Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AG&F Confirms Mountain Lions in Arkansas SIAP

Started by OldCoot, December 02, 2013, 01:14:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OldCoot

Didn't see this posted.  Finally they admit they are here, trying to find out if they are reproducing.  If they are here and there are males and females, they ARE reproducing.

http://www.katv.com/video?clipId=9571027&topVideoCatNo=189706&autoStart=true

ifghog

Ok so glad they finally admit it. The fact is they have no choice. They are becoming abundant. Saturday I was sitting in a deer stand with a my 12 yr old nephew. I was watching two does and he was about to shot one. They all of a sudden took off. I knew that hadn't seen us. We were hunting a long Weyerhauser road so I could see 200 yds both ways. We looked up and a BIG Mountain Lion was coming down the road right at us. No doubt about it. Tale was longer than he was! LOL. Here is my question. Can we shoot them or are they protected. I know of a dog and three cats that have disappeared in the last month. I know why now. We were less than a quarter of a mile from my house. I almost shot it. Just didn't know what would happen. I see him in my yard there it won't go well for the big cat. Just curious of what yall think.

OldCoot

Whatever the AGFC rule book says.  I think basically if it doesn't have a season, you aren't supposed to shoot it.  Pigs are different because they are classified as feral domesticated animals. 

If one comes up on me though, one of us will be dead before it is over with.

AnonymousHog

This is where the case comes in that I learned a long time ago.  The 3 S's.  Shoot, Shovel and Shut up.

ifghog

Quote from: AnonymousHog on December 02, 2013, 02:37:05 pm
This is where the case comes in that I learned a long time ago.  The 3 S's.  Shoot, Shovel and Shut up.
ahh haaa!!! Gotcha!!

CallThemHawgs!

This.

Not saying I have done it before, but its good advice.

Also, I would like to add that my entire collection of firearms was lost in a fishing accident last weekend.

twistitup

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on December 02, 2013, 11:48:06 pm
This.

Also, I would like to add that my entire collection of firearms was lost in a fishing accident last weekend.

Firearms, fishing accident? What happened?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

HuntinHog

Next to gun safety there is nothing more important to teach your kid than the proper use of the three S rule.  And I'm dead serious about that.

pigture perfect

No body. No Case. That's what I've learned from all those cop shows. Just make sure it's not tagged electronically.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

JIMMY BOARFFETT

The typical Arkansas red neck is not at that level of sophistication.  The first thing he will do is throw it in the back of his truck, drive to the local quick stop and say, " now y'all don't tell anybody, but..."
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

pioneerhog

Quote from: Dude on December 02, 2013, 02:15:12 pm
Whatever the AGFC rule book says.  I think basically if it doesn't have a season, you aren't supposed to shoot it.  Pigs are different because they are classified as feral domesticated animals. 

If one comes up on me though, one of us will be dead before it is over with.
Just say it charged you so you shot it. If you feel threatened you can take care of yourself against any animal at any time, or at least that is my understanding of it.

DeltaBoy

I believe we have had those big cats in the state since the 1980's but they denounced ,deflected and denied when we reported what we saw and when one got hit a by a car and killed they claimed it was an escaped exotic pet.   Good for AGNF to man up!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on December 03, 2013, 08:14:09 am

The typical Arkansas red neck is not at that level of sophistication.  The first thing he will do is throw it in the back of his truck, drive to the local quick stop and say, " now y'all don't tell anybody, but..."

LOL.....classic
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on December 03, 2013, 08:14:09 am

LOL...yeah, or he will drive to the local quick stop & ask everybody in there.....hey, can I borrow a shovel, just shot this big mountain lion....

tophawg19

Quote from: Dude on December 02, 2013, 01:14:29 pm
Didn't see this posted.  Finally they admit they are here, trying to find out if they are reproducing.  If they are here and there are males and females, they ARE reproducing.

http://www.katv.com/video?clipId=9571027&topVideoCatNo=189706&autoStart=true

nope they are on birth control
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

tophawg19

Aman after my own heart. i ain't going to be out in the dark again with one . once was enough for my lifetime
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Rzbakfromwaybak

This.

John Quincy.....sorry to hear this...please tell us how this happened?

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 03, 2013, 06:42:37 pm

Worse than that.  The AGFC has said they don't reproduce here.  Evidently against the law for mountain lions to have sex inside the state borders.  Takes a lot of game camera's to catch them & enforce this law. 

OTTER

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 03, 2013, 06:42:37 pm
As required by Obamacare? (I'm sorry, I just couldn't pass that up--my bad)
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on December 03, 2013, 06:54:37 pm
John Quincy.....sorry to hear this...please tell us how this happened?

