Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

About the Utah State game

Started by mikeirwin, September 10, 2006, 04:39:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeirwin

September 10, 2006, 04:39:40 am Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 04:45:36 am by mikeirwin
I haven't been on the board because I've been on the phone for about six hours trying to make some sense of what I saw Saturday night. As I've said before I have no agenda. I talk to people I trust.
I report what they say. I also report what the players and coaches say after the game.
Mitch: He seemed fine with the limited nature of the offense. He explained that the coaches (Gus and Alex) were trying to protect him in his first start. He made some mistakes but he had no turnovers.
He understands that this is a starting point and not the end game.
He also understands what a disaster it would have been to go out and throw three picks.
Mitch said there are new components to the offense that they have worked on but were not comfortable using this week. He said the fans will see the offense open up more next week and even more as the season progresses.
For those of you who have speculated Mitch was not pissed at HDN last night.
Gus: He called the plays. From everything I've been told he is on board with the idea that phasing in his offense is the best approach.
They have receivers still learning the offense. They have a QB who's trying to make things happen without making rookie mistakes. Gus knows they have to be more conservative at the moment.
So if you're thnking Gus was held hostage I'm told he was not and I have some solid sources on this.
Now here's my take. I agree with what I have been told except for one thing. This hybrid offense is the most odd ball thing I've seen in a long time. Even though Gus is calling the plays it looks like two different offenses called by two different people.
There doesn't seem to be any flow to it.
They will have to improve a lot to win this week.
About the defense:
I'm not sure I've ever seen a team get pushed around that much and not give up a point. The score did not reflect the way Arkansas defense played. They gave up too many yards and they let Utah St. hold the ball too much.
Reggie said it was hard to get his guys back up after the USC loss.
They had been getting ready for that game for the last 8 months.
He said he didn't use his normal in your face style of coaching as much this week because he sensed the players needed some time to get their heads cleared.
My guess is he'll be back to yelling and cussing this week.
In summary:
I don't think there was any secret meeting to fire Houston.
I don't think Gus has been hijacked.
Mitch is not foaming at the mouth over his limited passing stats.
Face it, with Gus they're running an offense that about 90% of the offensive starters are still adjusting to.
The thing to watch for is if they begin to run more of Gus offense as the season progresses. Mitch says they will. I'll take his word for it.
I'm always suspicious but I always go where the facts lead me.
The situation is unsettling to say the least. They have a talent problem and they're trying to learn an offense that is not running consistantly on all 8 cylinders.
Mitch and the rest of the offensive starters are going to be sorely tested over the next month.
Gus is supposedly working 18 hour days and not getting much sleep. The people close to him say he is at this best when his back is to the wall.
We will see.
I would like to see the hybrid taken out of Arkansas offense.
That won't happen soon but if Mitch settles in over the next three or four weeks what some of us know as Gus' style will likely become more obvious than it was last night.

MrCouch

Thanks for the report Mike.. We appreciate it.. I agree with You, we'll have to play a near perfect game, and our Defense to Me played far better against USC than they did tonight against Utah State, even though we didn't allow them to score.

Can I ask an honest question though.. Why are we putting Subs in up 20-0.. When we haven't really held all night. I realize that the 2nd Team Defense was in for about 90% of the 2nd half.. But You won't see Texas, Ohio State, Florida, or any major top program pull their starters until it's about 45-0.. Why is HDN doing this? He's done it his entire career, and almost cost the Hogs some close Games in Fayetteville against opponets that aren't in our league.

I just really don't understand putting the subs in when the Starters still aren't executing.. Let them play, let them work out the kinks, hell injuries are part of Football.. You can't predict them and they do happen.. But you have to move on. You can't play scared and win games in the SEC!

RevBroHogg

Thanks Mike. I hope they get some things worked out in a hurry. What will another loss to Vandy do to the program?

MrCouch

Another Loss... You act as if we have a chance to win at Vandy.. There is NO WAY with the way that we are playing right now.. Vandy will hang 30 on our Defense, and Slam our Offense into a brick wall running HDN's style. I agree with Mike, lots of things have to change, be worked out, and happen fast.. But I feel we're going to be 1-2 going into the Alabama game.. And of course, they beat Vandy.

RevBroHogg

I guess I didn't state my question in the accpeted manner. Let me try again. What is a loss to Vandy next week going to do to the program?

