Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Two Possible Directions for this season to go

Started by Random Parsley, September 08, 2006, 10:58:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Random Parsley

September 08, 2006, 10:58:50 am Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 11:46:16 am by Random Parsley
Disclaimer: this is only my opinion.  Agree, disagree or modify as you see fit.  There are many here with more knowledge than I.

As I see it this season can go one of two very different ways.  As a Hog fan I'm hoping for the second.

Option One
Without diving into detail for the millionth time on the rumors, IF there is some level of dissension on the staff and/or among players, and IF they don't work together, and IF Gus/Alex aren't allowed to have heavy, heavy input in the O game plan, then I fear a mediocre record at best.  This could be compounded by a couple of key injuries in our thin, thin defense.  The bigger fear: even if we make it to a bowl game, showing "improvement" over the past two years, major damage will be done with regard to recruiting, dooming us to a long spell of mediocrity.  At best.  Heck, if we show fractures even 1/4 as deep as the rumors hint, I worry about recruiting and the future even if we win 9-10 games.  Kids and parents like to see successful stability, not back-biting.  Obviously the rumors have ramped up since the immediate aftermath of the USC game, but was concerns like this that led to my earlier posts calling for regime change.

I am now ready to wait and see how the season plays out, hoping for Option 2 below, unless a truly nuclear blast goes off.  I hope that's the last negative stuff I have to post for a long while...

Option 2
The coaches, offensive and defensive, get together and each contribute their strengths.  They all act like professional adults who want to succeed as a team.  JFB and HDN allow Gus/Alex to evolve an offensive game plan that best uses the talent we have.  It will change over time as players and their strengths and weaknesses become more clearly defined.  HDN, as much as he's lost my unquestioned support, still has some decent ideas to contribute.  As I was reminded in the thread about Press Row this morning, he ran a nice offense with downfield passing in 98-99.  If he can work WITH Gus/Alex and allow our young players to mature this could be a special year.  And the years after it could be even more special.

In other words, Option 2 has the rumors being false.  JFB lets his coaches figure out together what works, and the kids implement what they are taught.  Let's do this one.  Sounds fun to me and I'd like to watch the ride.  I'm just beyond ready to be part of the national conversation--the one about Top 25, bowls and BCS.  There will be some valleys in the growth process, but there will be peaks too, and more of those.