Oh you know, just rowing along in the canoe on the Arkansas river when blomp... tipped over. All my guns, gone. Bottom of the river never to be seen again. Im ok with it, I still have them in spirit.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on December 03, 2013, 08:19:00 pm
Oh you know, just rowing along in the canoe on the Arkansas river when blomp... tipped over. All my guns, gone. Bottom of the river never to be seen again. Im ok with it, I still have them in spirit.

You forgot the, "That's my story and I'm stickin' to it" part.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

OTTER

"So, you were gun running along the Arkansas River?!  Who was you intending to sell those guns to feller?  And don't you try to hide nothin' either.  Why ole Festus don't get fooled so easy, ya know".
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

JaketheSnake

Quote from: pioneerhog on December 03, 2013, 08:26:35 am
Just say it charged you so you shot it. If you feel threatened you can take care of yourself against any animal at any time, or at least that is my understanding of it.
Exactly.   But dont try to hide it!  Call the AGFC after and let them examine it...

Rzbakfromwaybak

Man, that is tough.  Wished you could have at least recovered some of them.  You must have been expecting to see a lot of game animals out there fishing....with your whole gun collection on board.  Please be careful from now on.  We don't want to read about you losing all your fishing tackle in the woods, while squirrel or deer hunting.

kodiakisland

This.

I feel for you.  I really do.  I lost all mine in a hunting cabin fire. 
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

DOGALUM

Mine also sit at the bottom of the river.  I keep going back with guns though.....and they keep drowning.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: DOGALUM on December 03, 2013, 10:24:31 pm
Mine also sit at the bottom of the river.  I keep going back with guns though.....and they keep drowning.

Lol, its a never ending cycle... I tell you what, there are some well armed channel cats down there in the depths.

twistitup

I was coon hunting one time and lost all of my tackle boxes. They all fell down an abandoned well in the woods.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

DOGALUM

Quote from: twistitup on December 04, 2013, 04:58:29 am
I was coon hunting one time and lost all of my tackle boxes. They all fell down an abandoned well in the woods.
the irony is not lost on me.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

CPO Hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 03, 2013, 10:09:38 am
I believe we have had those big cats in the state since the 1980's but they denounced ,deflected and denied when we reported what we saw and when one got hit a by a car and killed they claimed it was an escaped exotic pet.   Good for AGNF to man up!
They have always been in south Ark. There are more now because there are more eyes to see them with. I saw one in '76 and another in '78, give or take a year. For several years in the 70's one would run the creek behind our house. We would see his tracks and hear him at night. Cattle and dogs would be all worked up for a couple weeks every fall. My brother saw one in the late 60's. My dad and uncles had several big cat stories.

Wildhog

Quote from: CPO Hog on December 09, 2013, 09:22:18 am
They have always been in south Ark. There are more now because there are more eyes to see them with.

Growing up, we saw them on numerous occasions around my house in El Dorado.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HogBreath

Ran across what I thought was a big cat track back in '77, then found a bunch of tracks in the snow in 87' or '88, same general area, both near a big creek, the ones in the snow crossed the creek..have never seen one.

I did see a black cat near Nashville one evening, first thought it was a house cat, but it was just too big for that.  Supposedly black panthers don't exist.  Not sure what it was.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

RazorPiggie

My dad had a picture of one on the game cam this year down around Ozark.

RazorPiggie

RazorPiggie

RazorPiggie

Welcome. They said the tree it is standing next to is a very mature pine and the base is probably about a foot wide in the picture.

OldCoot

kodiakisland

Quote from: Dude on December 10, 2013, 03:16:58 pm
Not to discredit but it looks like a coyote.

Mnt Lions only show up on 90's quality game cams.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Wildhog

I wasn't aware it was even a debate until I saw it on this board. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 10, 2013, 04:43:00 pm
Mnt Lions only show up on 90's quality game cams.

Like Nessy and Bigfoot. They can sense the technology

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Dude on December 10, 2013, 03:16:58 pm
Not to discredit but it looks like a coyote.

Just by looking at the mussel and tail I can see its not.

And I have no idea how old the game cam is but you can see the date and time from the picture.

RazorPiggie

RazorPiggie

Both them and I believe it is a mountain lion and from looking up pics from game cams of both mt lion and coyotes I think it is.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: CPO Hog on December 09, 2013, 09:22:18 am
They have always been in south Ark. There are more now because there are more eyes to see them with. I saw one in '76 and another in '78, give or take a year. For several years in the 70's one would run the creek behind our house. We would see his tracks and hear him at night. Cattle and dogs would be all worked up for a couple weeks every fall. My brother saw one in the late 60's. My dad and uncles had several big cat stories.

We heard and reported seeing them in the White River Refuge back in the 1980s and we were called nuts.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DeltaBoy

Yep that was a Putty cat that will EAT YOU!

Porkys Revenge

Rockpig5

This^^^

DeltaBoy