MCPeePants

September 10, 2006, 05:15:44 am #5 Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 05:17:28 am by MCPeePants
Mike, thanks for taking the time to write this at 4:30 in the morning when I know you've got to be exhausted...

I'm still pretty upset with what went on last night but your report does make me feel somewhat better about the state of things. Your statement that "the situation is unsettling to say the least" is dead on accurate.

I totally agree with your take about the "hybrid" offense - that ain't gonna fly. Yes, we need to be able to establish the run, run the ball effectively, and have a balanced offense but it all needs to be done from the Gus offense's sets/formations and not the I-formation. If Nutt and Co. truly believe in Gus's system and are truly sincere in giving him free reign over the offense like Nutt has insisted he would, then McFadden and Jones are simply going to have to get used to running without a fullback and/or a true blocking TE. If we're truly committed to this offense, I can't really envision a better time to get the RBs valuable game-experience and carries in the new offense than in games against weeklings like the team we played last night. Yet it didn't happen - we reverted to "establishing the power ground game" via the old offense schemes and I don't understand why - and that bothers me.

I also agree with you about the defense. The defense was nothing special tonight regardless of the fact that Utah State's Mickey Mouse excuse for an offense was unable to score.       

MrCouch

Here's the other question.. If we are say... Lose to Vandy, and Alabama.. And we sit 1-3 going into our off week.. Then we return to face... Auburn, Missouri State, Ole Miss, Louisiana Monroe, South Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi State, and LSU without a break..

We can probably beat Missouri State and Louisiana Monroe at home, and maybe Ole Miss and State.. And that's a Maybe right now as State is on the road.

If we lose to Auburn, Beat Missouri State, Ole Miss, and Louisiana Monroe.. We'll be 4-4 going into the South Carolina game.. And HDN will be preaching.. I told everyone we're going to come around after beating 3 sub par opponets.. Then we get spanked by South Carolina.. Destroyed by Tennessee, and we pull an upset on the road at Miss State.. Which puts us at a nice 5-6 figure going into the LSU game.. That's how I see our season as of right now..

Anyone else see a brighter future?

SPAL

thanks mike...for this and for all you do .

MCPeePants

Quote from: MrCouch on September 10, 2006, 04:48:05 am
Can I ask an honest question though.. Why are we putting Subs in up 20-0.. When we haven't really held all night. I realize that the 2nd Team Defense was in for about 90% of the 2nd half.. But You won't see Texas, Ohio State, Florida, or any major top program pull their starters until it's about 45-0.. Why is HDN doing this? He's done it his entire career, and almost cost the Hogs some close Games in Fayetteville against opponets that aren't in our league.

I know that we did pretty much have the 1st team defense in on Utah State's last possession when we were trying to preserve the shutout.

Some of those "subs" in the second half were actually the 5th and 6th DBs who I guess are technically starters in the dime package. We ran the dime a *lot* in the 2nd half with 6 DBs out there and just 1 LB - presumably because we were ahead and expected them to be mainly passing and/or because Fairchild got hurt and couldn't return and we already don't have enough linebackers anyway. I think Norton and Love may have gotten the most time in those positions but I assume they're still trying to figure out which guys will be the primary nickel and dime DBs so that may be why there was quite a bit of rotation in those positions last night.

The rotation among the DLs didn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary to me and I think the coaches understandably want to see what they've got in Wade and E.Mitchell, so they got a pretty good amount of playing time in the 2nd half. And anyone on the roster listed as "linebacker" is basically going to expect to see some action at this point.

MrCouch

I know you want to get Casey Dick some reps, that's understandable, he's a great player.. But my point is wouldn't you want to get everything ironed out in the First Team Offense against a team like Utah State before heading into the SEC Schedule? It's just horrible preperation and lack of a thought process on the Hill.

Dugann

Thanks for the update, hope what ever the issues is/are that they will get them fixed and I mean like soon.  If they are slowly working things <new offensive> in that would make sense and very understandable along with your statements about breaking in a freshman QB slowly also.   I don't want to sound very negative with this but, they better get their S..T together and ducks in a row sooner rather then later what ever it is they are trying to do or some one <vandy><bama><old miss><miss st> is going kick'em in the nutts. HARD!  I know the staff can't go around putting out fires or address every rumor that is out there (that's why they got Chuck I mean), but I am sure that they have to be aware of the grumbling and well stuff flying around out there in hogland. They need to address it. I know some might think well just let it go it will go away, blow over, or just spin it. However I feel  that it needs to be addressed publicly to put a end to the drama. Don't let it fester.  That last part is just how I see it but anyway thanks for the update, hard work, and keeping us in the loop on all this.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

Boarcephus

Quote from: MrCouch on September 10, 2006, 05:40:54 am
I know you want to get Casey Dick some reps, that's understandable, he's a great player.. But my point is wouldn't you want to get everything ironed out in the First Team Offense against a team like Utah State before heading into the SEC Schedule? It's just horrible preperation and lack of a thought process on the Hill.

