Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Does Bielema's first 4 years compare to other Hog Coaches?

Started by Ben, November 28, 2016, 01:35:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

looks similar to ford, who also took over a dumbster fire of a program.

The way I see it, is that BB will never get us to elite status.  but given time he can build a solid foundation so that when the right coach comes along he can step into a good situation.  similar to how sumlin stepped into a good program rebuilt by sherman.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Gonzo

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on November 28, 2016, 03:38:50 pm
By all accounts looking at the production of this years team and factoring the players we lose we are not looking at an upward trend for next season. Everyone should brace themselves.

I hope you're wrong of course. I wasn't predicting either way, just citing I think it will be a good indicator. If I had to bet, I would tend to side with you on this one, and that saddens me as a Hog fan. If it's status quo, I think he will be under pressure for 2018, if it's a regression, I think almost anything is possible.

Go Hogs!

buldozer

Yea so far CBB's win loss record sucks. It wouldn't shock me if he jumps ship for the first offer that comes along before his wisky accomplishments are completely erased with his poor dismal performance here. By now he has prolly figured out the SEC W is not for him and looking for an easy way out. Probably make up some junk about how he couldn't pay his coaches like he needed to in order to keep them in order to have success and jump ship to the big12 or somewhere with little competition where he can sit back and recruit #40 classes of players every year, go to a championship every few years, shoot off his mouth like a fool and act like a big dog in a small kennel.

casken

Quote from: Ben on November 28, 2016, 01:35:58 pm
Just as a point of reference, here is how Bielema compares to other Hog Coaches after the first 4 Seasons, not including the bowl game this year.

Holtz: 37-10-1 (78%)
Bezdek: 25-7-1 (77%)
Hatfield: 35-13-1 (72%)
Petrino: 34-17 (67%)
Broyles: 29-14 (67%)
Nutt: 30-18 (62%)
Schmidt: 21-13-3 (61%)
Barnhill: 22-17-3 (56%)
Bielema: 25-25 (50%)
Ford: 22-23-1 (49%)
Thomsen: 14-19-3 (48%)

SEC W makes a heck of a difference. Not always apples to apples in comparison.
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

LRrazorback

Quote from: hogsanity on November 28, 2016, 03:31:51 pm
BP was not left with much, especially for his preferred style of play. HE was left with some decent players, especially 2 or 3 defenders that were rs fr in 2008. He also signed a class in 2008, probably his best class, that was heavy on Ar kids ( 16 iirc ) that were really suited to his offensive style.

BB was left with NOTHING. The 2010 and 2011 classes were almost non-existent due to injury and departures, and the 2012 class, coming off back to back 10+ win seasons was terrible on paper, and even worse on the field. The only real talent BB was left with were some good DL players. Had to start a rs Soph with almost no experience at QB, 2 or 3 FR on the OL, a Fr at LB, and FR played alot at CB and safety. Knowing that year was going to be terrible regardless, it was too bad they could not red shirt the entire 2013 class. 

Wrong
This thinking is a total misconception. Look at the draft picks during their first three years here. CBB had more than double the draft picks and free agent signings than did CBP. CBB should've won more than his talent indicated.

Everyone just needs to face it- he's not a good coach for our university and the limitations that come with this job.  It can't be more plain and simple than this.

mweston

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 28, 2016, 01:57:49 pm
Butch Davis 31-15 in first 4 seasons at Miami
Larry Coker 44-6 in his first 4 at Miami

What should I conclude? 

Larry Coker 26–32 in five seasons at UTSA trying to build a program from scratch

hogsanity

Quote from: LRrazorback on November 28, 2016, 04:20:35 pm
Wrong
This thinking is a total misconception. Look at the draft picks during their first three years here. CBB had more than double the draft picks and free agent signings than did CBP. CBB should've won more than his talent indicated.

Everyone just needs to face it- he's not a good coach for our university and the limitations that come with this job.  It can't be more plain and simple than this.

How many for each? How many of BB's were here when he got here and how many did he bring in. Derby, AC, Kirkland, Spaight, Henry were BB recruits. BA, JWill, Flowers and the other Dl draftee were already here.

Bp inherited Bequette, Franklin, DJ Williams, and it seems like an Olineman and a Db that either got drafted or signed as a FA. He signed Childs, Gragg, Wright, Adams, Wilson, Hamilton, & Knile Davis.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Cure

What are the records of coaches immediately following a Petrino departure?
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hogsanity

Quote from: Cure on November 28, 2016, 04:31:03 pm
What are the records of coaches immediately following a Petrino departure?

Louisville was 6-6 the year following
Ar was 4-8 the year following
WKU was 8-5 the year following.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Ben

Quote from: casken on November 28, 2016, 03:50:58 pm
SEC W makes a heck of a difference. Not always apples to apples in comparison.
Petrino and Nutt were in the SEC West too.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

luke hawg

Ford and Bielema have a lot in common. Both inherited the team after an interim was given the program due to a unplanned termination. It took Ford 5 years to build a complete roster on both sides of the ball. He was fired allowing Houston to coach are most complete team since joining the SEC. I loved that defense stacked with NFL talent. 2006 was a great team but 98 was our best chance to win the SEC. I'm not sure Bielema will make it to year 6.

1highhog

Hot dog, I was going to say he was the closet thing to Ford ans sure enough, he was.  The thing about Ford though is that he knew talent, and probably brought better talent than any other Coach other than Frank Broyles in his time here.

Ben

A lot of people have stated it isn't fair to compare Arkansas coaches when the SEC is stronger than the SWC. Here are some quick comparisons between Nutt, Petrino, and Bielema after year 4

Number of games against ranked teams (at gametime):
Nutt 17,
Petrino 22,
Bielema 26

Record against ranked teams at gametime:

Nutt 8-9 (47%),
Petrino 10-12 (45%),
Bielema 6-20 (23%)

Number of games against SEC teams that finished in the top 25:
Nutt 14,
Petrino 15,
Bielema, 19

Number of games against SEC West teams that finished in the Top 25:
Nutt 7,
Petrino 11,
Bielema 13

Record against SEC teams that finished in the Top 25:
Nutt 6-8 (42%),
Petrino 4-11 (27%),
Bielema 6-13 (31%)

Conference Record: Nutt 17-15, Petrino 17-15, Bielema 10-22

Bowl Record: Nutt 1-3, Petrino 2-1, Bielema 2-0* (Bowl result this year TBD)
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.

hogsanity

Tick Hog

Those are some interesting numbers. Nutt went on to win 9 games the next 2 years, then followed that up with 5 and 4 win seasons. It will be interesting to see how all this shakes out for CBB in years 5 and 6. I will predict two more 7-8 win seasons. Then what happens?

Ben

This really shows how much harder bielema does have it. I notice when the SEC West started gaining momentum, Nutt started to fall off tremendously at Ole Miss, even losing 10 games one year.

LZH

Quote from: luke hawg on November 28, 2016, 06:48:52 pm
Ford and Bielema have a lot in common. Both inherited the team after an interim was given the program due to a unplanned termination. It took Ford 5 years to build a complete roster on both sides of the ball. He was fired allowing Houston to coach are most complete team since joining the SEC. I loved that defense stacked with NFL talent. 2006 was a great team but 98 was our best chance to win the SEC. I'm not sure Bielema will make it to year 6.

Ford had us in the SECCG in year three. We didn't set the world on fire, but we won the SECW as fair as BB won his Big10 title at 8-4.

hogcard1964

King Kong