Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

You're a mean one...

Started by WoooPigSooieShane, December 13, 2017, 12:01:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hog of steele

Quote from: 311Hog on December 15, 2017, 02:06:39 pm
I have an easier time seeing a DC that failed as a HC move back to DC than i do a young guy whos stock is really high making this move unless as you say the writing is on the wall and he will be the DC.

Were it me, that is what I would say. But he has different knowledge. He may feel confident that the DC will move on. He may just want to learn some offensive stuff under Urban "brain cloud" Meyer. Apparently ash went for the coDC title and it worked out for him.

He would be stupid for taking one of Bama's analyst jobs. Those are "non coaching" positions that would not make sense for a guy with other offers.

HF#1

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 15, 2017, 02:04:53 pm
he could have had an offer, but that doesn't mean a contract was ready to sign.  and once the university recieved the vetting information that "offer" may have been rescinded, thus he decided to sign the extension.

Our definitions of "offer" must be different. If someone "offers" me a job, I either accept or decline. If I accept, I expect to be moving forward with that company or institution. I don't expect them to come back and say "Sorry, we found someone better".
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hog of steele

Quote from: HF#1 on December 15, 2017, 02:10:39 pm
Our definitions of "offer" must be different. If someone "offers" me a job, I either accept or decline. If I accept, I expect to be moving forward with that company or institution. I don't expect them to come back and say "Sorry, we found someone better".

This is way different in executive fields. I accept an offer in my field and it means that they start crawling into my history. They like me and I like them, but now they are going to check all the stuff I told them. If something comes up at that point, the "offer" I accepted doesn't exist anymore.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HF#1 on December 15, 2017, 01:53:35 pm
There is no way he had an official legit offer and decided to sign extension with Memphis. If he had an offer, it wasn't official or from the University itself.
i agree with that, sure. but when he got it, it was real enough he told friends he was coming. stuff changed.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

PorkSoda

Quote from: HF#1 on December 15, 2017, 02:10:39 pm
kind of like recruiting.  verbal commits aren't binding.  until the contract is signed the offer can be pulled at any time.

its just reality.  you don't have to like it.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hog of steele on December 15, 2017, 01:53:10 pm
Starting in January, football teams will have 10 assistants. So you don't have to fire someone to hire someone. He would be a full assistant there. His job title would be coDC not defense analyst or anything like that.
but if he isnt calling plays he aint going there.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 15, 2017, 02:14:58 pm
kind of like recruiting.  verbal commits aren't binding.  until the contract is signed the offer can be pulled at any time.

accurate
@Slackaveli

HF#1

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 15, 2017, 02:14:58 pm

I personally don't believe that is how it went down or how the University conducts its business. There is more evidence that Norvell was likely just an early candidate and that is it. No interview, no offer, nothing.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HognitiveDissonance

Grinch?
At Christmas time?

You can't make this up.

ambien_sky

Apparently,  according to this,   He has interviewed at Alabama,  Texas AM, and the Florida Gators.   If this is true -  I think our chances of landing him are not very good.  I didn't know he had those other schools interested in him.

//https://www.cougcenter.com/wsu-cougars-football/2017/12/14/16778820/alex-grinch-defensive-coordinator-texas-a-m-arkansas

Smashmouth2004

Hogindasticks

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Smashmouth2004 on December 15, 2017, 10:03:33 pm
We're getting Venables so don't worry!

Screw that. If Grinch is considering jobs as a position coach I say get both! Venables for AHC/DC/LB and Grinch for Co-DC/DB.

Go big or go home.

lol

SoonerBaHog

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 15, 2017, 10:17:39 pm
Screw that. If Grinch is considering jobs as a position coach I say get both! Venables for AHC/DC/LB and Grinch for Co-DC/DB.

Go big or go home.

lol
[/quote

I'm with you on this one.  Get 'em both!

Phil D

Quote from: Wildhog on December 13, 2017, 01:17:35 pm
They had one of the best defenses in a league full of high scoring offenses with arguably the worst talent in the conference.  He's done a remarkable job.

I have no idea if he will be the new DC or not, but I had to reply because this is probably the first time I have agreed with a statement you have made, +1 sir for what it is worth lol.
GO HOGS!!!!!!

oldman1015

Quote from: ambien_sky on December 15, 2017, 09:38:53 pm
Apparently,  according to this,   He has interviewed at Alabama,  Texas AM, and the Florida Gators.   If this is true -  I think our chances of landing him are not very good.  I didn't know he had those other schools interested in him.