Not sure if he's a great player or not but he's definitely one of our better players and he does need some live snaps. 

I feel better after reading what Mike just posted but I have to wonder why is it taking so long to install this offense?   We had spring practice, fall practices and now a couple games and one gets the feeling we're still basically at square one.

Based on last nights game, a 9-3, 8-4 season is a pipe dream.  With our start, several games lot's of folks had penciled in as wins are now questionable to say the least.  After Vandy's performance at Bama, how many are picking us to win that game in Nashville?
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hogalumni1974

Hey Mike

The Offense  Grade B-  Vanilla approach but good yardage. Needs to execute in redzone

I for one, am glad you confirmed what my feelings were about this Offense. No doubt, Mitch is the Man and I beleive what he told you. I believe phasing in the offense is a great approach also. I do believe we have talent up there we just need to shape it. Something Houston has an obvious problem doing. I have watched more talented players go through hdns system and digress..now is the time for this to stop!!
Kudos to: Darren Mcfadden, Who is a pure STUD. WOW..what a Football player! Felix Jones looked super and carried the ball with more caution.  Mitch Mustain and Damien Williams are showing bright promise as expected. Peyton Hillis is faster and needs to be even more involved in the game plan. So there are definite Bright spots. Jockstraps to:  The offensive Line (Pass Blocking) is pathetic..whats up with that? This is supposed to be a strength?  Are they too soft?  , Marcus Monk~ seems to be pressing and not making catches we are accustomed to seeing him make in the past.  Gus Malzahn is a class act and he will implement his system and perfect it. What we dont need is a two headed coordinator...In other words...BUD OUT HDN

The Defense Grade A-    Anytime you shut someone out its hard to give less than an A

I do understand why one would be dissapointed with the defense, effort wise, but I simply cant agree that they were "pushed" around. When a team nets 255 yards, I would hardly call that Pushed around. Granted they did make some first downs in situations you would expect to hold. In observation more or less I feel it was a "letdown" and thank goodness. I remember in times past when HDN would have our guys thinking Middle Tennessee state was # 1 in the nation and we would be high as a kite to play. I think its a pretty normal thing, playing down, or being flat.  Give Reggie a Break on this One. Secondary played well..except for a few plays late..

In closing wold you answer these two questions and maybe even ask Houston too..

#1  Why would you go for it last year on your own 26 against South Carolina and NOT go for it against an inferior Utah State teams 39 early in the 2nd half?  Was he honestly scared that they would steal the momentum and ppossibly win the game?

#2 Why in the world did they yank Mitch in hte 3rd at the 5 minute mark? Was this caseys "token" series? I mean come on

#3 When are they going to field tryouts for placekicker?

Since 1894

I hope you are right, I am hanging on by a thread.
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

AltaHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 10, 2006, 06:30:11 am
Quote from: MrCouch on September 10, 2006, 05:40:54 am

Not sure if he's a great player or not but he's definitely one of our better players and he does need some live snaps. 

I feel better after reading what Mike just posted but I have to wonder why is it taking so long to install this offense?   We had spring practice, fall practices and now a couple games and one gets the feeling we're still basically at square one.

Based on last nights game, a 9-3, 8-4 season is a pipe dream.  With our start, several games lot's of folks had penciled in as wins are now questionable to say the least.  After Vandy's performance at Bama, how many are picking us to win that game in Nashville?

Obviously we need to get Mitch as much work as we can. But, Casey is one injury away from being "First Team Offense"  It was good to see that we have 2 QB's that can throw the ball down the field.

bigyellowdog

Random Parsley

Quote from: mikeirwin on September 10, 2006, 04:39:40 am
Now here's my take. I agree with what I have been told except for one thing. This hybrid offense is the most odd ball thing I've seen in a long time.

Absolutely.  The first part of your post gives me some hope that we're not witnessing a total program meltdown, but they need to start making it look like we're trying to implement Gus' offense for more than one drive a game.

