even at times the year before, there have been several games where the players tended to "loaf" thru on tackling and even on the offensive side.

I hope the whole team and coaching staff come into responsibility and accountability and they forget who gets the accolades but who works harder and improves so that come this fall they leave everything on the field and give the kind of effort that all the fans can be proud of.  Getting beat by superior talent while pushing your own talent to the limit with effort and heart is not anything to be ashamed of.

But seeing players be lackadaisacal and without any pride in the tackling or blocking or whatever.... that is embarassing!

Here is to hoping HDN and Herring and all the coaches put their best efforts and so do the players this summer so that we see real Razorbacks next season and put a great team on the field.  There are some young talented players coming and many off of redshirt that should add to those who were exciting to watch last year!

GO HOGS!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to Dowell for getting the chance to work with an NFL team and I am sure he will be successful in whatever he does!

"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

tophawg19

my concern here is ethics should not change based on need if you make a promise keep it or at least make arrangements to right the situation if you can't keep it . integrity should be a policy not based on conditions or needs .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Cornhogio

Quote from: tophawg19 on June 03, 2005, 05:06:54 pm
my concern here is ethics should not change based on need if you make a promise keep it or at least make arrangements to right the situation if you can't keep it . integrity should be a policy not based on conditions or needs .

I agree.  Did I understand that Herring made bringing this guy a deal-breaker?  If that's the case, and Houston caved, Herring's already got him punked.
Society is responsible for the night that it produces.

Kid Duroc

You people defending Nutt for this are pathetic. That's all.

snoutface

Actually, I heard it was Gus M and Mitch M's idea to send Dowell packing.  It came to me from MM's mom's 3rd cousin's ex-husband's secretary's daughter's parakeet.
Sometimes it's better for me to be quiet and let everybody believe I'm dumb as dirt, than to speak up and prove it.