Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Emergence of Anthlon Bell

Started by sadhogfan, January 09, 2016, 03:30:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sadhogfan

I started this thread midway through last season, in which I discussed frustrations over Anthlon Bell's lack of development as a player.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=586765.msg9508056#msg9508056

It seems appropriate that I should acknowledge his significant improvement this year. Thus far, he has doubled his scoring (7.9 to 16.8) and rebounding (1.2 to 2.9), is turning the ball over less frequently (same turnovers in 50% more playing time), and is shooting at a much higher rate (FG 37% to 45.4%; 3pt 35.1% to 45.4%; FT 70.7% to 76.7 %).

The 2015-16 Hogs aren't as good as we might like, but Bell has stepped up as needed. I'm happy for him.

PonderinHog

There was a video of him practicing in Memphis last summer.  He was hitting everything.

hawginbigd1

I called it! Just like announcer said he knew he was going from role player to one of, if not the guy! I said he was going to be the leading scorer, he is consistently right there!

maxhog5

He cleaned up his form.  Arms and legs used to fly all over the place and he tended to drift on his jumper.  Now he is tight and goes straight up and down.  Kudos to him and the coaching staff for getting this done.

Kevin

he can score more ways, then just waiting on someone to create a 3 for him
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

popcornhog

Quote from: Kevin on January 09, 2016, 05:10:41 pm
he can score more ways, then just waiting on someone to create a 3 for him

Looked good on those quick release running jumpers inside 8 feet today!
WPS

Danny J

Quote from: popcornhog on January 09, 2016, 05:17:11 pm
Looked good on those quick release running jumpers inside 8 feet today!
I think that is the influence of Hannahs showing it can be done.

hobhog

Quote from: Danny J on January 09, 2016, 06:10:54 pm
I think that is the influence of Hannahs showing it can be done.

Just having two gunners with attitudes means everything. Need someone else to step up besides Moses and this team could get on a roll. Otherwise teams with good defensive guards will shut us down. But fun to watch when goes well....I'm pleasantly shocked.

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: hobhog on January 09, 2016, 06:26:30 pm
Just having two gunners with attitudes means everything. Need someone else to step up besides Moses and this team could get on a roll. Otherwise teams with good defensive guards will shut us down. But fun to watch when goes well....I'm pleasantly shocked.
I see Durham bringing a much better game this year on the floor. If we can put it all together, I think we will shock some SEC teams this year.
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

spahoopsfan

I've said this since the beginning of the year. Bell and hannahs has needed to be on the floor together. It is not hard to stop one shooter, for instance Rodnei Clarke was the only shooter on the floor and they would put a 6-6 or 6-7 guy on him and stop hi.  Earlier we had hannahs substituting for Bell. You cover the one on the floor and who is going to score?  You put two and one will get open or open of the floor for Durham to get the ball to Kingsley.  The last two games with both on the floor and been fun to watch.  I know Hannahs didn't have a good game against Vandy but his presence helped get Bell looks and opened up passing lanes for Kingsley because they couldn't pack it in.

TNhawgfan

he has hit some clutch threes to force overtime or take a late lead too. I'm man enough to admit I never thought he'd be this clutch!
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

rmcchris

This, the two gunners, can't lock down on one shooter and take the one shooter out of the game.  With two spotting up, it is much tougher on the defense.  Nice job of high post inside then outside tonight!  WPS

cardsNhogs

I've always enjoyed watching Bell play. He is a favorite of mine. Glad to see him put it all together his Sr year.

BigSexyHog

Bell has been one of my favs since he got here.  He takes alot of crap from hog fans most of it is uncalled for but people especially hog fans love to eat their own at times.  Just glad to see him playing well this year. 
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

panhandlepig

I agree on Bell. I've always pulled for him and enjoyed watching him play. He is one of my favorites in some ways like Qualls was. I always thought he was a minute away from getting it together and doing something special. Go ANT

HognitiveDissonance

You want/expect your guys to play their best ball as seniors, and Bell is doing that.

Bell was a 3-star recruit, and averaging over his career that's how he's performed. Early on, probably less than that, but as a senior, probably playing like a 4-star. But average over 4 years, he's been a 3-star. But that's very typical of most guys, start out a little green but play well with more experience and comfort level.

Said the same thing about Brandon Allen. 3-star QB recruit who played like that overall, but as a senior was playing much higher level than that.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 09, 2016, 11:16:37 pm
You want/expect your guys to play their best ball as seniors, and Bell is doing that.

Bell was a 3-star recruit, and averaging over his career that's how he's performed. Early on, probably less than that, but as a senior, probably playing like a 4-star. But average over 4 years, he's been a 3-star. But that's very typical of most guys, start out a little green but play well with more experience and comfort level.

Said the same thing about Brandon Allen. 3-star QB recruit who played like that overall, but as a senior was playing much higher level than that.
Ehh reach, BA was top 10 rated position player, and a 4* most places! Should have much loftier expectations for him!

Soooie21

Do need someone else to step up down low, Moses the most, he tends to play to low....keep the ball too low when he gets the ball down low...needs more attitude..

lefty08

Hannahs and bell are deadly together. I like Dusty starting with bell, but the issue is you get what we saw yesterday, the bench scoring suffers and you lose leads
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

spahoopsfan

Quote from: lefty08 on January 10, 2016, 12:32:28 pm
Hannahs and bell are deadly together. I like Dusty starting with bell, but the issue is you get what we saw yesterday, the bench scoring suffers and you lose leads
But if you don't you don't get the lead.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 09, 2016, 11:45:41 pm
Ehh reach, BA was top 10 rated position player, and a 4* most places! Should have much loftier expectations for him!
Depends on the rating service.
The one I recall had Brandon a 3-star and his brother Austin was a 4-star.

Hawg Red

I did not realize that Bell has taken 22 more 3s than Dusty this season, and it still shooting almost a full percentage point better from 3. Would have never thought that would be happening this far into the season.

Hopefully those two are still hot from Saturday night.

hawginbigd1

This is what I was expecting, but I thought that Whitt was going to be one of "the" guys based on the hype. I thought that getting Bell and Hannahs in the game together was going to give us our best offense.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=597495.msg9848315#msg9848315

gmarv

if hannahs and bell keep getting as many minutes as they did against ms.st. the bench scoring won,t matter as much . hannahs got 37 minutes and bell got 33. the ?? becomes can they hold up over several games.

moses_007

Bell has consistently shown he's our scorer this season.  I'm proud of him.

lefty08

Quote from: gmarv on January 12, 2016, 03:20:57 pm
if hannahs and bell keep getting as many minutes as they did against ms.st. the bench scoring won,t matter as much . hannahs got 37 minutes and bell got 33. the ?? becomes can they hold up over several games.

That's why we need Beard to be a leader on the 2nd team, they can't last playing that many minutes. The most important part of the shot is the legs
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

gmarv

Quote from: gmarv on January 12, 2016, 03:20:57 pm
well shows what I know the bench is coming up big so far in this game.wps