About the defense:
I'm not sure I've ever seen a team get pushed around that much and not give up a point.

Amen.  That's the first thing that crossed my mind after the game.  We'd better improve light years here or we're going to be eaten alive in conference.  No matter anything else, our depth makes this an iffy thing.

For the most part I think the things I said in the thread below remain in play, although my hopes for a really good season are much lower after last night, even if execution is the only problem.  What you say makes me think that Option 2 is still in play.  What I heard (listened on radio) and what I read from people who saw it makes me suspect we're following Option 1 to hell.  Time will tell.  I'll make my mind up after the Bama game.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php/topic,73803.msg981842.html

LA HAWG

dana caldwell

crazy stuff. those are just about the exact things i would expect them to be spreading from the hill.

so for eight months, they tried to do what was presented against USC then they almost entirely scrap high-tempo to beat some horrible pushover in preparation for the sec?

and of course the defense is clearly horrible. that unit had not only a full week to prepare but a second half of the USC to ponder what could be done better and, one would think, to become determined to go out the next week full-boar.

this thing is just nuts. or nutt's.

idochog

Is there any hope that HDN has been told this is his last year and he gets to coach it how he wants?
I love Jesus!

Rzrbckr

Theolesnort

Although I don't like it, Malzahn is the key. If he is OK with the way we are going I am going to shut my mouth and go along for the ride with him. This is not the type offense that Mitch is the best at but Mitch is good enough to adjust and make it go eventually. I just don't like to see him on the move when he throws the ball. That is not his forte. I hope I can convince myself I believe what I just wrote. Sheese.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

hogalumni1974

Dana What would have Made you Happy?  79-0 and a Total offense of 33 yards for Utah State?

The Defense is Clearly Horrible? ...   Sorry I dont see that

What was so terrible about the defense? Besides they didnt play with alot of Fire?  I mean come on...Its Utah State..What do you expect?  I for one am glad we didnt get overly excited about beating their heads in the ground...that never proves anything.  We stopped them when we needed and 255 Yards of  total offense is a Meager result. a bug chunk of that coming on the last series of the game...  Whats clearly Terrible is HDN is pulling strings with the offense..now thats "clearly Terrible"   

Oh yeah...

Mcfadden is A Stud!

eldohoggirl

I've always been a reader, never a writer....but:
#1 they will NOT fire HDN this season. Period, so quit saying it. It's a waste of time. Should he be fired? Probably so.

#2 I don't think Gus had full control...Hence putting Casey in....Typical HDN "sympathy" or whatever you want to call it.

#3 I am still a fan, I will still go to the games...I will still yell for the team...

#4 When we are pathetic...everyone jumps on the darkside bus...when we are good....everyone chimes in....Be positive about Gus' intentions...and pray that HDN sees the writing on the wall...

I do believe that HDN is worried about his job...so I only hope he lets go of the reins...
Thanks for letting me post..
Hog Fan Til' they pry my red wig from my cold dead hands!

Since 1894

Quote from: Theolesnort on September 10, 2006, 07:55:56 am
Although I don't like it, Malzahn is the key. If he is OK with the way we are going I am going to shut my mouth and go along for the ride with him. This is not the type offense that Mitch is the best at but Mitch is good enough to adjust and make it go eventually. I just don't like to see him on the move when he throws the ball. That is not his forte. I hope I can convince myself I believe what I just wrote. Sheese.

If you do convince yourself, give me a call and convince me!!
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

