Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anthlon Bell’s Career Thus Far

Started by sadhogfan, January 23, 2015, 11:39:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sadhogfan

This is not meant to be a player-bashing thread, so let's keep it away from that direction. We are a little over halfway through this season, which basically means that, as a junior, Bell is about 2/3 of the way through his career as a Hog.

I'm trying to remember back, and I feel like when Bell was first signed that some projected that he would be an outstanding shooter, the kind of guy who would make us forget Rotnei Clarke was ever here and not care that he had transferred, etc. Is that accurate? Am I misremembering, or were we not pretty excited about this guy?

Remember, we went through a good period of time in the Pelphrey years when we were a terrible shooting team, with only Clarke being consistently good from behind the arc. Bell was recruited as an outside shooter, but Madden and Qualls have been better this year, as have Beard and Portis (though with many fewer attempts).

Now, we've known for a while that Bell is a pretty one-dimensional player and he's never going to make an all-defensive team (though it seems to me that he has worked to improve in this area), but he has simply never become a consistent shooter for us.

He has improved slightly every year; see the progression below from his freshman to junior seasons:

YR: 12-13/13-14/14-15
FGM: 1.5/2.6/3.1
FG%: .328/.378/.382
3PM: 1.1/1.6/1.9
3P%: .317/.331/.347
PPG: 4.4/7.2/8.9

His improvement has been gradual, and maybe that will continue for the last 1/3 of his career. Unfortunately, I think he really needs to progress significantly (i.e. at a higher rate than he has thus far) in order to merit so much playing time (21.1 MPG this season). In addition to his mediocre defense, part of Bell's problem is that he can be a black hole on offense: whenever ball goes to him he almost always immediately shoots it. That can be a problem when you are shooting 38% from the field.

On the other hand, if you lose Madden (a senior), Portis (almost certainly gone), and Qualls (possibly/probably gone) after this season, you might desperately need Bell for his outside shooting ability, even if he lingers around 35%.

rusvegashog

January 24, 2015, 02:22:26 am #1 Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 02:34:13 am by rusvegashog
He's not even In the same realm as RC as a shooter and if he was projected to be then that was from some posters on a message board that didn't have a freaking clue what they were talking about. Love him or hate him RC is one of the elite shooters to ever dawn a Razorback jersey. If we had a shooter of that ability on this team and a brute download to defend and intimidate we would be a top 10 team. Then again the way we defend the perimeter at times if AB could play against us he might average 20 a game.

The_Bionic_Pig

Daryl Macon is the closest thing to a elite shooter and he's not stepping foot on campus until 2016.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Pig Worshipper

Surely it would be better to give more minutes to another one of our guards who plays better defense? Also, they would probably be able to shoot at a higher percentage as well. Make Madden the shooting guard and Beard the point.

Cresthog

Dusty Hannah's? He at least has a sweet nascar name.

Dominicanhog

January 24, 2015, 08:21:54 am #5 Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 08:49:06 am by Dominicanhog
Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 24, 2015, 07:37:32 am
Daryl Macon is the closest thing to a elite shooter and he's not stepping foot on campus until 2016.

That's right and He, Whitt, Babb, Beard, Dusty, & Monk could be a pretty good backcourt.. shooters, leapers, slashers all covered...

latrops

Quote from: Cresthog on January 24, 2015, 08:18:30 am
Dusty Hannah's? He at least has a sweet nascar name.

This.  Between the two of them, maybe one will be hot most nights.  Bell has been inconsistent and simply not as good a shooter as Rotnei was.  In terms of pure shooting ability, though, Clarke was special.  It's a shame that he came along at a low point for Hog basketball.  Because of the lack of team success and ultimate decision to leave, many turned against him in spite of the 3 good years he gave us.  It'd be nice to have him as a sophomore or junior right now.

mhuff

Quote from: rusvegashog on January 24, 2015, 02:22:26 am
He's not even In the same realm as RC as a shooter and if he was projected to be then that was from some posters on a message board that didn't have a freaking clue what they were talking about. Love him or hate him RC is one of the elite shooters to ever dawn a Razorback jersey. If we had a shooter of that ability on this team and a brute download to defend and intimidate we would be a top 10 team. Then again the way we defend the perimeter at times if AB could play against us he might average 20 a game.

He might average 20 a night playing against us...... agree. However, I for one was in the camp that felt he would be a great shooter. I never thought he would be as good as RC. Bell shot 50% his senior year on 3P shots. My criticism is often about his lack of defense even though it may have improved. What about the nights he is not on? He does not score and he is a decided liability. We never know who is going to show up. His shooting % overall is not good. However there is nothing wrong with his 3P% if he would only play defense.

razorJAcker

Anyone else notice how often his shots go in and out?  Could be that a minor mechanical adjustment gets those shots to go in and his 3pt% to go over 40%, which would be great for somebody in his role.

RazorAg

Quote from: sadhogfan on January 23, 2015, 11:39:23 pm

I'm trying to remember back, and I feel like when Bell was first signed that some projected that he would be an outstanding shooter, the kind of guy who would make us forget Rotnei Clarke was ever here and not care that he had transferred, etc. Is that accurate? Am I misremembering, or were we not pretty excited about this guy?

I'm sure there were some that compared to Rotnei, as there is always embellishment on message boards, but those that did were either too excited or didn't know enough.

That said, I did post and think that Bell would be a 40% 3pt guy.  Not necessarily a consistent, high volume shot maker, but someone who could stick it at a pretty high percentage level.  I based my thoughts off of watching him in person and on film double-digit times.

Of course, I've been disappointed.  He's streaky at best to this point.  He just rushes his shot too much.  When he can slow his body down and get in rhythm, he's a very good shooter.

PonderinHog

Quote from: razorJAcker on January 24, 2015, 11:23:53 am
Anyone else notice how often his shots go in and out?  Could be that a minor mechanical adjustment gets those shots to go in and his 3pt% to go over 40%, which would be great for somebody in his role.
Asked...
Quote from: RazorAg on January 24, 2015, 11:24:52 am
I'm sure there were some that compared to Rotnei, as there is always embellishment on message boards, but those that did were either too excited or didn't know enough.

That said, I did post and think that Bell would be a 40% 3pt guy.  Not necessarily a consistent, high volume shot maker, but someone who could stick it at a pretty high percentage level.  I based my thoughts off of watching him in person and on film double-digit times.

Of course, I've been disappointed.  He's streaky at best to this point.  He just rushes his shot too much.  When he can slow his body down and get in rhythm, he's a very good shooter.
And answered.

I've said for a year that I think Hannahs is a slightly better version of the same type of player as Bell.  Next year, Hannahs may take his minutes . . . if MA will sit a senior in favor of a better lower classmen.

mhuff

Quote from: RazorAg on January 24, 2015, 11:24:52 am

I always thought that his three point shot would be better if he didn't jump forward when he shot..... flattens out shot.

PonderinHog

At least we are not trying to run our entire offense through and around Bell,like we tried with a former player.

bigred223

I think Babb needs more of Bells minutes so he can prove himself.

hog.goblin

I think Bell is streaky and inconsistent because of his minutes.  He knows he has to jack up shots and make them or he is going to be pulled.

I think the more minutes he plays the better shooter he will be.

The problem is can his defense be good enough to make it worthwhile.  Generally I would say no, but at this point who is playing defense?