//https://www.cougcenter.com/wsu-cougars-football/2017/12/14/16778820/alex-grinch-defensive-coordinator-texas-a-m-arkansas
And he is not good enough for most on here.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Hawginj

A&M wants SC DC, Bama hired Golding yesterday, and Florida brought Grantham with Mullen so i would say Arkansas has a great chance to get him. After CM on Finebaum sounds like we are just waiting to anounce after the 20th and/or bowl game.

jackflash

if we don't get Venables I would consider Grinch a big time hire

The NewEra

Supposedly Grinch is a target by Ohio State for their 10th coaching position.  My gut tells me he would prefer to be a Defensive Coordinator in the SEC than a 10th coach somewhere else, but who knows what goes through someone else's head?

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/12/alex_grinch_linked_to_ohio_sta.html

Grinch is from Grove City and played his college football at Mount Union, where he won three national championships. Those are two major Ohio connections.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Meyer has a track record of sending coordinators and co-coordinators to head coaching jobs. If your goal is to be a head coach, working under Meyer is a definite selling point and it wouldn't hurt him at all going from a DC to a CoDC.

Also, A&M wants South Carolina DC, Bama hired Golding, and Florida hired Grantham. So it appears that it's basically between Ohio State and us based on all of the reports out there.

Porknoxville

If schiano stays, then how in the heck or why in the heck would Grinch want to go there as a position coach or even a co-defensive coordinator. They are either going to get rid of Schiano, or he's going to leave for another job and they bring Grinch onboard as the DC. Otherwise he is not going to Ohio State as a defensive backs coach plus that would be a million-dollar price tag for a position coach.jmo

Lanlord

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Lanlord on December 17, 2017, 03:49:58 pm
http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-wazzu-defensive-coordinator-alex-grinch-candidate-join-ohio-state-staff/

Sources: Wazzu defensive coordinator Alex Grinch a candidate to join Ohio State staff

Just a little late on that breaking news there.....................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jry04

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 15, 2017, 01:51:45 pm
lots of us heard it when it happened. apparently there really was two search parties.
You were wrong. Own it. Quit trying to spin it to save face. You flip-flopped all month long about whether it was Gus or whether it was Norvell. When Gus was ruled out you guaranteed Norvell, and went as far to say he was signed, and gave BS unreasonable responses as to why we were delaying. He was never signed, he was just waiting to sign his extension. It was always Malzahn then Morris.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Lanlord on December 17, 2017, 03:49:58 pm
http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-wazzu-defensive-coordinator-alex-grinch-candidate-join-ohio-state-staff/

Sources: Wazzu defensive coordinator Alex Grinch a candidate to join Ohio State staff

About 3 days too late. Still 3 days ahead of Jim Harris

LZH

Quote from: jry04 on December 17, 2017, 04:19:57 pm
You were wrong. Own it. Quit trying to spin it to save face. You flip-flopped all month long about whether it was Gus or whether it was Norvell. When Gus was ruled out you guaranteed Norvell, and went as far to say he was signed, and gave BS unreasonable responses as to why we were delaying. He was never signed, he was just waiting to sign his extension. It was always Malzahn then Morris.
Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on December 17, 2017, 04:38:20 pm
About 3 days too late. Still 3 days ahead of Jim Harris

Hogville moves so fast it just.........

Snout team

Quote from: LZH on December 17, 2017, 04:42:21 pm
Hogville moves so fast it just.........

.....messes you up.

What in the world are we going to do with this statement now that we run the HUNH
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

LZH

Quote from: #hammerdown on December 17, 2017, 08:10:33 pm
.....messes you up.

What in the world are we going to do with this statement now that we run the HUNH

Mess someone up!

BR

From Twitter;         Washington State Defensive Coordinator, Alex Grinch, was in Columbus again today & attended Ohio State practice. @FootballScoop reported that both parties had mutual interest. Grinch is an Ohio native & a Mount Union alum.
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: jackflash on December 16, 2017, 08:36:03 am
if we don't get Venables I would consider Grinch a big time hire

Anyone unhappy with Grinch would be unhappy with anybody.