JJHog

I haven't been on the board because I've been on the phone for about six hours trying to make some sense of what I saw Saturday night. As I've said before I have no agenda. I talk to people I trust.
I report what they say. I also report what the players and coaches say after the game.
Mitch: He seemed fine with the limited nature of the offense. He explained that the coaches (Gus and Alex) were trying to protect him in his first start. He made some mistakes but he had no turnovers.
He also understands what a disaster it would have been to go out and throw three picks.
Mitch said there are new components to the offense that they have worked on but were not comfortable using this week. He said the fans will see the offense open up more next week and even more as the season progresses.
Gus: He called the plays. From everything I've been told he is on board with the idea that phasing in his offense is the best approach.
They have receivers still learning the offense. They have a QB who's trying to make things happen without making rookie mistakes. Gus knows they have to be more conservative at the moment.
So if you're thnking Gus was held hostage I'm told he was not and I have some solid sources on this.
Now here's my take. I agree with what I have been told except for one thing. This hybrid offense is the most odd ball thing I've seen in a long time. Even though Gus is calling the plays it looks like two different offenses called by two different people.
About the defense:
I'm not sure I've ever seen a team get pushed around that much and not give up a point. The score did not reflect the way Arkansas defense played. They gave up too many yards and they let Utah St. hold the ball too much.
He said he didn't use his normal in your face style of coaching as much this week because he sensed the players needed some time to get their heads cleared.
In summary:
Face it, with Gus they're running an offense that about 90% of the offensive starters are still adjusting to.
The thing to watch for is if they begin to run more of Gus offense as the season progresses. Mitch says they will. I'll take his word for it.
The situation is unsettling to say the least. They have a talent problem and they're trying to learn an offense that is not running consistantly on all 8 cylinders.
Mitch and the rest of the offensive starters are going to be sorely tested over the next month.
Gus is supposedly working 18 hour days and not getting much sleep. The people close to him say he is at this best when his back is to the wall.
We will see.
That won't happen soon but if Mitch settles in over the next three or four weeks what some of us know as Gus' style will likely become more obvious than it was last night.

Most of our success came out of the no huddle,which MM is familiar with.  Mitch is struggling with the I and rolling out.
" Think Right, Do Right"

Cajun Hog

Quote from: JJHog on September 10, 2006, 08:37:25 am
About the defense:
In summary:
We will see.

Most of our success came out of the no huddle,which MM is familiar with.  Mitch is struggling with the I and rolling out.
About the defense:
In summary:
We will see.

Your right MM is stuggling in the I and he has to get it down for the redzone in the SEC.

Stamford Hog

September 10, 2006, 08:50:44 am #27 Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 09:07:18 am by Stamford Hog

Thanks Mike.  While I agree with the concept in general, the only thing that doesn't make sense is that this was a glorafied scrimmage.  After running Gus' offense against a premier team like USC, we totally scrap it against Utah St.  I can understand running this hybrid approach against a USC or even in the early SEC games.  But this would have been the perfect time to practice Gus' offense in a game setting. 

Watching the USC game, I had no problem with the pick that Mitch threw, because I knew for every freshman mistake he makes, he is also capable of making many more plays like he did in the previous drive.  It seems that HDN was able to "dumb down" Mitch's abilities into a typical qb in the HDN offense.  Basically, ten completions on 20 attemts for 125 yards in passing - same thing he have seen from Robby Hampton, Zac Clark, Jared McBride, Matt Jones, Ryan Sorahan, Robert Johnson, etc.  I haven't read the papers today, but I'm petrified that I will read that Mitch was a good "handeroffer".

TuckFexas

To me, it looked like Houston was calling the plays until the 2 minute drill. I wasn't impressed with the shutout either. I thought our defensive line was supposed to be awesome. I didn't see them in the backfield much. Although, Marcus Harrison is a freakin' stud. It seemed like to me it was Darren McFadden and M. Harrison vs. Utah State last night. It looks like this might be a long season. My high hopes for this team are fading each week.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

benswinesmoney

About the defense:
In summary:
We will see.

If Mitch is going to be an NFL qb though, he's going to have to learn to play without wide open spreads all the time. 

HedgeDweller

Thank you Mike for providing a voice of reason, or at least a indication of what is really happening up there.
People over react so quickly, it looked like an attempted coup of a banana republic on here last night.
This change in offensive techniques will take a few games to get settled in, you can't expect it to be clicking right away.  It will come.
Seems people that are upset by only scoring 20 on them forget that there were 14 more we should have had - McFadden fumbling at the 1, and Dick missing an all alone Hillis in the end zone.
34-0 would probably have kept things somewhat calmer on here....

PigPusher

You may very well be right on point Mike and you should be, but this still has a really bad smell. With all the experience we have and talent looking as bad as we did Saturday should be hard to do.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

OKhogfan1959

Thanks Mike. This is a shamefull time in Hog football. We don't have a general running the program we have a private and he doesn't have a clue as to what it takes to win in the SEC. I hope we win at Vandy..It's a huge game and the season will likely hinge on that game. I don't have a feeling that we are better than Vandy and that my friends, makes me sick at my stomach! Turn it loose Gus!!

cubbie

We might have a talent problem at reciver, but you are telling me that a bunch of D-1 recivers cant run what a bunch of high school recivers ran?
If you were a Hotdog would you eat yourself? I know I would.

excoach

I had the glasses on all night at the sidelines. It was more entertaining than the game. Yes Gus was calling in the plays, I dint know how with Nutt in his back pocket. The mafia was in the Huddle on the sidelines, it was a joke. looked like 6 people trying to coach and call plays. Never have I seen anything like it. If I were Gus I would walk, He doesn't need this crap, he's to great a coach.
The only time we say Gus offense was at the end of the 1st half. We go 80 yds in 42 sec and score. We should have hung 50+ on Utah St, but our DEFENSE SUXS, and so does this HYBRID Nutt Offense.

Pignutx32

I appreciate your work Mike.  I like it when people pull their emotions out of the equation and go off of facts and solid sources.  MM's and Gus' words are encouraging, along with Mumu's. 

Also, I agree, we have some stuff to get worked out.

hoggin das

Thanks for the sensible report Mike. It makes sense and is about what I expected. Look at Stafford at Georgia. He played most of the game yesterday (his first significant playing time) and had 3 picks. That's not what we wanted, and besides, the offense is learning a new system.

The defense stopped USU when they had to and preserved a shutout. They were deflated after the USC game, and obviously lacked intensity. That has to get corrected for Vandy, and I expect it will.

Wooisme

September 10, 2006, 09:35:45 am #37 Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 09:39:36 am by Wooisme
Quote from: HedgeDweller on September 10, 2006, 09:00:51 am
Thank you Mike for providing a voice of reason, or at least a indication of what is really happening up there.
People over react so quickly, it looked like an attempted coup of a banana republic on here last night.
This change in offensive techniques will take a few games to get settled in, you can't expect it to be clicking right away.  It will come.
Seems people that are upset by only scoring 20 on them forget that there were 14 more we should have had - McFadden fumbling at the 1, and Dick missing an all alone Hillis in the end zone.
34-0 would probably have kept things somewhat calmer on here....

Hedgedwellar,

This is not directed at you in any personal negative "way".  The reason many fans have reacted this way is because we've seen and heard this "stuff" all before...

Before the game, we actually heard Clay Henry say, "I doubt we'll see all the offense this evening.  Houston doesn't want to show Vandy and Bama everything."

Gee...is "Orville Light" prophetic OR  merely a propagandist for Houston Nutt?

On the offensive side of the ball, we "act" as though we don't need to practice in real game situations ANYTHING EXCEPT what we've always done before...

As for the defense (LOL), I heard one of the "radio shillers" point out how big bad Wyoming took Virginia (a lower tier ACC program) to OVERTIME last night.  This supposedly to "justify" our defense for getting pushed around by a "pretend" D-1 team from that "hotbed" of high school & college football...UTAH!  

IF we can't pass-rush against Utah State (and we couldn't), what in heaven's name makes anyone think we will be able to do so in the SEC?  

Gee....I'm excited. ::)  One game does not a season make, not USC and not Utah State, but it's coming and OUR football team is NOT getting ready.

AND...guess what?  I already know the excuses "they" will use when our team "shows-up" for SEC play ill-prepared.  Why?  Because like many of you, I've heard the same NONSENSE from the same people for years.

How many fans have to get "fed-up" for there to be meaningful change?  
HDN: DID LESS with MORE than any coach in Razorback History.

JJHog

About the defense:
In summary:
We will see.

So in other words, most if not all the rujmors were heard were crap. They are trying to establish the run (with the I). Looks like it was  mostly Gus' new stuff, probably 60/40.
" Think Right, Do Right"

pigfoot

MM has to move around.  He can't stay in the pocket because the OL leaks like a sieve.  My sense is that we aren't seeing more of the Malzhan offense because the OL can't handle the blocking assignments.   Mike reports that Gus called the plans and that he was not held hostage.  He's a lot closer to the situation than I am, so he should know, and that's good enough for me.   After two games, the season doesn't look to be as promising as it once did when Gus, MM, and company came on board.  Maybe we're learning that our anointed saviors are going to have some serious growning pains. 
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

Hawg_Heaven

Quote from: pigfoot on September 10, 2006, 09:38:09 am
MM has to move around.  He can't stay in the pocket because the OL leaks like a sieve.  My sense is that we aren't seeing more of the Malzhan offense because the OL can't handle the blocking assignments.   Mike reports that Gus called the plans and that he was not held hostage.  He's a lot closer to the situation than I am, so he should know, and that's good enough for me.   After two games, the season doesn't look to be as promising as it once did when Gus, MM, and company came on board.  Maybe we're learning that our anointed saviors are going to have some serious growning pains. 

Yeah, I am sure Gus called the plays, but how much input did he have on the gameplan? That wasn't Gus ball no matter how you try to spin it.

GO

Thanks for the update Mike.

This team has a long way to go hopefully they can improve. I can't stand another 5 win season, or 6 for that matter.

ConwayKid

Mike,
I was at the game and it did look like two different offenses.  No cohesion and it looked like Mitch could never get in  a rythm.  He missed our tight end wide open on a bootleg and never looked comfortable.
If we our offense was just wanting to break this new offense in, then why a different approach against USC.  Why did we not use both styles against them?

I brought my wife to the game and she knows a little bit about football and even she was surprised by our
lack of offense.  It just looked like our receivers and quarterbacks could not get on the same page.  Are you sure we are working toward the spread.  I see this as going backwards. If you listen to Rainwater on the 5th quarter show you could tell it was deja vu all over again for him.  I find it hard to believe we are working into Gus's offense and not working back to Dale's.  I hope you are right.

Wooisme

LOL....and maybe we're learning that it's difficult enough to deal with the external opposition to "success" opponents present WITHOUT also facing internal strife from "behind the walls" while preparing for the "games" to come.  

Mal-A-Zahn (lol) has found himself in a "guerilla" war...not the best position to be in when your "commander" was forced to make you a "field general".  

Keep movin' Gus.....  Standing a post in a guerilla war will get you shot!  :razorback: 
HDN: DID LESS with MORE than any coach in Razorback History.

Mr. Hogback075

Thanks Mike, too bad no one will believe you.  too many conspiracy theorist who can't logically figure out things just are what they are, instead pushing their own emotional agenda's.

Folk's, if you think about it what he is saying makes sense if you know anything about football.  You work with the talent you have and that's that.  

Why does there have to be a "spin" on everything?  Just accept what mike is telling us and you will be a happier fan and your blood pressure will be lower because of it.  They have a plan and they are working on it.  Nothing changes over night no matter how much you "practice" on it.  You gotta see how things work in a real game.  

You can't teach a dumbass calculus in two classes, and you can't teach football players a new offense in two games.  You work things in slowly and you can't kill players confidence by doing things they can't do before they're ready.  They're gonna get better every week folks and that's what matters.

razor

Thanks for your hard work Mike, and I hope you are right about us eventually moving toward Gus ball. But I gotta tell you it doesn't look like it to me. I was at the game and that was a Houston Nutt called game if I've ever seen one. Hardly any passing on 1st down; McFadden right, McFadden right, then pass on 3rd and long when everyone knows we're gonna pass. I saw way too much of the lateral passing game. I hate to say this, but If Gus and Mitch are o.k. with the way things are going, then that worries me to death. So the substance of your report is disheartening to say the least, but thanks for your hard work and your honest reporting.

3kgthog

Phasing in the Malzahn offense as the season goes along? Then why did it appear we ran his offense 99-100% of the time against the #6 team in the country, but we go back to playing it safe against Utah freaking State? It makes no sense.

Our program has three puppetmasters playing with the strings and things are getting knotted up. Someone needs to break out some scissors.

Mr. Hogback075

Quote from: 3kgthog on September 10, 2006, 10:23:19 am
Phasing in the Malzahn offense as the season goes along? Then why did it appear we ran his offense 99-100% of the time against the #6 team in the country, but we go back to playing it safe against Utah freaking State? It makes no sense.

Our program has three puppetmasters playing with the strings and things are getting knotted up. Someone needs to break out some scissors.
It's called re-assesing and regrouping.

fire_hog

Quote from: Mr. Hogback075 on September 10, 2006, 10:29:47 am
It's called re-assesing and regrouping.

That, at least, has been a constant in the Houston Nutt era.
In a coaching business so full of phonies who talk character only to bend the rules, who consider the definition of discipline a player's weight-room attendance, who wouldn't dare pull something like this because it might hurt recruiting, here's Joe Pa, four decades on the job and not giving a damn. Except about what's right. - Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports

BKtheKing

Quote from: 3kgthog on September 10, 2006, 10:23:19 am

EXACTLY RIGHT!

Why run Gus ball against USC and the I against Blind Sisters of the Poor?

That makes no sense.